• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA Will Not Renew License With EA to use NCAA name [Up: EA still making College FB]

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
So "College Football 15" it is.

Nobody will notice the loss of "NCAA."

LegoDad

How does my post have anything to do with not reading?

I read the OP, I read IGN.com's article on the issue, and part of this article posted. It's wishful thinking on my part but seeing the NCAA cracking on their resolve when it comes to video games is awesome.

Especially since before NHL 11 came out, EA was apparently close to getting NCAA D1 college hockey programs into the game until the NCAA shut it down.

Getting teams like Minnesota, UMD, St Cloud, UND, Boston, Boston U, Michigan, and others would be fantastic.

There isn't licensing individually. It's through the CLC.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
They'll put a new name on it. If I'm lucky, they'll go the Madden route and put a legendary coach on it. Given that Paterno is dead and disgraced, I'm pretty sure Bobby Bowden will be their top pick. If they want a current coach, who knows... none of them seem right for it.

Steve Spurrier would be my pick.

Fits the criteria of generally likable (as in there is no chance in hell its Nick Saban) and extremely well known.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Correct there is a deal with the CLC and it can't be exclusive, which would allow anyone to make a college game (Football, Basketball, Baseball). I also expect the NFL to do something similar soon, but we will see.

I think 2K might get back in the game if they can get NFL and CLC deals in place.

I don't think college is worth it alone, but both could be since you could use the same base engine for both titles.

Owen Goode tweets that EA & the CLC are going to release a joint statement soon.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/owengood/status/357602273926455296[/tweet]

StoOgE

So, when is College Hoops 2K14, NCAA College Football 2K14, MVP College Baseball 14, NCAA March Madness 14 or NCAA Hockey 14 coming out?

Oh...

I could see 2K getting into college basketball, assuming the CLC does not do anything exclusive. EA dumped their NBA franchise entirely for 4 years which is when they dumped their college basketball game.

The college games (especially the non-football games) don't sell that well and are only viable econmically when you can ride the coat-tails of a pro sports game.

Not sure if College Baseball would be worth it at all given that the sport itself isn't really profitable for most programs.

So, when is College Hoops 2K14, NCAA College Football 2K14, MVP College Baseball 14, NCAA March Madness 14 or NCAA Hockey 14 coming out?

Oh...

So are you still taking the stance that there will be no ea college game next year or have you realized how wrong you were yet?

LegoDad

I could see 2K getting into college basketball, assuming the CLC does not do anything exclusive. EA dumped their NBA franchise entirely for 4 years which is when they dumped their college basketball game.

The college games (especially the non-football games) don't sell that well and are only viable econmically when you can ride the coat-tails of a pro sports game.

Not sure if College Baseball would be worth it at all given that the sport itself isn't really profitable for most programs.

With EA not having the NCAA license and CLC exclusivity , I can see College Hoops 2k5 coming back, and maybe maybe a baseball game if 2k even does a MLB one next year.

But yes it's only viable if you already have an engine created where all that is needed is to recreate the college stadiums, which even then just get the court right, and most wouldn't care if the basketball stadium was 1:1.

Steve Spurrier would be my pick.

Fits the criteria of generally likable (as in there is no chance in hell its Nick Saban) and extremely well known.

I'd say "ESPN College Football 15" or "ESPN College Football 16" (They could skip the first full year of NextGen).

They still have the ESPN brand and it is more widely recognizable than any individual coach or player.

linkboy

Correct there is a deal with the CLC and it can't be exclusive, which would allow anyone to make a college game (Football, Basketball, Baseball). I also expect the NFL to do something similar soon, but we will see.

Don't count on it, the NFL wants exclusive contracts for it's brand. They're the ones who put their license up for bid.

Would I love for it to happen, yes, do I expect it to, not in a million years.

LegoDad

Don't count on it, the NFL wants exclusive contracts for it's brand. They're the ones who put their license up for bid.

Would I love for it to happen, yes, do I expect it to, not in a million years.

They could make so much more money by allowing multiple games, but they do love their exclusive contracts.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
http://www.ea.com/news/update-on-ea-sports-and-college-football

Statement from EA:

By now, most fans will have heard that EA's licensing agreement with the NCAA is set to expire and that we have agreed to part ways. I'm sure gamers are wondering what this means.

