• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA2K10: Videogame Scam of the Year - post#476 you gotta be KIDDING

GCQuinton

Arpharmd B said:
Ok what is with all the sponsers. I saw Gatorade, Sprite, Tmobile...

Sports game have gotten so shameless. Between yearly updates, tons of sponsers, and DLC you would think they'd be making enough money to be shipping finished games at least.

Aren't all of those NBA corporate sponsors too? That may have something to do with it as well.

Man, this is why I don't buy the nba games anymore. All of the companies seem to try their hardest to suck. They've gotten worse than baseball now.

Smokey

moop2000 said:
He/She? speaks true. That response is used for every sports title bug that they do not want to fix. They know that the uninformed masses will still pay for shit so why would they care when the profit margin is still large enough to justify this behavior. It's sad too when so much venom is directed at QA when I guarantee that all of those bugs were found way before the title was slated to ship.

The "best" thing they could would be to ship the title and then just do a roster update the next season and then release a new game the following season. The 2 year dev cycle would help the problem. Unfortunately this will never happen.

I don't think there is really venom at the QA people. My venom (don't know about anybody else's) is towards the dev team that CLEARLY knew this game wasn't complete before shipping it AND knew shit still was not corrected after the patch. Certain game modes still do not work, or are fucked up so much they might as well not work...and this is a month plus out of launch.

It's a scam.

And I hope the bitches over at 2K are reading this thread and realize they are gonna be losing sales.

Not like they care..they still sold almost 600k of a beta copy of game.

linsivvi

Smokey said:
I don't think there is really venom at the QA people. My venom (don't know about anybody else's) is towards the dev team that CLEARLY knew this game wasn't complete before shipping it AND knew shit still was not corrected after the patch. Certain game modes still do not work, or are fucked up so much they might as well not work...and this is a month plus out of launch.

It's a scam.

And I hope the bitches over at 2K are reading this thread and realize they are gonna be losing sales.

Not like they care..they still sold almost 600k of a beta copy of game.

Wow. I was thinking of getting back to annual basketball games and then I saw your thread. Guess I'll wait for another year at least.

But yeah I seriously doubt anyone at 2K care. If anything Bethesda has taught us, it's that you can release a bug-ridden game and still be embraced by fans and be called GOTY. And then release a GOTY version a year later with even more console freezing and crashing bugs. The majority of the gamers for some strange reason are willing to pay for broken products and feel ok with it.

I'd be up in arms with the rest of you guys had I bought the console version of the game like I did the last 2 years. At $20 the glitches and bugs become less infuriating and more comedic.

Rented Madden 10 and I thought that it's probably one of the best iterations of Madden in years. Made me actually think twice about breaking my Madden boycott.

anachronous_one said:
Just wanted to laugh at the fact that Ronnie2K just tweeted the following:

If anyone cares anymore, RT that shit and tell them to fix online leagues (or anything else you're still having problems with)!

:lol
worst game of this generation.
this game is severely broken.

charsace

anachronous_one said:

If anyone cares anymore, RT that shit and tell them to fix online leagues (or anything else you're still having problems with)!
This cat is fucked in the head. No fucking way they are getting my vote. I am at work right now, but if the UFC game is there it will get my vote or FIFA.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I'm actually kind of glad that there is no college hoops this year. My heart wouldn't be able to take it...

WaltJay

GCQuinton said:
Aren't all of those NBA corporate sponsors too? That may have something to do with it as well.

Yeah, all three are major NBA sponsors. Just watch any TNT telecast and you'll see the same set of sponsors found in 2K. So to increase the presentation's realism, getting the key sponsors found on telecasts isn't the worst idea in the world.

anachronous_one

Prologue Type S Alpha
Good lord. Not sure how recently this updated roster hit, but it "fixed" the Carlos Arroyo issue.

For those of you that don't know, an earlier roster update was released that included the addition of Carlos Arroyo to the Miami Heat. It also added melanin to Carlos Arroyo:

old-arroyo.jpg

Well, as promised, 2K "fixed" that problem with the most recent roster update . . . or DID they?:

new-arroyo.jpg

Now who the hell is THAT supposed to be?

The Bald Man from Fringe:
the-bald-man-fringe.jpg

Or Carlos Arroyo:
real-arroyo.jpg

They changed the skin tone, but then gave him a face utterly devoid of any distinguishing characteristics?! Is that REALLY their idea of a fix?

