• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Namco Bandai unveil The Munchables for Wii. Not based on some school lunch brand.

Teknoman

Graphics are really nice looking as well. Dunno why everytime I see games that look like these on the Wii, I imagine a Jet Force Gemini wii game.

windfish

Gagaman said:
2sacdj4.jpg
i thought he was referring to this one
gafmunchie.png

anyway something about that game gets me interessted, iam not a big fan of extrem cute characters and stuff but this looks so good and even more like alot of fun... will probably give it a chance

I just noticed a major similarity to Galaxy.

First, the glossy look and vibrant colors certainly seem similar to Galaxy's, but a major similarity is that in one part of the trailer, you see your monster launch out of a cannon to fly to another part of a level, which really reminds me of the way Mario flies to different parts of each level.

Also, the way they eat and get bigger also reminds me of Koei's Prey the Stars for DS.

Namco Bandai Games America has the game on their website:

http://www.namcobandaigames.com/games/themunchables/

header.jpg

Features:

• Addictive Gameplay - Once you start eating, you won’t want to stop. Your character grows bigger and bigger the more you eat and so do your enemies.

• Quirky Characters - Eat crazy characters like Eggplanter, Space Shroom, and Rice Baller. Over 150 different enemies will try to stop you from saving the planet. 8 Enemy Bosses.

• 3 Different Modes of Play - You can play in reverse, regular, or time-attack mode

• Accessorize your character - Over a dozen different customizations can be made for your main character

• 2 Player Action - Join a friend to help you defeat Don Onion and the Space Pirates.

• Extras - 27 different songs included, played by the Munchables band. And 5 different movies that show you the world of the Munchables.

Story:

The Munchables are hungry creatures, taken over by Don Onion and his evil space pirates. The only hope for the planet’s survival is to eat the most enemies and grow large enough to defeat Don Onion and the 8 Enemy Bosses. The more you eat, the bigger you get, and you’re going to have to be big to beat Don Onion and his space pirates. You can power-up yourself to eat the array of vegetables, fruits, and even porcupines that are in your way! The planet depends on the Munchables for survival. No pressure.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Munchables band. :lol

• 3 Different Modes of Play - You can play in reverse, regular, or time-attack mode
Nice. I wish more games included a reverse mode.

• 2 Player Action - Join a friend to help you defeat Don Onion and the Space Pirates.
Massive win if this means a true story mode co-op and not a separate mode.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Sadist said:
But didn't Dewy bomb... very hard?
Yes it did, very very hard. The trailer made it look like they were aiming a tad bit higher than the Pre-K audience though.

ReiGun

This game is cute as all get out, and it disturbs me greatly. I shall observe from afar, with wonder and fear.

Also, that little character should replace the real Gaf logo, if only for a day.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Black-Wind said:
So fare . . . I like.

What does " play in reverse" mean?
It usually means tackling the stage from the end to start, playing it backwards.

This is the most awesomest thing i saw all day:lol The visuals remines me of Mario Galaxy and the gameplay looks really addictive, cute characters are my thing too so, I AM IN!:D :D :D

:lol This is definitely on my radar. Looks completely bonkers in a good way. Was also getting a definite Mario Galaxy vibe from the visuals in the trailer.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
koma said:

Very first thing that came to mind.

Screens were interesting but trailer was gold. If it plays well and has plenty of content consider me sold.

Nothing really "newsworthy", but NBGA updated that header artwork on their website for the game:

header.jpg

The pink guy had only one ear and no tail, it looked quite awkward, but I had a strong feeling that would be fixed in time for the box artwork.

Also here's tyhe same trauiler from a different source, this one actually has a different watermark (every other site sources the trailer from Wiiz):

http://www.livegen.tv/video/117563/The-Munchables-Trailer.html

I think it runs slightly smoother as well.

I'd post the original header, but I didn't save it, as I didn't think it would be nessesary!

If someone did save it, please provide it if possible for future reference. :)

I'm wondering if anyone from the Digimon World team is involved.

The whole "cute, Pokemon reject monster" look has me wondering about that. But the game definitely otherwise leans towards the Namco side.

This is one unusual announcement by BN, they don't usually:

1. Just announce the game and go quiet.
2. Announce such a Japanese game in NA first.
3. Not even announce who's involved.
4. Announce it so close to release, which is on May 26th apparently.

Perhaps I wasn't paying enough attention when they made previous annoiuncements to realize they ever did any of the above, so correct me if I'm wrong.

