• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2004 PreSeason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMczaf

DCX said:
Stop posting Santa Kemp pics, it's making me cry!!

DCX

f09mcgrady.jpg

Don't worry, Kemp's man titties will help you!

DMczaf

Michael Jordan at 40 years old > Shawn "Crackhead" Kemp

:p

KEMP1.JPG

:lol

Sorry, but post-great player Shawn Kemp is too funny. Ok I'll be nice, some glory day pics

SHAWNKEMP.jpg
kpkemps.jpg
Kemp61296.jpg

Poody

What program do you use to photoshop a picture?
Damn The lakers look good. They have really impressed me these couple of games. I think they can take the pacific division with ease.

bionic77

Taken from the greatest win you ever saw topic.....

Dreamshake.gif

My God, that is one of the sickest collections of moves ever. He fakes out Dave like 5 times in a span of a few seconds.

This topic reminds me of a game I was in in high school. During my sophomore year me and a friend of mine were both bench players on the varsity basketball team. Well our team was down by like 10 with a few minutes left and somehow the other team starting pulling a Nick Anderson and starting missing a ton of free throws. Well, we were down by 2 with 10 seconds left and me and my friend both found ourselves in the game because most of the starters had fouled out. Well to wrap this story up, my boy hit a half court shot to win the game sending the entire gym into pandemonium. One of the craziest things I have ever seen.

The wierdest part of it was that after my friend made that shot he became like a 100x better overnight and went on to become our main offensive option while I started sporadically. :( Amazing how hitting a big shot like that can effect someone's entire game.

End of old man rant.

Miguel

28-1.jpg

My new wallpaper.

Hello...anyone there? Where did everyone go? Where's my monitor...who turned off the lights? OH GOD...I'M BLIND! :(

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
So Tmac goes and gets some ink. I think I can remember him saying that he would never get a tatoo because everyone else has them. Lier!!

It makes me so sad to see all those Kemp pics. He was such an amazing player. It's hard to imagine that his addiction is so strong that he convinced himself that he was better at that weight. Simply cause he knew he couldn't lose it all. What a sad sad case he is.

Shinobi

Loki said:
Dude, if Dominique Wilkins had a 48" vert and Jordan had nearly the same give or take an inch or two, then I'm pretty sure that Vince has a 47" vertical leap. As for the hangtime, well, yes, when he plants two feet and jumps more vertical than horizontal, he has great hangtime, because he gets really high due to his vertical leap.

But, much like Doninique, he's not an exceptional one-foot or horizontal leaper; McGrady and Jordan are better horizontal leapers (i.e., can get higher and cover more distance off of one foot on horizontal leaps such as layup attempts). To give you an example:

The Vince alley-oop dunk from Rucker, where he catches it in the air and then puts it through his legs-- insane, right? I'm not sure if Jordan could do that (he likely couldn't, but such things weren't even attempted back then). Remember the Jordan highlight where he catches the alley-oop on the break against the Knicks sideways, with Mark Jackson jumping to try to catch the pass, and Jordan just takes off sideways off of one foot, horizontally, and jams it and then lands on Ewing's head? Look where Jordan's head is on that play and where he takes off from, while running full speed, off of one foot. I don't think Vince could do that; I think TMac or Kobe possibly could.

Point being that Vince's hangtime is largely confined to the jumps that have a greater vertical component than a horizontal one (yes, this sounds crazy, but it's true). Does Carter have more horizontal or one-foot jump hangtime than 95% of other players? Yes. But it's nowhere near what TMac or Jordan have/had. Do you honestly think that Carter-- even pre-injury-- could do that move that TMac made against Charlotte that DM had as an avatar a while back, where he comes under the basket and flips it up at the last second with his left hand? Can Vince do Jordan's move against the Nets where he wends his way through 4 Nets defenders in the air to hit the reverse after taking off from the dotted line on the other side of the basket (this is my fave MJ move ever, btw, especially seen froma normal angle)? I don't think he can do either of those, or dozens of other things the two of them have done over the years. Likewise, Vince has done things that McGrady and Jordan most likely couldn't do, mostly things involving vertical leap (see: VC's Olympic jam over that 7-footer).

