• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed 2022 leaked (clips and info)

I wouldn't mind a sequel to this
apps.32702.13695403561576988.ee93f06a-1e4b-49d1-aa54-9b9583915442.510fe002-6032-4719-b3b8-40e672c81605
wouldn't mind that. NFS most wanted (2012) was my favorite of modern nfs, as it was essentially burnout paradise with real cars.

Also the older nfs games were way more grounded.(pre ps2 era carbon, etc..)

Open world can be done right, Most Wanted 2012 was amazing, Heat wasn't bad, just tone down the weirdo character models, or take them out and just have generic driver with focus on cars and driving.

My favorite outside of mw2012 was
header.jpg
need-for-speed-shift-screenshots-007_100196767_h.jpg
wtby4s2.jpg
NgdgMOf.jpg

The aggressive / technical drivers, and level up system. The damage modelling and heavyness to the cars was incredible.
I still play both nfs 1 and 2 on steam

Playing shift on steam deck is glorious, and this was before origin so no damn launcher.

Last edited:
What happened to older titles that used to be on Steam not so long ago?
C82lQ0L.png
Wth... what currency is that? Hope it's like the yen where 1000 is like $10 or something, otherwise who would buy?

They are on Steam for me, but problem is they all now require origin launcher on top of steam. Which sucks.
I would love to play these games on the steam deck, but can't due to origin bs. (there are work arounds, did it with uplay, but its a pain in the ass).

EA it's simple, go back to this template
Weren't the first NfS actually more like Driveclub offline, or earlier Outrun? Iirc NfS fans didn't necessarily like this stylized tuner stuff when Underground came along. The variety in templates they used over all new entries is quite interesting and probably better than some would give EA credit for, trying to not just rehash it every year, not always giving fans what they want/expect.

Last edited:

Aure

Banned
Wth... what currency is that? Hope it's like the yen where 1000 is like $10 or something, otherwise who would buy?
That's Argentinian Peso. Most devaluated currency in the world after Venezuela.
It's worth less than toilet paper, $4199 for Heat is a ripoff, plus %75 in taxes.
God, i hate my country so goddamn much.

Robb

Gold Member
Hopefully it’ll be fun but visually it looks very underwhelming in those shots. Especially after seeing the recent Forza and GT.

Last edited:

They are on Steam for me, but problem is they all now require origin launcher on top of steam. Which sucks.
I would love to play these games on the steam deck, but can't due to origin bs. (there are work arounds, did it with uplay, but its a pain in the ass).
Argentine Peso.

GHG

Yeah, as an old fan, not buying it. However, if the kids like this stuff, good for them. Games are made for them first. I have plenty of old games, hobbies, new sports I'm taking up, languages to learn.. So not bothered at all. It's a pity though because some of the old nfs games were awesome.

I don't get it.

When we were kids they just focused on making high quality games, regardless of the target audience.

Since when did being for kids mean it needs to be dumbed down to the nth degree and be politically slanted? That's not to even mention the general structure of games these days which are geared towards promoting FOMO and selling microtransactions/dlc/etc.

Games certainly weren't like that when I was a kid, we just wanted good quality experiences that we could talk about at school and share.

Almost feel sorry for kids growing up today with the way this industry is going at the moment.

Last edited:

wvnative

It's August 31st and this game STILL hasn't been officially revealed yet. I'm wondering if it's on fire? If it's still targeting November or early December that's gonna be a massively short turn around time for marketing.

I despise the way it sounds like it's primarily targeting kids, but I really want to see it in action before I go full neckbeard rage. But this is all we have to go on...

CamHostage

Weren't the first NfS actually more like Driveclub offline, or earlier Outrun? Iirc NfS fans didn't necessarily like this stylized tuner stuff when Underground came along. The variety in templates they used over all new entries is quite interesting and probably better than some would give EA credit for, trying to not just rehash it every year, not always giving fans what they want/expect.

Yeah, NFS has always had variety; even in its first couple games, they were experimenting with different concept models with the Hot Pursuit and High Stakes games plus they did spin-offs early like "Need for Speed V-Rally" (which isn't NFS but so be it,) and Porsche Unleashed. Also NFS experimented with "epic style" art in the Wii/DS Need for Speed Nitro games (back when EA tried making games specifically for the Nintendo audience.)

