• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

near (Vita App) | Scanning local Vita chums for all dat Game Goods

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
psvita_near_icon.png

Pre-installed with every Vita system - Uses Wi-Fi or 3G connectivity

---

near14.jpg

So, what is near, and what does it do exactly? Here's a good description by the PS Blog:

Q: What is “near”?
A: “near” is PS Vita’s integrated social networking app that enables you to check in to real-life locations and pick up or leave gifts for other gamers to find and use in their games. You can also locate and connect with your PlayStation Network friends and other gamers nearby for ad-hoc communication and multiplayer sessions, whether you set up lap-time challenges in WipEout 2048 or trade costumes with a competitor in Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3. Using “near,” you can also see which games are the most popular and highest rated by fellow gamers near your location, which can help you locate new and interesting games..

”near” can calculate your location using a Wi-Fi location service; the 3G/Wi-Fi model includes GPS technology, which enables you to be the first to find valuable game gifts by logging into “near” via 3G with more precision…and no need to wait for a Wi-Fi hot spot!

Q: Do you need 3G network connection to enjoy “near”?
A: No. PS Vita users can enjoy “near” using Wi-Fi, but a 3G connection is preferred in order to maximize “near”’s capability. By using a 3G connection, users will be able to obtain more information and encounter new players in real time via “near”. Think of it as a geo-social gaming network that taps into your location, wherever you might be.

Q: What kinds of “gifts” can you give and receive using “near”?
A: ”near” enables PS Vita owners to access virtual game-related items that other users are sharing by checking in at geographic locations that other PS Vita users have also visited. The virtual items can come in many forms: new character costumes, weapons, and treasures, just to name a few. Sharing these items between users adds a unique dimension to the portable gaming experience on PS Vita while enhancing the social connectivity among the PS Vita community.

Let's take a quick overview of the three main features of near: Out and About, Friends and Discoveries.

psvita_about_icon.png

Out and About

Out and About lets you see how many people are playing in a several mile radius, and what games they're playing. It's a great way to add more Vita friends to your friends list, what games are currently hot, discover new games you aren't playing and invite people to games and chat rooms. You can also see player ratings for games that are being played by everyone near you, and the current "buzz" for certain games that are played by the majority of users.

The Radar allows you to see the ten closest people to you, and lets you bring up their profiles and Game Goods they've uploaded. If they have a Game Good that you don't have uploaded, you'll be able to receive it!

A Game Good varies from game to game, but is a 100kb key that unlocks content across games, such as a new music track in Super Stardust Delta, a treasure in Uncharted, new parts for Modnation Racers, and tons more. Certain Game Goods can be extremely rare, so always be on the lookout for players who've uploaded gifts to their location!

Most Game Goods allow you to upload to either friends or near players.

psvita_frnds_icon.png

Friends

This basically compiles all Live Areas you have installed on the Vita into one compilation. It's a fast way to see what all your friends are doing at any given time. You can also comment on their achievements and posts.

psvita_discover-icon.png

Discoveries

Here's where you can view all the gifts you've discovered, download them, see how far you've traveled, how many games and people you've discovered and more.

By going to new locations and either tapping into a wi-fi hotspot or using 3G, you'll discover new gifts and people. near will keep track of how far you've traveled and even sync to any wi-fi hotspot that's around (public or private) to position itself geographically (if 3G is not available), and will download all the areas you've been to once you're connected to a wi-fi area you can use.

So how do you use near in games? Most can simply be local leaderboards, scores and multiplayer invites. Each game varies on how you can interact with near players, but here's just a few examples of the more varied near applications:

The Uncharted Black Market

6849436181_3804b275a5_z.jpg

One of the collectible types in UNCHARTED: Golden Abyss are the Bounties. These drop randomly from fallen enemies throughout the game and represent things that might have been found in the area you’re fighting in: old Spanish playing cards, gold and silver coins, and so forth. Many of these items are scarce, and some are really rare. You’re not going to collect all these on a single playthrough!

To make it a little easier to collect all the Bounties, we created The Black Market. This is a near application that allows you select a Bounty type from your collection and send a request out to the Black Market. If any other PS Vita players out there (in the area where you made the request) have a Bounty that you’re missing, the Black Market will send you a copy of their Bounty, even the rarest collectibles. We even created a sixth Bounty type that you can obtain only through near: if you send a request to the Black Market and no one has what you need, the Black Market will send you a carved Fetish for you troubles. While the five bounties are tied to Trophies, the Fetishes are not… so you don’t have to use near to achieve Platinum. But for those of you who want to try a little Black Market trading, take your PS Vita with you!

