• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2K7 First Look (PS3) - "a richer appearance than the 360 version"

mckmas8808

Banned
They also put in extra time in the motion capture studios to enhance the realism on the court, so players really had a sense of being in a game situation. In fact, Greg Thomas, the president of Visual Concepts pointed out that as they've been spending more and more time with the hardware, they've started realizing that future game titles for both the 360 and PS3 will have to have different development cycles to fully take advantage of each console's power.

Speaking of taking advantage of the PS3's power, the team has been using the computational power of the system to enhance a large number of the standard features that the game is known for. For instance, the cloth physics of jerseys and shorts has been assigned to one SPU on the PS3 instead of multiple cores on the 360 so that it can move more realistically than ever without taking away processing power for the rest of the game.

Players will be able to shoot free throws by tilting the controller back and then leaning it forward. While you can do it with minor movements, you can also hold and tilt the controller as if you were actually shooting with a basketball. - see video demonstration

Visually, the game has been taken up to a new level, particularly in how the game action is rendered. Not only have the in-game visuals been beefed up thanks to the power of the system, but according to Thomas, the way the PS3 renders pixels gives the game a richer appearance than the 360 version. It looks much more organic and lifelike, and if you thought you were watching a real game on the 360, just wait till you see it on the PS3.

nba-2k7-20061003050819002-000.jpg

nba-2k7-20061003050819658-000.jpg

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/737/737118p1.html

Ruh-oh. First day pick up for me. But I wonder what does he mean the way the PS3 renders pixels?

Dante

but according to Thomas, the way the PS3 renders pixels gives the game a richer appearance than the 360 version. It looks much more organic and lifelike, and if you thought you were watching a real game on the 360, just wait till you see it on the PS3.

Cue 10 page thread.

mckmas8808

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:
:lol

"It'll look like you're REALLY REALLY watching a real game now!"

I have a feeling I would be really really bad at that free throw technique.

Do you or have you ever played basketball?

Raistlin

mckmas8808 said:
Ruh-oh. First day pick up for me. But I wonder what does he mean the way the PS3 renders pixels?

I'm guessing it's because the PS3 has better shader performance, so they can take advantage of more effects passes.

KarishBHR

Just watched the videos, looks about the same as the 360... and IMO if there is a difference it's extra development time, not "the way it handles pixels", they just want to sell as many 2k7s as possible

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
g23 said:
Haha & they still look the same! Atleast 360 gets Xbox live!

reed teh thred nub, teh pixels ar different.

I thought all EA games were online for PS3. I am sure they are.

You shoot using the tilt function as well

Forget the days of pressing a button. With the new tilt controller, you actually shoot the ball. That's right, grab a PS2 controller and practice your stroke right now. Hold the controller with one hand in the middle, bring it up to your head, pause, then act like you're shooting the ball, complete with follow through. Instructions on the screen will rate your performance, tell you if you're too fast, too slow, or if you're pushing the controller to the right or left. Meanwhile, your opponent can pull the triggers to make your hands vibrate, making life more difficult as your polygonal player steps to the line.

The videos give you a better idea though.

The only thing that is still up in the air right now is the online play: Visual Concepts has been trying to work out how online will be implemented for the PS3. It's been a challenge for them to include that feature in the game, and their testers have been working around the clock figuring out how to work the game with Sony's as yet unannounced network platform. However, as Thomas put it, Visual Concepts has been known as an online pioneer, so the overall plan is to have the game out within the launch window with the feature firmly established within the game.

See, now, if there was ever an Online setup that was almost completely run on the side of the developers, it would be 2K's. There's no truskill or any Live style matchmaking. They just built a rock solid Online Experience on their own steam. I figured 2K online would be a no brainer. They've done all the work themselves, it seems.

mrwilt

Rice-Eater said:
You shoot using the tilt function as well

your opponent can pull the triggers to make your hands vibrate, making life more difficult as your polygonal player steps to the line.

The videos give you a better idea though.

Does that mean rumble is back in the controller?

PleoMax

Banned
Our hands or the in game dude's hands?

The controller has rumble again?

Wtf make ****ing sense guy who wrote that!!!

g23

European pre-madonna
Its a known fact that the PS3 can outpower the 360 in games head to head slightly, but the difference is very very unnoticable.

KarishBHR said:
Just watched the videos, looks about the same as the 360... and IMO if there is a difference it's extra development time, not "the way it handles pixels", they just want to sell as many 2k7s as possible

How much extra dev time are we talking about? 2 months now?

If you've played 2K7, you'd know the freethrows are mo-capped to how the individual player actually shoots them - meaning you have to know everybody's exact release point. Using the controller to shoot it like a real free throw is a cute idea, but not something you're going to find very practical.

Bebpo

Banned
I just watched the free throw video and I think IGN are playing jokes on the internet.

-I thought the PS3 can't detect where the controller is? Just motion right? The hand movements seem too compex for that.

-They never show him doing the motions and the game reacting at the same time.

LiveFromKyoto said:
If you've played 2K7, you'd know the freethrows are mo-capped to how the individual player actually shoots them - meaning you have to know everybody's exact release point. Using the controller to shoot it like a real free throw is a cute idea, but not something you're going to find very practical.

