• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA Men's College Basketball 2012-2013 Season |OT|

With nothing to play for this season due to the NCAA post-season ban, the team did better than I expected. Third straight 20 win season at the very least.

I expected the team to fold like a deck of cards given everything going on. Now if coach Donnie Jones can just fix those WTF losses, we'll be in better shape.

Off to the A12, or M12, 'Merica 12, etc., etc.

Looked like UCF finally made it when they got invited to the Big East... then boom. Everybody bailed. Now, the basketball teams took the name. Gotta be kind of a bummer.

TheNatural

My Member!
Looked like UCF finally made it when they got invited to the Big East... then boom. Everybody bailed. Now, the basketball teams took the name. Gotta be kind of a bummer.

Memphis, Cincy, Temple, and UCONN is at least worlds better in basketball than current C-USA. And they at least get to have a natural in-state rivalry with USF. Football is a different story, but it's a pretty huge basketball upgrade still.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
If there's any consolation, if you take out the first four minutes, UNC was just -2 compared to Duke.

Plus, there's almost no chance that the entire team as a collective can't hit the broad side of a barn, while Seth Curry makes all the bullshit he throws up again.

There is a talent differential, UNC at their best could not beat DUke at their best this year. Just like we could not beat UNC at their best in 2009, and that Duke team tried. Those were the only two conference games UNC cared about that year.

Duke could possibly play them as their first round opponent.

CURRY AGAINST OLD TEAM, the headlines are writing themselves.

It just better not be fucking Belmont.

thefro

Crean's a moron... Ferrell needs to be in there every minute that Burke is in the game.

Michigan went on a 12-0 run when Ferrell went out

thefro

I was just coming here to point out how much better your offense looks when Yogi is out there.

It's both that and that Yogi's so fast on defense that Burke can't drive around him easily.

Oladipo or Watford can guard Burke too, but that opens up a ton of other mismatches for Michigan if we do that (with Hulls and Ferrell trying to guard wing players).

It's both that and that Yogi's so fast on defense that Burke can't drive around him easily.

Oladipo or Watford can guard Burke too, but that opens up a ton of other mismatches for Michigan if we do that (with Hulls and Ferrell trying to guard wing players).

It's mystifying why Crean still insists on playing the bench so much. Perea should not be playing in a game like this. Remy has done almost nothing offensively in the conference season.

I dont mind Elston and Hollowell playing a little bit.

But he's got to ride Oladipo, Zeller and Yogi more. Top 6 should be playing almost this entire game.

Just as I say that Hollowell blows a dunk.

Yeesh, disjointed play so far from IU. Up 10-3 with the starters in, then Crean goes to the bench and they lose momentum.

Not much has gone right this half outside of drawing some fouls on Michigan. Gotta make a run here before the end of the half.

W1SSY

Crean is using the bench heavy today. Hollowell with a bunch of minutes and Abell playing a lot. Not for sure what his reasoning is.

TheNatural

My Member!
Just checked the updated RPI. Somehow New Mexico is still #2, not that they'll get a 1 seed, but it's just WTF? Missouri Valley and Mountain West conference over the years have found ways to increase conference RPI above reasonble levels. It usually takes teams in the conference playing a large amount of road games OOC.

Crean is using the bench heavy today. Hollowell with a bunch of minutes and Abell playing a lot. Not for sure what his reasoning is.

Don Fischer said before the game that the team was battling the flu....so that could certainly explain the expanded minutes for Perea, Remy and Hollowell.

Still.....unless the guys are exhausted, he's got to stick to the starting 5 plus Sheehey and Elston. Let Sheehey come in for any wing that needs a break, let Elston come in for Zeller or Watford.

Gotta play the guys you can trust this time of year.

As disjointed as IU played that first half, to be down 3 isn't bad. Gotta make the most of this opportunity.

alstein

Just checked the updated RPI. Somehow New Mexico is still #2, not that they'll get a 1 seed, but it's just WTF? Missouri Valley and Mountain West conference over the years have found ways to increase conference RPI above reasonble levels. It usually takes teams in the conference playing a large amount of road games OOC.

It's that + not scheduling teams likely to be sub-200 RPI. Mark Gottfried is a master of it as well.

TheNatural

My Member!
It's that + not scheduling teams likely to be sub-200 RPI. Mark Gottfried is a master of it as well.

Also the conference size always seems to favor smaller size conference in RPI. Only 9 teams are in the MWC, and only 10 in the Missouri Valley. Fresno and Nevada are the only teams in the MWC with losing records. Colorado State, which is second in the league, has a WTF OOC resume and is 15 in the RPI. They lost road games to Colorado and Illinois-Chicago and still played four 200+ RPI teams OOC.

http://www.realtimerpi.com/rpi_306_Men.html

It's all a big WTF to be. The only thing I can figure is 4 true road games and 2 neutral site game mitigates a hell of a lot of things, because you get like 1/5th more credit for road wins than neutral wins, and 1/5th less credit for home wins than neutral wins. When everyone does that in a small league and then plays each other, it adds up to some crazy RPI numbers.

Memphis, Cincy, Temple, and UCONN is at least worlds better in basketball than current C-USA. And they at least get to have a natural in-state rivalry with USF. Football is a different story, but it's a pretty huge basketball upgrade still.

Pretty much. At least until UConn/Cinci get the call.

As for football, definitely a blow. But at least the league is still solidly above CUSA and I think still above the MWC. Outside of Boise and SDSU, it's pretty bare.

W1SSY

How do you foul on the opposite side of the court with the ball not inbounds? Nice flop on Zeller's part but dumb on McGary.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Damn, I forgot this game was on. I don't see how IU keeps a 1 seed if they have another loss. Guess it depends on the tourney.

Top Bottom