• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

near (Vita App) | Scanning local Vita chums for all dat Game Goods

TheGrue

Just fixed my Near problem by doing a factory restore of the system. I guess the lighter format support had me do wasn't enough. It was obviously some corruption of my Near data, since doing this harsher reset actually reset all those settings and lost my history. Would be nice if you could reset that separately.

patsu

You should clarify that, because this will only add to the confusion. Games they are playing, or games they WERE playing when they connected to wi-fi in your proximity. This is major difference with how Streetpass on 3DS works.

Both. Near shows a history of games everyone has played. This includes your friends list folks, Near neighbours, and strangers you have played against.

You can set Safe Zones and Safe Games to prevent Near from publishing your presence. You can also turn it off, or configure it to publish manually or automatically.

Near also has special sections for your friends in the friends list. Overall, I feel it's like a gamer friends finder. You can "understand" people not only close to you geographically but also similar interest-wise. It's really neat!

patsu

Reading this thread made me think "fuck i better pre-ordered the 3G model", but Smartphone + tethering + Wi-Fi Vita should do the same i guess.

slightly different. When you tether, I think Vita will still use WiFi to determine your position.

patsu

I'm wondering when iPhones will start doing more location based content like this and street pass?

There are already iPhone apps that do interesting things with the GPS. Unfortunately they are not geared towards gaming.

It's all about specializing the entire experience towards entertainment and gaming on Vita. If Sony can demonstrate this in a fun and elegant way in every major apps (like Near !), they should be able to differentiate well.

At first near wasn't sharing my PSN ID even though I set it to share, but I discovered it will hide your ID if you are currently situated in a privacy zone that you set.

I set my house as a privacy zone, but that doesn't make much sense if I'll be using it here mostly.

Now that it's sharing info and I can see others around me, and what they're playing it's quite cool. I'm just surprised that there are supposedly 30 people in my area playing.

DustinC

For Uncharted's Black Market, do I need to trigger something to throw out a trade on NEAR? Everytime I go into Black Market I get that intro menu screen that breaks down current trades and stuff, and it always says I'm not actively seeking anything.

I had one trade offer that came through NEAR, and when I downloaded it on the NEAR app it didn't do shit in Black Market that I could tell.

I'm sure I'm missing something totally obvious, I just can't figure out what. I've got 39 hits through NEAR, just last night, with a bunch of those people listed as having played Uncharted, but still no other trade offers or anything from what I can tell.

At first near wasn't sharing my PSN ID even though I set it to share, but I discovered it will hide your ID if you are currently situated in a privacy zone that you set.

I set my house as a privacy zone, but that doesn't make much sense if I'll be using it here mostly.

Now that it's sharing info and I can see others around me, and what they're playing it's quite cool. I'm just surprised that there are supposedly 30 people in my area playing.

I just hear Playstation Blog Podcast and I don't know where they located, but they said they have around 463 player according to Near. although obviously it's somewhere in Sony HQ or something so a lot their employee probably got one.

patsu

I just hear Playstation Blog Podcast and I don't know where they located, but they said they have around 463 player according to Near. although obviously it's somewhere in Sony HQ or something so a lot their employee probably got one.

Well yeah, someone from Sony should definitely supervise the growth of Near. I was hoping the PS Home team can take charge of the Near experience because they already have 4 years of experiences managing the Home community. Unfortunately, the Home team is kinda too focused on Home's 3D spaces so far.

I posted this in the Launch thread, but today at 7:46 am while I was driving to work, with 3G off and AFAIK no wifi connection, my Vita polled the GPS, saved my location, and downloaded the Near data from that area and time when I got home.

Fucking. AWESOME.

Ok, 3G version for me, even if I don't get a 3G plan (I didn't see any offer here in Spain).

LordK

Yeah I think Near is a bit buggy. The player count keeps going up by 5 every time I check in and I'm in the boonies right now. The only games registered as being played are the ones I've played. And each is being played by 5 people... which is how many times I've checked in with Near at this location.

Cool in theory, but I don't really trust it at the moment.

