• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Regular Season 2017-18 |OT| KD's chip, IT's hip, LeBron's Sinking Ship

Kawhi a top 3 player? Sorry guys, but Bron, Curry, and KD are basically the top 3 guys today. Kawhi maybe 4th. Depends on how you rank Westbrook or Harden against Kawhi.

I agree that curry, kd and bron are top 3 but he's the clear no. 4. Ranking WB or Harden over him is insane.

Cornbread78

Kawhi a top 3 player? Sorry guys, but Bron, Curry, and KD are basically the top 3 guys today. Kawhi maybe 4th. Depends on how you rank Westbrook or Harden against Kawhi.

Yeah:

Bron
KD
Curry
Westbrook
Kawhi
Harden
Davis

It gets real cloudy right around here.....

Kawhi is probably number 2. Watching him play is so...elegant? Hard to describe. I still believe that Kawhi could have won at least 2 games for the spurs against the warriors this past year.

1. Lebron
2. Kawhi (silent assassin)
3. KD
4.Curry
5. Harden
6. Westbrook
7. Davis
8. KAT
9. Giannis
10. Paul

JWiLL

Banned
NBA Gaf is definitely more fun than NFL Gaf. Warriors hate will never touch Patriots hate. And the players make the NBA entertaining whereas with football it feels like an addiction that you can't shake, a better sport but run incompetently by complete assholes. Players own the NBA, and that's how it should be.

Yes...a better sport indeed. Only the finest of sports are those which end up with most of their players dead by 55. Truly, the best game.

I hear Warren Sapp is doing terrifically these days.

(Sorry I'll stop. Best sport in the world, etc.)

On the NBA front - I can't believe the season is finally here. That off season was insane, but felt longer than usual. I'll be tuning in to the Cavs-Celtics tonight for an early look at the 2 teams my Raptors will be ignored by the media for this season.

Curry over Kawhi? You guys are crazy.

Have you ever heard of this thing called "defense"?

Curry gets dinged for not being as tall and long as LBJ, Kawhi, and KD. But for his position he's actually solid on defense.

The thing is he has such a huge effect on offense that it still puts him in contention for top 3, and I would personally rate him above KD. LBJ is the only other person in the NBA that teams will absolutely sell out to stop to a similar extent, and I'd argue they go even further when it comes to Curry. He warps the other team's defense and creates open looks for his team just by being on the floor.

Kawhi is not even that good. LMA is still the better player on the Spurs.
#FreeHitta?

How about AD, CP3, and PG13? Are they worse players or just in worse team situations?
That immediate underclass is CP3, Wall, Giannis, and AD imo. Superstar imo means your team is a getting into the playoffs no matter what. It's arguable that CP3 is still with the bottom of the top 6, depends on the time of day, and whatever other factors matter to you there.

On Kawhi though - it's not about his one game against Golden State. He didn't have a bad game the entire fucking playoffs.

In previous years I was really skeptical about his ability to truly become the guy on offense. He averaged 27.7/7.8/4.6/1.7/0.5.

What was more ridiculous was his fucking shooting percentages. 52.5/45.5/93.1 splits (4.6 3PA, 8.5 FTA).

His overall TS% for the playoffs was 67.2%.

There literally wasn't a spot on the floor Kawhi couldn't score from. It was fucking ridiculous.

airjoca

Curry gets dinged for not being as tall and long as LBJ, Kawhi, and KD. But for his position he's actually solid on defense.

The thing is he has such a huge effect on offense that it still puts him in contention for top 3, and I would personally rate him above KD. LBJ is the only other person in the NBA that teams will absolutely sell out to stop to a similar extent, and I'd argue they go even further when it comes to Curry. He warps the other team's defense and creates open looks for his team just by being on the floor.

Curry is solid, Kawhi is a perennial DPOY candidate.

Farsi

I was on ESPN this morning and this is the first thing I saw

nBpVJWX.png

Harden has a big fucking head.

Giving the voodoo magic to Kyrie tonight, him and his gang are going to expose the old geezers. Glad the process is back.

kaiju

I was on ESPN this morning and this is the first thing I saw

nBpVJWX.png

Harden has a big fucking head.

Giving the voodoo magic to Kyrie tonight, him and his gang are going to expose the old geezers. Glad the process is back.

Beards tend to cause this perception.

ActualFickleBluebreastedkookaburra-max-1mb.gif

Eos

Bron
KD
Kawhi
Curry
These are the top 4 players in the league, you don't really watch the games if you have anyone else in their place.
manny.png

Syrus

Banned
Defense is less important than offense since good offense beats good defense. Not to mention Curry is decent on defense anyways.

Both can be true.

Take my OKC. Andre Roberson....hes probably one of the best defensive players right now. Top 3 easily. He holds Harden down hard. I think one game Harden was 3 of 18 woth Andre on him.

But he has no confidence in his offense and is TERRIBLE at free throws and below average at most on 3 points.

Does him holding the other teams best or top offensive or play maker to bad shooting negate his terrible offense or when they start hacking him?

Its a conundrum. But this year we have Melo Russ and PG13 so they dont need him for offense.

Its tough. I dont get why he cant makre free throws

Scottie Pippen was a better two way player than Magic, but no-one in their right mind would say he was a better player in general. It is possible to be so prolific on one side of the ball that it compensates for the other, especially in a 3point happy league where Curry's king. So yes, the sum of Kawhi's game is greater including defense but Curry's marksmanship combined with elite shooters around him is too valuable to not be at worst a top 3 player. A team's defense is not typically geared to stretch out 25 feet to account for a guy who can hit from that range with volume and efficiency.