Strange thing as well is, the game actually looks like a good, high-quality game. Well, at least in the visual and kooky style department.

Makes me wonder if BN could have gotten away by hyping this as a "big, quirky new IP for Wii exclusively" to be unviled at E3 (if it was releasing afterwards), I wonder what kind of reaction it would get then?

Can't say this reaction hasn't been positive, so I guess they did the right thing.

Speaking of Digimon, BN are making one for the Wii as Bandai's website shows.

Reverse Mode axed!

This is evident as the website now shows this features description:

Features:

• Addictive Gameplay - Once you start eating, you won’t want to stop. Your character grows bigger and bigger the more you eat and so do your enemies.

• Quirky Characters - Eat crazy characters like Eggplanter, Space Shroom, and Rice Baller. Over 150 different enemies will try to stop you from saving the planet. 8 Enemy Bosses.

• 2 Modes of Play - You can play in regular mode and in time-attack mode

• Accessorize your character - Over a dozen different customizations can be made for your main character

• Extras - 27 different songs included, played by the Munchables band. And 5 different movies that show you the world of the Munchables.

The old description:

Features:

I guess they couldn't get it to work as planned?

Fuu said:
Nooooooooo!

I don't know why it got canned. How hard could've been? Perhaps the stages are setup in a way that you can't go back to certain areas? Thus they couldn't get it to work without major retooling? My best guess.

Gwanatu T

jj984jj said:
Yes it did, very very hard. The trailer made it look like they were aiming a tad bit higher than the Pre-K audience though.

Did you play the game? I'm not one to call games kiddy, but that game was so sickly Pre-school I couldn't play it. It was embarrassing even trading it in.

I replaced the screens in the OP with unwatermarked, higher-quality shots that were found at Joy Stiq! I resized them to fit the OP. If you want the full-sized shots, go to Joy Stiq and copy and paste the url of each shot into the address bar.

If nessesary I can just upload those into my flickr account and insert them into the smaller shots so that you can click on them to get the full-sized shots, as I did in my Ice Age thread. It works nicely! :D

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
3353121392_f3a8eeb891_o.jpg

This broccoli dude is awesome.

I'm sort of interested but watching the gameplay you float around at a fixed rate and ingest things... I wonder if that's fun.

Announced for Europe, to be released on June 19th.

http://wiiz.fr/article.php?a=22924

The Munchables est le prochain projet de Namco sur Wii qui s'annonce très original. Sa sortie est prévue pour Mai 2009 aux Etats-Unis et le 19 juin prochain dans nos vertes contrées.

Les Munchies débarquent sur Wii...Et ils vont tout dévorer sur leur passage !

Les Munchies sont des petites créatures très gourmandes qui raffolent des fruits et des légumes. Le monde des Munchies s'est fait envahir par des extraterrestres. Ces derniers veulent voler le fabuleux trésor que vénèrent les Munchies : un orbe précieux...

Pour récupérer leur orbe, vous allez devoir, seul ou en coopération, parcourir les 8 univers du monde des Munchies et faire évoluer vos personnages en dévorant les ennemis pour battre tous les boss finaux de chaque niveau.

- Un gameplay inspiré de Pacman et Katamari : combattez, mangez et devenez plus fort !
- Faîtes évoluer la taille de votre personnage en dévorant les ennemis sur votre passage.
- Customisez vos personnages en collectant des bonus.
- 8 univers aux designs très colorés pour un total de 25 niveaux déjantés.
- Mode coopération délirant pour jouez avec un ami à travers tous les niveaux du jeu.

Google Translated:

The Munchables is the next project on Namco Wii looks very original. Its output is planned for May 2009 in the United States and June 19 next in our green lands.

Munchies landed on the Wii ... And they will devour everything in their path!

The Munchies are very greedy little creatures who love fruits and vegetables. Munchies of the world was invaded by aliens. They want to steal the fabulous treasure that revere the Munchies: A precious orb ...

To retrieve their orb, you'll have, alone or in cooperation, take the 8 world of world of Munchies and develop your characters in devouring enemies to beat all the final boss of each level.

- Gameplay inspired by Pacman and Katamari: fight, eat and become stronger!
- Take the size of your character by devouring enemies in your path.
- Customize your character by collecting bonus.
- 8 world of colorful designs for a total of 25 crazy levels.
- Delusional for cooperative play with a friend through all levels of the game

Box!

135415e.jpg

I figured that'd use the 2D style for the box, I like it!

I'm surprised that it focuses more on the spiky one and not both it and the pink one equally you know?

Top Bottom