• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA Men's College Basketball 2012-2013 Season |OT|

TheNatural

My Member!
Not all that often. They won't but you never know. I see no real reason to ever play in it to be honest, you're risking injury for no real reason outside of experience.

And the experience is going straight to the pros.

You could make some free money, I think that's why UK will accept. 3 home dates and a lot of fans who don't have season tickets can get in on the cheap. At least that's how it went for us in 2006.

LegoDad

But how good are those 24 teams is what he is saying. For instance if you beat Florida and 24 div 2 teams do you deserve a high seed?

Ah, but we didn't lose to any bad RPI teams unlike alot in the Top 10...

KU lost to a RPI of over 200...

Michigan lost to a RPI of 186...

Miami lost to a RPI of 168 and 116..

Georgetown to a RPI of 133...

Not K-state's fault the Big 12 has 2 RPI 200 teams in Texas Tech and TCU which brings them down.

lush

You could make some free money, I think that's why UK will accept. 3 home dates and a lot of fans who don't have season tickets can get in on the cheap. At least that's how it went for us in 2006.
Yeah, didn't think about the money aspect. I guess that's why teams rarely decline.

Crisco

Banned
It must really suck to be a fan of one of the shitty boreball teams. Not only do you lose, but all your games are like watching this Wisconsin game tonight.

Frigging Wahoos.

Let the record show.

NC State beats Duke. Loses 2 of their next 3. (Then beats UNC and loses the next 3.)
Maryland beats Duke. Loses 2 of their next 3 and 3 of 5.
Virginia beats Duke. Loses their next 2. Game 3? Maryland.

Lesson to be learned: Don't beat Duke, you'll have nothing left in the tank, unless you're Miami.

(Who has now lost 3 of 4, but well after that victory.)

jakncoke

Banned
Pittsburgh had 2 300+ RPI wins :me, Our OOC was rather weak this year(even by our standards). Michigan loss and Detroit win was the only teams in the top 100

So you guys do realize that Lunardi doesn't actually predict anything. He talks to members to of the NCAA selection committee and just reports what they tell him. That's why his "predictions" are so accurate.

But his predictions aren't that accurate. We know the methodology and all but a few spots are either automatic bids or easy decisions and he stills ends up missing a few here and there. As for placement, that's all based on geographical and conference rules and most of those decisions aren't judgement calls.

I suppose Lunardi could be getting info from the committee, but other people have bested him at predicting the actual brackets using simple logic.

Crisco

Banned
Frigging Wahoos.

Let the record show.

NC State beats Duke. Loses 2 of their next 3. (Then beats UNC and loses the next 3.)
Maryland beats Duke. Loses 2 of their next 3 and 3 of 5.
Virginia beats Duke. Loses their next 2. Game 3? Maryland.

Lesson to be learned: Don't beat Duke, you'll have nothing left in the tank, unless you're Miami.

(Who has now lost 3 of 4, but well after that victory.)

I mean, Maryland and UVA are pretty shitty teams, they've been losing all season. NC State has also been inconsistent as hell. All this tells me is that shitty teams get up for games against Duke.

Teams get up for Duke, but that's not the full picture. UVA beat Duke to get to 10-5 in the league. That's pretty darn good. Now they're sitting at 10-7 and needing this win against Maryland to have a shot at the tournament.

Maryland beat Duke, it only got them to 6-6, but they were sitting at 18-7 overall. They could have built from that. Instead, now they're sitting at 8-9 and have no chance of making the tournament. All they can do is be a spoiler.

NC State... the Duke win got them to #14 in America. Then they slid to being on the bubble themselves. Fortunately, they've recovered and appear to solidly be in the field.

Crisco

Banned
You could literally say the same thing about NC State. UMD beat us and lost their next 3/4. UVA beat us and then lost their next game @GT, who had only won 1 conference game at that point. Wake beat us and then lost their next 4. And yes, UVA is a bad team. I don't care what Kenpom says.

alstein

I mean, Maryland and UVA are pretty shitty teams, they've been losing all season. NC State has also been inconsistent as hell. All this tells me is that shitty teams get up for games against Duke.