This is simple: EA SPORTS will continue to develop and publish college football games, but we will no longer include the NCAA names and marks. Our relationship with the Collegiate Licensing Company is strong and we are already working on a new game for next generation consoles which will launch next year and feature the college teams, leagues and all the innovation fans expect from EA SPORTS.

We took big creative strides with this year's college game and you’ll see much more in the future. We love college football and look forward to making more games for our fans.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
It's funny, for about 3 hours, the CLC became a "knowable organization." Once this gets cleared up, back to "Invisible benefactor" status it goes.

Bgamer90

Banned
Very surprised at the next gen news (college football game coming at the start of next gen). Totally shut down my previous post (haha)... will be interesting to see how it does in sales. Don't think it will do that well.

LegoDad

It's funny, for about 3 hours, the CLC became a "knowable organization." Once this gets cleared up, back to "Invisible benefactor" status it goes.

people still don't understand who they are. lol

Very surprised at the next gen news (college football game coming at the start of next gen). Totally shut down my previous post (haha)... will be interesting to see how it does in sales. Don't think it will do that well.

Why would sales change from what they are now? College football has only been gaining popularity in the last few years.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
people still don't understand who they are. lol

Why would sales change from what they are now? College football has only been gaining popularity in the last few years.

Impossible, all I've heard (from Texas, ND, LSU, and Auburn fans), is that Alabama's Dominance is killing the sport, and soon, everyone will quit playing the game, altogether!

Bgamer90

Banned

Current gen NCAA Football sales have been decreasing.

Add that in with next gen userbase being small and I can't see it doing that well. We'll see though.

LegoDad

Impossible, all I've heard (from Texas, ND, LSU, and Auburn fans), is that Alabama's Dominance is killing the sport, and soon, everyone will quit playing the game, altogether!

Lol, And yet it brings the storyline of who can destroy the SEC. Everyone knows they are over rated. Everyone is just waiting for the college football playoff.

Because the game quality became worse. I can see 14 being the best selling.

With the new playoff system, they could probably do a playoff mode like other sports games do. That could prove to be pretty popular especially if its customizable for online play.

The new football playoff system is not officially sanctioned by the NCAA unlike the NCAA basketball tournament. So this will have zero impact on the implementation of it.

Dead Man

No, the entire NCAA business model of exploiting its student-athletes is under attacked. The NCAA knows its in trouble and is doing whatever it can to prove it's really a 'non-profit'. Which is one of the biggest jokes you can tell.

Good to hear.

Purexed

Banned
Who owns the bowl game trademarks? NCAA or CLC? Will we have to look forward to the Dandelion Bowl instead of the Rose Bowl?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
owengood
Insider tells me EA Sports only carried the NCAA license on football to get NCAA marks for basketball—Final Four, March Madness, etc. With college basketball no longer in the picture at EA Sports (canceled in 2010), NCAA licensing for football became meaningless

Makes sense. Also probably means there won't be a college basketball game next gen which is a shame. EA should have stuck with that rather than get their asses handed to them by 2K.

StoOgE

Who owns the bowl game trademarks? NCAA or CLC? Will we have to look forward to the Dandelion Bowl instead of the Rose Bowl?

The CLC doesn't "own" any trademarks. The schools and bowls do.

The Schools and Bowls like to make money licensing their product, but that its necessary for certain licensors to have a one stop shop for picking up college licenses, so they let the CLC negotiate on their behalf for certain rights.

To answer your question, some of the bowls are with the CLC, some are not.

EA has had a deal in place with the CLC for a long time, and has been negotiating directly for rights to non IMG/CLC members.

http://www.clc.com/Clients.aspx

StoOgE

afraid not... unless a publisher can get every school to sign a deal. You will be missing teams in one devs game and missing other in another.

No, you won't.

EA is already contracting for all of the teams, the NCAA had zero (zilch) to do with EA getting to use the teams names. The NCAA doesn't own the schools trademarks.

daffy

Banned

Add that in with next gen userbase being small and I can't see it doing that well. We'll see though.
Not sure how either one of those things would make EA not do a next gen college football release

Game sales are down overall, if you look at the actual numbers NCAA continues to top charts and do well above average. Digital sales are increasing as well. Alot of gamers are buying content digitally. There are high years and low years.

