• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2017 Playoffs |OT| WE DID IT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fjordson

Im not saying the Cavs will win anything. But in many ways you have already jinxed yourself, just by having these bolded thoughts. You might have not said it, but you thought it. You fucked up! This is on you!
Lmao. I'm honestly not trying to. The Cavs have been really bad so far by Lebron teams standards, but I still think they'll be back in the finals somehow.

In case the Warriors lose this year

E06s5Y9.gif

I think Raptors are the first major threat to a Lebron team, and that has more to do with their roster being pretty complete, no real holes. Only other major comparison is 2013 Pacers, but they had to contend with Prime Lebron, and a still highly effective and great Heat team with Wade contributing and Bosh being good

In case the Warriors lose this year

E06s5Y9.gif

I think Raptors are the first major threat to a Lebron team, and that has more to do with their roster being pretty complete, no real holes. Only other major comparison is 2013 Pacers, but they had to contend with Prime Lebron, and a still highly effective and great Heat team with Wade contributing and Bosh being good
Their holes are that both their stars turn into D league scrubs once the playoffs actually begin.

Their holes are that both their stars turn into D league scrubs once the playoffs actually begin.

Lowry was injured the past two years, with injuries that kept nagging him throughout (the loose bodies in his wrist aren't prone to reinjury this year)

DeRozan might struggle to score again, but unlike last year when he was really mainly a scorer for the Raptors, post-ASB he really impressed me by becoming a facilitator, really picking up his defense, etc. Even if he's not shooting well, I think he has much more value as a more versatile player this time around

TTG

Filled out our bracket thingy, went really conservative. Bulls in 6 over Celtics, no other upsets, I'm boring.

Sorry if this is asked a lot but how do I watch this in Europe? There seems to be an international nba access pass but can I watch those on demand on the ps4? I don't have a computer at the moment.

El Topo

Sorry if this is asked a lot but how do I watch this in Europe? There seems to be an international nba access pass but can I watch those on demand on the ps4? I don't have a computer at the moment.

Maybe this app in combination with a league/access pass? Is it available in Europe? Depending on where you live, there might also be local services, e.g. DAZN for Germany.

Edit:
Their German site, see e.g. here, has a lot more information. Seems like an app should be available. Apparently there's a free trial until the 16th, so maybe test it?

Lowry was injured the past two years, with injuries that kept nagging him throughout (the loose bodies in his wrist aren't prone to reinjury this year)

DeRozan might struggle to score again, but unlike last year when he was really mainly a scorer for the Raptors, post-ASB he really impressed me by becoming a facilitator, really picking up his defense, etc. Even if he's not shooting well, I think he has much more value as a more versatile player this time around
Lowry is also coming back from injury this year. They've been garbage in PS and until proven otherwise, they're in that wheelhouse. They have yet to prove they can step up in PS and people shouldn't assume they will until they actually do so.

I wouldn't be surprised if Bucks beat them in 6 or 7.

and the sample size to make this assumption is how big?
3 straight years of D league play during the PS.

Marz

As far as upsets go I could see the Bucks beating the Raptors, Jazz beating the Clippers, and the Thunder slowing the pace down and grinding the Rockets with Westbrook and their bigs.

Bulls can give the Celtics a series with Wade and Butler probably the best 2 players on the court most of the time but their team is not as good as the Celtics.

Tony Allen will miss at least a month with a strained calf.

Personally, I like what Wayne Selden (likely replacement starter) has shown. Playoffs are a different animal, but he's a very confident player who has some mighty big shoes to fill.

Lowry and Derozan will be terrible. But our bench and Ibaka + JV should help us out. Controlling Middleton will be the major area of concern.

Casey better have a fucking short leash this year on Kyle and Demar if the start playing clown ball.

Lowry is also coming back from injury this year. They've been garbage in PS and until proven otherwise, they're in that wheelhouse. They have yet to prove they can step up in PS and people shouldn't assume they will until they actually do so.

I wouldn't be surprised if Bucks beat them in 6 or 7.

3 straight years of D league play during the PS.
kyle-lowry-featured.jpg

Lowry's elbow was fucked last year. His injury this year was "loose bodies in wrist" - post-surgery the injury can't flare up or come back in any way, the main issue is getting back into a rhythm

jdstorm

Banned
I'm starting to think we should take Lauri first overall if we get the pick.

They should take Lonzo Ball. Defensive C's are easy enough to find on the open market and this draft is weak for Bigs. Lonzo ball gives the Celtics a 6'6 wing who can create his own shot and shots for others while being a potential closer from the SG position. It also gives them a nice lottery 2/3 tandem with Adams and Brown.

Draft your Franchise big man with next years pick (or combine a few of your assets and trade for one. If Al Horford is on the table, teams will listen.

Edit. This is Draft Express' 2018 mock draft. Just look at all the bigs and salivate. http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2018/

They should take Lonzo Ball. Defensive C's are easy enough to find on the open market and this draft is weak for Bigs. Lonzo ball gives the Celtics a 6'6 wing who can create his own shot and shots for others while being a potential closer from the SG position. It also gives them a nice lottery 2/3 tandem with Adams and Brown.

Draft your Franchise big man with next years pick (or combine a few of your assets and trade for one. If Al Horford is on the table, teams will listen.

Edit. This is Draft Express' 2018 mock draft. Just look at all the bigs and salivate. http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2018/

You don't pass on a guy like Lauri.

jdstorm

Banned
You don't pass on a guy like Lauri.

Sure you do. Lauri only averaged .5 steals and .7 blocks per 40 minutes in college. Steals and blocks are one of the best indicators of future success at NBA level as they measure agility and athleticism. Those numbers are poor. Aditionally his averaging 1.2 assists per 40 seems to indicate that he is a poor passer and or struggles to read the game at college level speed.

There are enough skilled big men who are learning to shoot 3s that i would rather try and turn a big man at a later pick with a good FT% into a 3pt shooter (enough Pros have shown its a skill that can be developed in the NBA) over drafting a high potential player with only one statistically proven skill. Thats madness.

Better to play it safe with the lotto pick. If Boston want a 7ft PF/C who can shoot that badly Isiah Hartenstein will be availiable in the mid first round and projects to do exactly that, just at slightly less volume. Hartenstein also seems to have a better handle and feel for the game.

The Celtics are also lucky that the Suns, Lakers and Magic wont be looking at Ball even if they do get the No1 pick and possibly further. NY and Philly are probably the most interested. Boston has a pretty good shot getting Ball at 2 or 3 and they wont slip past no 4.

i never celebrate player injuries, i just think that Tony Allen being out indefinitely with a calf strain will be really helpful to the Spurs.

Bread

Banned
If there's a Lauri available and you have a draft pick (draft picks can be used to select players) I believe you have to select him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom