• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit |OT| Do you have the Need for Speed?

Psyclone

I had bought the game on release but for some reason didn't get on with it. May be due to the fact that I hadn't discovered freeroam or had any friends on my autolog. I was big fan Burnout paradise and I think Criterion have outdone themselves. The environments feel very organic and the day/night cycles are incredible. I posted a screencap below, now I know it's not as pretty as the PC version (playing ps3 version here), but still looks pretty amazing!

Add me to your PS3 friends lists:

mdaghlas

nfsgreen.jpg

Himself

I just got Burnout Paradise and I'm loving it. I want to play more Criterion games! What would you say is similar/different or better/worse about this compared to BP? I'm very curious what the word on the streets is.

Sysgen

Vastag said:
Sorry for the bump. Anyone still playing?, need some Autolog friends, my EA username is Vastag

I'm gonna start playing again. Just solved a big issue I had with the game. I got rid of the stuttering by completely uninstall GamerOSD which in turn also solved my Batman AA problem (certain sections under 10fps).

Bebpo

Banned
On the racer career I've been stuck on ONE RACE for like 3 weeks now. I'm around rank 5 or 6 and there is only ONE RACE I can do. It's called AVALANCHE and is a hot pursuit race with 5 racers and a ton of cops + helicopters on this windy snow mountain with almost no shortcuts.

I always make it to the last mile but after being bashed around by cops and having hit a few spike strips OUT OF NOWHERE I'm in heavy damage by that final mile and then the cops go CRAZY and just ram me until I'm dead or a heli drops a spike strip in my face and finishes me.

It's frustrating because it's a long freaking race (6 mins+) and to be doing really well and then die in the last < 1 min every time sucks.

Are there any strategies/tips for hot pursuit races in this game? Because it seems mainly luck with being able to see and avoid spike strips at the last minute, use jammers when EMP'd and hope to god the cops do not ram you repeatedly instead of the other drivers when you are all out of spike strips.

gragy10

PC GAF - is this game massively processor intensive or something?
Have just upgraded from a GTX 275 to a GTX 580 to absolutely no discernable improvement in frame rate.
Was getting an average of 60fps at 1080p everything maxed with consistent dips to 40-50 fps in group races and night events (basically anything with a lot of independent light sources) and despite the change of GPU am at exactly the same level of performance.
CPU is a Phenom II X4 965 BE.

I think it's a CPU thing, try the affinity setting thing.

I'm having trouble enabling AA in this game. Have a GTX 560 Ti, and using Nvidia Inspector, whatever I set the AA to, nothing changes in the game.

gragy10

RoaringHawk said:
I think it's a CPU thing, try the affinity setting thing.

I'm having trouble enabling AA in this game. Have a GTX 560 Ti, and using Nvidia Inspector, whatever I set the AA to, nothing changes in the game.

Nice one - will try that out today.
On the AA note have you got the latest version of NI?

I bought the Limited Edition on PS3 and 360

Finished the PS3 version and started the 360...

Just noticed that the DLC - Addons have disappeared from the Market Place.

nib95

Banned
Whilst I have really enjoyed many parts of this game and still am, I must say, I extremely disappointed with Criterion on this one. I held them in very high esteem, and just don't feel NFS HP has really been up to snuff with what I've come to expect from them. It's fun, really fun at times. But lacks variety and segments where I'm at now, I just feel the AI is incredibly cheap.

I've had some pretty infuriating races, and I've played and completed (usually 100%'ed) every Burnout title thus far, and never really felt it was 'cheap'. But NFS HP wreaks of it.

Take this race I'm stuck on now "Encore Performance - Race Performance", basically usually the M3 or Alfa in first. But I don't think I've ever played a cheaper track on any racing game.

You have scripted AI. Same crash every time near the beginning of the race after the opening tunnel (I know because I must have re-tried it 10 times). You can either go to the opposite side and lose time because it's a wider route, or stick it through and essentially luck it out when the crash takes place. Appalling that it's literally down to luck if you get caught in the crash (near enough).