If one combined the instances of "jumps with more horizontal component than vertical" and "jumps with more vertical component than horizontal" (which are rarer, since you need space to plant both feet without getting bumped), then Jordan and TMac have more hangtime than Vince ever did imo, because they have greater hangtime on the majority of those leaps, which are horizontal leaps. I hope you don't think this is an artificial distinction I'm making here, because it's common knowledge that guys like Wilkins or Vince are great vertical leapers, while guys like Jordan, Drexler, and TMac are great vertical AND horizontal leapers (while not as good in the vertical as the pure vertical leapers are).

First of all, I'm just going by what I saw in the 2000 slam dunk contest. The highest vert they displayed in that contest was 37, maybe 38 inches. If you've got a problem with that, take it up with TNT. Steve Francis I think had a 40 inch vertical in that contest. :lol Vince did say that he could touch the top of the backboard either during his latter high school or early college days, but he hasn't had that much spring in a few years now.

In terms of not being a great one foot leaper, I'm not sure that's accurate. The two handed dunk he did a foot in front of the foul line was off one foot, and anyone with an ounce of brains knows that's a harder dunk to pull off then the one handed version. He simply uses two feet most of the time. I don't think anyone with those type of springs would have much trouble doing one foot leaps if they had to.

In terms of alley oops, I reckon there isn't one that's been done that Vince couldn't do. He's completely blown the doors off what I thought was possible...you throw it anywhere near the rim, and he'll throw it down with either one hand or two. And he does 'em cleanly, with such power and grace...it's just art.

That alley oop he had at Ruckers was a windmill dunk which he's done a half dozen times (he had one in a preseason game against the Sixers at UNC that I thought looked better). He's never done an alley oop through his legs ala J-Rich (one of the five best dunks I've ever seen), so he'll have to fix that I guess, heh.

I haven't seen the Jordan dunks you mentioned though, and I forget what the T-Mac one looks like, so I hope someone can direct me to them. I'll concede the point about vertial vs horizontal leaping, cause I wasn't quite sure what you meant before. But to say VC's dunks couldn't be duplicated simply due to vertical leap isn't accurate. He simply has ridiculous body control when he gets in the air, far beyond mere mortal men. Look at any of the 360 dunks that he's done (and there are many), and aside from a couple two handers against the Pistons and Knicks, they all look smooth as silk as if he isn't trying. Kobe's 360s in comparison look choppy as hell, like he's barely able to get them done. And the fact that VC's alley oop windmills look better then anyone's regular windmills is almost silly (but true).

Blackace said:
About two footed leapers...the human highlight was the purest and best there ever was... end of story...

Next to Vince, this is true. I've always thought that Nique was a better dunker then MJ though...or at least, the more attractive dunker. Just loved the way he powered those dunks down. But I can see why MJ is ranked above Nique as a dunker as well. It's all about preference. Vince in my mind combines 90% of Nique's power and 90% of MJ's agility, along with superior body control for an incredible dunking package. Just wish he'd dunk over a few more people, though he sure posterized the Sixers a week ago.

KE04 said:
shinobi, i know it isn't real. that much is said in my reply.

KE04 said:
um, him mentioning the '95 sonics as a potential trading partner should be enough to clue in even the most mentally retarded gimps that he was, in fact, venting.

Nice attempt at playing it off. :lol

Jumpman said:
Jordan was the best player in the air EVER, period. He's not called Air Jordan for nothing you know. :p

Vince has thrown down some of the sickest dunks in NBA history, but I think Jordan could have done any one of them. Everything Jordan did on the court was beautiful, graceful, art in motion. Whenever he would jump you know something great was about to happen. It's true that his dunks weren't as flamboyant as some you see today, but theres a reason for that. You just didn't showboat as much back then. If you tried to, you would get your ass handed to you on the next possesion. You can't get away with punishing showboaters very easily anymore, with the current rules, so people are more inclined to show off. Plus, if they can make a name for themself on the highlight shows, it leads to monster endorsement deals. With all that said, Jordan's airial exploits, although more subtle, were and still are unmatched.