Einbroch

Banned
Yeah I think Near is a bit buggy. The player count keeps going up by 5 every time I check in and I'm in the boonies right now. The only games registered as being played are the ones I've played. And each is being played by 5 people... which is how many times I've checked in with Near at this location.

All it takes is someone passing through the area anytime between sessions and you'll get a ping, right?

Not too crazy. I take a three hour drive every few weeks, can't wait to see this thing go nuts.

DustinC

I didn't really pay attention to this until you mentioned it, but mine does the exact same thing.

The first two times I updated it went up by 4, but ever since it's been going up by 5. Looks like this:

x1
x5
x9
x14
x19
x24
x29
x34
etc, all the way up to x59 now. Out of those I've seen about 10 actual PSN ID's, and a handful of anonymous smiley faces. This is entirely from one location, I haven't taken the system outside of my apartment yet.

LordK

Yeah I was surprised to see 5 people within a 2 mile radius to begin with considering where I am right now. It's at 25 now and everyone is "anonymous."

So yeah I'm pretty sure I'm the only one in the area right now, haha.

All it takes is someone passing through the area anytime between sessions and you'll get a ping, right?

Not too crazy. I take a three hour drive every few weeks, can't wait to see this thing go nuts.

I'll be doing 30 km trips with my motorcycle inside a 2 million citizens city each day. Probably my Vita will explode when I'll syncronize it with my wifi, at home.

I wonder what happens with all people that has a vita and goes through the round line of Tokyo, through Shinjuku, they get like 5.000 near contacts every day?

Jakoro

Neo Member
Having a Wi-Fi only Vita, I only got Near working today, only to fly instantaneously to Guangzhou and back in a single hour.

24k kilometres travelled and game goods for Dynasty Warriors Next and Modnations? Score! Picked up contacts for 77 Chinese Vita owners too.

Goretrail

So, can people see exactly where you live if you are checking in at home? From the screens I have seen it does not look like they can, but this talk of privacy zones and what not has me thinking and a little worried. I do not live in the best of neighborhoods, have the projects in several places Near
Bucket o' Fish
my house in walking distance, and the last thing I want is a flashing beacon that I have shiny new electronics...

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Why are "near" words showing up in red for me? Odd. And now they're not. Hmmmm.

Going to take this out to the bigger city to see how many hits I can get. Gonna have lunch there so I will snoop around as I'm going to see about that B2B1 free sale at target or anywhere else.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
So, can people see exactly where you live if you are checking in at home? From the screens I have seen it does not look like they can, but this talk of privacy zones and what not has me thinking and a little worried. I do not live in the best of neighborhoods, have the projects in several places Near
Bucket o' Fish
my house in walking distance, and the last thing I want is a flashing beacon that I have shiny new electronics...

Even with all privacy settings off, people won't see where exactly you're located.

I didn't really pay attention to this until you mentioned it, but mine does the exact same thing.

The first two times I updated it went up by 4, but ever since it's been going up by 5. Looks like this:

x1
x5
x9
x14
x19
x24
x29
x34
etc, all the way up to x59 now. Out of those I've seen about 10 actual PSN ID's, and a handful of anonymous smiley faces. This is entirely from one location, I haven't taken the system outside of my apartment yet.

Mine is going up by 5 as well even though there are only about 4-7 people in my area playing. :/

patsu

They are probably playing tricks to maintain the minimum social experience. Once Vita gains momentum, Sony will revise/tweak their methods accordingly. The basic idea should still remain intact.

patsu

Bucket o' Fish

As chubigans pointed out, Near doesn't publish your location to other users at all.

The Privacy Zones setting indicates whether the user wants to participate in Near's radar in an area. The radar doesn't show any map.

The Privacy Games setting prevent selected games from participating in Near.

TheGrue

Just fixed my Near problem by doing a factory restore of the system. I guess the lighter format support had me do wasn't enough. It was obviously some corruption of my Near data, since doing this harsher reset actually reset all those settings and lost my history. Would be nice if you could reset that separately.