Lumines

near10.jpg
near11.jpg

You can upload unlocked tracks, avatars and more by either sending it to friends or leaving it as a gift for any available near players.

Unit 13

unit-13-20111122115308545_640w.jpg
unit-13-20111122115317866_640w.jpg

Utilising Vita's Near functionality, your score (accumulated from completing mission objectives) will be broadcasted to nearby Vitas and friends, challenging them them to tackle the mission themselves - which in turn can unlock later stages for players who haven't progressed as far - and beat your score. Across each of these of these thirty-six self-contained missions, daily challenges - such as disabling computer terminals and killing a certain number of enemies - will keep the fires of competion burning long after the standard game completion, with global leaderboards feeding the habitual demands of veteran score hunters.

There's lots more to be sure, but that gives you the idea of near. It's literally like your own local community.

Games the Support Near

This is a bit difficult to populate as games don't specifically advertise near functionality, so please let me know which ones I've missed and what specifically the game can do with near. I'm sure there's more but here are some that I know for sure:

Super Stardust Delta
Modnation Racers
Little Deviants
Uncharted: Golden Abyss
Unit 13
Lumines
Wipeout 2048
Rayman: Origins
Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3
Touch my Katamari
Shinobido 2

I'll try to update these games with the kind of functionality they have, as well as update the OP as we get through the layers of confusion that near can sometimes have, hah. So, let's get...uh...near-ing!

This looks really, really cool and adds a lot of depth to the handheld experience as there is a genuine reason to take the Vita with yourself wherever you go. Uncharted implemention sounds awesome. I really want to see what Kojima can do with this.

UberTag

I've been my local neighborhood Uncharted bounty supplier.
It's nice having a growing fetish collection and all but it would be nice to have an assist on the bounty front.

Does anyone have videos that show the UI, specifically the friends list, messaging, integration, etc?

I really want those kinds of features for the PS3/4, it'd make PSN look so much more appealing

Chorazin

I posted this in the Launch thread, but today at 7:46 am while I was driving to work, with 3G off and AFAIK no wifi connection, my Vita polled the GPS, saved my location, and downloaded the Near data from that area and time when I got home.

Fucking. AWESOME.

I'm reading a lot of complainers that have Wifi model and it not "working" properly. What's next, game "news" sites will echo their words and the masses will think the app is "inaccurate"?

What I'm saying is, the 3G models seem to shine with this.
If someone's Wifi model isn't "working" properly, that's the fault of their model, not the Near app.

Is there any way to get more info besides rough distance? Like more in-depth location data of people that come up (street, etc)?
Surprisingly there's about 7 Vita's that come up within 10 miles...it seems too good to be true, as I'm seeing a lot of others say similar things. Are we sure it's accurate?

Trevelyan

Banned
I'm reading a lot of complainers that have Wifi model and it not "working" properly. What's next, game "news" sites will echo their words and the masses will think the app is "inaccurate"?

What I'm saying is, the 3G models seem to shine with this.

Is there any way to get more info besides rough distance? Like more in-depth location data of people that come up (street, etc)?
Surprisingly there's about 7 Vita's that come up within 10 miles...it seems too good to be true, as I'm seeing a lot of others say similar things. Are we sure it's accurate?

This morning I had about 48(I think) people around me in the San Jose/Los Gatos area. made a couple of new friends to! hah

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I got 3 hits today and met friends of friends of theirs. Ended up hitting up some Hot Shots with a guy from the Netherlands who imported one a month back. This near thing works flawlessly with GPS too.

Got into one of their group chats and it was funny as one of them was 15 and said his mommy wouldn't let him talk. I had to ask him if he was young and he told me but he's near me. I didn't pry too much but ended up playing with his other 2 friends and one is from my old state of Michigan.

JoeFenix

I wish I could get this to work, I did find a thread about people experiencing the same issues that I'm having so I'm hoping it's something that's gonna be fixed.

I really want to be able to use this, it sounds pretty awesome!