Nah...you're crazy.

In the first place, don't try and tell me people didn't showboat back then. Jordan's every dunk was made with his tongue sticking out. And the rock the cradle dunk in game was showboating. But so the fuck what? If you're that good, showboat.

In the second place, VC has done 360's with ease, the statue of liberty dunk in game (and made it look twice as good as the original), a reverse 360 windmill, the elbow in the rim dunk, windmill alley oops, a breakaway alley oop against the Bucks where got so high his head was at rim level when he threw it down, a double pump reverse on the baseline, a self alley oop off the rim on an angle in traffic, a spin into the lane off a drive followed by a two handed facial on Divac, and a crowning of a 7 footer so badly his nuts scraped his head. I've yet to see the evidence that MJ could've done any of those dunks. The amount of new dunks that he did in his first two years was absolutely staggering. And remember that's the reason they brought the slam dunk contest back out of mothballs to begin with, since it was believed by more then a few people that we'd seen everything there was to see with the dunk. Well, VC murdered that notion.

One of these days we're gonna have to trade our dunk videos on like, Direct Connect or something. Pictures might speak a thousand words, but video speaks a couple million.

Jumpman

Shinobi said:
Nah...you're crazy.

In the first place, don't try and tell me people didn't showboat back then. Jordan's every dunk was made with his tongue sticking out. And the rock the cradle dunk in game was showboating. But so the fuck what? If you're that good, showboat.

In the second place, VC has done 360's with ease, the statue of liberty dunk in game (and made it look twice as good as the original), a reverse 360 windmill, the elbow in the rim dunk, windmill alley oops, a breakaway alley oop against the Bucks where got so high his head was at rim level when he threw it down, a double pump reverse on the baseline, a self alley oop off the rim on an angle in traffic, a spin into the lane off a drive followed by a two handed facial on Divac, and a crowning of a 7 footer so badly his nuts scraped his head. I've yet to see the evidence that MJ could've done any of those dunks. The amount of new dunks that he did in his first two years was absolutely staggering. And remember that's the reason they brought the slam dunk contest back out of mothballs to begin with, since it was believed by more then a few people that we'd seen everything there was to see with the dunk. Well, VC murdered that notion.

One of these days we're gonna have to trade our dunk videos on like, Direct Connect or something. Pictures might speak a thousand words, but video speaks a couple million.

I'm not saying people didn't showboat back then, just way less than they do now. And yeah, Jordan did his share of showboating. He was probably the biggest reason people do it so much now. He still had to keep a lid on it though somewhat. If he tried to goof on the old Celtics or Pistons, I guarantee you he would see a sharp elbow or hard foul next time down the court. As a result of this atmosphere during his athletic prime, we probably never saw all he could do, dunkwise.

I'm also not doubting Vince's abilities. The guy is (or was) a real life videogame character, with insane hops. It's clear that he has no trouble doing the things he does, but it also appears that he's pushing the absolute limits of his capabilities. Jordan on the other hand, looked like he wasn't even partially exerting himself. He could of jumped higher, but the rim was only 10 feet high so why bother.

I second the dunk videos idea. Maybe Loki can dig into his archives and put together a short video of MJ's best slams. Probably to much to ask though.

Shinobi

I completely disagree about VC trying...half the time he doesn't seem to be trying at all. Again, Kobe looks like he can barely do a 360 dunk most times, while I've seen Vince do effortless 360's in warmup after a mere jog to the rim. The only thing he exerts from his dunks is power...he's one of the most powerful dunkers I've ever seen, right up there with 'Nique. Vince is also the cleanest dunker I've ever seen...most of the time that ball goes through the hoop straight down to the floor, while other guy's dunks get caught up in the net or whatever. His total package is simply art.

We'll seriously have to sort something out for a video trade-a-thon...might be something we can do during NBA's opening week. I know DM's got a few vids from Jordan and Pippen.

Matlock said:
Dominique_Wilkins_Headshot(.jpg

"why thank you, shinobi...you doing anything tonight?"

