• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit |OT| Do you have the Need for Speed?

The_Dude

Anybody have any graphical glitches with the PC version since updating? It was running fine for me until the patch, but now I often get lines and blocks of colors flashing on the screen. It happens in almost all crash replays and sometimes while racing. The preview event with the Porsche 911 GT3 was glitching for about 90% of the race.

I was worried my video card was the problem, but I've played several other games without incident. Any ideas?

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
I hate that they didn't put circuits in this game. I really want to like it, but the controls, long load times (PS3 version) and rubberband AI don't help any either. Maybe I'm missing the point to racers like this, but how are you supposed to memorize this? It could be that I've overlooked something in the main menu, but everything seems random as far as where you're supposed to race so memorizing shortcuts seems temporary. In other words, so far you have to learn them over and over again for each section of the world you're in. I really want to like this game, it's got great graphics and fun cars but I feel like I'm missing something.

_RT_

Kinda bummed about the controls with the game.
Can't get the hang of drifting.....
Doesn't feel like NFS to me for some reason.

Meh.

derFeef

_RT_ said:
Kinda bummed about the controls with the game.
Can't get the hang of drifting.....
Doesn't feel like NFS to me for some reason.

Meh.
Yup it´s different, but drifting is super easy. Just hit the break, stear in and play with the throttle control.

Vexidus

I found drifting a lot easier once I realized how much the analog stick direction has to do with it. For example, don't hold the stick directly left or right while beginning the drift. Try a northwest/northeast position or even higher, depending on the degree of the curve. Also, tap very briefly on the handbrake to start the drift. The longer that button is held, the more likely it is that you'll spin out.

It took me an hour or two, to really grasp the feel of drifting, and it makes a world of difference. Keep at it!

_RT_

Finally starting to get the hang of it..... I think.

And another thing.
WTF EA. Please stop making games that force my blu-ray drive to jump all over the place. PLEASE.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
magnificent83 said:
Damn, 21 dollars for all three ... as much as i love the game, 6 cars and 2 gameplay modes are just not worth it, especially when its going to be impossible to even have the game modes playable online

Yeah I like the game a lot, but I'm going to wait until the 3pack goes on EA sale or something. That's WAY too much money for DLC. Pretty soon you're going to be able to purchase the actual game for $20 somewhere...

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
I have a love/hate relationship with this game. It's a lot of fun, but the game just feels incomplete imo. It's like they have all these new features like drifting and drafting, but failed to properly implement them. I think a big part of it is the AI. I spent well over an hour playing a single race yesterday and when I finally got the gold medal, my time was 3 seconds behind my fastest completion time. WTF is that about?

I'm still having a problem with the handling of the cars as well. I do feel like the walls are magnets which is pretty typical in Criterion games, but in this case, you're punished pretty hard if you grind a wall. One hit is literally the difference between first and second. It's ironic, because in the Burnout games (not counting Paradise) you're literally glued to the walls on turns and are rewarded for grinding or ramming other cars into them. Any tips for this or do I just need to keep playing until I finally come to grips with the controls.

Also - I'm still pissed about the lack of circuits. What a easily fixable, no brainer decision for an arcade racer. I'm dumbfounded that they didn't include them. They could have still retained the point to point races they have now. Maybe they can release a patch or DLC that let's you create your own circuit.

Curufinwe

MadOdorMachine said:
I hate that they didn't put circuits in this game. I really want to like it, but the controls, long load times (PS3 version) and rubberband AI don't help any either. Maybe I'm missing the point to racers like this, but how are you supposed to memorize this? It could be that I've overlooked something in the main menu, but everything seems random as far as where you're supposed to race so memorizing shortcuts seems temporary. In other words, so far you have to learn them over and over again for each section of the world you're in. I really want to like this game, it's got great graphics and fun cars but I feel like I'm missing something.

Shortcuts aren't that important for most races, and I avoid them altogether in Rapid Response events because it's too easy to hit the walls when you take shortcuts. In other events just take the shortcuts that are obviously going to shave seconds off your time, and aren't too hard to turn into.

Your complaint seems weird to me because I find the tracks in Hot Pursuit much, much easier to manage than in Burnout Paradise where you had to spend half the time looking at the mini-map.

