• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2004 PreSeason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMczaf

Cloudy said:
Ray Allen punked out! What a bitch! :lol

preseason.jpg

VPhys

Count me in the crowd watching this preseason Laker game over the 2 crapola teams on Monday night football.

VPhys

For the first time in a while it looks like this season the Lakers are going to have an outside game other than Kobe.

Loki

Count of Concision
Why does NBA TV insist on showing these retarded programs instead of showing preseason basketball? I swear, watching NBA TV, I feel like if I ever saw Ahmad Rashad in person, I'd kick him in the nuts. :D He's ubiquitous-- I half expect to see his picture on the side of the sodas that you see the fans holding in the arenas during one of those enthralling "Inside Stuff" dunk segments....from 1992. <rolleyes>

Seriously, who is their programming director? Right now, they're showing an Ahmad Rashad "special preview" of the upcoming 1995-96 NBA season. I'm missing preseason basketball for this? I mean, as a Jordan whore with an extensive videotape library, I'm all about living in the past :)D), but only voluntarily, when I feel like reminiscing; I don't like retro ball forced on me, catching me unawares, depriving me of watching good ball being played NOW. I mean, I'm paying good money for this station dammit... :(

They only show perhaps one or two preseason games per week on freaking NBA TV, for crying out loud. It was bad enough that I had to endure the torture that was the WNBA playoffs-- apparently, I didn't pay for NBA TV, I paid for WNBA TV (get your own channel, ladies). Now this. Grrr....

Miguel

Tierre "Preseason" Brown isn't going anywhere except IR, or free agency.

<Mike_Works> The Pistons will award a ring to a randomly selected fan on Nov. 2, the same day Detroit players and coaches will raise a banner celebrating their NBA title and receive their rings.
<Mike_Works> That's retarded
<MiG-> wtf
<MiG-> wait!
<MiG-> Mike: does Karl malone have like 10,000 tickets for that game?

DMczaf

For the first time in pro sports history, one fan will receive a championship ring and two tickets to the Pistons opener against the Houston Rockets on November 2nd as the lucky winner of the Pistons Ultimate Fans Giveaway Contest!

malones-vi.jpg

VPhys

K2 will be crucial this year. I have to admit the Lakers look damed good over the past few games. Before I thought the Lakers making the playoffs would be an accomplishment, but now it looks like a given.

Takuan

DMczaf said:
I know what you are saying, but T-Mac is a freak :lol

6'8 Shooting Guard

Here's a funny snippet from an old issue of KICKS, starting off with SLAM asking Tim Duncan, Tracy McGrady, and Kevin Garnett who'd they trade bodies with for a day given the opportunity, and there's discussion about real height vs. actual height as well as other funny tidbits:

TD: I'd take him [pointing at McGrady]. I'd like to fly like him for a night. I'd take a 40-inch vertical for a night.
KG: You do got a 40 - I'd say it's more like a 45.
TM: Well, I'd probably take his body [pointing at KG], but then I'd be guarding people like him [points at Duncan]. So that's why it's hard for me to say that.
KICKS: So that's why you still want to be listed at 6-9, so you won't have to guard guys like him?
KG: [Excited] Put in there that Tracy McGrady is [Duncan joins in] 6-10.
TM: I'm not 6'10. I've never been listed at 6'9.
KG: That's 'cause you tell 'em not to! Really, if it was up to you, you'd be 6-6. Chillin', beastin'. [Laughter] What's your wingspan, man?
TM: I don't know, yo.
KG: That shit's like eight foot. [Laughter] No bullshit, this is a real-ass story. I seen Mac come from the other side of the free-throw lane and block Wally's shot - a three. Blocked it. And he jumped - you think I'm BSin'. Blocked it.
KG: You long. Son, your wingspan is like, 8-2.
TM: OK, but I'm 6-8.
TD: 6-10.
KG: 6-10. And I'm tellin' everybody, too. When we go through scoutin' reports - "Son is 6-10." We need to put a four on him. What are you, two? You play everythign one through what, four? I know you guard everything one through four. I seen you one game, you had to guard Joe Smith.
TM: What are you talkin' about, I be guardin' you sometimes! Shit. Joe Smith, you...
KG: Get your ass outta here, I gotta chase you through...
TM: You a pest too,you. You a fuckin' pest. You be holdin' like a muthafucka out there.
KG: [Sarcastic] Yeah, I hold like a muthafucka.
TD: [Laughing]
TM: Damn you be holdin'!
KG: Oh my God, this is crazy. Now I'm holdin'.
TM: He won't let me breathe, man.
KICKS: And you're 7-2.
KG: Yeah, I'm 7-2. Holdin'. You can't get near Tim, though. You can foul out in the first half if you get too close to Tim. If you get too close to Tim, it's a foul and everything... All it takes is this: "He's on my elbow!" If he don't get the bank? Tweet!
TD: [Still laughing]