This sort of "fix" really kind of sums up the sloppiness that I, and many other 2K fans, have overlooked in the series for the past couple years. I'm not sure hope is controlling the QA and calling the shots, or why things seem to be on the downward slide the past few years, but this is ridiculous.

Man I am so happy that I bought Live 10 this year for PS3. I love the game. It has it's glitches and issues, however, many of the issues in the first patch for Live 10 were exact fixes that the gaming community wanted, such as a "Back Down in the Post button" and they did what we wanted.

The game is still far from perfect, but from reading about NBA2k10 and NBA Live 10 on the OS Forums, it is pretty obvious that those who bought 2k10 are furious right now.

Zep

Banned
3rdamention said:
Man I am so happy that I bought Live 10 this year for PS3. I love the game. It has it's glitches and issues, however, many of the issues in the first patch for Live 10 were exact fixes that the gaming community wanted, such as a "Back Down in the Post button" and they did what we wanted.

The game is still far from perfect, but from reading about NBA2k10 and NBA Live 10 on the OS Forums, it is pretty obvious that those who bought 2k10 are furious right now.

Live is nothing to brag about.. I mean, they released a fucking patch that doesn't let you go into overtime.

anachronous_one said:

Oh my god how did no one tell me about this :lol :lol :lol

RBH

So I received a copy of NBA 2K10 today and despite all of the reported issues about the game, I was interested in playing it since I haven't owned an NBA game since 2K7 and I've always loved the gameplay in the 2K games.

So I go to put the game in my 360 and for literally 20 seconds, the dashboard says "Reading..." before it finally starts up the game. I get to the title screen.....and then it freezes and a "This disc is unreadable" message pops up. This is a brand new disc with no scratches or marks or anything on the disc itself. I think "Ok, maybe my disc drive is starting to go bad." I check all of my other 360 games........they work perfectly fine with zero issues. I clear the cache on my 360 and attempt to play 2K10 again....."This disc is unreadable." I clean the disc with a cloth and put in 2K10 again......."This disc is unreadable." I then try another friend's copy of 2K10 on my 360......"This disc is unreadable." And what's even funnier is that when I tried to play 2K9 last year, I had the EXACT same issues.

I'd just about had it, so I then said fuck it, went straight to Best Buy in the evening, managed to get the last copy of NBA Live 10 for $34.99, made plans to sell off 2K10, and then proceeded to enjoy playing Live 10 throughout the night.

So yeah, I'm with Smokey and the others in saying fuck 2K Sports for making this janky piece of shit.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Ultimatum said:
I've never actually owned a basketball game. Anything important I should know? Should I just go with NBA Live 10?
Live isn't as buggy as 2k, but even then it still has more than its fair share of problems. Honestly, I'd either skip this year, or wait and see if 2k10 can actually be fixed.

I am trying to find the quote, but I find it funny that the NBA 2k10 developers bashed the Live 10 developers about Live 10 having so many fixes in their first patch for Live 10. They said Live 10 shipped in a buggy state and they were working on the fixes for the patch before the game even shipped.

Now look at 2k10. Even after their patch, the game is a glitchy and buggy mess. I am sorry, but it is pretty obvious losing your lead developer on NBA 2k10 WAS A HUGE DEAL. Everyone said it wouldn't be, but the quality control on NBA 2k10 is worse than it has ever been.

Fatalah

benjipwns said:
I don't think Mike Wang was the lead developer. At least not according to the credits.

I thought Mike Wang moved to EASports, which is why Live showed much improvement this year...

kcxiv

Gully State said:
Rented Madden 10 and I thought that it's probably one of the best iterations of Madden in years. Made me actually think twice about breaking my Madden boycott.
Madden was and is just as buggy as NBA2K10 is. 2K10 has its issues, but so did Madden. That game is fundamentally broke in just about every freaking phase.

Just because Madden is better then 09 doesn't mean its even good. Cant wait for the day a company makes another sim football game. Its probably not going to happen for a while though as making a generic football game is a huge financial risk these days.

Also, from what i have been told Mike Wang was just an idea kind of guy. He wasnt a lead developer, he wasnt a coder. Thats been Rob Jones for years. NBA and CH series i believe.

I have a question with the 2K10 PC version. I've noticed that while benchmarking, the benchmarking frame count is completely lower than the frame count given by FRAPS. Anyone have any ideas which one is more accurate? How reliably is FRAPS as a framerate counter in general?

