• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm 2 |OT| Finally, Tenten's Turn To Shine!

Skilletor

Koroshi said:
uRkEs.jpg

Finally.
My hats off to you, sir. I got annoyed with unlocking stuff and gave the game to my brother.

I got what I wanted out of it. Awesome naruto game, shitty fighter.

Skilletor said:
My hats off to you, sir. I got annoyed with unlocking stuff and gave the game to my brother.

Thank you, Skilletor. It was definitely a bitch to get. The "all titles" trophy was just terrible.

MrPliskin

Banned
I think when you're playing locally, it's an awesomely fun fighting game. When you're playing online w/people who exploit each and every weakness in the engine, then it becomes a steaming pile.

I think substitution jutsu's should definitely cost more chakra, and they need to fix the ability to spam kunai throwing.

All in all, I don't think it's terrible or shitty by any stretch. It's certainly not competition worthy, but who honestly went into a Naruto game expecting SFIV levels of balance and what not?

Also: Going to be a long long time before I get a platinum in this. I do want to though, as I generally enjoy it (when I'm playing against people who play fair). Anyone got a list of all the titles and how to get them?

Skilletor

MrPliskin said:
I think when you're playing locally, it's an awesomely fun fighting game. When you're playing online w/people who exploit each and every weakness in the engine, then it becomes a steaming pile.

I think substitution jutsu's should definitely cost more chakra, and they need to fix the ability to spam kunai throwing.

All in all, I don't think it's terrible or shitty by any stretch. It's certainly not competition worthy, but who honestly went into a Naruto game expecting SFIV levels of balance and what not?

Also: Going to be a long long time before I get a platinum in this. I do want to though, as I generally enjoy it (when I'm playing against people who play fair). Anyone got a list of all the titles and how to get them?

I think the limited number of options at any given point in a match makes it a pretty terrible fighter. I don't want sf4/tekken/vf here, but even the gc and ps2 games had a larger variety of moves and options. I shouldn't have to play with people who say, yeah, i wont do this because it makes the game unfun. That's the developers job. For some people, winning by any means necessary is fun. More power to those people, uns2 doesn't have any way to counter such players. I mean...why can you knj a throw? They had a perfectly logical rock/paper/scissors gameplay system in place and took it out. Unless I renumber incorretky and you could knj throws in the first game.

Bebpo

Banned
Skilletor said:
I think the limited number of options at any given point in a match makes it a pretty terrible fighter. I don't want sf4/tekken/vf here, but even the gc and ps2 games had a larger variety of moves and options. I shouldn't have to play with people who say, yeah, i wont do this because it makes the game unfun. That's the developers job. For some people, winning by any means necessary is fun. More power to those people, uns2 doesn't have any way to counter such players. I mean...why can you knj a throw? They had a perfectly logical rock/paper/scissors gameplay system in place and took it out. Unless I renumber incorretky and you could knj throws in the first game.

I only played the first one, but yeah I've always found CC2's Naruto fighters to be too shallow and limited in options to be a real fighting game. Eighting's Naruto games were much better in that respect. Too bad that series never made it to this gen with online.

Kind of a shame because visually they nail it out of the park, but I just don't think CC2 is cut out to be a fighting game developer. They should make a Naruto action rpg like .hack instead.

MrPliskin

Banned
Skilletor said:

I'm not disagreeing that things are imperfect, but when playing against people locally, or folks who aren't going to use "spam" then it is fun.

I have tons of complaints about the game, but I understand that, just like any fighter, people who exploit certain things that aren't balanced can ruin the game. That said, I still run into a few good matches here and there online, unfortunately most of it is just people who want to use the same 4 characters to win.

Skilletor

MrPliskin said:
I'm not disagreeing that things are imperfect, but when playing against people locally, or folks who aren't going to use "spam" then it is fun.

I have tons of complaints about the game, but I understand that, just like any fighter, people who exploit certain things that aren't balanced can ruin the game. That said, I still run into a few good matches here and there online, unfortunately most of it is just people who want to use the same 4 characters to win.

Who are the popular characters online?

Akainu said:
Does Killer B suck?
In my opinion, yes. His ultimate jutsu/ninjustu is lame and it doesn't reach very far. I don't like him too much. It's too bad, because he's pretty comical in the manga. :lol

MrPliskin

Banned
Skilletor said:
Who are the popular characters online?

Right now, it seems like Diedara is pretty popular, only because you can spam him to no end.

Then there's Bee, who is only popular because his awakening mode is pretty powerful. Sage / Hokage Naruto is also a popular choice, along with Minato (the 4th). Both are, again, reduced to being used only for their awakening.