Chorazin

I wish I could get this to work, I did find a thread about people experiencing the same issues that I'm having so I'm hoping it's something that's gonna be fixed.

I really want to be able to use this, it sounds pretty awesome!

Try it with 3G on, even if you don't have a plan. I couldn't get it to work at first either, but that got it working right and it's been fine since.

graywolf323

heck I'm in the suburbs near Richmond, Virginia and the last time I checked near it said there were ~40 people playing near me o_O

I will not be surprised at this point if there are over 100 people next Friday after the official launch

jiggle

always liked the sound of this feature
let's hope 3rd party will actually support it over time
are they required to?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Do the edges of the circle-bubble things look that bad on a Vita itself? Or is it just a horrible screen capture thing?

They look a little jaggy. Not that it cuts your eyes. That's the last thing I'm thinking about when browsing that OS.

Mind you that is a native res shot blown up. It's not on Vita's 5" OLED.

I couldn't get it working at all with my wifi Vita. so sad. is it because of my location? I'm in Indonesia, wondering if anyone else around that area can use Near. I think the idea of Near sounds really cool.

I just upload my wi-fi mac adress to skyhook website a couple days ago since I heard that helps, but skyhook said it'll take a couple weeks to process my info or something. I hope they'll be able to fix it in the future, otherwise I may have to ask my store if I can trade to 3G version...

patsu

What does it mean to have one encounter with someone?

In Near ? Probably when they show up on your radar.

Go to the Players' Voice tab, you can see people's opinions on a game, separated into 3 different groups:
1. People you encountered in Near
2. People on your friends list
3. People you have played against/with

anddo0

where do the “gifts" get downloaded to?

I got a Modnation mod, but don't own the game. If I wanted to delete it, where would I look?

Do the edges of the circle-bubble things look that bad on a Vita itself? Or is it just a horrible screen capture thing?

Yeah they are a little jaggy unfortunately, but nothing too serious or something that would distract you. I noticed because I'm very anal about things like that. It's hard to notice on the 5" OLED.

to Trevelyan and FuttBuck where are you guys located? (Want to know if those are all FEB players)

I'm in Queens, NY.

patsu

Is there like, community pages for each game where people can write posts/reviews and things like that?

There are at least 2 areas for such interaction:

In Near, you will discover new and old games when you meet people on the radar. For each of these games, you can go into a "Players' Voice" page to share your opinion of the game. In particular, you can assign emoticons to the game (and also see other people's emoticons about the game). There are also player counts, buzz rating, website URL, etc.

In LiveArea, the developers can add chat, forum or other services for their players to share stuff. Every game/app has a LiveArea. You always enter a LiveArea before launching a game/app.

There are at least 2 areas for such interaction:

In Near, you will discover new and old games when you meet people on the radar. For each of these games, you can go into a "Players' Voice" page to share your opinion of the game. In particular, you can assign emoticons to the game (and also see other people's emoticons about the game). There are also player counts, buzz rating, website URL, etc.

In LiveArea, the developers can add chat, forum or other services for their players to share stuff. Every game/app has a LiveArea. You always enter a LiveArea before launching a game/app.

That's cool, I hope those community features are the norm for each game, I'm not competitive gamer so that kind of thing is some of the only stuff i'd do online

IllumiNate

Yeah I've tried 2 different wifi networks with my Wifi Vita and it doesn't work. Really wish I could get it to work, it looks really cool.
I'm hoping it's gonna be fixed in some kind of update patch, since I think come Wednesday when everyone else gets there Wifi model this will be a major problem

Does anyone have videos that show the UI, specifically the friends list, messaging, integration, etc?

I really want those kinds of features for the PS3/4, it'd make PSN look so much more appealing

Don't remember where I read it, but supposedly near was under consideration for PS3 via FW. Would make more sense if those PS3/PSV cross compatible games can drop gifts to each other, so for example, if I only have a PS3 and buy the Motorstorm RC game, I can still drop gifts for PSV players that may pass by my house, and vice versa.

Ken

Interesting ! Where do you see that stats ? In "Discoveries" ?

No, in their um...gamer card thing. I'm not sure what the PSN term is (I'm more familiar with XBL stuff). Let me get a screen shot.

1fab8579.jpg

dfa9e3fd.png

04fcb45c.jpg

I haven't received a game good from "W" yet, so it can't be that.

Top Bottom