Also State had Brown injured during some of those games, and they are thin as hell. (the Brown injury helped long-term, State will be a better tourney since it forced Gott to play Tyler Lewis and he's been a decent player when he got PT) The NCAA takes injuries into account for losses if the player is healthy, this is why I think Duke will end up getting a 1, and State will end up a 7 (assuming they win their last game and don't embarass themselves against UVA on Friday)

Well, I think it's quite sad when teams get up for Duke. Win. Good for them. Fans storm the court, players stay out and celebrate like they just won a championship, have no pride since they've been in the league for 60 years and ought to act like they belong on the floor with Duke and it should be no surprise to actually win a game, and then go out flat and lose their next game. Time and time again.

I don't think Syracuse fans will storm the court when they beat Duke. I don't think it will happen in Louisville. Better not happen in Pittsburgh. Notre Dame? Same thing. Hopefully, none of these teams surprise me, in this regard.

TheNatural

My Member!
Well, I think it's quite sad when teams get up for Duke. Win. Good for them. Fans storm the court, players stay out and celebrate like they just won a championship, have no pride since they've been in the league for 60 years and ought to act like they belong on the floor with Duke and it should be no surprise to actually win a game, and then go out flat and lose their next game. Time and time again.

I don't think Syracuse fans will storm the court when they beat Duke. I don't think it will happen in Louisville. Better not happen in Pittsburgh. Notre Dame? Same thing. Hopefully, none of these teams surprise me, in this regard.

No, no one will storm the court from the Big East. I think the difference is no one in the ACC outside of Duke and North Carolina are consistently good.

Outside of Duke and UNC who's made the Final Four for the ACC recently? Georgia Tech about 9 years ago, and Maryland had their run in the early 00's.

Big East teams over the years, you have a lot of good consistent programs, with a different one constantly making it. Us last year, UCONN, WVU made it, Nova, GTown, Cuse, Marquette.

I feel like the ACC is always Duke and UNC, and then a couple others come out of nowhere each year (ahem, Miami), then disappear like a fart in the night for a decade and someone else gets good.

So it's always a big deal, because most of the teams who beat UNC or Duke in the ACC are most likely dog shit in recent years of doing it.

Fjordson

Wonder if there's a chance UK declines NIT bid if it gets to that point. They just really look like a team that's ready for the season to be over.
I hope not. This year's team should go there and at least play for pride. They're not above the NIT. Can't disagree with them looking ready to be done, though.

At least UK would be a big draw for the home games (UK is number one or two in attendance again year even with a mediocre team). A bit lower probably considering the circumstances, but still decent.

I think we forget how hard it is to win on the road in college basketball. Home court advantage (usually through the energy of the crowd affecting the teams and influencing the refs) can do crazy things to an ok team with a few hotshot guards. That's why Duke/UNC always drop a few games to ok ACC teams that then fade early in the tournament (same could be said of the SEC except it's even more top-heavy most years).

Traditional powers manage to draw those crowds out more than a team that just showed up in the top ten for the first time in years, so even in crap years like Kentucky is having now we get crowds who smell blood in the water.

Fjordson

Thinking back on this year's UK team, I think Calipari not signing a top PG recruit really killed us. With a young team of freshmen, you really need a point that can run the offense (and score if needed). We've had the top freshmen PG in the country for the past three years and all three played great when needed (especially Knight and Teague).

Harrow just didn't cut it this year. He's shown some potential to be sure, but he's not that tough and really wilts under strong on-ball pressure. Thank god Calipari got the Harrison twins for next year (and will probably get Tyus Jones or Emmanuel Mudiay for 2014).

I remember someone in this topic warning me at the beginning of the season that Harrow wasn't that good :lol should have listened!

Seth C

I hope not. This year's team should go there and at least play for pride. They're not above the NIT. Can't disagree with them looking ready to be done, though.

At least UK would be a big draw for the home games (UK is number one or two in attendance again year even with a mediocre team). A bit lower probably considering the circumstances, but still decent.

This UK team, play for ride? Please share whatever you're smoking. They haven't cared about such things in 30 games. Why would that suddenly change?

As for point guards, I'm not sure there were any great ones in this class, which is why he went for Harrow instead (and could get him in the system for a year of practice in addition). Didn't pay off. Didn't help that Archie has been completely unable to adjust to the college game and Poythress is incredibly lazy. I wouldn't care so much, they are freshman, not all of them are ready to play immediately. But they won't be at UK taking the time to learn to play, and that bothers me. If you're great, if you perform your first year -- awesome, you're ready to make the move up. These guys aren't, but they will go anyway. That's a problem and not one that can be solved so long as NBA GMs are wiing to draft players in the first round that have almost zero shot of ever getting a second contract.