So, took my Vita out, went to do a Near update, and got the "An error occurred" error. Formatted the Vita while out and about and it fixed it. One thing I am going to try this time is leaving the option to get periodic location updates unchecked, since that is the default. I noticed before I did the refresh that caused it to get in the error state that it had a location stored and so I wonder if something there is messing things up. Like I said, having it unchecked is the default, so it could be nobody really tested it much. I also noticed when the error occurred, it seemed to be flip-flopping between 3G and HSDPA, so could also possibly be the culprit. I'd hate to have to stop using Near as I think it is very cool, but I certainly don't want to reformat my Vita every time I want to fix the issue.

LiquidMetal14

Did you search the forum for "near"? When you do a search in the forum, your search term shows up in red.

Clever dog!

I had an awesome near day. I just wish I had screens but on the other hand, 3 more people showed up for a total of what it's saying around 25 people around me but only about 6 of their avatars are showing. Some seemed to have bought a FEB locally or just now finally are using it properly with 3G/online since more are showing up and it's not even out yet.

This is an awesome and useful feature. I've said hello to all the local peeps here too.

LiquidMetal14

It was not this active in my vicinity a few days back so I don't know what's going on. Unless it picking up a higher radius which it seems to be upon looking at it.

2012-02-19-205003n5jjx.jpg

LiquidMetal14

wow, 97? where are you located

Central FL. I think it's because my radius has increased but I certainly have had more hits since I take it out with me like when I went traveling earlier today and used the MAPS app. Really cool and if you missed it, sift through either my posts of today's posts in the Vita launch thread.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR

yeah I had to do the same thing and AGAIN my data seem to have got corrupt again, and I'm hating that I have to do a reset again.

LiquidMetal14

Cross posting with the western launch topic but things have definitely picked up and I found a new screen/feature here. It shows all the people nearby and if you've talked to them or how many times you've ran into them (I believe).

2012-02-20-221130s4yx9.jpg

This was in Spring Hill FL. Took the fam out there for some shopping today.
2012-02-20-213555b2ags.jpg

Chatin

Obviously near doesn't work the same as StreetPass, so if I'm using a wifi model of the Vita, and do not intend to take it out and log into other networks as I travel around my city, is there any point in me taking it out at all? If the other players in the area around my apartment aren't okaying near support for Uncharted and such, am I gonna miss out on it altogether?

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
You ought to take it with you, as it'll still locate and download Game Goods wherever you go in the city.

@LiquidMetal14 I think this is a result of the new update, as I'm also getting discovery pings. Pretty awesome!

patsu

Obviously near doesn't work the same as StreetPass, so if I'm using a wifi model of the Vita, and do not intend to take it out and log into other networks as I travel around my city, is there any point in me taking it out at all? If the other players in the area around my apartment aren't okaying near support for Uncharted and such, am I gonna miss out on it altogether?

Near will work even if you don't take Vita out.

If other players in your area turn off Near support, then your radar would be empty. However, Near also tracks activities in your friends list. It even allows you to analyze games played by people you met in other games. Plus it should show items dropped by the games or other players. So you should be able to see something in Near.

You ought to take it with you, as it'll still locate and download Game Goods wherever you go in the city.

@LiquidMetal14 I think this is a result of the new update, as I'm also getting discovery pings. Pretty awesome!

The "People encountered" screen was in 1.60 too. I saw it this afternoon, before 1.61 dropped.

TheGrue

Weird, even though I show 3 people on the radar, and 120 people (number always seems to go up), the Players count on the Discovery page shows 0.

It says it's not sharing my online ID, even though I selected share ID.I also read that you cant be in a privacy zone, I checked and it has 0 so I am not in a privacy zone, right?

Why isnt it not sharing my online id?

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Weird, even though I show 3 people on the radar, and 120 people (number always seems to go up), the Players count on the Discovery page shows 0.
I believe you have to get very close to one of those players in order to "discover" them.

It says it's not sharing my online ID, even though I selected share ID.I also read that you cant be in a privacy zone, I checked and it has 0 so I am not in a privacy zone, right?

Why isnt it not sharing my online id?
Hmm, maybe this might help? http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/psvita/near/privacy.html

I took my Vita with me when I went out to dinner with my wife Saturday night, and when I got home it said that I had a new game good. I wound up getting a bounty for Uncharted:GA that I hadnt gotten yet. This really is such a neat addition. It is also really smart of sony, I am going to carry my PSV with me everywhere I go now since I dont want to miss out on any goods.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Anyone having an issue with Near where when you hit the Update button, it finds your location but then when it goes to transmit it, it errors out with "An error occurred"? Worked fine this morning and now all day I get the same thing. I've tried killing the app and rebooting and it still does it.

