• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA Will Not Renew License With EA to use NCAA name [Up: EA still making College FB]

Enron

Banned
Not true EA has not had to negotiate with each school seperatly. If so, what are the chnaces that negotiations are sucessfull each and every time with all schools? Not very good!

Most of the game's imagery is licensed through the Collegiate Licensing Company, an altogether separate entity that handles the licensing business for more than 200 colleges and universities, plus athletic conferences and bowl games.

They deal with one entity that represents the schools, it looks like. But each school has their own terms - it's not like EA gets all schools in one fell swoop.

Jonboy

Someone read my post and stop jumping to conclusions. This is just the NCAA buttoning down the hatches.

Until the CLC says they aren't going to deal with EA there is still a game.

http://www.clc.com/

EA doesn't have to go to each school on their own. Look at the list of CLC clients: it will be fine. There might be a few outlires, but EA is getting their teams likenesses from the CLC.

http://www.clc.com/Clients.aspx
But would this open the door for another company to go a college football game?

They deal with one entity that represents the schools, it looks like. But each school has their own terms - it's not like EA gets all schools in one fell swoop.

That entity is the NCAA and EA does get them in one scoop in their deal with the NCAA.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Not true EA has not had to negotiate with each school seperatly. If so, what are the chnaces that negotiations are sucessfull each and every time with all schools? Not very good!

EA has a deal with the CLC in place already.

Go look at the NCAA 2014 website, scroll to the bottom. It's all right there.

The NCAA does not own the rights to Universities stadiums, coaches, uniforms, etc. The schools all own those individually and most of them work with IMG/CLC to handle their product licensing.

impirius

It's probably a very interesting day at CLC and IMG.

Teams will probably be filled with generic players by default and depend on downloadable roster files from OperationSports, etc. from here on out. Not sure how that will affect online play.

]EA has a deal with the CLC in place already.[/B]

The NCAA does not own the rights to Universities stadiums, coaches, uniforms, etc. The schools all own those individually and most of them work with IMG/CLC to handle their product licensing.

But is it exclusive like the NCAA name was to EA? That's my question. Can 2K(assuming they would even bother)make a College Football 2K game?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
The smart company will run out right now and license the SEC.

StoOgE

But is it exclusive like the NCAA name was to EA? That's my question. Can 2K(assuming they would even bother)make a College Football 2K game?

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/96229/Electronic_Arts_Signs_Exclusive_Deal_With_NCAA.php

Way back in '05 they announced an exclusive deal with the NCAA and CLC.

So unless the CLC drops exclucivity no one will be making a college football game.

The CLC is where EA has been getting these rights for the last 9 years, not the NCAA. So unless something changes there don't expect to see much in the way of change other than a new name on the box.

The smart company will run out right now and license the SEC.

Can't wait for the new and improved recruiting system. Offering a hooker is max risk but highest result if it pays off...at least until the release of an expansion adding Miami gives an abortion option.

But would this open the door for another company to go a college football game?

You are assuming that other companies aside from EA would see value in producing a college football video game. It's not exactly a powerhouse genre. It makes sense for EA because they already have the Madden engine and the in house resources on a yearly basis. With publishers tightening up their spending it would probably be too risky of an endeavor. I mean, everyone mentions 2k but didn't they voluntarily discontinue their college hoops games? Aren't they trying to get out of the Baseball business because its just not worth the investment required?

OMFG

FIRST STEP

COME ON

PLEASE LET THE NFL BE NEXT

The NFL isn't going to get sued by former players because they were represented in a game because the NFLPA signs off on the game. This goes for any pro league.

So there's not a chance Madden, NBA 2k or Live, NHL, or MLB games will be affected by this.

EDIT: Also, 2k tried making a College Football game once and it was awful. They tried to use their NFL 2k presentation in a college game and that just doesn't work. They didn't even have a rankings system, IIRC.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Could make 2014 a must buy. Last call before they shut out the lights.

