• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RoadtoVR: Reasearch Survey Suggests Kids (10-17) Are Aware of Major VR HMD's

Circinus

http://www.roadtovr.com/research-su...ajor-vr-headsets-want-buy-one-console-prices/

RoadtoVR said:
Before any information was presented to them, kids and teens had a pretty good understanding of the major VR headsets out there, according to Touchstone’s research. The most well-known headset among them—recognize by 38 percent of participants—was Samsung Gear VR, arguably the headset that’s closest to a consumer-level fit and finish on the market today. Oculus Rift, Sony Morpheus, Microsoft HoloLens, Google Cardboard, and Mattel’s View-master VR scored surprisingly similarly, rounding out about one-third of all kids and teens.

HTC Vive took last place at 19 percent, unsurprisingly so considering it has only just been shipped out to vetted developers early last month and has neither brand name recognition or flashy concept video to boast (but hey, there’s juggling!). Still, it was interesting to see no runaway leader in recognition for the major VR headsets among those 10–17 years old.

Here's the infographic into which Touchstone Research compiled their findings:

virtual-reality-infographic-kids-and-teens.jpg

Afrikan

interesting.

I'm actually kind of suprised. But I guess with youtube and social media, information and awareness travels much faster and farther than when I was a teen.

Crayon

Fun little presentation there. Fun info, too. My gut tells me vr is going to be huge in a "no going back" sort of way. This presentation agrees with how I see it.

Seanspeed

Banned
Ha. I wanted to make this thread yesterday but when I went back to the article page, the images weren't showing up!

baphomet

My ex-girlfriends 8 year old son knew exactly what I meant when I was telling him I was going to get virtual reality for my pc. He said "Oh, like that Oculus Rift?"

So even young kids know what it is. Honestly it surprised the hell out of me.

DavidDesu

I mean all it takes is for Youtubers to try out scary games on VR and boom millions of kids become aware of them.

Yep. It's a new age. VR, since it finally works as we always imagined ti should, could and should be a pretty big deal. I simply cannot abide the naysayers now who chime in completely writing it off, there's too much evidence of people being blown away by it for it to somehow not gain traction, sooner or later. Even something super simple like Minecraft in VR is going to be a revelation for people, and if kids and teenagers demand VR then they're going to sell. A lot.

Sony with the cheapest, simplest route to VR for most people stand with a very good chance of making this a successful business. I'll happily stake my avatar/pride on it! :p

Dmonzy

I haven't even heard of Mattel's Viewmaster haha.

Though it is surprising to me that MMOs are dead last in the poll. I would have guessed teaming up with people in a fantasy world and going on quests would have been one of the highest behind Life.

Crayon

I think the more pertinent info here is that 75%+ seem to actually desire the technology.

That's what caught my eye. Although I can't speak for the methodology of the testing because I didn't bother to look, I'd say 75%+ agrees with my outlook on it. Most kids should be excited about this.

Vena

Neat study. There's still a long way to go, though.

Though it is surprising to me that MMOs are dead last in the poll. I would have guessed teaming up with people in a fantasy world and going on quests would have been one of the highest behind Life.

I think MMOs are dominated by an older demographic (late teens into twenties) than what was sampled in this study. This is fairly believable of children in the age group chosen.

That's what caught my eye. Although I can't speak for the methodology of the testing because I didn't bother to look, I'd say 75%+ agrees with my outlook on it. Most kids should be excited about this.

Ehh. I don't know how much I'd invest in kids finding "X" cool, especially if its a technology that has in and as of so far been presented to them only in a positive, hyped light from their indirect samplings of it.

Crayon

Ehh. I don't know how much I'd invest in kids finding "X" cool, especially if its a technology that has in and as of so far been presented to them only in a positive, hyped light from their indirect samplings of it.

The concept is cool. The concept being: you put on a helmet/mask thing and you can be inside a game. It's reported to work by most everyone who tries it. (Is that was you mean by mostly positive and hyped?) It's going to be available soon.

I think almost any kid who like videogames should be excited for that. Seems only natural to me. I fully believe btw, that hype can be and is manufactured all the time. But in this case, I see something legitimately cool coming with nothing but hype well earned, and it's no surprise that kids are open to it.

Seanspeed

Banned
Contrast with adults who have had no first hand experience with nor understand the technology yet are utterly convinced its nothing special...

Thank god for kids sometimes, shit. Sucks how jaded people often get when they get older.

I always feel bad for being the research nerd to ask this, but has anyone been able to find a description or report on the actual methodology used for the research? Infographics are nice, but I'd like to seem something more substantial.