Oh, and my wifi signal works fine. Can browse the store, do online Hot Shots stuff, so it isn't anything to do with my network connection. I first noticed it when I was out on 3G somewhere, but when I got home to wifi, it still continued.

Called tech support and they weren't any help either. They had me do Restore Settings, but it didn't fix it. In fact, it seemed to only reset a couple of the Near settings (but not all of them, like the unit of distance) and it still had my old Near data. There doesn't seem to be a way to kind of reset Near back to factory defaults.

Stinks, because I think this feature is cool and now it is unusable for me. I'm hoping it's something like corrupted location data and that there is a buffer and once it gets full, it will kick out the old data and maybe fix itself. Probably wishful thinking.

Same issue here on wifi/3G unit.
Had to do a factory restore as well, though I backed up and restored the data. Working now but this needs a real fix from Sony. Have read about it at other forums while searching.

I like near but it still confuses the hell out of me. This morning it told me that it discovered a new game - Little Deviants. I've seen Little Deviants in the lists of those who I've found in my area for days. Why say it discovered the game today?

Chorazin

My near hasn't updated since yesterday morning, no matter how often I hit the button. Not even an auto update overnight! Hopefully it grabbed a GPS signal on my way to work this morning, I'll check it when I get home.

TheGrue

I believe you have to get very close to one of those players in order to "discover" them.

Well, before I had my issue where I did the reset, it seemed to be counting the 3 icons that I had. Another weird thing I just had happen is that I went to a new location, it said it discovered 5 people and then about 10 populated icons showed up on the radar. Is that initial count only a count of people playing the game that shows up on the icon (in this case it was Wipeout even though I was running Uncharted in the backgroud)?

At any rate, I got no credit for all of them either and no gifts are showing up, either. Certainly possible people aren't sharing, but kind of odd that this stuff seemed to be working for me before but isn't now.

Cronson

Neo Member
heck I'm in the suburbs near Richmond, Virginia and the last time I checked near it said there were ~40 people playing near me o_O

I will not be surprised at this point if there are over 100 people next Friday after the official launch

Graywolf, I'm in RVA too, out in the West End. Add me if you want: Cronson.

I am curious if there really are 56 people with Vitas around me. I notice I can only view about 8 of their gamer cards and the other 5 are grayed out (must have privacy settings on). It kinda sucks they say 56 but I can only view a few of them.

vmatix

Neo Member
Ive got a question regarding to near and factory reset:

I've downloaded yesterday motorstorm rc test version and now I've got an unknown entry in my near game history after deleting it. Is it somehow possible to remove it separately or do I need to perform a factory reset ? And if I do it, what exactly will I loose near related ? (i.e. traveled km, game history, pending gifts, etc).

Besides that, I have to say that near is working without any problems so far (3g/wifi unit), I really like that application.

Thanks in advance !

//edit

For anyone who is curious..after factory reset, my near game history is gone but I still have an unknown entry in the Topping Charts. Traveled km's seems to be stored on Sony's server but everything else is deleted.

Yjynx

Hmm kind of confusing at first especially since there is actually so many hiden icon. I got 9 people playing around me - not bad.

So my Near finds people fine

6920844023_7c7a72c3bd.jpg

And then I get the 'you discovered a new game' notification

So I click look about and see the ! links to a player, which is presumably a game he was playing

6774755452_a2dc7f58c9.jpg

But for some reason all of the game icons are just that blank image, there's no name/data for them, even though that's the stuff I've discovered, clicking on them leads to this

6920870691_2882ab4eb5.jpg

See the random game title?
What's going on here?

The only 'game' I can actually see in peoples history around me is the Welcome Park, and my own stuff. I've discovered two gifts which displayed just fine. Is it just a sync error?

Zutroy

I don't get how to work this either. I get a little pop up saying there are 10 people playing in my area, but whenever the map shows it's always empty.

Top Bottom