Miguel

I typed this April 6th, 2003. :lol:lol:lol

francis_dunk_000212.jpg

Houston Rockets - Midwest (Division) Swing
(sing to St. Lunatics - Midwest Swing)

It's a Midwest thang, y'all - and we ain't got a clue
(Ain't got a clue) why our jerseys blue
and we got them stripes on them muh'f*ckers too
It's a Midwest swang, y'all - and they ain't gotta front
(They ain't gotta front) while they hit and run
Cause they do big thangs on the muh'****in Suns
It's a Midwest thang

Ay, ay, ay, ay, ay
What you think we gonna give up? N****, be for real
We got Ming, Francis and Cat, Posey and Mo T
Got a mean Cato, Glen Rice and Griffin
**** ain't been the same since we signed Hawkins
Rudy got ill, started taking his pills
Mean came in, Francis scoring at will
Had himself 11 dimes, scorin' on the drive
And after the foul, he'll be gettin' 3 from the line
He hear 'em cryin, "I'm-a foul out" ya damn right
You done fouled out before and shut down the same night
Straight hopped the next flight, the future looks bright
Dunkin without Sprite, yea you heard em dirty
We from the Lone Star State, show em seven Steve show you eight
Boards in one game, you out there lookin' tame
Representin' Houston everytime they breathe
In the city they touch down and we BELIEVE, ay

It's a Midwest thang, y'all - and we ain't got a clue
(Ain't got a clue) why our jerseys blue
and we got them stripes on them muh'f*ckers too
It's a Midwest swang, y'all - and they ain't gotta front
(They ain't gotta front) while they hit and run
Cause they do big thangs on the muh'****in Suns
It's a Midwest thang

Cloudy

Banned
Kobe and Ray-Ray. IT'S ON!!!!

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/sports/2002071877_soni25.html

Notebook: Allen-Kobe feud fuels exhibition

By Percy Allen
Seattle Times staff reporter

ROD MAR / THE SEATTLE TIMES
The Sonics' Ray Allen, left, and the Lakers' Kobe Bryant are becoming heated rivals.

E-mail this article
Print this article
Search archive
Most read articles
Most e-mailed articles

Related stories
Roundup: Knicks' Crawford scores 22 in win

SAN DIEGO — If Ray Allen were more succinct when answering questions, his friends say, then perhaps the Sonics guard might avoid uncomfortable confrontations like his one tonight against the Los Angeles Lakers' Kobe Bryant.

But Allen is anything but succinct, and his comments after Seattle's only exhibition victory two weeks ago, in which he questioned Bryant's leadership, enraged Bryant to the point where he issued a somewhat amusing threat.

According to a Lakers team source, Bryant telephoned Allen days ago and told him, "I'm gonna bust your ass," in anticipation of their 7:30 p.m. exhibition at the San Diego Sports Arena.

After yesterday's practice, Allen denied receiving such a message from Bryant, and before last night's game against Phoenix in Las Vegas, the Lakers guard scoffed when asked about the rumor.

"Don't even put me and dude in the same breath," he told a reporter.

Their denials notwithstanding, an otherwise meaningless exhibition in a non-NBA city has suddenly been infused with a little bit of intrigue because of the budding rivalry between the stars.

"I hope he plays me hard," Allen said. "I would like to think that he's been doing that already because when I play against him, I go hard at him whether it was something that's been said in the newspaper or whatever.

"That mentality doesn't change. I know it doesn't for me, and I'm quite sure he feels the same. But if he's extra motivated then he should know that I don't care what goes on in L.A. I could(n't) care less. ... My focus is on this team right here."

Allen acknowledged that in their last meeting, Bryant knocked him in the jaw with what appeared to be an inadvertent elbow. They not only exchanged elbows but volleyed verbal jabs that ranged from playful barbs to ugly insults.

Allen conceded the individual battle (he scored 25 points and Bryant had 35) but his team claimed an 87-80 victory.

"That part of the game, the way guys go at each other, has changed from when I first got into the league," said Allen, who was selected in the 1996 draft along with Bryant. "There's always been trash talking, but man, it's gotten so personal now. And Kobe, he talks trash with the best of them."