Next up, how is the person in first always a set time or length ahead of you? The track basically forces you to take short cuts, otherwise no matter HOW well you race, the opponent that comes first will always be a set distance ahead of you. Again I know this because my completion times have dropped 1 second each time, but every time it's not made a single difference to the distance he finishes in-front of me.

That's just one race. There's so many other examples of cheap AI and gameplay. Moments where an opponent will lay a spike trap in such a tight squeeze you can only turn one direction, but a truck will happen to be coming there too. It's like the game pre-calculates when it wants you to crash sometimes. So many times I've gone through tunnels where the arrangement of cars (2-3 vehicles in traffic, another 2 racing) have literally made it impossible to escape an accident.

For a Criterion game, it's all quite disappointing. Usually their games have a bit more polish than this. And scripted nonsensical AI in these later parts of the game I did not expect.

Poor show Criterion. I honestly hope the further I get in to the game, it's not just more difficult purely for reasons like the above. That would be a damn shame.

AEREC

Randy said:
Yep, Steam sales are highly effective. I bought this sucker and enjoying it, though having an ATI-card, I can't seem to enable AA. I tried with Radeon Pro and AMD Vision Center, but no luck.

FXAA isn't that effective too. Has anyone got a solution?

EDIT: And GAF came up with a solution: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=27919977&postcount=4483

I came in here looking for the same solution, however Im on an nvidia card.

bumping this since it's still on sale on Steam... should i get it if i liked Burnout Takedown and Paradise well enough?

Also: how is the PC version? Is it a good port generally speaking?

I would probably only play single player since i have no one that's got this game on my friends list so is the SP campaign enough to justify this?

bs000

Was playing online and a helicopter was behind me but dropped a magic spike strip right in front of me D:

I get solid 60fps with 16x CSAA, but when I bump it up to 16xQ CSAA, or 32x CSAA the game runs at like 10 fps. What am I doing wrong?

Add bs000 :)

Arucardo

Winnie the Pimp said:
bumping this since it's still on sale on Steam... should i get it if i liked Burnout Takedown and Paradise well enough?

Also: how is the PC version? Is it a good port generally speaking?

I would probably only play single player since i have no one that's got this game on my friends list so is the SP campaign enough to justify this?
For what it costs on Steam right now, HELL YES! I love this game and it looks amazing on pc. If you're used to the burnout driving model you should get the hang of this fairly quick.

Firebrand

Bought it on the Steam weekend sale, but uh... I forgot to check... this thing's DRM free, apart from the usual Steam stuff? They're not listing anything on the store page.
EDIT: No DRM it seems, other than binding the key to an EA account.

I just bought this because of the Steam sale. I guess I'm more of an old-school NFSer, since I have not really enjoyed (and sometimes not even really tried) the NFS games since NFS: Porsche. At the same time, I love the Burnout series and thought that Bournout Paradise pretty much perfected the "arcade racer".

After 2 hours of playing, I don't really understand why people like this game all that much. The biggest problem I have with this game is the driving model. It almost feels like a ridge racer game. I'm sluggishly driving on rails throughout most of the tracks, drifting into corners, boosting out of corners - repeat until finished -> gold medal. Also, it's not really all that much fun. Burnout Paradise felt much more dynamic and even (gasp) more realistic.

What am I doing wrong here? Does the game change a lot after the initial first hours?

LCGeek

formerly sane
the_korben said:
I just bought this because of the Steam sale. I guess I'm more of an old-school NFSer, since I have not really enjoyed (and sometimes not even really tried) the NFS games since NFS: Porsche. At the same time, I love the Burnout series and thought that Bournout Paradise pretty much perfected the "arcade racer".

After 2 hours of playing, I don't really understand why people like this game all that much. The biggest problem I have with this game is the driving model. It almost feels like a ridge racer game. I'm sluggishly driving on rails throughout most of the tracks, drifting into corners, boosting out of corners - repeat until finished -> gold medal. Also, it's not really all that much fun. Burnout Paradise felt much more dynamic and even (gasp) more realistic.

What am I doing wrong here? Does the game change a lot after the initial first hours?

