• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA Will Not Renew License With EA to use NCAA name [Up: EA still making College FB]

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
This is insane. I can't believe how much revenue everybody is losing out on this. NCAA must be scared shitless of losing the O'Bannon case.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
EDIT: Follow-up to what Stooge said, does the CLC also handle the BCS and coming College Football Playoff? That could be a way to do it.

They handle most of the conferences and most of the bowls. I don't know about the College Football Championship. But they already have to get some of the bowls (and certain games like the Texas/OU game) done seperately. I think the B1G is it's own license as is the Rose Bowl and a couple of the other teams/games. So they can work those the same way they already are.

The NCAA license isn't where they were getting any of the bowls or teams from in any case as the NCAA doesn't own the rights to any of the bowls, playoffs, teams, etc.

The NCAA license basically let them call the game NCAA Football and throw the NCAA logo on things.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Get ready for "Notre Dame Football versus the World!"

These games aren't even on sale in my country because of NCAA rules the last time I was into them, I had to drive over the border to even buy them. It would be cool if 2k could make Football and Basketball games featuring NCAA. The only problem for football is that old 2k5 team must be long gone so without the creative force who was behind that game it wont be the same any longer. That 2K Sports All Pro Football revival was shit wasn't it?

In many ways it played better than 2K5 and never even received a patch. From a gameplay standpoint, the answer to that is no.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
You can try to name it whatever you want, but being unable to use the name "NCAA Football" is a gigantic loss.

Vandiger

You haven't played backbreaker have you? Or you'd know what you suggested is not the best idea, although that game did have some of the coolest looking tackles I've ever seen.

I have but I know a team that has no experience with football other than showcasing the physics engine would not compete with Madden that has been refined for years. A team that has experience with making football games along with this engine would finally evolve the genre into something special.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
You can try to name it whatever you want, but being unable to use the name "NCAA Football" is a gigantic loss.

Eh, call it "Lou Holtz College Football Championship 2015" and it'll do fine.

I'd like for 2K to bring the 2K5 engine back into College Football. Though, I recall their College Football 2k2 and 2k3 being really bad compared to NFL 2k2 and 2k3 and having really poor college football presentation.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search

With EA trying to limit its SKUs so much, I wouldn't be surprised if they eliminated their College Football series just for this reason (or at least skip next year's)

Wow so this means developers will have to separately negotiate with each 200+ college/university’s if they want to use them in their game? Say good bye to good college football games with all the official schools/players.

Its bad enough there's no college hoops game. Now football is gone too unless EA wants to release some budget title with a few schools represented.

Wow so this means video games developers will have to separately negotiate with each 200+ college/university’s if they want to use them in their game? Say good bye to good college football games with all the official schools/players.
Other than Notre Dame they are all under one roof separate from the NCAA so no.

Bsigg12

If they won't sign with EA, they probably won't sign with anyone else which sucks because that would result in no college football games...

The NCAA is just the sports body.

They don't control the teams likeness or stadiums.

The CLC (Collegiate Licensing Company) is in charge of all of the schools licensing agreements.

http://www.clc.com/

Not True, the CLC covers a large majority of the teams but not all. For Instance Ohio State uses a company called IMG for all of its stuff.

They would have to negotiate with a handful of companies.

thefit

If you've been following this story its all stems from players suing EA/NCAA for using likenesses of players and lying about it. This is the fall out from that.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/11/ncaa_knew_ea_sports_video_game.html

BIRMINGHAM, Alabama -- Newly-released e-mails from the Ed O'Bannon lawsuit show the NCAA knew that Electronic Arts Sports made video games intending to match real-life characteristics of actual college athletes.

The NCAA "knowingly tolerated this 'illegal' rigging," lawyers for the plaintiffs wrote in an Aug. 31 motion unsealed today in U.S. District Court in California. The plaintiffs argued the "unlawful scheme" isn't justified by NCAA principles of amateurism or competitive balance, but rather as a way to divert money elsewhere.

A July 2003 internal email shows NCAA Director of Corporate Alliances Peter Davis relaying this response he received on whether EA Sports uses current football players' names in video games: "We don't actually use player names but we do use all the attributes and jersey numbers of the players."

Davis' e-mail went on to raise the point that if Ole Miss quarterback Eli Manning got injured, the video game roster would reflect that change. Davis expressed concern whether using Manning's number and attributes would be too close to his likeness and cause an eligibility issue.

Fifteen former football and men's basketball players are suing the NCAA, EA Sports and Collegiate Licensing Company, saying their names, images and likenesses were used illegally by the NCAA for commercialized products.

Fox Mulder

sounds like an end to NCAA games. I haven't played them in years because EA killed my enthusiasm for sports games, but it sucks. NCAA football games have been around since the 16 bit days.

jjasper

This is all about the lawsuits and rightful criticism of the NCAA. Hopefully the conferences/schools and EA can come to an agreement.

Bsigg12

Well. technically it wouldn't work like that. EA could get licensing agreements from every school to use their likeness/campus/players/coaches. They just cannot say anywhere in the product that this is a NCAA college football game. Also, they could just go through the conferences (SEC, Pac 12, Big 12, etc.) and make agreements with them to be able to use each school, at which point Notre Dame would stick their nose in the air because they think they're too good for a conference.

LegoDad

For the people complaining about College Basketball being gone, it's not because of this. EA didn't make enough money from it.