Next gen consoles are going to be bought. A FIFA or College Football game on them would only help people that are looking for that as a next gen experience. I don't think EA cares that users aren't as strong as current gen but lets face facts, more than a few people stop buying from the old once the new generation starts and they have their new consoles. Ea is building a player base.

Kifimbo

If they already started working on a next-gen version, it makes sense to at least try to release the game without the NCAA brand.

They will probably use someone's name like they're doing with John Madden. Not long ago, EA Sports Paterno College Football would have been an obvious choice.

Papytendo

I'd say "ESPN College Football 15" or "ESPN College Football 16" (They could skip the first full year of NextGen).

They still have the ESPN brand and it is more widely recognizable than any individual coach or player.
I was going to suggest something like this, but to me ESPN College Gameday 15 sounds even better as a title.

linkboy

Yeah because APF2k was so damn good........

2k8 only exists to shut people up (and even then it's not that bad of a football game, it's got some good things going for it, but you can tell that they just ported 2k5 over, changed the teams and names and threw in a bunch of retired players).

LegoDad

Are they allowed to just use 14 as a platform and keep updating it now?

Also make a NCAA for x1/ps4 now before June so we have next gen NCAA EA!

Read the updates, the NCAA was just the name. College Football is still around.

If they already started working on a next-gen version, it makes sense to at least try to release the game without the NCAA brand.

They will probably use someone's name like they're doing with John Madden. Not long ago, EA Sports Paterno College Football would have been an obvious choice.

They shouldn't use anyone's name, everyone knows College Football.

Agree with you also, everyone knows the College Gameday logo if you follow any college football.

I was going to suggest something like this, but to me ESPN College Gameday 15 sounds even better as a title.

College Gameday is a horrible title and takes away from the game. They stated they are going with College Football 2015, but I could see them going to ESPN College Football 2015. The only bad part about using the ESPN name is people will think it's a different game because of no NCAA and if they ever lose the ESPN license, well someone else can take their name, and alot of people wouldn't know the difference. There best bet is to just stick with College Football 2015.

GCQuinton

EA changed March Madness's name to NCAA Basketball back in '09 because they wanted to focus on the actual sport and not just a certain period of the season.

If that same logic carries over to this, they're not calling it College Gameday. ESPN College Football works for me.

EA changed March Madness's name to NCAA Basketball back in '09 because they wanted to focus on the actual sport and not just a certain period of the season.

If that same logic carries over to this, they're not calling it College Gameday. ESPN College Football works for me.

How is that the same logic? College Gameday is not a "certain period of the season", it's the name of popular show that covers College Football all year round.

GCQuinton

How is that the same logic? College Gameday is not a "certain period of the season", it's the name of popular show that covers College Football all year round.

Most notably (and recognizably) during the regular season, which is only a part of the overall college football year. It doesn't cover the recruiting, preseason, and bowls.

Just calling it "College Football" is an easy catch all.

Most notably (and recognizably) during the regular season, which is only a part of the overall college football year.

Yeah but it's synonymous with College Football for a lot of fans. Like calling a pro game "Monday Night Football". It's great brand recognition, but there is always the chance that EA just doesn't want to pay it and a simple College Football 15 makes sense.

jWILL253

Banned
http://www.ea.com/news/update-on-ea-sports-and-college-football

Statement from EA:

By now, most fans will have heard that EA's licensing agreement with the NCAA is set to expire and that we have agreed to part ways. I'm sure gamers are wondering what this means.

This is simple: EA SPORTS will continue to develop and publish college football games, but we will no longer include the NCAA names and marks. Our relationship with the Collegiate Licensing Company is strong and we are already working on a new game for next generation consoles which will launch next year and feature the college teams, leagues and all the innovation fans expect from EA SPORTS.

We took big creative strides with this year's college game and you’ll see much more in the future. We love college football and look forward to making more games for our fans.

Okay, then. I would've thought they would bury the genre. I'm very glad to be wrong.

Still, I think college sports simulations are a dying breed. I hope EA can make it work on next-gen systems, no matter what licensing they use...

Pociask

Am I too late to join the Future Title Name speculation? Caught the thread earlier, but couldn't post from my phone. Anyway, here goes:

Tim Tebow Presents ESPN College Football: Notre Dame vs. SEC SEC SEC!!!

Top Bottom