The biggest problem here seems to be (aside from that it is taking Fortnite-influences, which "Gamer" gamers get immediately grumpy about that, and seems to more arcadey and simple than the series has ever been before,) is that this right now is the only NFS on the horizon. It doesn't even have a subtitle yet, it's just Need for Speed. The latest reboot of Need for Speed. And it's by Criterion, who can make real racing games (...and also they can make crazy racing games and sci-fi racing games and whatever racing games they want) and they showed that early vehicle render teaser that hinted at realistic cars in realistic worlds. That teaser was out in the desert, so it never looked like NFS Underground, but upon seeing cars looking that good in a NFS, people imagined the NFS they fell in love with, which was likely Underground or something in that era, and just assumed they'd be getting something aligning with that. The leaks point at it taking a different direction, for better or worse.

Last edited:

0neAnd0nly

No drift

No drag

Upgraded system to simplify it for the younger audience

Yeah this sounds so amazing. Basically a car game minus … car things. Thought they learned from their “simplification” on the 2015 game that it isn’t a good thing, but hey guess not. #doubledown

Will be skipping. Geez. Thanks EA.

PEOPLE JUST WANT EFFING UNDERGROUND AND MOST WANTED. DO YOU NOT HOW DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND.

0neAnd0nly

Weird flex telling EA to get a supply of Import Tuner.
They own SpeedHunters they know whats hot and not just in "the west" but basically all over the world.
Its not that they dont know whats popular in the Tuner world, its that they know that world isnt "that" popular with people who would buy their games.

im sure the last few car shows youve gone to, you might get into a NFS Underground/MostWanted conversation and everyone wishes that style of game could come back.
But ask those same people "would you buy it?"....Youll get a very unconvincing "sure".

Odd take, imo.

SNGJmDV.jpg

MW and UG are far and away the best selling of all time.

They haven’t once returned to that formula since they left it. Making a statement like that without proof seems… odd.

Btw - I have been building race cars since the early 00. I know the scene. People would buy it.

Last edited:

stn

That looks depressing. At least we'll always have Most Wanted (2005) and Underground 2. Hell, even Heat is very solid. I almost thought they were returning to form.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Odd take, imo.

SNGJmDV.jpg

They haven’t once returned to that formula since they left it. Making a statement like that without proof seems… odd.

Btw - I have been building race cars since the early 00. I know the scene. People would buy it.
Need For Speed '15 was fully a scene game, what do you mean they never tried the formula again.
Need For Speed '15 could have been badged Underground 3.
Its was more tuner culture than Underground and MostWanted.

It sold the same amount as Payback and Heat.
So clearly they need to try something else to try getting back into the 10s of millions.

//DEVIL//

How hard is it in 2022 to make a good looking racing game. It's a map, a car and car physics. It's not like you can get out the car, do other shit, go into buildings. I'm perplexed as to why it's so difficult.

Forza Horizon 5 is still the GOAT racing game at present. Even GT7 looks like shit when actually racing. Third person view of the car is ugly as hell. I picked up GT7 on PS5 new for $28 USD and I still feel I got ripped off.
I laughed. I do agree with you though. And yeah Forza still the king. Too bad the story was short in 5. I completed all main races and I got bored.

The only thing that keeps me playing that game is the auctions and hunt for rate cars

CamHostage

Odd, but that was the time when games like NFS sold in the 10s of millions. Those mad days are probably over. They shied away from sharing numbers, but we can safely say NFS Most Wanted 2012 did significantly less business than NFS Most Wanted 2005. And remember at the time that 2K/Rockstar had its own phenomenally-successful racing game series Midnight Club, which they don't even bother with anymore. F&F does still toss in its traditional "race for slips" scene in most (all?) movies, but that's long been abandoned as the cultural heart of the series.

I agree that a proper new Need for Speed Underground could be a phenomenon, on nostalgia alone plus you could do a lot new with graphics and physics, so I don't understand either why they've avoided the name and the style all these years. But I don't think "Just do that thing that worked before, again" is the overall answer to EA's NFS struggles.

Last edited:

Krathoon

They had the right idea with Carbon and Most Wanted 2005. Just make more of that silliness.
They did that with the Need for Speed reboot and then they abandoned it.
Use a mix of live action and 3D graphics.

The Stig

NFS Shift is probably my favorite NFS after Underground 2. That episode was incredible and the cockpit view is still immersive as fuck.