The_Dude said:
Anybody have any graphical glitches with the PC version since updating? It was running fine for me until the patch, but now I often get lines and blocks of colors flashing on the screen. It happens in almost all crash replays and sometimes while racing. The preview event with the Porsche 911 GT3 was glitching for about 90% of the race.

I was worried my video card was the problem, but I've played several other games without incident. Any ideas?
played it for about three hours yesterday and didn't see any such glitching. was playing on a HD5870 in Windows 7 64 bit if that helps any.

Also - I'm still pissed about the lack of circuits. What a easily fixable, no brainer decision for an arcade racer. I'm dumbfounded that they didn't include them. They could have still retained the point to point races they have now. Maybe they can release a patch or DLC that let's you create your own circuit.
the original Need for Speed was all point to point. i think they only included point to points as a nod to that.

the world design wouldn't allow for many circuits. they'd be pretty long laps if they added them now. maybe if they make another they'll put them in as an option.

it was easier for them to add them to paradise because the roads were all shorter.

Tawpgun

Curufinwe said:
Shortcuts aren't that important for most races, and I avoid them altogether in Rapid Response events because it's too easy to hit the walls when you take shortcuts. In other events just take the shortcuts that are obviously going to shave seconds off your time, and aren't too hard to turn into.

Your complaint seems weird to me because I find the tracks in Hot Pursuit much, much easier to manage than in Burnout Paradise where you had to spend half the time looking at the mini-map.

whaaaaat?

Most shortcuts will allow you to shave off some time, some will actually be worse than taking the road, a few I designate as super shortcuts will shave off a CRAZY amount of time. Each area of the world is distinct and after playing a while you should be able to remember some key shortcuts.

On the topic of Paradise, I loved road rage, I loved marked man, the stunt runs ect ect. It was the actual races that were my only complaint. The aspect of point A to point B, get there how you want, its free roam, sounds like a good OPTION to have. But races should have those flashy arrows blocking off routes, or perhaps a checkpoint system like in GTA,

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
MadOdorMachine said:
I have a love/hate relationship with this game. It's a lot of fun, but the game just feels incomplete imo. It's like they have all these new features like drifting and drafting, but failed to properly implement them. I think a big part of it is the AI. I spent well over an hour playing a single race yesterday and when I finally got the gold medal, my time was 3 seconds behind my fastest completion time. WTF is that about?

The racing is definitely love/hate in this game. The love part: The races are always exciting and always come down to the last mile. You can race shitty the whole race, be perfect in the last mile and come from behind and win. The hart part: You can drive the whole race like a pro, hit a wall in the last mile and lose.

SOLUTION: Learn how to race... have full meter going into the last mile and be just barely behind in second place. Draft, then turbo past them. You're almost guaranteed to win.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Ah just got the Gold Trophy for gold medal'ing all the Racer events! It wasn't too bad at all, at least not as bad as I initially thought it would be. I think about 10 pages back on this thread I said that I would never get Gold medals and I had given up on the hope of ever getting Platinum.

... Now I hope that I make it through all the cop missions!

The_Dude

plagiarize said:
played it for about three hours yesterday and didn't see any such glitching. was playing on a HD5870 in Windows 7 64 bit if that helps any.
Hmm. I'm still on Vista, wonder if that's anything to do with it? I actually finished the single player yesterday (all golds and distinctions, yay!) and it never got as bad as it was during that Porsche preview race, but it was still pretty annoying. I'm just really hoping it's not my video card dying.

AEREC

So how is the new DLC? Most Wanted mode I think is what it is called(where you have the whole map to play). Im out of town until next monday but was looking to download it when I get back.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
AEREC said:
So how is the new DLC? Most Wanted mode I think is what it is called(where you have the whole map to play). Im out of town until next monday but was looking to download it when I get back.
The two new modes are multiplayer only. Most Wanted is fun if you know where you're going, didn't try Arms Race yet.

Adam Prime said:
Kinda wish those two multiplayer modes were free....

Freaking Criteron spoiled us with Burnout Paradise.

It's probably EA and Microsoft Strategy. The Burnout Paradise DLC is really expensive but I remember Criterion did a lot of changes to the Burnout Paradise after consumer complains. I don't think EA is gong to allow them to do anything more for free.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Sweet, I just got all Distinctions/Golds! Now I just have to grind out Cops to Lv 20.

I was able to get Racer Lv 20 without having to grind events. I completed all the Cops events, and then purchased the Super Sports Pack just to have some more cops events to do... and now cleared all of them and only Lv 17.