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
" Damn that muthafucka can fly....gets me all excited in the crotch area muthafucka."

504_59024_tmac.jpg

Shinobi

:lol I remember almost falling on the floor reading that interview at a store last year...it's just a classic.

DCX said:
20front

Christ Almighty!

DCX

:lol I've got a vid of this dunk tourney, which also had a thin ass Paul Pierce. The stuff Vince was doing in this contest would own 90% of today's NBA players.

bionic77 said:
Vince has the greatest dunks of all time. End of discussion. I don't even know why we are debating this.

Haha yeah, I should've just said that now that I think about it. He's got the best posterization dunk ever (2000 over Weiss, never to be duplicated), the best open court dunk ever (for my money it's the reverse 360 windmill, never to be duplicated) and the best alley oop dunks ever (any of his windmill alley oops, or the mindblowing one handed cockback jam in LA against the Clippers that blew up the entire crowd...again, never to be duplicated).

Miguel said:

:lol

Jumpman said:
One Jordan dunk in particular has me convinced he could jump every bit as high as Vince can. I can't remember what team he did it against, but it was during his first few years in the league. He took off from the left side of the rim, from what must of been free throw line distance and stuffed it with his right hand. He jumped so high that his body looked damn near horizontal to the floor as he leaned into it on approach. He easily had his head and one shoulder above the rim when finally finished his flight.

In the end though I like MJ's dunk style, and you like Vince's. It's cool with me, it's not like your preaching the greatness of Harold Minor or something. :D

In terms of the horizontal look, was it something like this?

vince_carter.jpg

Alas, this dunk didn't even count.

In terms of hops, I think Jordan jumped every bit as high as Vince did in his leaping prime. I simply disagreed with the notion that Vince didn't have hang time. There's one dunk he did at home against the Bulls where he spun off Ron Artest near the post, drove to the rim, went up and under a player, and still managed to get a dunk off with his right hand (even though his head was pratically underneath the backboard). It's just unreal.

BTW, :lol @ Harold Miner.

BTW, if you guys want a good laugh, watch the brawl highlights between the Bulls and Wizards. It's one of the best NBA tussles I've seen in a while...though I don't think a punch was landed, they were defintely throwing 'em instead of the usual slaps.

Takuan said:
Here's a funny snippet from an old issue of KICKS, starting off with SLAM asking Tim Duncan, Tracy McGrady, and Kevin Garnett who'd they trade bodies with for a day given the opportunity, and there's discussion about real height vs. actual height as well as other funny tidbits:

TD: I'd take him [pointing at McGrady]. I'd like to fly like him for a night. I'd take a 40-inch vertical for a night.
KG: You do got a 40 - I'd say it's more like a 45.
TM: Well, I'd probably take his body [pointing at KG], but then I'd be guarding people like him [points at Duncan]. So that's why it's hard for me to say that.
KICKS: So that's why you still want to be listed at 6-9, so you won't have to guard guys like him?
KG: [Excited] Put in there that Tracy McGrady is [Duncan joins in] 6-10.
TM: I'm not 6'10. I've never been listed at 6'9.
KG: That's 'cause you tell 'em not to! Really, if it was up to you, you'd be 6-6. Chillin', beastin'. [Laughter] What's your wingspan, man?
TM: I don't know, yo.
KG: That shit's like eight foot. [Laughter] No bullshit, this is a real-ass story. I seen Mac come from the other side of the free-throw lane and block Wally's shot - a three. Blocked it. And he jumped - you think I'm BSin'. Blocked it.
KG: You long. Son, your wingspan is like, 8-2.
TM: OK, but I'm 6-8.
TD: 6-10.
KG: 6-10. And I'm tellin' everybody, too. When we go through scoutin' reports - "Son is 6-10." We need to put a four on him. What are you, two? You play everythign one through what, four? I know you guard everything one through four. I seen you one game, you had to guard Joe Smith.
TM: What are you talkin' about, I be guardin' you sometimes! Shit. Joe Smith, you...
KG: Get your ass outta here, I gotta chase you through...
TM: You a pest too,you. You a fuckin' pest. You be holdin' like a muthafucka out there.
KG: [Sarcastic] Yeah, I hold like a muthafucka.
TD: [Laughing]
TM: Damn you be holdin'!
KG: Oh my God, this is crazy. Now I'm holdin'.
TM: He won't let me breathe, man.
KICKS: And you're 7-2.
KG: Yeah, I'm 7-2. Holdin'. You can't get near Tim, though. You can foul out in the first half if you get too close to Tim. If you get too close to Tim, it's a foul and everything... All it takes is this: "He's on my elbow!" If he don't get the bank? Tweet!
TD: [Still laughing]