Then you've got our backup center, who was supposed to be a project and stay a few years, now projected as a lotto pick. Are you kidding me? Would anyone in their right mind honestly say he is one of the top 10 centers in college basketball? No. Yet he is projected as high as 10th in the entire draft, across all positions? Boggles the mind. Though, when Daniel Orton can average 3 points and 3 rebounds and still make the first round we have no chance of keeping players. In 2 seasons in the league he has scored 61 total points, less than half of his career total at Kentucky. Definitely worth the $2 mill he's made. For those keeping track at home, that's $32,000 per point scored.

Fjordson

Yeah, it is really crazy how high up in the draft people rise. Willie Cauley was ranked like 42 in the class and as you said a "project" and now he's a top 10 pick :lol

Seth C

Yeah, it is really crazy how high up in the draft people rise. Willie Cauley was ranked like 42 in the class and as you said a "project" and now he's a top 10 pick :lol

Which might make sense, if he was leading the league in...anything. But he's 367th in rebounds per game, 47th in blocks per game, and not even in the top 500 in points per game. On a team that has no other legit option at center anymore. Soooo yeah.

We've had the top freshmen PG in the country for the past three years and all three played great when needed (especially Knight and Teague).

John Wall was much more consistent than either of those two as well as saving our asses a few times (Stanford, Miami Ohio), but I agree that if you put either of those three on this team and things would have improved.

Teague benefited from being on a team that had lots of options and the autolob. If Harrow were last year's point guard we'd probably have slightly nicer things to say about him. With all the scuttlebutt that he's off the team after this year I wonder what his real story off the court is, though.

Fjordson

Wall was certainly the most talented, I just remember how big Knight and Teague were in the tourney. Teague in particular really came on strong towards the end of the year. I still remember that three he hit in the second half of the title game. Kansas was making a big run and our offense had grinded to a halt on multiple possessions, but then Teague hit a three from the top of the key and that was pretty much the game.

But that is a good point. Having last year's team is probably much easier on a PG than this year's team.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Nice... got tickets in a suite for the Big Ten Tournament next week. Should be fun :)

I'd consider going if it were still in Indy but I have no desire to go to Chicago even though its a little bit closer.

It would be cool to finally take a piss on the statue of that overrated cocksucker outside the United Center.

thefro

I'd consider going if it were still in Indy but I have no desire to go to Chicago even though its a little bit closer.

It would be cool to finally take a piss on the statue of that overrated cocksucker outside the United Center.

I wouldn't have went but 1) it's in a suite, and 2) St. Patrick's Day weekend is fun in Chicago.

I've been to the Big Ten Tourney in both Chicago & Indianapolis (2x-3x) before.

chris121580

I'm pretty sure I've never seen Wisconsin play as poorly as they did last night. They missed so many open shots which is rare for them and not to mention the turnovers. Just unreal. I really hope we can get a W at Michigan Sunday. I'm so pumped up for that game. IU needs to get it going and right now.

DominoKid

Honestly the first time I saw him, i thought something like "wow if he can catch a ball and walk upright w/o his knees blowing up, i'd draft him." He was probably the most interesting think about the UK reality show.

Bowser

Sounds like Paige will be Wiggins player host for his OV. The guy's 3 for 3 with recruits so far (Meeks, Berry, Jackson), though to be fair, all were considered Carolina leans. Wiggins isn't.

TheNatural

My Member!
This UK team, play for ride? Please share whatever you're smoking. They haven't cared about such things in 30 games. Why would that suddenly change?

As for point guards, I'm not sure there were any great ones in this class, which is why he went for Harrow instead (and could get him in the system for a year of practice in addition). Didn't pay off. Didn't help that Archie has been completely unable to adjust to the college game and Poythress is incredibly lazy. I wouldn't care so much, they are freshman, not all of them are ready to play immediately. But they won't be at UK taking the time to learn to play, and that bothers me. If you're great, if you perform your first year -- awesome, you're ready to make the move up. These guys aren't, but they will go anyway. That's a problem and not one that can be solved so long as NBA GMs are wiing to draft players in the first round that have almost zero shot of ever getting a second contract.