So pretty much an hour or so away from Platinum Trophy, I REALLY enjoyed this game. Sure, most of the cars pretty much handled the same and by the end of the game I was getting tired of the same courses over and over again, but I still had a lot of fun in the game.

... I don't think I'm going to be purchasing any more new DLC unless there's new tracks. This game basically needs a "Big Surf Island" kind of expansion that Burnout Paradise had. In fact after this game I may feel the need to go back and play some Burnout Paradise!

This game also really needs an 'Arcade mode' or something where you can setup your own race events, or do Hot Pursuit mode endlessly and time to see how high of a score you can get like 'Road Rage' in Burnout. I don't see myself coming back to play this game more after I complete it....

EDIT: Platinum, woo hoo! Definitely my proudest of my 12 Plat Trophies that I own!

egocrata

Banned
Has anyone else purchased the new game modes? The open world, marked-man-esque one is a bit of a mess, specially because people drive like retards and don´t play as teams. Arms Race, whoever, is a blast. It is basically racing, with weapons. It turns NFS into Super NFS Kart, more or less - and it fucking rocks.

Really fun to play. Really, really fun.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
egocrata said:
Has anyone else purchased the new game modes? The open world, marked-man-esque one is a bit of a mess, specially because people drive like retards and don´t play as teams. Arms Race, whoever, is a blast. It is basically racing, with weapons. It turns NFS into Super NFS Kart, more or less - and it fucking rocks.

Really fun to play. Really, really fun.

Arms Race does sound awesome... but I'm not willing to pay, whatever it is it costs.

I wish they would've added more Lvs to rank up and new cars to earn along the way. That would get me back into the game.

iNvid02

i only purchased the game modes, car packs are a rip off.

most wanted is pretty fun, arms race is ok but not as good as i imagined.

RiZ III

Just got this yesterday. I haven't played an arcade racer since Outrun2 and before that Tokyo Xtreme 1 on Dreamcast. Man this game is fucking awesome!

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
CozMick said:
What DLC packs do I need to own them all?

EA release so much scattered shit it's confusing.

Thanks

Super Sports and the new Online Modes pack. The Porsche and Lambo ones get released... soon? Today? They're both separate purchases so there's going to be a total of 4 DLC packs you'll need if you want 100% Trophies/Achievements.

The red icons on your main menu to the far right are the Super Sports pack, it doesn't make it obvious but when you purchase it for $6.99 you're getting both the cops and the racers events/cars with it.

The other stuff there are just time savers packs, which just downloads the cars for you to use right away - obviously don't buy that shit.

AEREC

Adam Prime said:
Super Sports and the new Online Modes pack. The Porsche and Lambo ones get released... soon? Today? They're both separate purchases so there's going to be a total of 4 DLC packs you'll need if you want 100% Trophies/Achievements.

The red icons on your main menu to the far right are the Super Sports pack, it doesn't make it obvious but when you purchase it for $6.99 you're getting both the cops and the racers events/cars with it.

The other stuff there are just time savers packs, which just downloads the cars for you to use right away - obviously don't buy that shit.

I believe the Lambo pack gets released today, while the Porsche is next week. I still have gotten any DLC for this yet...but I think I may break down today and get the Armed&Dangerous and Lambo pack since I loved the Diablo in the original NFS.

Still wish they could've had Ferrari's in this game.

CozMick

Banned
Thanks for the info Adam Prime, appreciate it ;)

I'm gonna get myself the Super Sport, Armed and Dangerous and Lambo pack today :)

Also, what is the Rebels pack? just an unlock key or cars from the Collectors Edition.

Thanks.

Bulk_Rate

RiZ III said:
Just got this yesterday. I haven't played an arcade racer since Outrun2 and before that Tokyo Xtreme 1 on Dreamcast. Man this game is fucking awesome!

Agreed, plus I really like how you can (solo at least) play the game in bite-sized chunks and still make progress. This game on PC, with 360 controller, is a keeper.

My only complaint (PC) is the insanely variable framerate. My rig runs 45fps 1920x1080 with bizarre stuttering drops to the low 20s at times. I've googled the issue and it is well known, if mystifying.

DasRaven

CozMick said:
Also, what is the Rebels pack? just an unlock key or cars from the Collectors Edition.

