• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naughty Dog has begun exploring ideas for The Last of Us 2

Flandy

Can not wait
Naughty Dog please make (TLoU spoiler follows)
Ellie the main playable character. Spoiler tagged in case people thought she died in TLoU

Raonak

Banned
TLOU's world has so much space for expansion.

I don't think the ellie-joel dynamic can have the same magic the second time. they should do new characters.

I do think for TLOU2 they should do new characters, maybe set in another country.
And then maybe go back to an older Ellie in TLOU3

Betty

Banned
I want the protagonist to be someone like this
16.jpg

Someone who is incredibly evil, and has just suffered a horrible defeat (like the governor). He goes on a nomadic journey to find himself, and in the end, he is still evil.

You've more or less described MGSV.

I really wonder where they can go with the story in TLOU2

FleetFeet

The discussion started from me quoting someone dismissing people's opinion with a variant of "Nobody here is a writer, so ND should not listen to this criticism" which i found to be a silly argument.

(paraphrasing) "They are great writers, so whatever they do will be great, i'm sure" i find to be a very lazy way to shut down the discussion, before it even starts.
You can have blind faith in them, just don't hold anyone else up to that (quite absurdly high) standard of... enthusiasm.

I understand where you're coming from, but they haven't let me down yet, so why should I start to doubt them now? Once they release a title that I am not happy with, then I will begin to question any decisions they make in the future.

I'm not trying to stifle discussion, I'm just trying to add my perspective... it might not be to your liking, but this is just how I feel. I don't think that it's a given this will be great, nothing in life is for that matter, but since the same people are involved, I have no doubt that it will only be better due to the capabilities of the PS4 and the growth they have shown from each title they have developed as a studio... bottom line, you don't just unlearn everything that made you successful when you have people in charge who understand how they achieved that success.

FleetFeet

Well it's good to know you feel Neil - who reads NeoGAF frequently - is being manipulative. I don't know then how you trust Naughty Dog so tightly then, but hey!

I forgot to touch on this... I don't feel it's manipulative at all, those are your words, not mine. I feel like in a world with social media, where everyone wants to know everything at the very instant it takes place, with spoilers and all... its not prudent to broadcast your intentions to the public at large. It only deflates the building up of anticipation and kills the excitement of what's around the corner. Surprises are great, and if he has to throw out some bullshit to make sure we get to experience those surprises, than good on him. It was a lie for the greater good of our experience of the game... if there something wrong with that, then I don't want to be right.

UrbanRats

I understand where you're coming from, but they haven't let me down yet, so why should I start to doubt them now? Once they release a title that I am not happy with, then I will begin to question any decisions they make in the future.

I'm not trying to stifle discussion, I'm just trying to add my perspective... it might not be to your liking, but this is just how I feel. I don't think that it's a given this will be great, nothing in life is for that matter, but since the same people are involved, I have no doubt that it will only be better due to the capabilities of the PS4 and the growth they have shown from each title they have developed as a studio... bottom line, you don't just unlearn everything that made you successful when you have people in charge who understand how they achieved that success.
Again, i have no problem regarding personal feelings towards ND.
My problem was with someone dismissing others' opinions as of little importance, because they "weren't writers".
You obviously don't need to be a writer to have an opinion on storytelling, nor to have an opinion on where it would better to take a series.

dalin80

Banned
OK, just please let the J+E story be. There's a big ass world out there and plenty of room to tell something completely new.

I actually think the potential sequel could end up being better than the original.

I didn't find the story of TLoU particularly amazing (ending was an interesting little moment), it was more the gameplay which hooked me.
They could make an amazing story this time and revamp the game play, add new mechanics, new weapons, new infected.
Unless they rush the sequel, they could build on everything the first was and add lots more.

UrbanRats

I want the protagonist to be someone like this
16.jpg

Someone who is incredibly evil, and has just suffered a horrible defeat (like the governor). He goes on a nomadic journey to find himself, and in the end, he is still evil.

Is "evil" really a character trait, though? I mean, for a game like Last of Us, that aims at some sort of depth and realism.

FleetFeet

Again, i have no problem regarding personal feelings towards ND.
My problem was with someone dismissing others' opinions as of little importance, because they "weren't writers".
You obviously don't need to be a writer to have an opinion on storytelling, nor to have an opinion on where it would better to take a series.