Ridge Racer doesn't feel half as good in terms of drifitng bs you get with the upper cars. Infact RR cars are far more sluggish especially the ones with crazy drift in comparison to what you get in this game.

Don't boost out of corners you get more boost in straights.

Firebrand

Hmm, yeah, only played a little, a bit disappointed. I know Criterion made this but it feels a bit too much like Burnout. I loved NFS3:HP though! Oh well, I'll give it another go tomorrow.

Game also stutters like mad on my system during races, it seems it's accessing the hard drive a lot, when it's not I probably get 50-60 FPS. Checking the task manager it seems it's using barely 1 gig of RAM out of my ~3,3 gigs?

Randy

Was working my way through the SP, but felt like doing some online fun today. And boy, did I have a LOT of fun. Hot Pursuit with fellow players is where it's at.

DangerStepp

Randy said:
Was working my way through the SP, but felt like doing some online fun today. And boy, did I have a LOT of fun. Hot Pursuit with fellow players is where it's at.
On PC? I'd like to play this some time; I got it back in December.

Thrakier

I'm playing it right now. Is it just me or are the GFX very dark/contrasty on the standard gamma? I need to bring it down some notches till I feel comfortable with the picture. I thought my set is calibrated though, no black crush or something like that...

[Nintex]

Ah great to see this bumped. I just love playing this game on my Xbox 360, easily one of my favorite racers this gen next to the PGR's. Kinda sad that The Run turned out the way it did... :(

Ah well, next Criterion game is probably a next-gen title so it's all good.

Sorry for this necrobump, but with the DLC on sale, I figured I boot this game up again...and the online is pretty much a ghost town.

Burnout Paradise's online looks and feel more active than this one. Geez. Wasted 280 on that Armed and Dangerous Pack.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Sorry for this necrobump, but with the DLC on sale, I figured I boot this game up again...and the online is pretty much a ghost town.

Burnout Paradise's online looks and feel more active than this one. Geez. Wasted 280 on that Armed and Dangerous Pack.

That's sad to hear. But, yeah... Despite liking Hot Pursuit much more than Burnout Paradise, the online implementation of the latter is indeed superior and more inviting.

BPK

Can the average player online compete without buying any cars from the store? I play Hyper class, and I try not to support the DLC trend unless what's offered is really compelling. That said, I'm getting left in the dust most races (and not because I'm crashing).

Hejdlond

Got this for 3 of my friends at the Amazon Sale and 3 of us tried multiplayer Hot Pursuit last night. It was really fun and if you're into arcade racers or just having fun in general, check it out. One of the guys who participated generally hate driving games so I guess that's a good sign. It's still available for cheap in the Burning Hot Bundle at Amazon.

If you're still on the fence, check out some of the highlighs from our session last night. Lots of crashing and cop-on-cop trolling.

Thrakier

Somehow I don't get what the fun is in this game. The races are very very long, though only a small part of it really matters due to rubberbanding. All tracks look the same. Burnout is a way more exciting game tbh...

TimeLike

I just bought this last weekend and I think it's a blast. Loved BO:p and love this. Online is dead. Didn't need the online pass afterall. None of my friends ever played it so my autolog is empty. Will play till I hit the racing game difficulty wall and move on. Props to Criterion and can't wait till Most Wanted in October.

strafer

This is some bullshit.

I can't seem to play this online anymore.

I installed it on Steam as usual and when it prompts to put in the product key in the game, I do it and it says it's been used too many times, the fuck?

I installed Origin and tried it there, well in the install part it could validate but in the game it couldn't, same error.

sigh

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Anyone know a way to edit the settings on PC? I seem to remember there being a way to add AA manually, but I haven't been able to find anything in a search.

Edit - I'm pretty sure it was thru Nvidia control panel.

Jesb

I'm resurrecting an old thread, hope to get an answer. I recently installed a copy of Windows 8.1 and lost all my saves on origin. I assumed I was safe with cloud saving, but nfshp doesn't load my cloud save, just starts a new one. Anyone know how I can get my cloud save, or is cloud saving a broken feature?

Top Bottom