Ripenen

Why doesn't Klay make any of y'alls lists?

He's very good on defense
He's deadly from anywhere on the floor
He's got good size and endurance, moves a lot and doesn't seem to get tired

The only areas I see him possibly lacking are ball handling and maybe passing? Not really because he sucks at those things but because those aren't things he's needed to do at GSW.

phanphare

Banned

The only areas I see him possibly lacking are ball handling and maybe passing? Not really because he sucks at those things but because those aren't things he's needed to do at GSW.

klay's more of a top 15-20 guy

Klay's great but he really struggles creating for himself. That plus he has a habit of missing too many layups. :p He fits perfectly on the Warriors, but I'm not sure he'd have quite the same impact on other teams. Top 20 is about right.

china klay the real number 1

random25

Curry's offense is once in a generation level. There's a reason why the supposed to be jump shooting team has won two chips when that has not worked in the past. Kawhi isn't even the best defender right now.

Yeah that's not gonna happen.

Haha no. Unless LeBron join them which he won't. They have Ball with a broken jumper and no pick for next year.

No way.

They still have so much rebuilding. I would give them 5 years before they are in the playoffs again. Possibly 4.

Now, if Lebron and George move to LA next year that would change drastically, but IMO, I don’t see that happening.

In one to two years, yes, Lakers will be the better LA team. This isn't that much of a stretch. I expect the Clips to fall off pretty hard the next year or so, CP3 was everything to that team. 4 years 😂.

Which is fine, cause this Warriors run isn't ending for a few years.

And I think Klay is underrated because he doesn't need to do a lot of those things that the others do because he has so much around him. Dude scored 60 on 11 dribbles. If he was on another team and asked to take 20-25 shots per night, he'd be a top 5 scorer and probably their best defender.

But since he has one of the greatest scorer's in history on one side, and the best 3 point artist in history on the other, along with the leagues best all around defender...easy to overlook. Dude is the top grade Audi in a land of Bentleys and Ferraris.

phanphare

Banned
In my old days, the saying was "offense wins games, defense wins championships".

I miss the old days...

that's pretty much how it is still

the mark of a team that can make a run in the playoffs is being top 10 in offense and defense

golden state was 1st in defense last season and they won a chip
cleveland was 9th in defense for 2015/16 and they won a chip
golden state was 1st in defense for 2014/15 and they won a chip
spurs were 3rd in defense for 2013/14 and they won a chip
miami was 7th in defense for 2012/13 and they won a chip
miami was 4th in defense for 2011/12 and they won a chip
mavs were 9th in defense for 2010/11 and they won a chip
lakers were 6th in defense for 2009/10 and they won a chip
lakers were 4th in defense for 2008/09 and they won a chip
celtics were 1st in defense for 2007/08 and they won a chip

etc.

I think most people recognize him as a complimentary star, basically a perfect fit for Golden's offense. He's not a guy whose going to be your lead option on a contender. And, he's really not much of a ballhandler or passer. No, those skills aren't needed from him on the Warriors but they aren't parts of his game that could be utilized elsewhere.

Also the term "great offense beats great defense" rings true for the most part but elite defensive players like Kawhi transcends that. There are maybe only 2 or 3 players that can make that claim.

Also the term "great offense beats great defense" rings true for the most part but elite defensive players like Kawhi transcends that. There are maybe only 2 or 3 players that can make that claim.

It really doesn't, though. Not in the real season. You know, the one that starts in April.

that's pretty much how it is still

the mark of a team that can make a run in the playoffs is being top 10 in offense and defense

golden state was 1st in defense last season and they won a chip
cleveland was 9th in defense for 2015/16 and they won a chip
golden state was 1st in defense for 2014/15 and they won a chip
spurs were 3rd in defense for 2013/14 and they won a chip
miami was 7th in defense for 2012/13 and they won a chip
miami was 4th in defense for 2011/12 and they won a chip
mavs were 9th in defense for 2010/11 and they won a chip
lakers were 6th in defense for 2009/10 and they won a chip
lakers were 4th in defense for 2008/09 and they won a chip
celtics were 1st in defense for 2007/08 and they won a chip

etc.

Yep. Even the seeming outliers, like the 2015 Cavs or 2010 Mavs really ratcheted up their D in the postseason. GSW would not have won their first title in 14/15 without playing some tremendous D. Both Memphis and Cleveland bogged them down offensively in a major way during that run.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
https://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtba...ith-golden-state-warriors-games/#2e60066e124f

Here are the 10 games with the most expensive tickets for the 2017-18 NBA season.

Warriors at Lakers (Dec. 18): Median price-$1,306, Minimum-$526
Cavaliers at Warriors (Dec. 25): Median-$653, Minimum-$264
Cavaliers at Celtics (Feb. 11): Median-$592, Minimum-$235
Warriors at Cavaliers (Jan. 15): Median-$535, Minimum-$147
Rockets at Warriors (Oct. 17): Median-$413, Minimum-$174
Thunder at Cavaliers (Jan. 20): Median-$398, Minimum-$115
Celtics at Warriors (Jan. 27): Median-$397, Minimum-$162
Thunder at Warriors (Feb. 24): Median-$382, Minimum-$165
Warriors at Knicks (Feb. 26): Median-$377, Minimum-$171
Warriors at Thunder (Nov. 22): Median-$364, Minimum-$149

Top Bottom