No that isn't necessary when discussing a body of work, not at all... but that's where I think this is where we diverge. If we discuss something that has been released, it is fair game... opinions vary widely and to each his own. What we are discussing here is something that has yet to be officially announced with any detail, so there really isn't anything to critique yet. I honestly don't think they will go with new characters, but even if they do, I won't be upset, because I think they know what is best for the game. My personal preference would be to see this vision through, and if it is correct that Neil said that TLOU is Ellie's origin story, then that would lead me to conclude that at least she will definitely be in the sequel and that he's had a grand vision of these characters well before TLOU was completed.

Now I honestly want to know from everyone who feels that they should move onto a new set of characters and story... besides the whole idea of leaving the ending ambiguous, why do you guys not want Joel and Ellie in the sequel? Some have said that lightning can't strike twice... so the better option should be to just start from scratch? My personal take on it is that ND feels like they lucked out and won the lotto when they got Troy and Ashley working on this game. To find the chemistry that they had, to me is that lighting in a bottle, and that right there is not something you can easily replace, even with the best writing.

UrbanRats

No that isn't necessary when discussing a body of work, not at all... but that's where I think this is where we diverge. If we discuss something that has been released, it is fair game... opinions vary widely and to each his own. What we are discussing here is something that has yet to be officially announced with any detail, so there really isn't anything to critique yet. I honestly don't think they will go with new characters, but even if they do, I won't be upset, because I think they know what is best for the game. My personal preference would be to see this vision through, and if it is correct that Neil said that TLOU is Ellie's origin story, then that would lead me to conclude that at least she will definitely be in the sequel and that he's had a grand vision of these characters well before TLOU was completed.

Now I honestly want to know from everyone who feels that they should move onto a new set of characters and story... besides the whole idea of leaving the ending ambiguous, why do you guys not want Joel and Ellie in the sequel? Some have said that lightning can't strike twice... so the better option should be to just start from scratch? My personal take on it is that ND feels like they lucked out and won the lotto when they got Troy and Ashley working on this game. To find the chemistry that they had, to me is that lighting in a bottle, and that right there is not something you can easily replace, even with the best writing.

Yeah but people aren't criticizing LoU2 itself (which doesn't exist yet) they're expressing opinions on where to (or not to) take the series next.

I think expanding on Ellie's and Joel's story would cheapen an open finale that was incredibly refreshing to see in this medium, everything you need to know about the characters' future is implied through their arc in the game, and that's what actually makes the game's story interesting.

I'm not worried about the "lightning doesn't strike twice" aspect, because i think LoU wasn't just luck, but a lot of craft and hard work, so i'm confident they can repeat the feat again, even better, and there are plenty of great actors with a great chemistry, out there; you don't create great art through fear of failing or exiting your comfort zone, so that would be a terrible reason not to move on from these characters.

I'd be far more excited to see them try their hand with new characters, in another part of the world.

To me, it seems like some fans can't let go, and i hope ND is above any type of fan service.

FleetFeet

Yeah but people aren't criticizing LoU2 itself (which doesn't exist yet) they're expressing opinions on where to (or not to) take the series next.

I think expanding on Ellie's and Joel's story would cheapen an open finale that was incredibly refreshing to see in this medium, everything you need to know about the characters' future is implied through their arc in the game, and that's what actually makes the game's story interesting.

I'm not worried about the "lightning doesn't strike twice" aspect, because i think LoU wasn't just luck, but a lot of craft and hard work, so i'm confident they can repeat the feat again, even better, and there are plenty of great actors with a great chemistry, out there; you don't create great art through fear of failing or exiting your comfort zone, so that would be a terrible reason not to move on from these characters.

I'd be far more excited to see them try their hand with new characters, in another part of the world.

To me, it seems like some fans can't let go, and i hope ND is above any type of fan service.

I appreciate the courtesy response. I can understand where you're coming from, and I do agree that there are plenty of capable actors out there to do just as good a job. To be honest though, I don't feel it is that easy to find two actors that have such great chemistry. It's not impossible, mind you... just not very likely. That's just my take, but maybe ND flip the script and go a whole new direction and prove me wrong, I wouldn't be surprised at the end of the day, because that whole studio is talented from top to bottom.

What I do find interesting and ironic is that I feel like my opinion is in the minority ITT and if ND were forced to fulfill a fan service based on the reception ITT, it would end up being what you want with a whole new cast and story and not the traditional take on sequels with the continuation of Joel and Ellie lol.

Replicant

New characters please! No more Ellie and Joel.

I hope ND doesn't get the same character-itis that they suffer in Uncharted. Elena and Sully should have been limited to 1 game. Them not doing this means that the interactions between Nate and other people in the game end up being similar from sequel to sequel.

Please don't limit the world of LoU into this. There are so much more story to be told. How about people in other countries? What's the situation in other places? Tell us that instead.