Taka Sauce is kind of common, but not too much. Most of the people that use him only want to go into awakening mode, then spam out Amaterasu (which is super effective if combined with a rush, as it'll stop players from running).

Lastly, I've noticed an increase in Madara (Tobi) only because his awakening seems to have an unblockable move (from what I can wager).

So, as you can see, most players are simply trying to widdle down your health until they can hit awakening and use these few select players to spam out specific moves in order to win.

That said, I agree that the game isn't a great fighter, competitively, but it's awesome fun locally (or online with people who want to have fun).

Koroshi said:
In my opinion, yes. His ultimate jutsu/ninjustu is lame and it doesn't reach very far. I don't like him too much. It's too bad, because he's pretty comical in the manga. :lol

Actually, Bee is really beast if you can use his awakening effectively. If you can pressure and crowd the player, then Bee is nearly unbeatable because he can stun you and then rape you with his jutsu.

I finished the game today just around 15 hours. I still have a few things to go back and do. But Chapter 5 was the best I knew it was going to be tough to go through. I shed a tear of manliness.

Skilletor

MrPliskin said:
Right now, it seems like Diedara is pretty popular, only because you can spam him to no end.

Then there's Bee, who is only popular because his awakening mode is pretty powerful. Sage / Hokage Naruto is also a popular choice, along with Minato (the 4th). Both are, again, reduced to being used only for their awakening.

Taka Sauce is kind of common, but not too much. Most of the people that use him only want to go into awakening mode, then spam out Amaterasu (which is super effective if combined with a rush, as it'll stop players from running).

Lastly, I've noticed an increase in Madara (Tobi) only because his awakening seems to have an unblockable move (from what I can wager).

So, as you can see, most players are simply trying to widdle down your health until they can hit awakening and use these few select players to spam out specific moves in order to win.

That said, I agree that the game isn't a great fighter, competitively, but it's awesome fun locally (or online with people who want to have fun).

/nod

All of that makes sense. I thought Deidara would be annoying online after fighting the curse doll version of him. :lol

I agree with you, though. Like I said, great for Naruto fans. I just don't have anybody to play with locally that enjoys Naruto as much as I do. I got what I wanted out of it and don't regret my purchase.
<3 <3 <3 Sasuke

MrPliskin

Banned
Koroshi said:
Chiyo is deadly in the right hands, but hardly anyone uses her.

Both of the Puppet folks are really really good, if used right.

I've been using Kakashi exclusively online, and it seems to be doing okay I guess? I'm 25/39 right now :lol

Mangekyo is deadly against those who simply try to wait until awakening. You just have to make sure you have enough Chakra to pull it off before they get into awakening.

Feels good to be half way to 50 though. I still have no idea what titles I'm missing though, anyone know where I can find that stuff at?

udivision said:
So... it's less of a fighter than Brawl?

Not that that's important or anything...

I'd say they're maybe the same? If you turn items off in Brawl it isn't so bad. Likewise, if both players kind of 'politely' agree not to do thing like spam certain things, this is really enjoyable, lol.

I don't know, there are many flaws in this, but I still have tremendous fun with it.

Randy

Rock Lee/Guy with Hidan & Hinata as support all the way here. Got some awesome private messages after sick matches and a couple of insults from Minato/Sage Naruto-players. Only character I don't see beating anytime soon is Deidara.

Oh, and I love Awakening-mode from Lee/Guy. If you time your triangle-cross move ("chakra boost") right, it's just an epic scene from the anime, with Lee popping behind his opponent, giving him 3-4 hits, disappearing again when the enemy tries support/grab and popping back up behind him, again hitting him like crazy. Tricky part is the timing, but damn, it's so satisfying when you can pull it off. Really enjoying it so far.

Pein

Banned
MrPliskin said:
Both of the Puppet folks are really really good, if used right.

I've been using Kakashi exclusively online, and it seems to be doing okay I guess? I'm 25/39 right now :lol

I'd say they're maybe the same? If you turn items off in Brawl it isn't so bad. Likewise, if both players kind of 'politely' agree not to do thing like spam certain things, this is really enjoyable, lol.

I don't know, there are many flaws in this, but I still have tremendous fun with it.

some people are incredible with puppets, I try to use them and I blow.

Akainu said:
Does Killer B suck?
I like Bee, not just for his awakening but I digging using Lariat and knocking off people's health. Bee is my most used character online but I'm gonna switch to pain or rock lee because I need to use someone who doesn't have a overpowered awakening. I might even switch back to kakashi who is my 2nd main.

