• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2K17 Presents: The Prelude

ron_bato

I never play this for the career, but it would be good to see the new mechanics for the game before it comes out.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
They really have to try hard to make it worse than last year's Spike Lee cringe

ron_bato

I think it was in one recent beastcast episode where alex said they actually included a good tutorial this time

Yeah, it's also confirmed in the press release.

The Prelude” experience will include enhanced MyPlayer personalization through new mobile phone face scan technology via the MyNBA2K Companion App, and an all–new tutorial mode in 2KU, featuring 2016 USA Basketball Coach Mike Krzyzewski (“Coach K”).

Included in “The Prelude” is 2KU, a tutorial featuring Coach K, focused on fundamental basketball strategies including pick and roll execution, proper defensive positioning, ball movement, boxing out, court awareness and more.

This is good for a lot of people who want to get into the game, as the accessibility is one of the weakest parts of the game (largely due to the lack of a proper tutorial).

StereoVsn

I really hope Story mode is not trash this time. I actually thought they were on the right track with 2K15 which was quite decent and then Spike Lee Joint ruined the whole thing.

Getting 2K17 anyway for MP with friends but I am really hopeful they are not going to completely mess it up this time. Good tutorial mode would also be welcome for the new players as 15 and 16 were terrible in that regard.

newjeruse

I really hope Story mode is not trash this time. I actually thought they were on the right track with 2K15 which was quite decent and then Spike Lee Joint ruined the whole thing.

Getting 2K17 anyway for MP with friends but I am really hopeful they are not going to completely mess it up this time. Good tutorial mode would also be welcome for the new players as 15 and 16 were terrible in that regard.
Hoping for Spike Jonze this year.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
I'd love to give this series an honest shot, but without a good tutorial mode it's futile.

I think it was in one recent beastcast episode where alex said they actually included a good tutorial this time

New and old huh? Does this mean they are actually trying to teach you the game this time around?

"Included in “The Prelude” is 2KU, a tutorial featuring Coach K, focused on fundamental basketball strategies including pick and roll execution, proper defensive positioning, ball movement, boxing out, court awareness and more."

Hopefully it's sufficient. I've played this series since the first 2K so I never thought about how complicated it would be for a new person to break in to these games until gaf mentioned it. Hell, there's a handful of things in the game I never do because I just can't remember how even though I put over 50 hours into the game each year.

I would assume the president thing is a nickname you pick. Coach K has been confirmed to be the tutorial coach. I'd imagine a USA select setup. This is going to be fun.

The $10 cert from bestbuy is just icing on the cake.

Can't wait. This'll make the wait easier and give time to prepare a player properly. Sad they still got the sizing limitations, since sg gets screwed over on dunking and some other stats.

Glad that college is back. Was hoping they would've confirmed the rumor about the story being about making the next great NBA duo like KD and Westbrook. But I'm hyped as hell if we get to do the olympics!

"Included in “The Prelude” is 2KU, a tutorial featuring Coach K, focused on fundamental basketball strategies including pick and roll execution, proper defensive positioning, ball movement, boxing out, court awareness and more."

Hopefully it's sufficient. I've played this series since the first 2K so I never thought about how complicated it would be for a new person to break in to these games until gaf mentioned it. Hell, there's a handful of things in the game I never do because I just can't remember how even though I put over 50 hours into the game each year.

I only started playing NBA 2K16 due to it being a freebie with Plus. Now, bear in mind the last serious basketball game I played with any fervour was TV Sports Basketball on the Commodore Amiga.

That being said, I used to play basketball in the English National Basketball League for Chester Jets. This was back in 1993 when I was 18 years old. So I have a great understanding of the sport.

What I really struggled with in 2K16 was understanding the controls. How to take shots, when to use the right stick for shots/lay ups and when not to. How to box out, call for passes, set picks, plays, etc.

It's taken me lots of trial and error combined with constant referrals to the control guide, but even now I still don't feel totally in control of shots at times (why the fuck does myCareer guy always miss lay ups? There's no way my guy should be a pro-player with the amount he misses. It's a basic shot ffs.)

I was expecting myCareer mode to have training sessions that would act as tutorials but alas the only training sessions happen once you're in NBA year 2.

So yeah, the lack of tutorials is a massive mis-step and if a basketball guy like myself can feel overwhelmed, God knows what basketball noobs feel like.

Tubobutts

I only started playing NBA 2K16 due to it being a freebie with Plus. Now, bear in mind the last serious basketball game I played with any fervour was TV Sports Basketball on the Commodore Amiga.

That being said, I used to play basketball in the English National Basketball League for Chester Jets. This was back in 1993 when I was 18 years old. So I have a great understanding of the sport.

What I really struggled with in 2K16 was understanding the controls. How to take shots, when to use the right stick for shots/lay ups and when not to. How to box out, call for passes, set picks, plays, etc.

It's taken me lots of trial and error combined with constant referrals to the control guide, but even now I still don't feel totally in control of shots at times (why the fuck does myCareer guy always miss lay ups? There's no way my guy should be a pro-player with the amount he misses. It's a basic shot ffs.)

I was expecting myCareer mode to have training sessions that would act as tutorials but alas the only training sessions happen once you're in NBA year 2.

So yeah, the lack of tutorials is massive so if a basketball guy like myself can feel overwhelmed, God knows what basketball noobs feel like
You talking about missing lay ups reminded me of how shitty it was that they gave you the lowest rating in the whole league (by a large margin) and then didn't let you improve it until you finished the first year. I hope they don't do something like that again.

You talking about missing lay ups reminded me of how shitty it was that they gave you the lowest rating in the whole league (by a large margin) and then didn't let you improve it until you finished the first year. I hope they don't do something like that again.

Yeah, whilst I didn't expect to enter the NBA as dominant as I was in HS/college, I expected to have the same level of competence. But instead of the situation being more difficult, it felt like my skills were nerfed. So open lay ups became missable in the NBA, which is absurd. Just cos I'm in the NBA, that doesn't mean my open lay ups and free throws should suddenly become challenging.

I'd also like to see forwards become a viable option in myCareer as they're complete bollocks compared to guards and bigs. I had to go SG in myCareer as SF was gimped.

That being said, 2K16 is utterly amazing to me. It does an amazing job of recreating basketball.

Top Bottom