If this helps force the NCAA to give up the amateur status, and allows for stipends or full price scholarships to players, I'm ok with that.

StoOgE

Could a mod put a link to the CLC info in the OP and clarify that the CLC deal is where EA gets the rights to the teams, stadiums, etc from?

This thread is 90% people popping in exclaiming the end of the franchise or the return of 2k5 when this news has zero to do with that.

Jonboy

You are assuming that other companies aside from EA would see value in producing a college football video game. It's not exactly a powerhouse genre. It makes sense for EA because they already have the Madden engine and the in house resources on a yearly basis. With publishers tightening up their spending it would probably be too risky of an endeavor. I mean, everyone mentions 2k but didn't they voluntarily discontinue their college hoops games? Aren't they trying to get out of the Baseball business because its just not worth the investment required?
I wasn't assuming anything. I'm legitimately trying to figure out what this means exactly.

LilZippa

Could a mod put a link to the CLC info in the OP and clarify that the CLC deal is where EA gets the rights to the teams, stadiums, etc from?

This thread is 90% people popping in exclaiming the end of the franchise or the return of 2k5 when this news has zero to do with that.

Still I'm sure they couldn't name it the same after losing this license

The NFL isn't going to get sued by former players because they were represented in a game because the NFLPA signs off on the game. This goes for any pro league.

So there's not a chance Madden, NBA 2k or Live, NHL, or MLB games will be affected by this.

EDIT: Also, 2k tried making a College Football game once and it was awful. They tried to use their NFL 2k presentation in a college game and that just doesn't work. They didn't even have a rankings system, IIRC.

I wasn't trying to insinuate that this news directly has some sort of affect on 2K, the NFL, or their deal with EA. I'm saying, based on this SOMEWHAT exciting news, I'm hoping it leads to more exciting news as the contact with EA and the NFL is up after this season.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Don't know why people are downplaying how big of a loss this is.

Generic College Football 2015 is a -lot- harder to sell than having the NCAA in front of it. Sales are going to take a pretty big hit.

I wasn't trying to insinuate that this news directly has some sort of affect on 2K, the NFL, or their deal with EA. I'm saying, based on this SOMEWHAT exciting news, I'm hoping it leads to more exciting news as the contact with EA and the NFL is up after this season.

Which is fine but how many people that made NFL 2k5 are even still with 2k sports?

tim.mbp

EA has already agreed to not renew their current exclusive deal with CLC when they were sued.

https://www.easportslitigation.com/Home/FAQ

Electronic Arts will not renew its current collegiate football trademark license with the Collegiate Licensing Company (“CLC”) on an exclusive basis for five years after it expires in 2014; and that Electronic Arts will not seek any new exclusive trademark license for the purpose of making football videogames with the CLC, the NCAA, or any NCAA member institution covered by the current exclusive license for five years after the expiration of the current CLC agreement

Sulik2

Sounds like there will be no NCAA college football game, but a game maker could negotiate with individual schools. Here comes SEC College Football 2015.

I wasn't assuming anything. I'm legitimately trying to figure out what this means exactly.

The NCAA is no longer in the business of licensing themselves out for products like football video games. That's pretty much all this means. They were not the end all be all, they were just another logo to have on the box. From the sounds of it, they were not even a vital cog in terms of allowing ea to use school names and stadiums.

StoOgE

Still I'm sure they couldn't name it the same after losing this license

This basically means that they can't call is NCAA football anymore. Or use the NCAA logo.

Everything else right now will be the same.

I assume that the NCAA might tell schools that the game cannot use players likenesses at some point. So you could no longer have a player that looks and plays like Johnny Football at A&M with his number but not name.

If that happens it would be a big blow to the title. You could download OS rosters of course, but it means the balance will be all kinds of jacked and up to whoever made the roster.

The NCAA might also tell schools that allowing an easy roster download to circumvent those rules would be an issue as well.

So the NCAA might still stick their nose in here and give member schools instructions that would really hurt the franchise. But as of now, nothing has happened.

jjasper

Generic College Football 2015 is a -lot- harder to sell than having the NCAA in front of it. Sales are going to take a pretty big hit.