notice the lack of TD quotes besides him laughing. he's probably wondering what contest he lost in order to be a part of this trailblazing segment.

Takuan

Yeah, TD pretty much laughed through that entire segment. There's a lot more interview that I didn't paste, though. The interview IS pretty much all Garnett, I mean, the questions are directed at everyone but Garnett has the most to say. He's such a joker, gotta love him. Here's a bit more:

KICKS: You feel like that, too, Tracy? That you need balance?
KG: You are the smoothest muthafucka out there on the floor.
TD: He don't know the game happenin'. [Laughter] He don't know the game happenin' until he gets the ball.
KG: I tell you, TMac, like - he like Superfly out there. [Laughter] I tell people this all the time - that muthafucka be out there glidin'. One minute he [holds hand still] then pushes forward] whoosh. Like you probably the most - you like Heathcliff the cat, yo. Top Cat, all the cool muthafuckas who just cool, and Tim the same way, you think they cool and they quiet, then all of a sudden, boom.

Shinobi

Haha, TD was too busy laughing his ass off while T-Mac and KG talked shit.

Saw Pierce and Bron talking shit during the game (Pierce leveled Bron earlier in the game with a hard pick)...I'm loving this extra intensity.

Oh yeah, one of VC's ex-agents is suing him...don't know why considering he's the clown that embezzled money from Vince to begin with.

:lol The Bulls/Wiz fight was HI-LARIOUS! Sportscenter replayed it from like 3 different angles, and you can see Eddy Curry try to punch Brenda Haywood in the balls while she's on the floor.

Cloudy said:
Ray Allen punked out! What a bitch! Talked all that shit and bailed out at the last minute :lol

Kobe punked him out during the game!

Allen and Bryant came face-to-face with 3:18 left in the first quarter when Bryant chased a ball out of bounds in front of Allen, who sat on the Sonics bench in slacks and a shirt. "I'll see you again," Bryant said to Allen.

Allen responded, then smiled as if amused by the vehemence behind Bryant's words. Center Jerome James shouted to Bryant to go occupy himself with something else (only he didn't say as nicely). Lamar Odom looked over at the Sonics bench and said, "He started it though," motioning his head toward Allen. "He knows he started it."

It was the most exciting moment in an otherwise one-sided game. The Lakers led by seven points after the first quarter and were up 23 at halftime. The Sonics never got closer than that in the third quarter.

Allen did not practice on Sunday in San Diego because of his back, which has bothered him since a preseason game in Spokane on Oct. 17. He has not been ruled out of playing in tonight's preseason game in Phoenix, but said he will probably have his back examined when the team returns to Seattle.

As for missing last night's matchup with Bryant?

"This is preseason," Allen said. "We play each other four times during the year. I won't get my drawers in a twist over this game."

Bryant apparently did. Bryant talked to teammate Caron Butler about it on the floor during warm-ups, sneering when he said the words, "sore back."

Now you've done it, Ray. You've unleashed the monster.
t1_kobe_ap.jpg

"Its raping time!"

Shinobi

Ninja Scooter said:
and you can see Eddy Curry try to punch Brenda Haywood in the balls while she's on the floor.