As for the news. All they do is lose the NCAA brand, and it now opens the chance for other developers to also make the games as the now deal with the CLC. So you never know we may get a new basketball/football game, as 2k5 team could create a college game fairly easy based of the 2k5 engine. I also thought the downfall of College Basketball by EA was coinciding the downfall of NBA Live.

I dont see how some of you are seeing this as a good thing.

They said the schools will have to license their trademarks separately.

Who wants to play a college football game without the powerhouse schools? Imagine if there was no Alabama or Ohio State in the game.

-edit Does that IMG cover everyone? Does anyone have a list of the exclusions? Could Alabama still come in and say they want extra money to be in the game?

Well. technically it wouldn't work like that. EA could get licensing agreements from every school to use their likeness/campus/players/coaches. They just cannot say anywhere in the product that this is a NCAA college football game. Also, they could just go through the conferences (SEC, Pac 12, Big 12, etc.) and make agreements with them to be able to use each school, at which point Notre Dame would stick their nose in the air because they think they're too good for a conference.

Good luck getting licensing from every school. In comes second XYZ developer who secures half the schools and EA has the other half. Or it could be split further between, three, or four developers. Maybe SEC goes to EA, Big10 goes to 2K, PAC10 goes to Sega, etc..... Yeah I don't want to play a college football game that does not have all the schools/players.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Lol at 2k fans leaping to conclusions. All this likely means is that the next game will be called BCS '15 or something.

No, what this likely means is that we'll never again see another complete college football game.

I would not be shocked to see a "SEC College Football" or something like that, though.

Orca

Ha! The NCAA is trying to duck lawsuits from former college players, simple as that.

Hopefully this will shake up the NCAA games for the better

Yeah it has nothing to do with EA and NCAA relationships or 2K taking a shot. It's just an attempt to avoid lawsuits. Did people actually read the OP?

Enron

Banned
Just to clear this up - This is for the NCAA name and logo use only. EA has always had to deal with the schools seperately to get their logos/stadiums/information in the game.

Just to clear this up - This is for the NCAA name and logo use only. EA has always had to deal with the schools seperately to get their logos/stadiums/information in the game.

So 2K still wouldn't be able to make a College Football 2K-, correct?

Disappointing if that's the case.

slabrock

Banned
Back in the Genesis days there was unlicensed college football. Notre Dame was called "South Bend." Of course you couldn't see helmet logos and people didn't expect all 12 uniform variants for 120+ teams.

O'Bannon will get death threats.
There was one on a nintendo platform, want to say SNES that had a few soundalike teams. Pursue instead of Purdue, Moldy Moss instead of Holy Cross, etc.

chronomac

A few things to note:

• Each university could, on their own accord, come to an agreement with EA to have their teams in the next game. So there's a decent chance the next game will be called something different but feel and look very simila
  • The biggest difference, if the above takes place, is that you won't see the NCAA logo anywhere. It'll be called College Football 15 or something like that.
  • I assume this would open the door for 2K or any other competitor to come in, since they could also get an agreement from the individual colleges on their own. Nothing is stopping them now, except trying to meet EA's offers to each school. One can imagine two games in the near future, with some teams split on which one they're on, but I doubt it.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to

What exactly do you mean? Honest question. I don't think Notte Dame is the only independent. Right?

I want a Texas High School Football game instead. Friday Night Lights. With a dating sim and RPG elements. Rated M.

Spoiler: the rival qb comes out of nowhere and kills your cheerleader gf half way through.

Not true EA has not had to negotiate with each school seperatly. If so, what are the chnaces that negotiations are sucessfull each and every time with all schools? Not very good!

Makes you wonder why obannons suit is focused on the ncaa and not the individual schools.

Good luck getting licensing from every school. In comes second XYZ developer who secures half the schools and EA has the other half. Or it could be split further between, three, or four developers. Maybe SEC goes to EA, Big10 goes to 2K, PAC10 goes to Sega, etc..... Yeah I don't want to play a college football game that does not have all the schools/players.

The market for a college sports game is small enough as is, why in the hell would a company like Sega or 2k waste money putting their resources into a "Pac12 Football" game? The value of these schools and conferences in terms of video games is in a package deal. They know this. They will likely form some new coalition if they don't have one already to negotiate and broker these deals. As I understand it this is the NCAA just saying they won't do it anymore, not that it is illegal. One thing I could see ending is the days of making "Florida QB #15" who looks and plays just like Tim Tebow.

What exactly do you mean? Honest question. I don't think Notte Dame is the only independent. Right?
Pretty much every school has given the license to IMG/CLC so that company is responsible for negotiations. Notre Dame believe just does their own since they like being independent of everything and make more money that way.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
Not true EA has not had to negotiate with each school seperatly. If so, what are the chnaces that negotiations are sucessfull each and every time with all schools? Not very good!

They haven't had to negotiate with each of them necessarily, but they have had to work with most/all of them to get stuff like stadiums, uniforms, chants and fight songs right, which is what the person you're responding to was saying

^^^ or I could be wrong, maybe they just work with img/clc for all that

Pretty much every school has given the license to IMG/CLC so that company is responsible for negotiations. Notre Dame believe just does their own since they like being independent of everything and make more money that way.

Did not know that. Thanks for the info.

You know I liked Notre Dame when I was little lol? Now they just seem entitled and delusional. They haven't been good since Holtz was there

Top Bottom