If true, maybe they're getting rid of that? It's sorta annoying online unless you know each player of your team's animation down pat and a generic one with motion flick would honestly be better online IMO.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
BenjaminBirdie said:
It would seem so. How else could they do that?

In the article it says

Specifically, players will be able to shoot free throws by tilting the controller back and then leaning it forward. While you can do it with minor movements, you can also hold and tilt the controller as if you were actually shooting with a basketball. Thanks to this new system, you will need to know the particular shooting stroke of the players on your team to be successful: while Dwyane Wade's shooting was a bit easier to handle, Shaq's laborious attempts to balance the ball easily threw us off every time. Defenders also have a chance to throw off free throw shots by shaking their controller whenever the other team steps up to the line, which will shake the screen in an attempt to throw the timing of the shot off.

HMMMMMM

KarishBHR

guys there is no way vibrate is back in, and that statement in the article makes me feel like the article is even more BS sony dick sucking

mckmas8808

Banned
LiveFromKyoto said:

Why not? I'm curious.

Willy Wanka said:
In the article it says

HMMMMMM

Ah. That explains that. And could go a long way to making this the most annoying version of 2K7 on the racks, depending on where they draw the line. I mean, I can wave my arms really quickly. Combine that with trying to physically shoot free throws like a pro? Well, at least there are other ways to score points...

mckmas8808

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:
You have to have the physical timing of about 400 professional basketball players down pat.

Hmmm......how about that makes the game more challeging and more immersive. Isn't that what gamers want and strive for? Immersion.

mckmas8808 said:
Hmmm......how about that makes the game more challeging and more immersive. Isn't that what gamers want and strive for? Immersion.

Well, since I suck at basketball personally, no I don't really want to have to be able to shoot a free throw. I play video games to AVOID being good at sports.

:D

mrwilt

http://sports.ign.com/articles/737/737051p1.html

NBA Next
The next generation of stars get a first look at the next generation of basketball games, NBA 2K7 for the PS3. First screens and video.
by Jon Robinson
October 3, 2006 - "Here comes Darth Vader."

Those are the words of Shaun Livingston, AKA Shaun Skywalker as he walked out onto the House of Moves motion-capture court in Los Angeles, about to add his flair for dribbling and dunks into NBA 2K7 PS3. Livingston was joined in black spandex by fellow Clip Corey Maggette, "The Daily Double" Dwight Howard, and the man with the sickest dunks this side of Vinsanity, Andre Iguodala.

The day started with jokes, ended with a bloody lip, and in between 2K Sports was sweating about $20 grand thanks to a Howard swat that rattled the scaffolding above, knocking out two lights that never recovered while his agent yelled at him to knock the ball even harder, hoping for "The Natural" effect as the players continued their dunks below.

I don't think he realized the $10,000 a light cost associated with his words.

Dwight Howard gets his flex-on.

Chalk it down to the price of reality. The reality of NBA 2K7 for the PS3, a game that is already playing as smooth as the 360 version with enhanced AI (better clock management, more post moves) and a show stopping new wrinkle to shooting free throws.

Forget the days of pressing a button. With the new tilt controller, you actually shoot the ball. That's right, grab a PS2 controller and practice your stroke right now. Hold the controller with one hand in the middle, bring it up to your head, pause, then act like you're shooting the ball, complete with follow through. Instructions on the screen will rate your performance, tell you if you're too fast, too slow, or if you're pushing the controller to the right or left. Meanwhile, your opponent can pull the triggers to make your hands vibrate, making life more difficult as your polygonal player steps to the line.

"This is sick, man. It's genius how realistic the shooting feels," says Maggette. "I'm the type of guy, though, if you're shooting a free throw with the controller like that, I'm going to slap your hand, smack the controller, do anything to make you miss."

Maggette wouldn't put down the controller once he picked it up. The biggest gamer of the bunch, he already has NBA 2K7 for the 360, but he can't wait for the PS3.

"I'm just glad the game is lifelike. 2K doesn't make games based off what they think you look like or what they think you might do. They make realistic games based off what we do in real life, and that's why I play."

When Dwight Howard saw the game for the first time, he could only repeat one word: "Awesome."

"You want to come in my lane?" Asks Howard.

"I don't even know how to explain it," Howard continued. "Who comes up with this stuff? When you're shooting a free throw, you're actually shooting with the controller. The way technology is headed and the way 2K Sports incorporates it, it's just awesome, that's all I can say. This is one of the best games out there already, add to that the new free throw shooting and you know why everybody loves 2K Sports. What's next? Are you going to put on one of these motion-capture suits and play the game out in your room while you watch what happens on the screen? If that's how things go, you'll be driving on me in the game. I don't recommend that."

Looking at the man-child's muscles, I could feel the pain just imagining any type of bump in the paint.

And the kid is still growing

mckmas8808

Banned
mrwilt said:
http://sports.ign.com/articles/737/737051p1.html

"I don't even know how to explain it," Howard continued. "Who comes up with this stuff? When you're shooting a free throw, you're actually shooting with the controller. The way technology is headed and the way 2K Sports incorporates it, it's just awesome, that's all I can say. This is one of the best games out there already, add to that the new free throw shooting and you know why everybody loves 2K Sports.

Nice endorsement. Can't wait to shoot real free throws with Shaq.:lol

Top Bottom