Vena

The concept is cool. The concept being: you put on a helmet/mask thing and you can be inside a game. It's reported to work by most everyone who tries it. (Is that was you mean by mostly positive and hyped?) It's going to be available soon.

I was speaking more of the vertigo, and other equilibrium issues that make prolonged use difficult. Its a hard sell to the public and is a detail often not spoken of outside of enthusiasts like ourselves, and most certainly not something a kid is going to understand. (Give me my virtual nose!)

I don't think I've heard of many people for whom the product outright doesn't work.

I think almost any kid who like videogames should be excited for that. Seems only natural to me. I fully believe btw, that hype can be and is manufactured all the time. But in this case, I see something legitimately cool coming with nothing but hype well earned, and it's no surprise that kids are open to it.

Its a product out to be sold, of course it will have manufactured hype. :p That doesn't mean it is undeserved or otherwise, but even good products can be over-represented in only the most positive of lights.

Contrast with adults who have had no first hand experience with nor understand the technology yet are utterly convinced its nothing special...

Indeed, older you get the more inert you become.

I always feel bad for being the research nerd to ask this, but has anyone been able to find a description or report on the actual methodology used for the research? Infographics are nice, but I'd like to seem something more substantial.

I tried to find this as well, even going back to the parent sight and doing some google searches, but I found nothing unfortunately. :/

It's extremely wise of Sony to going into VR in a real way with PS4. Even if it just to help build the overall user base of VR users, between consoles, PC and Mobile. It'll make the launch of the inevitable Morpheus 2.0 and PS5 that much easier.

What the hell do they mean by "Life" type games?

Dat Summer Lesson.

KJRS_1993

I think I'd attribute this awareness to live streamers and YouTube personalities who feature this sort of kit on their channels.
I'd bet the opportunities to market and instill your brand into little 'uns haven't even began to be fully explored yet.

What a weird time to be growing up in!

Majmun

I don't have a decent computer otherwise I'd be all over VR tech.

The Morpheus will do for now. I really can't wait to try it out.

The little ones in my extended family always ask to try out the Rift every time they're visiting. They love Ocean Rift and the various rollercoaster demos. None of these kids have ever had nausea while using it, either. A few of the older folk in my family have, but the kids all seem immune to it. They also really like watching me play horror games with the Rift.

I get the feeling that VR Let's Players are going to be hugely popular in the future.

My 6-year-old niece asked me once if she could play Mario games on the Rift. I had to sadly explain to her she can't, because Nintendo. Being that kids are Nintendo's bread and butter demographic, they're going to really regret not jumping on VR sooner in the years to come.

Kusagari

HTC Vive took last place at 19 percent, unsurprisingly so considering it has only just been shipped out to vetted developers early last month and has neither brand name recognition or flashy concept video to boast (but hey, there’s juggling!).

Isn't the Vive supposed to ship this year?

I don't have a decent computer otherwise I'd be all over VR tech.

The Morpheus will do for now. I really can't wait to try it out.

I use to think I had a decent computer :-(

So my VR road map is looking like Morpheus first and then Oculus Later after a major PC upgrade.

My wife and I went for a walk through a popular downtown area close to where we live last night after dinner. A middle-aged person was playing on a Samsung Gear VR at a PUB with his friends.

If this isn't indicative of it's potential... I don't know what is!

The listed concerns are actually alot more reasonable than the usual "VR Bingo" nonsense that people who want VR to fail are always saying.

The health concerns are a totally legitimate concern that I dont really see brought up compared to the usual naysayer nonsense.

As to whether an actual threat exists I have no idea, and would assume that those developing headsets are researching possible side effects, but my point is that it's a reasonable issue to look into compared to people that dismiss VR because "you can't see someone sneaking up on you with a baseball bat."

Headset weight isn't something that's necessarily easy to convey and can potentially improve with future iterations so it's not too much of an issue in the long term.

Bumping into objects is mostly an issue with a standing experience, but from what I've seen most VR games are targeting a seated experience as it may help to increase your sense of presence.

I'm personally planning on getting an omnidirectional treadmill so that I can play standing experiences without bumping into stuff, but I can see how most people would see that as an additional hurdle to overcome in order to "accept" VR.

VR addiction is also a possibility as is any activity that can be done in excess.

The fact that these kids are both excited but still voicing concern goes to show that kids can have a better understanding of VR and it's possible benefits/issues than many adults that have been playing video games their whole lives.

Always interesting to see stuff like this, thanks for posting OP.

Top Bottom