Randy said:
Oh, and I love Awakening-mode from Lee/Guy. If you time your triangle-cross move ("chakra boost") right, it's just an epic scene from the anime, with Lee popping behind his opponent, giving him 3-4 hits, disappearing again when the enemy tries support/grab and popping back up behind him, again hitting him like crazy. Tricky part is the timing, but damn, it's so satisfying when you can pull it off. Really enjoying it so far.
pro tip to people who wanna use Bee, don't use his awakening against and awakened Minato/rock lee/Guy. He's to slow and won't be able to counter, this apply's to choji as well.

Shouta

Bebpo said:
I only played the first one, but yeah I've always found CC2's Naruto fighters to be too shallow and limited in options to be a real fighting game. Eighting's Naruto games were much better in that respect. Too bad that series never made it to this gen with online.

Kind of a shame because visually they nail it out of the park, but I just don't think CC2 is cut out to be a fighting game developer. They should make a Naruto action rpg like .hack instead.

Haven't played UNS (aside from a few plays of the demos) but what they should do is take a more Gundam Vs approach with it rather than as a fighting game. I think the concept behind UNS might be workable with that idea in mind. The perspective is already in place, after all.

Put some good time in the game this weekend, finished the campaign and fragment. Have everyone but Minato and Lars unlocked. Local matches are much more fun because there is room to be tactical and put on a fun match because the other person is spamming kunai and specials non-stop. I wish these types of matches were available online. : P

Hypertrooper said:
Any method to boost the 50wins in the multiplayer. This isnt a game that I wants to play online. For me its just a offline game.
It's pretty much a waste of time. To boost, you need to find a partner and wait for him to start a lobby and then join it before someone else does (which is impossible) or vice versa. The only way to find a decent match online is to create a lobby yourself. By the time you do that over and over, you could have had 50 wins a long time before that.

bubnbob

Banned
Hypertrooper said:
Any method to boost the 50wins in the multiplayer. This isnt a game that I wants to play online. For me its just a offline game.

Yes there is a way to boost. You need 1 friend, who is hopefully on the same rank as you.

- Look at leaderboard, and find out when the next rank is
- Search on "Same Level"
- Trade wins, keeping in mind how many BP you earn
- When you both get to the limit, dont do a thing in the next match and draw. Both players will receive half of the winnings (ex. If you win 100 from a match, you both would get 50 instead).
- Both of you should rank up to the next title, and can continue the process. You may need to draw again, so you get enough points that you wont get knocked back down when you lose.
- If one of you goes up first, simply lose to someone and try to both rank up at the same time.

MrPliskin

Banned
bubnbob said:
Yes there is a way to boost. You need 1 friend, who is hopefully on the same rank as you.

- Look at leaderboard, and find out when the next rank is
- Search on "Same Level"
- Trade wins, keeping in mind how many BP you earn
- When you both get to the limit, dont do a thing in the next match and draw. Both players will receive half of the winnings (ex. If you win 100 from a match, you both would get 50 instead).
- Both of you should rank up to the next title, and can continue the process. You may need to draw again, so you get enough points that you wont get knocked back down when you lose.
- If one of you goes up first, simply lose to someone and try to both rank up at the same time.
:lol

People don't seriously do this stupid shit, do they?

Anyway, I've made enough people rage using Kakashi. Apparently the way I play is cheap...? Apparently subbing back out of stuff is cheap? Anytime someone subs out of my throw, I sub back and then run away while they mash block feverishly :lol

BTW, Sage Naruto and 8 Tails are absurdly easy to beat if you use Kakashi, just use the speed shoes and make sure you keep your support ninjas fresh. You can out run all of the blast stuff they do, and then they'll eventually try to close in because they can't hit you, blindly rushing in desperately for some hits...then just use your support ninja!

I find that Tobi and Chio are the best, for me at least. Chio has some interesting tricks. For example, if you use her, then immediately do a chakra dash, you'll break their block and they'll be forced to take the damage.

Odinson

I like using Konan with Orchimaru and Sage Naruto for support. I fought a bee who accused me of spamming when he couldn't kill me after going all 8 tails on me....:lol loved it! Got get a hang of her awakening though.

MrPliskin

Banned
bubnbob said:
u mad bra? Enjoy your Sage Naruto scrubmatches I guess

I'm not mad, I just think it's crazy that people would go through so much trouble just for the sake of stat boosting. I mean...why? Clearly it doesn't represent anything you've put into the game or learning it's system...so why? It's just foolish and a waste of time, IMO.