The war of words is nothing new for Bryant, who is verbally feuding with former teammate Shaquille O'Neal. As for Allen, he has received threats of violence from former teammates Glenn Robinson and Tim Thomas.

"I've had guys talk about me as a basketball player, and I'm OK with that," Allen said. "Whether I should be an All-Star or not or just other things. ... So this latest thing with Kobe, well, that's just funny. You know what it is, it's childish."

STFU, Ray. If you didn't care about LA, you wouldn't be ALL UP in their biz!! This should be good :lol

bionic77

Jumpman said:
I'm not saying people didn't showboat back then, just way less than they do now. And yeah, Jordan did his share of showboating. He was probably the biggest reason people do it so much now. He still had to keep a lid on it though somewhat. If he tried to goof on the old Celtics or Pistons, I guarantee you he would see a sharp elbow or hard foul next time down the court. As a result of this atmosphere during his athletic prime, we probably never saw all he could do, dunkwise.

I'm also not doubting Vince's abilities. The guy is (or was) a real life videogame character, with insane hops. It's clear that he has no trouble doing the things he does, but it also appears that he's pushing the absolute limits of his capabilities. Jordan on the other hand, looked like he wasn't even partially exerting himself. He could of jumped higher, but the rim was only 10 feet high so why bother.

I second the dunk videos idea. Maybe Loki can dig into his archives and put together a short video of MJ's best slams. Probably to much to ask though.

Vince has the greatest dunks of all time. End of discussion. I don't even know why we are debating this.

Jordan was definitely trying to get up as high as he could everytime he took off, but he had such good body control that he made it look effortless. Go look at Pippen when he was younger, he could be sprinting up the court, but he had such good body control that it looked like he was almost walking it up.

The only dunks that I think are in the same league as Vince are Spud Webb's. That bastard seemed to have a 50 inch+ vertical when he dunked it. Never seen anything else like that before.

bionic77

Fifty said:
Or the glory day talk of anyone :lol I can't wait for this year's season to begin.

Bah, that wasn't MY glory. I never got to start regularly because of that shot, that shot was my downfall!

Anyone else got some interesting stories of their own games? I know Loki must have some stories (and of course tape to back it up).

Bowser

RANKED 30th?!?

BELOW Seattle?

Fuck ESPN; Get off my favorites list. Charlotte is CLEARLY better than the Seattle Ray-nics.

;p

DMczaf

In response to a survey conducted by NBA.com, the GM's of the league voted for who they believe to be the best at each position.

At point guard, Jason Kidd received the most votes, followed by Steve Nash, Sam Cassell and Stephon Marbury.

At shooting guard, Kobe Bryant

At small forward was Tracy McGrady, followed by Kevin Garnett and Peja Stojakovic.

At power forward was Tim Duncan, followed by Kevin Garnett, as some general managers classify Garnett as a power forward, while others believe him to be a small forward.

Finally at center was Shaquille O'Neal, followed by a few votes for Tim Duncan.

WTF? When did T-Mac and KG become a small forwards? :lol

DMczaf

Ninja Scooter said:
when it became painfully obvious he was inferior to Kobe Bryant. Gotta fit him in SOMEWHERE.

Prison3.jpg

Kobe is the best damn shooting guard in the Prison Interstate League!

Loki

Count of Concision
TMac has always been listed (or regarded) as a small forward. Where have you guys been? Yes, Kobe's a better all-around player, but to say that they're classifying him as a SF now just to "fit him in" is mistaken. He's a full 6'8", for crissakes. :p

PG: 6'-6'4"
SG: 6'5"-6'7"
SF: 6'7"-6'9"
PF: 6'9" (bulky) -- 7'
C: 6'11"-7'5"+

There ya go. :p

Loki said:
TMac has always been listed (or regarded) as a small forward. Where have you guys been? Yes, Kobe's a better all-around player, but to say that they're classifying him as a SF now just to "fit him in" is mistaken. He's a full 6'8", for crissakes. :p

finally, a voice of fucking reason. just because t-mac jacks up an inordinate amount of shots for yet another loss does NOT QUALIFY HIM AS A SHOOTING GUARD.