Criminally underrated. How is the multiplayer on Steam? Still playable?

What do you expect from the makers of project cars?

deeptech

It's safe to conclude that we aren't the target audience of this company anymore. If you're around 30 or older, you just don't matter anymore to them, it's so clear. It's obviously pretty much harder to impress us then some 13 year old who is completely clueless about it all.

0neAnd0nly

Need For Speed '15 was fully a scene game, what do you mean they never tried the formula again.
Need For Speed '15 could have been badged Underground 3.
Its was more tuner culture than Underground and MostWanted.

It sold the same amount as Payback and Heat.
So clearly they need to try something else to try getting back into the 10s of millions.

No.

I reviewed that game at the time for the media company I co-owned, as I was the car guy. I have the game good marks, but that was all do the visuals and ambiance.

That game put a TON of racing guys off from the get go. They proudly launched the game with no manual transmission - and only after massive heat did they end up patching it way later. I review the game WITHOUT said patch.

The driving is on rails, which they said was done to create an easier time for younger players. They specifically stated it would use a brake to drift model… instead of every other initiation tactic used 99% of the time in drifting other than a hard brake to initiate.

A lot of people got turned off BEFORE launch that were car guys, period.

Also, outside of the street races, the events were nothing like UG1 / UG2.

You are basing your thoughts purely on the atmosphere and visuals, but the game play was miles and miles different.

For what it is worth, just google opinions and you will see mass heat about driving physics all the way from the beta testing.

Interesting anecdote. Back in the middle 2000s a friend of mind who was one of the earliest pro drifting in the US who competed in both D1GP and then FD actually used NFS UG to practice. Yep. At the time most dudes drive in LFS if they wanted to practice, but he actually used Underground as his base when not actually driving. It resonated with a lot of people. Far reaching impact that game had.

I agree that a proper new Need for Speed Underground could be a phenomenon, on nostalgia alone plus you could do a lot new with graphics and physics, so I don't understand either why they've avoided the name and the style all these years. But I don't think "Just do that thing that worked before, again" is the overall answer to EA's NFS struggles.

I get it, but it feels as though they are purposefully avoiding it which is so strange. Just do it, give it an actual chance without rail physics and take in that sweet nostalgia money.

Krathoon

I did recently get Need for Speed Heat. That story seemed interesting where the law enforcement was getting violent against the racers.
Still, it would have been better if they used live actors.

NFS Shift is probably my favorite NFS after Underground 2. That episode was incredible and the cockpit view is still immersive as fuck.

Criminally underrated. How is the multiplayer on Steam? Still playable?

They disabled the multiplayer in 2014, sadly. I bought it for single player so I am not too miffed. I played my share back on my ps3 version, which the Steam version looks a lot better then, obviously.

Whats messed up, i just was about to buy mw2012, and see it requires a laucher in origin. FIgured $5.00 for a game no big deal. Then i see that the code in Steam doesn't work in Origin and a thread on the forums with 100s of users complaining about this. How they can sell a game which doesn't even work is sickening. EA is horrible.

What do you expect from the makers of project cars?
Really, same people? If so is project cars 3 like shift? I heard it had actual progression campaign (where you start out in a cheap car and work up like gt) , but the sim fans hated it? I personally want that. Shift style arcade/sim meld but with a actual progression campaign. I hate games where everything is unlocked at the start. I guess if all you do is multiplayer, but even still, what do they do all race the same fastest car?

Last edited:

Krathoon

EA does have this tendency to abandon things. Command and Conquer Tiberian Sun does not work. You have to use the fan version. Really, most of those games are supported by the fans now.

Need for Speed Undercover will not work because it has to validate with a server that no longer exists. You have to crack it to play it.
Need for Speed The Run is no longer sold digitally.

Last edited:

The Stig

Really, same people? If so is project cars 3 like shift? I heard it had actual progression campaign (where you start out in a cheap car and work up like gt) , but the sim fans hated it? I personally want that. Shift style arcade/sim meld but with a actual progression campaign. I hate games where everything is unlocked at the start. I guess if all you do is multiplayer, but even still, what do they do all race the same fastest car?
Im not sure. I have pcars 3 but its runs poorly on my machine. It felt arcadey so you might like it.

I personally adored Pcars 1+2, especially in VR. OMG

Top Bottom