Then you've got our backup center, who was supposed to be a project and stay a few years, now projected as a lotto pick. Are you kidding me? Would anyone in their right mind honestly say he is one of the top 10 centers in college basketball? No. Yet he is projected as high as 10th in the entire draft, across all positions? Boggles the mind. Though, when Daniel Orton can average 3 points and 3 rebounds and still make the first round we have no chance of keeping players. In 2 seasons in the league he has scored 61 total points, less than half of his career total at Kentucky. Definitely worth the $2 mill he's made. For those keeping track at home, that's $32,000 per point scored.

This is what you get with Calipari though. You can't have one without the other. When you have 3 top notch players or so, the 4th, 5th, and 6th guys are going to get way more credit because they're the ones getting garbage points or open shots because everyone is focusing on the other guys.

And when you've basically injected it into the DNA of any player ever to play there, that they will go pro, no one is going to stay.

This is what you guys wanted right? Having a title, contender, at all costs. So you can't have your cake and eat it too when anyone with a pulse will leave ASAP and you have 40 alumni in 4 years.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Aren't you supposed to graduate to be considered an alumnus?

I'm surprised, and happy, that no one mentions UNM big man Alex Kirk going to the draft. He's 7', 250. Can hit from outside, skilled inside and is a double double machine. He also has two more years of eligibility. :)

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Teams get up for Duke, but that's not the full picture. UVA beat Duke to get to 10-5 in the league. That's pretty darn good. Now they're sitting at 10-7 and needing this win against Maryland to have a shot at the tournament.

Maryland beat Duke, it only got them to 6-6, but they were sitting at 18-7 overall. They could have built from that. Instead, now they're sitting at 8-9 and have no chance of making the tournament. All they can do is be a spoiler.

NC State... the Duke win got them to #14 in America. Then they slid to being on the bubble themselves. Fortunately, they've recovered and appear to solidly be in the field.

Its called Virginia Tech-itis Its why Seth Greenberg no longer coaches

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Sounds like Paige will be Wiggins player host for his OV. The guy's 3 for 3 with recruits so far (Meeks, Berry, Jackson), though to be fair, all were considered Carolina leans. Wiggins isn't.

I've heard he's liking the heels more and more though. You never know. How many of these recruits do you have next year? because that is going to be our most talented class in a long ass time.

Fjordson

Trey Lyles making his fourth unofficial visit to UK on Saturday. He'll make a nice foursome with Tyus Jones, Okafor, and Karl Towns Jr.

or he'll see Florida (also on his list) beat us by 20 and go there instead =[

DominoKid

I've heard he's liking the heels more and more though. You never know. How many of these recruits do you have next year? because that is going to be our most talented class in a long ass time.

based on what i've heard recently, i'd be a little shocked we didnt get Wiggins.
you all know i never put much stock in his recruitment from the start. so for me to feel like this is huge.

TheNatural

My Member!
No major games tonight, but a lot of smaller conference tourneys going on.

Murray State is up on Eastern Kentucky in the Ohio Valley semis. It looks like the free pass for Kentucky teams might be ending though in this conference, because Belmont is waiting in the conference finals and is 25-6. I forgot that they joined the league among all this realignment mess, but they're really damn good and going to make it tough for a Murray or Morehead to get in each year like the norm lately.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Michigan has a solid list of visitors coming in for the Indiana game. Top 25 SG Devin Booker, Top 50 SF Trevon Bluiett, Top 70 SF Vince Edwards, and PF Ricky Doyle who is unranked ATM but his stock is rising fast. Edwards and Doyle should both leave Ann Arbor with official offers. Beilein has just been waiting to get them on campus.

Also have 2015 PG from East Chicago Indiana Hyron Edwards coming in. He was once listed as top 15 by both Rivals and ESPN but is not longer listed in ESPN's top 25 or Rivals Top 50 for whatever reason.

Fjordson

Hope UK plays well against Florida today. At least keep it competitive. We're playing for a high seed in the
NIT
tourney.

thefro

Also have 2015 PG from East Chicago Indiana Hyron Edwards coming in. He was once listed as top 15 by both Rivals and ESPN but is not longer listed in ESPN's top 25 or Rivals Top 50 for whatever reason.

He dropped out because he's 5-10 and basically plays shooting guard at this point for his high school team (and not PG).

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
be7i_bjcaae2tid.jpeg

Love it.

lush

You have WCS on the bench with two fouls. The two or three times you go inside you score at will. Why? Why would you continue to jack threes? Florida always does this.

Top Bottom