Thanks.

The rebels pack is a set of formally police exclusive cars made available to racers.
I bought it for the Quattropore, but the rest are nice also. I'm still waiting for the 360/Dr. Pepper exclusives to come to the PS3 personally.

CozMick

Banned
DasRaven said:
The rebels pack is a set of formally police exclusive cars made available to racers.
I bought it for the Quattropore, but the rest are nice also. I'm still waiting for the 360/Dr. Pepper exclusives to come to the PS3 personally.

So they ain't unlockable during the career?

Just wanted to make sure before I buy them , I hate this time savers crap.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I hate to say it... but the cars don't behave differently enough to purchase them. I don't think it's just me, but yeah. Purchase for the new races and Achievements but if you think you're going to be getting something 'different' then you'll be disappointed.

That was the biggest bummer in an overall really really awesome game.

... BTW the Super Sports DLC packs mission are tough! They're giving me way more trouble than anything found in game.

one_kill

I hate the Duty Calls event from the Super Sports Pack. Even if you're not necessarily making any mistakes, random cars annoyingly appear from nowhere which either makes you nudge them or nudge a barrier.

Gamer98

Banned
More people need to play this game!! I play on 360 my gamertag is SgtCORNBREAD7 I play all the time. I have the DLC and I believe it is worth it even though it seems like a part of the game that should of been available day 1. I did not buy any of the car packs because they really don't handle all that different from each other. The Most Wanted gametype is where its at tho.

Zimbardo

i grabbed this off Direct2Drive the other day (its currently on sale for like $11) and its pretty good. i didn't see any glitching like a previous poster mentioned, but i was somewhat disappointed that the game doesn't make use of SLI properly. it runs better with 1 card.

anyway, it seems well worth the $11. must play it some more.

AEREC

Zimbardo said:
i grabbed this off Direct2Drive the other day (its currently on sale for like $11) and its pretty good. i didn't see any glitching like a previous poster mentioned, but i was somewhat disappointed that the game doesn't make use of SLI properly. it runs better with 1 card.

anyway, it seems well worth the $11. must play it some more.

Nice price...it sucks though that the PC version wont get any of the DLC...but as a SP racer it's still a very good one.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
I've been racing the same freaking track for 2 hours trying to get a gold medal on the McLaren preview track. Every time I get close to getting a gold medal a car pops out of nowhere and wrecks me. I wish they wouldn't have put traffic in preview track that's essentially a speed run. The difficulty has been an ongoing problem with me in this game. They pretty much throw you to the wolves from the get go. Has anyone else had this problem? It seems like it takes an unnecessary amount of dedication and patience to get gold medals so early in the game.

On another note, the game is starting to grow on me. I still hate that they didn't include circuits, but the graphics and gameplay are a lot of fun. I love drifting around corners and earning nitros, but there are inherent design issues with the game that I can't get over and hope they remedy with a sequel.

AcridMeat

Banned
bluedeviltron said:
Also picked it up on D2D. Liking it a lot, but I need some friends to see what the fuss is all about with Autolog.

Add me: GoRiLLaWAR

Will add you. I just got this game this week and would like more people to play with. Would be awesome to get an 8 player hot pursuit going, that mode is incredibly fun.

THRILLH0

Banned
Bulk_Rate said:
My only complaint (PC) is the insanely variable framerate. My rig runs 45fps 1920x1080 with bizarre stuttering drops to the low 20s at times. I've googled the issue and it is well known, if mystifying.

THIS! I get random drops running at 1650x1080 on a GTX460 + quad core which should be more than enough for smooth gameplay.

Game looks absolutely stunning 90% of the time but the drops are infuriating.

Shaneus

AShep said:
THIS! I get random drops running at 1650x1080 on a GTX460 + quad core which should be more than enough for smooth gameplay.

Maybe it's a quad core thing? I thought it was due to my Crossfire setup but perhaps it's due to the Q9550 I'm running.

AcridMeat

Banned
AShep said:

Ah, so it isn't just me. Good to know.

edit: Oh, hmm I'm on a C2D set up.

jambo

I haven't played the PC version for a while, have they released any DLC or car packs, or are they still ignoring PC?

AcridMeat

Banned
Oh wow I just did a thing that wasn't supposed to happen. A suspect crashed into a shortcut so I went to where it ended and sat sideways since one hit would have ended it. The suspect ran straight through me and I did about 15 barrel rolls before the car was reset. That was amazing.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
So much to love and so much to hate about this game. I figure I'm about 2/3 thru the campaign and would like to post some impressions. A lot of this will be critical and keep in mind this is coming from a single player perspective.

Graphics 9/10 - Let's start with the good. The graphics in this game are some of the best I've seen in a racer this gen. There's some occasional slow down and pop up, but it doesn't affect gameplay so far. The set pieces are for the most part gorgeous. There are a few night races that are annoying, but they are few and far between. Lastly are the cars. They all look great. It's nice to have a NFS title again that let's you race in the open country. My biggest complaint is that they didn't use the Burnout engine. I thought Burnout Revenge and Paradise both looked fantastic and ran a 60fps. I'm curious why they didn't go with it again, but it's a minor complaint in the grand scheme of things. Overall, the graphics are one of the best selling points of the game.

Controls 8/10 - I'm playing the PS3 version, so I don't know if it's the controller or the game itself, but I still find myself battling the controls. Drifting around corners is a lot of fun and give you a forgiving sense of control. It's easy to correct a corner when drifting. My problem lies more in narrow turns. I often find myself oversteering and swerving back and forth across the track after barely nudging the left analog stick. The sensitivity feels like it needed a little bit more tweaking. The controls aren't terrible, but there are times when the walls feel like magnets. I could understand if this were the case starting out, but as you progress and get better cars, it should correct itself. The controls work, but I do find myself wishing they were a bit tighter.

Difficulty 6/10 - This has got to be one of the most frustrating parts of the game. The difficulty seems incredibly unbalanced. From the start of game, time trials has remained the hardest part. There has been more than one occasion where it will take me 2+ hours to get a gold medal on a time trial. Doing so requires a near flawless race. I agree that gold medals should be a challenge, but there are so many obstacles, particularly traffic that make these sections a bit frustrating. I have to wonder why they decided to include traffic in time trials because it slows you down in the race and kind of defeats the purpose. The other two modes - Hot Pursuit and Standard Races are a cake walk compared to the Time Trials. A lot of times I'll win a race on the first try. On average I would say I've got a gold on each of these types of races in less than three tries. The difficulty just seems incredible skewed toward an over difficult time trial.

Level Design 3/10 - This is one of the biggest disappointments for me in the entire game and will lead into my next section. I love each of the locations and the track itself but there are some glaring design choices that I just can't get past. The first is the lack of circuits. None of the tracks seem unbearably long and it just makes you wonder why they would choose to omit such a basic and desired feature of a game like this. This omission also diminishes memorizing the nuances of each track. My next problem are the short cuts. Some of them work well, but a lot of them are completely useless. It's frustrating that in some of the shortcuts, Criterion would choose to put something like a giant boulder in the middle of a turn. The shortcuts that do work are a lot of fun, so it's frustrating to me why they would put others in there that don't work. I understand some of them may take a while to master which I would understand a lot better if there were more replayability.

Replayability 2/10 - In a racing game, replayability is one of the most important features. The lack of replayability in this game completely baffles me. Part of it is because of a lack of circuits and part of it is Criterions choice to focus so much on the online parts of the game, but this is a huge disappointment. You go thru the game unlocking all these cars, but you never get a chance to use them. I'm dumb founded by this design decision. It would have been nice to be able to replay a track and master it with you favorite car (or any car in your repertoire) but instead you're stuck with the single player campaign only and the cars Criterion chooses for you. What else is mind boggling is the fact that you can freely drive thru the entire world, yet you can't create your own track or set up a race.

Overall 7/10 - Overall, the game is a lot fun. That's what makes it so disappointing. Had Criterion just stuck with some some of the gameplay mechanics that should be a basic part of every racing game, this would have more than likely been my racer of the generation. Drifting around corners and boosting was a nice inclusion in the series. Yes, it's a copy of Burnout, but I love the way they implemented it. The police chases are also intense. The cars and environments all look great, but Criterion has seemingly done quite a bit to ensure you don't come back to the game. This game along with Metroid Other M are probably my biggest disappointments of this gen. There were design choices that I can't get my head around. Hopefully Criterion will release a patch to at least include a track editor or release a sequel to fix all these problems. As it stands, the game feels incomplete imo.

Top Bottom