BCS is separate from NCAA they could easily just make it BCS 2015 if they wanted.

Which is fine but how many people that made NFL 2k5 are even still with 2k sports?

I couldn't say

I would like to think(given how great they are)a lot of those guys have made their way over the NBA team. The NFL2K games were always Visual Concepts if I'm not mistaken. I think it's all somewhat part of the same team given VC still does then NBA stuff too...

Someone else may have better information

ascii42

Return of 989 Studios' Gamebreaker?

Hopefully at least someone (even if it's just EA) continues to make college football games.

EA has a deal with the CLC in place already.

Maybe EA gets all the schools in their next game but it will have generic players. That is what this whole issue stems from: players having their likeness sold and not getting paid while EA/NCAA/other big company profits from such likeness. Say hello to generic college football 2014.

BCS Football 2015 with a big ass picture of Johnny Manziel on the cover will probably do just fine.

NeoGIF

uRkHCxV.gif

Let's go, 2K!

t26

Just put Tim Tebow on the cover again. Problem solved.

jWILL253

Banned
People are just looking right past the OP to hit the reply button.

This is the end of all college sports games. Instead of the NCAA manning the fuck up and paying the same players they make billions off the backs of, they backed out because they don't want to be held accountable. And for EA, this makes it a tough sell. Nobody will buy a college football game with only 1/8 of the entire nation's teams, especially not one with a generic name.

As for anybody else stepping into EA's place... 2K Sports learned long ago that it's impossible to sell a college sports game when it doesn't have the draw of professional leagues. If EA can't profit from it, then nobody can.

And EA just lost a flagship sports title. They are fucked...

EA has already agreed to not renew their current exclusive deal with CLC when they were sued.

Electronic Arts will not renew its current collegiate football trademark license with the Collegiate Licensing Company (“CLC”) on an exclusive basis for five years after it expires in 2014; and that Electronic Arts will not seek any new exclusive trademark license for the purpose of making football videogames with the CLC, the NCAA, or any NCAA member institution covered by the current exclusive license for five years after the expiration of the current CLC agreement.

https://www.easportslitigation.com/Home/FAQ

This is the end of all college sports games. Instead of the NCAA manning the fuck up and paying the same players they make billions off the backs of, they backed out because they don't want to be held accountable. And for EA, this makes it a tough sell. Nobody will buy a college football game with only 1/8 of the entire nation's teams, especially not one with a generic name.

As for anybody else stepping into EA's place... 2K Sports learned long ago that it's impossible to sell a college sports game when it doesn't have the draw of professional leagues. If EA can't profit from it, then nobody can.

As you just skipped over other posts pointing out that the CLC is the actual licensee of college teams, logos, bowls, stadiums, etc.

EDIT: As for your edit, that says they've decided not to re-up on the EXCLUSIVE license, it does not say that they will not obtain a license at all.

t26

Thats like saying soccer game is not going to sell because they don't have every single team/players/stadium. If they can get 75-85% of the teams they will be fine.

jWILL253

Banned
As you just skipped over other posts pointing out that the CLC is the actual licensee of college teams, logos, bowls, stadiums, etc.

Look at the edit...

Lets like saying soccer game is not going to sell because they don't have every single team/players/stadium. If they can get 75-85% of the teams they will be fine.

NCAA Football (or college sports in general) is nowhere near as big as FIFA. FIFA can get away with it because they are a global presence. Football is only big in America, and college football is only big when dealing with a few major conferences...

Enron

Banned
That entity is the NCAA and EA does get them in one scoop in their deal with the NCAA.

No, that Entity is the CLC. The CLC != NCAA.

Some of you are probably too young to remember, but back in the mid 90s the EA college football game did not have the NCAA license. It was called "Bill Walsh College Football".

EA doesn't need the NCAA to keep making their CFB game. They just need the CLC.

Top Bottom