As for Sage Naruto, I avoid all of those characters. I play, primarily, Kakashi and occasionally Taka Sauce (though honestly I haven't used Taka Sauce in like...30 matches?).

Either way, as I'm starting to learn the ins and outs of the game, I can compete better with spammers. I still can't find a good way to beat Deidara. Pretty much everyone else is cake (well, except Minato). Minato basically boils down to survival and using your support characters effectively, then once he's out of awakening, he's easy again.

I only have 10 matches to go until I get 50, then I can play casual matches again, which should be more fun. It's kind of cool how different a single match and team match are from each other.

MrPliskin

Banned
bubnbob said:
If you're stat boosting yes it's dumb. I wanted the 50 wins and got the hell out of dodge.

...but why not just earn them? I mean...you didn't do it just for the sake of getting an achievement / trophy...did you?

Edit: Never mind, it's neither here nor there. Though, I will say I think cheating for your wins really robs you of any value the achievement / trophy would have otherwise held. But, I suppose if big numbers are your thing, more power to you!

bubnbob

Banned
MrPliskin said:
...but why not just earn them? I mean...you didn't do it just for the sake of getting an achievement / trophy...did you?

Edit: Never mind, it's neither here nor there. Though, I will say I think cheating for your wins really robs you of any value the achievement / trophy would have otherwise held. But, I suppose if big numbers are your thing, more power to you!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=24158413&postcount=477

MrPliskin

Banned
bubnbob said:

Not angry, just entertained. You just said it's stupid for stat boosting, yet you did it just to boost your achievement / trophy stats :lol

One thing I've noticed that's becoming more and more popular is using Itachi to block chakra rushes. You can basically use his ultimate jutsu when folks rush in and catch them with the ultimate jutsu every time :lol

Also, it seems people are catching on to the idea of team combos. Kakashi isn't particularly good at this as his Chidori seems like it takes FOREVER to start up, and Mangekyo is pretty useless here as well :( But man, some folks are ridiculously good with their timing. I was 'trapped' in a combo today where I got hit by Minato's Rasengan, then by Naruto's, then by Jiraiya's, and finally ended with a team combo :lol It was freaking DEVASTATING!

bubnbob

Banned
I played the game legit bro. I just got tired of getting my butthole flexed by dumb Sage Naruto awakenings. Sue me. Bro.

MrPliskin

Banned
Welp, finished out my 50 wins (Legit, mind you), and I can safely say I cant beat Minato and Sage Naruto most of the time.

I seem to have the most difficulty when Sage Naruto players throw a lot at me at one time (i.e. both support characters, ultimate jutsu, followed by Rassengan / throw).

I just D/C'd on Deidara players though. I don't have time to mess around with that.

I played a wicked good Gaara player though, man it was an INTENSE fight. Down to the very last sliver of health.

I played this one guy using Minato 4 times in a row (ranked) and he kept sending me "RM" as a message (rematch I assume). I kept trying to tell him that dancing around and throwing shurkins simply won't get him a win, but he just responded with "I fucked your mother". After 4 losses he stopped sending me messages.

Randy

Neji is pretty much unbeatable as Rock Lee. Especially when there's a teenage American selling dumb trashtalk through the mic. Really, some people...

Anyway, as soon as you come close, he does his whirly thingie, so close-combat is out of the question. It's a shame there isn't more balance, otherwise it would've been a pretty competitive fighter in my opinion.

MrPliskin said:
Welp, finished out my 50 wins (Legit, mind you), and I can safely say I cant beat Minato and Sage Naruto most of the time.

I seem to have the most difficulty when Sage Naruto players throw a lot at me at one time (i.e. both support characters, ultimate jutsu, followed by Rassengan / throw).

I just D/C'd on Deidara players though. I don't have time to mess around with that.

I played a wicked good Gaara player though, man it was an INTENSE fight. Down to the very last sliver of health.

I played this one guy using Minato 4 times in a row (ranked) and he kept sending me "RM" as a message (rematch I assume). I kept trying to tell him that dancing around and throwing shurkins simply won't get him a win, but he just responded with "I fucked your mother". After 4 losses he stopped sending me messages.
You sound like my type of player. I didn't disconnect on anybody, because I wanted to keep my ratio clean, but the only person who had me hovering over the button was Deidara. Man, he shouldn't be so overpowered.

Randy said:
Neji is pretty much unbeatable as Rock Lee. Especially when there's a teenage American selling dumb trashtalk through the mic. Really, some people...
You can turn voice chat off with R2, you know.