Gotta say, it does look pretty bad that Ray missed this game after all the jawing that was going on. But like he said, they tangle four times. Odom is right though...Ray started this shit last year after comparing himself to Kobe due to being drafted the same year. Anyway, the more rivalries that can develop, the better.

Jumpman

Shinobi said:
In terms of the horizontal look, was it something like this?

vince_carter.jpg

Very much like that, actually. The main difference being Jordan was turned somewhat sideways, with his legs in a scattered, awesome looking pose. It was like one of the great masters of sculpture had created a statue of the perfect dunk, and then brought it to life.

That's an awesome picture by the way. :)

DMczaf

bionic77 said:
Steve Kerr = visionary

Steve Kerr, predicts the Lakers win the Pacific. :D

I always liked Kerr, ever since Jordan rode his coattails for his second threepeat. :D

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=sk-playoffs-detlal-&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

OVERALL
I'm tempted to predict the upset. If Detroit can find a consistent second scorer behind Hamilton, force L.A. turnovers and convert them into easy baskets, take care of the ball and play great defense, the Pistons have a shot.

But that's a lot of "ifs."

Kobe and Shaq are just too tough for anyone to handle, and Malone and Payton can smell their first titles. Detroit will put a scare into the Lakers, but it won't be enough.
Lakers win in six games.

:lol Should have stuck with that upset prediction, Kerr...

Cloudy

Banned
InsideHoops.com: Talk about getting traded to the Mavericks. Were you expecting it?

Jason Terry: Man, it was big. I'm a big video game fan, and I play NBA Live, and I had already traded myself to Dallas prior to the season, at the season's end last year. So it was kind of surprising, but at the same time I kind of jinxed myself into it. I know I'd be moving out of Atlanta. They were rebuilding. So, it's good.

SAN DIEGO — The rematch between Kobe Bryant and Ray Allen never got past the trainer's room.

Allen did not play in Monday's exhibition against the Lakers, citing a sore back that "just came to a head the last two days." His absence temporarily halted a feud that began two weeks ago.

Allen was critical of Bryant after Seattle beat the Lakers in an Oct. 12 exhibition, predicting Bryant would behave selfishly this season and would demand a trade within a year or two if the Lakers were not championship contenders.

Bryant's initial response to Allen's remarks — "He'll have to see me on that court" — was revisited the day before the presumed rematch, when Bryant crisply said he and Allen shouldn't even be mentioned "in the same breath."

Bryant appeared disappointed, if not disbelieving, as word trickled out that Allen would not play Monday.

"Sore back?" Bryant said loudly during pregame drills. "You kiddin' me?"

Bryant seethed over Allen's remarks after the first exhibition, so much so that he called Allen a few days ago and apparently left a message that he planned to run Allen off the court, in so many not-so-pleasant words. But Allen said Monday he recently changed his phone number and never received a message from Bryant.

Bryant scored 35 points in 41 minutes the first time the Lakers played Seattle; he had only two points in nine minutes in the Lakers' 117-91 victory Monday at the San Diego Sports Arena.

With 3 minutes 18 seconds left in the first quarter, Bryant went to take the ball out of bounds in front of the Seattle bench, saw Allen sitting there and said sternly, "I'll see you again."

Allen smiled wryly. A Seattle teammate told Bryant to get lost, loosely translated.

Allen, who missed Seattle's practice Sunday, said he would probably undergo an MRI exam today.

The teams' first regular-season meeting is Dec. 14 at Seattle.

"We play each other four times a year," Allen said. "I can't get my drawers in a twist over this game. I don't know Kobe. I don't have anything personal against him. I just try to play my best when I play against him. I know he does the same."

Allen, a four-time All-Star, was irritated on two occasions in the Oct. 12 game. He was upset when Bryant blocked one of his shots and glared at him as he fell down. Bryant also accidentally elbowed Allen in the jaw, which led to a verbal exchange.

It's on like Donkey Kong! Now he suddenly "doesn't know Kobe"? What about the full-page analysis he gave about Kobe's play and personality a week ago? Don't start what you can't finish, Ray :lol

Cloudy

Banned
Haywood is a biyaaaatch tho. How do you throw the punch, then back-pedal all the way across the court? :lol

Plus that push on Hinrich was total crap and dangerous...

Takuan

Hahaha, that's hilarious. I just watched the video in one of my school's librarys, couldn't stop chuckling. So good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom