• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Playoffs 2019-2020 |OT|

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
If Bucks lose first round to Orlando who had a 33-40 record, I don't ever want to hear about how good Bucks and Giannis are ever again.

As a Bucks fan I can assure you that you at least won't hear about the Bucks again because Giannis isn't sticking around if we don't win this year.

It's straight back to the "teams most likely to move to Seattle" list. Again.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
tenor.gif
If we play them as poorly as we did the last game, I think he's right. We missed so many open 3s, it was embarassing.

He’s known to shrink in the NBA Finals for sure but his track record in the first three rounds are impeccable. Still, that was in the East lol. This Portland team is the equivalent is the toughest team I’d say he’s faced in the playoffs since the GSW, Celtics squad that took Cavs to 7 in 2018

We’ll see how he responds

All time great no doubt. Just old now on top of his poor odds. Plus this season stoppage surely doesn't help old chaps. Still, he could get lucky and see some key injuries to the top tier teams + Silver doing his magic.

Cutty Flam

Banned
All time great no doubt. Just old now on top of his poor odds. Plus this season stoppage surely doesn't help old chaps. Still, he could get lucky and see some key injuries to the top tier teams + Silver doing his magic.
I’m one of the biggest LBJ doubters around, but make no mistake he’s still a top 15 player. Dangerous until he’s injured. Still, this season depends more on the role players and if they can step up. LBJ and AD will execute. But how consistent will the rest be? Lakers are a great team, but they’re not clear cut winners imo

bender

What time is it?
I love how the Lakers announcers bitch about Lebron needing more help the entire game. That wasn't a call for his teammates to step up but for better pieces to be put around him. Seems like a narrative is already developing just in case this team fails.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Can't wait for game 2 to see if Lakers come out swinging. There's no way they play this soft again. Fucking pathetic being the number one team and not sending a message right out the gate. You have a dude playing with a broken back beating you lmao

Yeah. The bad part about this performance is Skip Bayless will be happy, especially with those missed free throws. At least Shannon Sharpe will be miserable.

I don't know why can't just be happy that he's the best player of his generation and instead have to pretend like he's the best ever. He's not. He'll never be like Mike.

The Blazers got too many guys who can flat out score, if the Lakers don't attack that soft defense with a bit more intensity then shit's getting topsy turvy real soon.

The NBA is for the taking this season, anyone can chip. It makes the Hayward injury hurts even more.
Exactly. This is where this match up really looks good for portland. Like Chuck said in the post, for the Lakers to win this series they need AD and Lebron to have great games every game. This lakers squad is built for the regular season IMO - they still need that dude that can flat out score.

Can't wait for game 2 to see if Lakers come out swinging. There's no way they play this soft again. Fucking pathetic being the number one team and not sending a message right out the gate. You have a dude playing with a broken back beating you lmao
True, but I also don't think it's likely that Portland shoots this badly again.

Last edited:
Deep down I've the Lakers winning cause I know they can tighten the defence around the perimeter and they have better bigs + refs. Blazers bigs are also relatively dogshit - specially Nurkic. With that being said, any close game is advantage Blazers. Dame is a cold blooded killer, unlike Lebron, in crunch time.

Last edited:

Cutty Flam

Banned
Exactly. This is where this match up really looks good for portland. Like Chuck said in the post, for the Lakers to win this series they need AD and Lebron to have great games every game. This lakers squad is built for the regular season IMO - they still need that dude that can flat out score.

True, but I also don't think it's likely that Portland shoots this badly again.
A lot is riding on both the superstars and I feel like there is a heavy burden on the shoulders of Danny Green and Kuzma to score. KCP can get hot but it's rare. If LAL don't make excellent use of their size + strength in a major way + make shots it can get ugly fast for them. It's a huge relief that Kuzma was up for the challenge, I wasn't too sure if he was going to respond well to the pressure and intensity in these playoff games. If today's game is any sign of his performance they might come out on top. A lot rides on Kuzma stepping up and being efficient, which might be too much to ask for this early in his career. But he played alright today

A lot rides on Kuzma stepping up and being efficient, which might be too much to ask for this early in his career. But he played alright today
Yeah, I like Kuzma but I think he's still a couple years away. The lakers should've tried to keep him and Ingram together, but I get it they got AD now. Kuzma played well tonight but like usual he has those moments where he looks lost on the court.

This is going to be a good series. LA will no doubt wake up but Portland is riding that hot hand. Sounds crazy but it reminds me of when the Warriors took out the Mavs in the first round in 06-07

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Whew. Raps weren't looking great after 3 quarters.
Embiid is a faux superstar no matter how you slice it. Could be argued for Simmons as well. Unless they are healthy together, 76ers are nothing
Philly is also a team with an abnormally better skew when playing at home. Check their recent years for W-L home/away. Embiid is probably a baby and plays great at home, but lousy on the road.

Before covid bubble games, Sixers only lost twice at home. Best home record in the league. Who knew.

Without a home crowd, this team isn't even .500. The worst road record among all team that have good overall records.

Last edited:

Teletraan1

Banned
That is what sucks about this shit. It completely eliminates home court. I have been to Raptor playoff games and they are insane. I am sure it is similar in a lot of cities. Some teams feed on that. Who cares how the court is dressed up if it is the same energy home or away.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
That is what sucks about this shit. It completely eliminates home court. I have been to Raptor playoff games and they are insane. I am sure it is similar in a lot of cities. Some teams feed on that. Who cares how the court is dressed up if it is the same energy home or away.
Not sure about basketball as I only had some games on in the background, but hockey is retarded.

They still classify teams as home/away, but the arena sound guy plays crowd noise, goal horns and music equally between both teams. The league didn't even bother asking the arena guy to try skewing the audio to help the "home" team.

The only advantage the home team gets is last line change.

Last edited:

Hinedorf

Banned
Thoughts on Lakers

This might be the most fucked up thing I've ever thought in regards to seeing the Lakers win, I think I'd bench Danny Green right now for JR Smith....... Jesus I really said that. Green is fucking so cold right now Portland isn't a team you can keep jacking up misses and right now Green has ZERO CONFIDENCE. At least with JR you know that motherfucker gonna be launching it without a second thought.

AD looks scared and soft as fuck, Kuzma needs to bulk up next year, Dwight Howard was unfairly abused by the refs, LeBron looked like maybe the 4th or 5th best player on the court.

Still expect the Lakers in a 7 game series but wow

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Thoughts on Lakers

This might be the most fucked up thing I've ever thought in regards to seeing the Lakers win, I think I'd bench Danny Green right now for JR Smith....... Jesus I really said that. Green is fucking so cold right now Portland isn't a team you can keep jacking up misses and right now Green has ZERO CONFIDENCE. At least with JR you know that motherfucker gonna be launching it without a second thought.

AD looks scared and soft as fuck, Kuzma needs to bulk up next year, Dwight Howard was unfairly abused by the refs, LeBron looked like maybe the 4th or 5th best player on the court.

Aside from a handful of games, Danny Green was ice cold in last year's playoffs. Solid during regular season. Disappears in the playoffs. His playoff performances last bunch of years is awful.

That's how Fred Van Vleet got full time minutes, and Raps dumped Green. Van Vleet was a bench player but took over Green's spot.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Paul George was a better player when he was the man
Thoughts on Lakers

It was a bad look overall. Scrappy game with no true rhythm to it. But things will get better for both teams. They were all just getting a feel. Things are going to open a lot more in games 2+3

Top Bottom