LastNac

Nope. Prequels are generally much less interesting than carving out a new story, especially in a videogame because the allure of the unknown combined with gameplay mechanics is the ultimate driving force. I don't want to play as anyone where the fate of the world or the fate of that character is totally known to me because I spent an entire game going through it already. Even if individual moments can provide great scenes and set pieces, the overall story loses a lot of its impact. Playing as a doomed character in a doomed world is one thing, playing as a doomed character in a doomed world where we already know their ending completely feels like going through the motions. It can never be as satisfying as when the experience was new, and it felt like we had some relevance in the story.

Seems to undercut the Hero's Journey and largely, by that logic, we don't really need anymore TWD stories ever. Sure the fungus is imminent and its outbreak is unavoidable, but I don't see how going back to the beginning with an all new character is "going through the motions", especially if that characters fate is yet to be determined.

I'm excited about this. The possibilities for the sequel are endless, and I can not wait to see what they come up with. In Naughty Dog I trust.

mcz117chief

I would like to see a new character as the protagonist. And from somewhere else than America, for example in Europe or South East Asia

I don't think it is worth it

The best thing about TLOU was that it was two new character that you learn and grow with.

They could do new characters in the same universe. But then they are going to bump into a ton of gamey tropes like "new enemies!" that don't really make sense in the universe they've built

mcz117chief

The best thing about TLOU was that it was two new character that you learn and grow with.

They could do new characters in the same universe. But then they are going to bump into a ton of gamey tropes like "new enemies!" that don't really make sense in the universe they've built

Why would they need new enemies ? In Call of Duty you keep shooting people and nobody ever complained about lack of diversity.

I think that is the smallest problem, mate

What would be interesting is if it's another 20 years down the track and the world has become even more primal due to resources becoming even scarcer. Fuel has run out completely, ammunition for guns is almost completely gone, the limited forms of
Government have collapsed etc. the clicker virus has spread even more run than slowing down and most people are dead or turned into Clickers but there is a generation of immune people like Elly who are still surviving. It's more of last days of humanity "the Road" like situation

Part of the joy of staying in the same universe (as you say) is seeing things from a different angle but I don't see why we wouldn't see new enemy types - especially if it is set years after the tale of Joel and Ellie. Maybe it could be set in Europe or the far East and have a group that has set up a small fort for protection that is threatened by outsiders as well as threats from within.

Would love to have more instances of a horde mode in the single player where you have to build up your defences before being attacked, or you have to plan an ambush on another fort for morally ambiguous reasons that pan out over the course of the game. The possibilies are numerous.

Would love to see new enemies - maybe the disease has spread to other animals (not all otherwise the characters probably wouldn't last very long). Dog's, bears etc... Or maybe it's mutated in humans to turn them into different enemies - ones that lay basic traps (like appearing dead at first only to come round when your back is turned, or hide in holes or begin to work in basic groups) or maybe they can start to climb walls and ceilings or develop more apendages to adapt to new types of living conditions (longer arms to reach further - stronger limbs to jump higher etc).

Just need to use a bit of the imagination.

Seems to undercut the Hero's Journey and largely, by that logic, we don't really need anymore TWD stories ever. Sure the fungus is imminent and its outbreak is unavoidable, but I don't see how going back to the beginning with an all new character is "going through the motions", especially if that characters fate is yet to be determined.

I'm separating videogame stories from stories in other media when it comes to this topic. I still don't like the idea of prequels, but I think they work much better in more "hands off" media. Like I said, in a video game, the "not knowing what will happen" is the ultimate driving force for me. That's not to say that characters and worlds that have their fate already laid out to the player can't provide a solid series of events, but ones where you don't outright know what's going to happen are the ones I feel work best with gameplay mechanics, those mechanics being what let the player feel like his or her actions have an impact on where the story goes, even if they actually don't. (because most of these narrative experiences are linear, even open world ones)

Also to reiterate, it's not about predestined characters or worlds, those can still flip the playbook whenever they want to, it's the idea of prequels. When you've already played one installment of a story, and for the next one you go back to the beginning from a different viewpoint to see things play out differently......but pretty much the same. I've never been a big fan of that kind of story, much less so in games.

It'd be interesting to put a protagonist in the next game who we care for, only to turn us against him or her, later on. I want to be skull fucked by the Naughty Dogs in such a way where I am asking the proverbial question "What the the good fuck just happened?"

Rape my brain, Druckman & Straley.