MrPliskin

Banned
Randy said:

Anyway, as soon as you come close, he does his whirly thingie, so close-combat is out of the question. It's a shame there isn't more balance, otherwise it would've been a pretty competitive fighter in my opinion.

If you're playing as Rock Lee / Guy, then I would suggest using your support characters to beat down your opponents defense / lure him into using that move (the defensive jutsu). Or, rush in, let him use it (BLOCK!) and then use a throw after the move.

Another good alternative is to rush in, let him use it (BLOCK!) and then use one support character. He'll block it, after that point you can do a rush, break his guard, and hit him with a jutsu.

Chio is really usefull to break down someones defense. You can use Chio, and then rush in while she's doing her move. This will break their guard (generally) and they'll take some damage. If you're fast enough or your timing is good enough, you can land an ultimate jutsu while Chio does her business.

Randy

MrPliskin said:
If you're playing as Rock Lee / Guy, then I would suggest using your support characters to beat down your opponents defense / lure him into using that move (the defensive jutsu). Or, rush in, let him use it (BLOCK!) and then use a throw after the move.

Another good alternative is to rush in, let him use it (BLOCK!) and then use one support character. He'll block it, after that point you can do a rush, break his guard, and hit him with a jutsu.

Chio is really usefull to break down someones defense. You can use Chio, and then rush in while she's doing her move. This will break their guard (generally) and they'll take some damage. If you're fast enough or your timing is good enough, you can land an ultimate jutsu while Chio does her business.

Ah, good thinking! Thanks, will certainly try those tactics.

NUNS2 does not have a deep fighting system, huh? Pliskin proves you wrong!
And yes, I know R2 can shut down the mics, but I didn't encounter any problems with people until just a couple of hours ago. Lesson learned the hard way.

MrPliskin

Banned
Randy said:
Ah, good thinking! Thanks, will certainly try those tactics.

NUNS2 does not have a deep fighting system, huh? Pliskin proves you wrong!
And yes, I know R2 can shut down the mics, but I didn't encounter any problems with people until just a couple of hours ago. Lesson learned the hard way.

Well, it's not so much that the game is deep, but it's sort of like chess meets rock paper scissors. Basically, you'll have to have a strategy in play that will overwhelm your opponent or force them into situations where they are vulnerable to your attacks.

The reason I use Kakashi is because he has a multitude of options available to him.

He has both a ranged and close combat jutsu (chidori normal is close and fast, while enhanced jutsu is a thrown chidori). Also, you can use his Mangekyo Sharingan to keep people from going into awakening (the downside here is you have to closely monitor and manage your chakra).

Tobi is a great support character because he covers any distance on the screen, which means you can use him to keep players from going into awakening, or if they're trying to keep distance and throw shurikins, you can prevent it.

If players are hopping around, the best strategy is to hop with them, and then use Chio (if available) when you can close enough distance. If you can manage to stop them w/a chakra dash, then IMMEDIATELY use Chio to buy you some time to get out of dodge.

Also, Minato is really easy to beat. You can just jump away from almost all of his dash attacks and use support characters to keep him preoccupied. It'll eventually run out and you can wreak havoc on him after that.

Pein

Banned
Another way to beat deidara spammers is use kirin sasuke and have pain support. While they're mid spam use pain to block the attacks and then use kirin. Killed like 5 deidara spammers this way.

Kirin sasuke would be amazing if his awakening didn't suck.

MrPliskin

Banned
I'm actually pretty proud of the fact that I rarely even need to go into awakening with Kakashi :lol Even when I do, it's almost always by accident.

I'll have to try those tactics against Deidara users, that is if I play online again since I've got that title :lol

MrPliskin

Banned
The Abominable Snowman said:
Is the online scene better on PS3 or 360? Just ordered this game on Amazon, for 360, but I have a few days to trade back for PS3

I'd assume they're both the same in terms of 'play style'. You'll still see a lot of the same spam / characters used, etc. As for user base, I really don't think there's anyway to know, and for a game as niche as this, it'll be difficult to find out.

I'd just ask which people in this thread got which version, and go from there. That way you have a GAF community to play with. I got the PS3 version myself, I think for sure 2 others here did.

Skilletor said:

I was looking at this a little, don't know much about it though. Does it play out in the story or is it solely a fighter?

demosthenes said:
I was looking at this a little, don't know much about it though. Does it play out in the story or is it solely a fighter?
It plays out the story with some extra stuff here and there.

The real star of the game are the boss fights. Here's footage from the demo (japanese version, but I believe it's available on the english marketplace), which is the first boss fight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6Hf0rj_GUI

Top Bottom