Blackzarak21

Neo Member
Thanks to this thread and weighing the two different games, I ended up getting NBA Live 10 and it's awesome. I've only noticed a few odd glitches but despite them I think it's a great game.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
If anyone is getting Live, the 360 patch just came out today. It is supposed to fix many balance issues the game had before. I will try it out today.

benjipwns

Banned
Gully State said:
I have a question with the 2K10 PC version. I've noticed that while benchmarking, the benchmarking frame count is completely lower than the frame count given by FRAPS. Anyone have any ideas which one is more accurate? How reliably is FRAPS as a framerate counter in general?
Pretty sure the benchmark is lower than actual in game frame-rate. It stuttered and jerked for me when it never does that in an actual game. Also heard guys with two GTX 280's getting 40 fps in the benchmark, etc.

I wouldn't know how it compares to playing the game online considering it still crashes whenever I try to load the lobby.

Smokey

The Stealth Fox said:
I don't understand why any of you guys will jump on board to the Live bandwagon. The game is legitimately good.

It's HUGE improvement over past versions...but most of us playe(ed) 2K for the leagues which have ALWAYS been >>>>> than EA's offering.

Live 11 however, may be when the tide finally turns.

Afrikan

well, hopefully Sony's Basketball game is drastically improved after they skipped this year.....the devs have always felt they were behind a year compared to the competition.....if they are some how able to improve the game to the level of their MLB series that would be wonderful.

so hopefully with 2k responding to all these known complaints about NBA2k10 and the steady improvement of NBA Live.... we might actually have 3 really good basketball games to choose from next year.

or not.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
I want to buy this game...for some reason... I have been reading this thread and they say a new patch in January... is anyone still playing this?? anyone? I saw Charsace on line playing the other night...

Malleymal said:
I want to buy this game...for some reason... I have been reading this thread and they say a new patch in January... is anyone still playing this?? anyone? I saw Charsace on line playing the other night...

That should give you a hint man :D

(this game sucks)

Zizbuka

Banned
Ain't reading that wall of text.

So you bought a game without first reading reviews, and you want to blame someone else? GameStop loves your kind and you deserve each other.

Jube3

Zizbuka said:

So you bought a game without first reading reviews, and you want to blame someone else? GameStop loves your kind and you deserve each other.

It didn't review poorly, its on metacritic at 83.

IGN's Summary
"With solid, fast paced gameplay and an excellent presentation that's easily the best the series has ever had, NBA 2K10 continues its strong pedigree of great basketball."

Zizbuka said:

All of the reviews have been very positive. It has above 84 on metacritic.

HoTHiTTeR

Malleymal said:

Umm, this game is fantastic now w/ the last patch release that came weeks ago. The game plays, reacts, feels like an NBA game should. If you're really feeling like you can't take the jump into purchasing, rent it and let it patch; you'll see that it's the better game.

Zizbuka said:

So you made a stupid post without reading the OP, and you want to try to insult someone else.

Lkr

I'm enjoying the game offline with my brother and friends, despite issues(Gortat making 3s? Come on. LeBron doesn't miss. Ever). However, my biggest complaint is the game freezes if we have two accounts signed in. Jeez, some of us would like to play competitively offline! I can't comment on the online functionality, because I suck too much at 2k anyway.

charsace

HoTHiTTeR said:
Umm, this game is fantastic now w/ the last patch release that came weeks ago. The game plays, reacts, feels like an NBA game should. If you're really feeling like you can't take the jump into purchasing, rent it and let it patch; you'll see that it's the better game.
Please don't lie. Every mode is glitched. You can't even use draft combine to create and import a my player because it will cause duplicate players. I bought the combine because 2k said it would add to the my player experience. In the end I paid $10 for a beta because the 4 players I tried to make and import all got duplicated once the regular season started., Association is still glitchy and the online league is still fucked. Gameplay is still good, but the game isn't worth the $45 I paid for it. A glitchy mess is what this game is. I tried to get a refund for the combine, but of course I couldn't.

Next year I buy live because there is no excuse for this. It's like the 9th basketball game 2k sports has released for the system. Next year they shouldn't add anything new if they use the same old engine that has been around since 2k1. They should work on getting this game working properly and tweak the shit out of things.

Top Bottom