Amir0x

Banned
I'm separating videogame stories from stories in other media when it comes to this topic. I still don't like the idea of prequels, but I think they work much better in more "hands off" media. Like I said, in a video game, the "not knowing what will happen" is the ultimate driving force for me. That's not to say that characters and worlds that have their fate already laid out to the player can't provide a solid series of events, but ones where you don't outright know what's going to happen are the ones I feel work best with gameplay mechanics, those mechanics being what let the player feel like his or her actions have an impact on where the story goes, even if they actually don't. (because most of these narrative experiences are linear, even open world ones)

Also to reiterate, it's not about predestined characters or worlds, those can still flip the playbook whenever they want to, it's the idea of prequels. When you've already played one installment of a story, and for the next one you go back to the beginning from a different viewpoint to see things play out differently......but pretty much the same. I've never been a big fan of that kind of story, much less so in games.

I mean technically they can still make a prequel where you wouldn't know what happened. All they would have to do would be making the collapse of society a backdrop rather than anything to do with your primary goal. So I mean yeah you'd know this incidental detail that in 20 years or whatever the world will pretty much be rubbish, but you wouldn't know the outcome of any of the characters, any of the political/moral conundrums, any of the overarching themes or even any of the new gameplay elements. In most of the ways that matter, they could make it feel new.

But, like you, this to me feels like the sort of solution that you come up with when you don't have a ton of terribly compelling new ideas. But hey, as long as they don't use Joel and Ellie, I think they could make such a setting work if they did it as I said - incidental detail of societal collapse, not primary focus or goal of your characters to find out about that.

Still, like you, if they can avoid this, I too would want them to.

Lucent

Thank god people on Neogaf don't make executive decisions, dropping extremely successful IP's because you were satisfied with the story in the first entry is the worst reasoning.

Yeah. Besides, it's not gonna hurt the game you love so much to have a sequel. It's not like the first game will be ruined because of a sequel. If you think the sequel sucks, you can just pretend like it never happened. =/

BRING IT ON, NAUGHTY GODS!

I mean technically they can still make a prequel where you wouldn't know what happened. All they would have to do would be making the collapse of society a backdrop rather than anything to do with your primary goal. So I mean yeah you'd know this incidental detail that in 20 years or whatever the world will pretty much be rubbish, but you wouldn't know the outcome of any of the characters, any of the political/moral conundrums, any of the overarching themes or even any of the new gameplay elements. In most of the ways that matter, they could make it feel new.

But, like you, this to me feels like the sort of solution that you come up with when you don't have a ton of terribly compelling new ideas. But hey, as long as they don't use Joel and Ellie, I think they could make such a setting work if they did it as I said - incidental detail of societal collapse, not primary focus or goal of your characters to find out about that.

Still, like you, if they can avoid this, I too would want them to.

You're right in that they could take the game to a place where the outbreak and societal collapse is totally in the background, but at that point what's the use of making it a Last of Us prequel?

I feel like no matter the suggestion I'm going to seem unreasonable because I honestly don't feel like TLOU needs a followup of any kind. They had an idea and a world, they did a ton with them, they captured lightning with the Ellie and Joel relationship + performances, and I feel like they can comfortably move on. I'm not fooling myself though, and I know there will be a sequel. At this point, I'm looking forward to it more for what they can do with gameplay that wasn't possible on the PS3 more than whatever the story will be. Give me a game full of great AI and 3-way player/hunter/infected encounters and I'll be happy.

Didn't Druckman or someone else at ND mention that they were using Left Behind as a test bed for some ideas going forward? Like seeing how long they can get away with not having a combat encounter or something?

SEGIII

Neo Member
No. Don't.
Yeah.
I enjoyed the game, and I thought it had a good ending: conclusive albeit bittersweet.
A sequel would feel wrong if it continued Ellie and Joel's story. If it followed other characters, I would at least be more inclined. Still, this is not a game that needs a sequel.

EDIT: I would be HYPED for a game based on Savage Starlight. Just like the newspaper in Uncharted 3 gave a hint toward The Last of Us, the comics could have been a hint for a new IP...
in my dreams. :|

funkypie

Banned
Just new characters. There is nothing more to see of Joel and Ellie. Only possible scenario is people looking for ellie. Joel is done though let the bastard rest.

Ascenion

I'm 100% against this. TLOU works better as a one shot game. Leave us with that perfection and the memory and move on ND.

televator

I have no problem with them reusing the setting. The characters however, had a particular story already told. No need to reuse them.

ButchCat

I approve only if you start over meaning new story and new characters. The story for Joel and Ellie had a beginning and a satisfactory ending, so reintroducing them should not go beyond the capacity of an Easter egg.

If the last of us remastered won't be getting a "horde mode" dlc, then I predict the sequel (hopefully with different characters, setting and timeline) to have one.

Top Bottom