Loki said:

sorry Loki, but he's a SG.

CF-McC.jpg

Get that weak shit outta here!

DMczaf

KE04 said:
and another thing, *guard* denotes DEFENSE. WHEN HAS TMAC EVER PLAYED A LICK OF DEFENSE IN HIS YEARS IN THE NBA????

Seriously though, did T-Mac kill your grandma or something? I don't like Kobe but I'm not nearly as negative towards him then you are of T-Mac. There has to be a back story here.

DMczaf said:
Seriously though, did T-Mac kill your grandma or something? I don't like Kobe but I'm not nearly as negative towards him then you are of T-Mac. There has to be a back story here.

the attention he receives for not accomplishing ONE GOD DAMN THING TEAM RELATED in his career is simply astonishing to me. his character, as i've out outlined in previous posts, really fucking irks me.

frankly, he's a loser.

Loki

Count of Concision
DMczaf said:
He's 6'8 but he's been the starting SG for the Magic for 4 years now, and soon to be the Rockets starting SG.

Really? They must have some other guys who can't switch up positions like he can, then, so they have to put those guys at SF and PF etc.

I'm just saying that, traditionally, 6'8" is considered to be a small forward. Take the average height of all the players in the league on starting rosters listed as SF's, and I bet you it's close to 6'8".

DMczaf

I know what you are saying, but T-Mac is a freak :lol

6'8 Shooting Guard

the attention he receives for not accomplishing ONE GOD DAMN THING TEAM RELATED in his career is simply astonishing to me. his character, as i've out outlined in previous posts, really fucking irks me.

frankly, he's a loser.

So he did kill your grandma? Damn, that's fucked up.

DMczaf said:
I know what you are saying, but T-Mac is a freak :lol

6'8 Shooting Guard

So he did kill your grandma? Damn, that's fucked up.

can you fucking read? jesus christ. i've explained why i don't like him, and no, it doesn't involve him killing my grandmother.

READIN COMPREHSUN IS FUN 4 ALL

DMczaf

KE04 said:
can you fucking read? jesus christ. i've explained why i don't like him, and no, it doesn't involve him killing my grandmother.

READIN COMPREHSUN IS FUN 4 ALL

I hate Pepsi

Loki does have a point in that the line between positions (especially G/F) is so blurred nowadays. Really we should just classify all SG/SFs as swingmen. They're pretty much interchangeable, and it all depends on matchups.

Jumpman

Shinobi said:
I completely disagree about VC trying...half the time he doesn't seem to be trying at all. Again, Kobe looks like he can barely do a 360 dunk most times, while I've seen Vince do effortless 360's in warmup after a mere jog to the rim. The only thing he exerts from his dunks is power...he's one of the most powerful dunkers I've ever seen, right up there with 'Nique. Vince is also the cleanest dunker I've ever seen...most of the time that ball goes through the hoop straight down to the floor, while other guy's dunks get caught up in the net or whatever. His total package is simply art.

We'll seriously have to sort something out for a video trade-a-thon...might be something we can do during NBA's opening week. I know DM's got a few vids from Jordan and Pippen.

Well I'm sure you've seen more of Vince than I have, but I inevitably catch most most of his best stuff on the highlight shows. He is definitely one of the best dunkers of all time. However I think you might think that he's the best because he's given you highlights much more recently than Jordan has. It's real easy to forgot what happened 15 + years ago. One Jordan dunk in particular has me convinced he could jump every bit as high as Vince can. I can't remember what team he did it against, but it was during his first few years in the league. He took off from the left side of the rim, from what must of been free throw line distance and stuffed it with his right hand. He jumped so high that his body looked damn near horizontal to the floor as he leaned into it on approach. He easily had his head and one shoulder above the rim when finally finished his flight.

In the end though I like MJ's dunk style, and you like Vince's. It's cool with me, it's not like your preaching the greatness of Harold Minor or something. :D

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
foreheadbank.jpg

Defensive wins championships....wait in his case it doesnt.

"Haha I can see your future ...you wearing a Boston uni with no rings"
010124.jpg

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Haha good point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom