• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit |OT| Do you have the Need for Speed?

Goldrusher

Kingpen said:
I'm at level 8 for cop and also for racer.

Does the gameplay get drastically different from here on out? I'm thinking this might be good trade bait now... Would I be missing a whole lot from the game (1p game) if I don't finish it up?
You unlock new cars and sometimes better equipment, but the basic game remains the game until the end.

racer: racing
cop: chasing racers

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Are people still playing this online on the PC?

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Been playing all afternoon, trying to get Gold ranks.

... as I'm playing through, it turns out the opposite of my initial thoughts turned out to be true: The Time Trial events are actually the easiest to Gold and the Races and Hot Pursuits are the most "random". I haven't tried getting Distinction in Cop events yet, but thinking about those Interceptor events sounds tough.

The Time Trial events I am enjoying the most right now, but winning a Hot Pursuit and Gold kinda depends on the random "luck" that goes on during an event, something that makes the difference between first and last. Maybe someone who has Gold ranked all the events can confirm my suspicions: The cop events are going to bemuch tougher due to the randomness.

cantona222

Kingpen said:
I'm at level 8 for cop and also for racer.

Does the gameplay get drastically different from here on out? I'm thinking this might be good trade bait now... Would I be missing a whole lot from the game (1p game) if I don't finish it up?

What you have experienced already will be the same for next events, except that you'll race in faster cars with faster opponents in longer tracks.

I lost interest in Hot Pursuit after a few weeks, I'm afraid.

It's a very good but often (in my opinion) overrated arcade racer. I think the racing in Burnout is more exhilarating and while it is well executed, Hot Pursuit has been done before.

The entire time I played Hot Pursuit, I kept feeling as if I was supposed to like it more. Anyone else feel that way?

Goldrusher

Only the "Super Sports Pack" so far.

But there's a "Porsche vs Lamborghini Pack" coming soon. Probably this week...

Includes new events, new cars and new trophies.

Porsche 911 Turbo (1982)
Porsche 959
Porsche 911 Speedster

Lamborghini Countach
Lamborghini Diablo
Lamborghini Sesto Elemento

Maybe more, but these are the ones in the trophy descriptions.

Goldrusher said:

Porsche 911 Turbo (1982)
Porsche 959
Porsche 911 Speedster

Lamborghini Countach
Lamborghini Diablo

Fuckin' sold

DSc

Goldrusher said:

Porsche 911 Turbo (1982)
Porsche 959
Porsche 911 Speedster

Lamborghini Countach
Lamborghini Diablo

Got a link to the site/Trophies where it mentions the Porsche vs Lamborghini pack? I can't find anything about it anywhere...

Goldrusher

I have the PS3 version, which got a 318 MB patch today. After installation, you see the new trophies.

edit: Typed them out:

bronze
-----------------------------------------------------------

Top of the Range
Win an online event in the Porsche 911 Turbo

Offroad Innovation
Drive for a mile (1.6 kilometers) on shortcuts in a race and win it in the Porsche 959

Street of Dreams
Drive the Porsche 911 Speedster for 20 miles (32.1 kilometers)

Pin-Up
Take 3 pictures of the Lamborghini Countach

The Diablo You Know
Reach top speed in a Lamborghini Diablo on a coastal road

Flame Grilled
Use a full bar of nitrous in one go in the Lamborghini Sesto Elemento

Rubbing is Racing
Take down another racer in Arms Race

Chase the Ace
Play 5 games of Most Wanted as a Cop

Priority Target
Play 5 games of Most Wanted as a Racer

silver
-----------------------------------------------------------

The Porsche Principle
Get Gold or Distinction in all Porsche Pack events

Masterpieces
Get Gold or Distinction in all Lamborghini Pack events

DSc

Ah okay. 360 version only here :( . Damn, would have liked to have seen what new achievements/trophies they've got going.

EDIT: Cheers!

big_z

FunnyBunny said:

It's a very good but often (in my opinion) overrated arcade racer. I think the racing in Burnout is more exhilarating and while it is well executed, Hot Pursuit has been done before.

The entire time I played Hot Pursuit, I kept feeling as if I was supposed to like it more. Anyone else feel that way?

i finished the game today getting all the achievements(not counting dlc). at first i thought the game was rather disappointing but about 6 hours in when you start getting super and exotic cars it becomes more fun. the roads are designed for fast cars and a lot of players drop out because the game forces you to play through too much slow crap.

imo this is easily the best NFS game in years but compared to criterions burnout it's shallow. the gameplay itself feels like you're on rails. the cars turn like lead and then when you drift it's as simple as tapping the hand break once or twice depending on the turn. it takes far less skill in this to drift or even drive than in burnout which is a shame.

the free drive mode is a disappointment as well. the world is hugeand amazing looking but has nothing to do in it. you would think they would have an achievement for finding all the shortcuts or some sort of item in the off roads at the very least.

to me it feels like criterion phoned this one in a bit. they made a solid game that EA would be happy with but didnt fully flesh it out to what it could have been. maybe it was the short developement cycle or maybe they didnt want to put in the ideas they have for the next burnout. who knows but finishing up this game makes me want to go back and play burnout to get the remaining online challenges. are there people still playing it on xbox?

i hope the next burnout plays like paradise(open world, online, etc) but can incorporate more country side like in NFS to go along with the city. going higher up the mountain or into the country was the only thing missing from paradise imo.

DasRaven

I like everything about this upcoming pack. Most Wanted sounds like an Interceptor variant (many vs one) that can actually be fun since Interceptor is so slanted toward the racer.

I expect the Diablo is a roadster (YES!) since there's 2 coupes and 1 roadster on the Porsche side and 2 coupes on the Lamborghini side.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
big_z said:
i finished the game today getting all the achievements(not counting dlc). at first i thought the game was rather disappointing but about 6 hours in when you start getting super and exotic cars it becomes more fun. the roads are designed for fast cars and a lot of players drop out because the game forces you to play through too much slow crap.

imo this is easily the best NFS game in years but compared to criterions burnout it's shallow. the gameplay itself feels like you're on rails. the cars turn like lead and then when you drift it's as simple as tapping the hand break once or twice depending on the turn. it takes far less skill in this to drift or even drive than in burnout which is a shame.

the free drive mode is a disappointment as well. the world is hugeand amazing looking but has nothing to do in it. you would think they would have an achievement for finding all the shortcuts or some sort of item in the off roads at the very least.

to me it feels like criterion phoned this one in a bit. they made a solid game that EA would be happy with but didnt fully flesh it out to what it could have been. maybe it was the short developement cycle or maybe they didnt want to put in the ideas they have for the next burnout. who knows but finishing up this game makes me want to go back and play burnout to get the remaining online challenges. are there people still playing it on xbox?

i hope the next burnout plays like paradise(open world, online, etc) but can incorporate more country side like in NFS to go along with the city. going higher up the mountain or into the country was the only thing missing from paradise imo.

I agree with your points about Freeride, that should've been a lot better. They should've had a survival type of mode where you just Freedrive and run from cops until you run out of "health" and Wreck, or play as cop and bust as many racers as you can until you Wreck or hit a time limit.

I think what makes this game is good is the exciting racing. Every race won (aside from the last long event) is won or lost by close margins. I've played countless racing games where you get in the lead in the beginning of the race, then you're just trying to make it through the course without making any mistakes, you're not really racing anyone.
In the Hot Pursuit modes there's constantly a cop on your ass and the weapons help the game feel "Tactically Random". I think this game hits the perfect balance between "AI Cheese" (OH WTF WHERE DID THAT SPIKE STRIP COME FROM? HOW DID I JUST LOSE A 10 SECOND LEAD IN 2 SECONDS?) to keep each race exciting, fresh, and at times a bit random, and skill of the actual driving of the cars to keep the game fair. The pure racing modes remind me of "classic" Need for Speed before the series started to suck (after Underground).

The game just hits so well on those two levels, that's what makes this title unique, I think. It's by far one of my favorite racers, this coming from a guy who loved loved loved Burnout Paradise. They're both different game experiences, and both find different ways to be fun.

Curufinwe

FunnyBunny said:

Not me. I thought it was 10 times more fun and exciting than that overrated mess Burnout Paradise.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Alright! I just earned Gold medals all the Preview and Time Trial events for the Racer events. But now, I just realized that Gauntlet events seem to be even tougher than those! I think that's where the majority of my retires are going to be on those events. Just have Guantlets, Races, and Hot Pursuits remaining on the Racer events before I nab them all Gold, then on to Cop events.

... really enjoying the game. I feel like I am learning and getting better at it all the time. I thought I'd never have a chance to platinum this game, now for the time being, it seems doable and fun in the process.

gtmax

big_z said:

Exactly the way i feel. I'm not expecting a SIM, and i'd hate to get into a philosophical argument about what a SIM is. This game is not, however. The driving model is a bit too easy and the problem with that is cars become almost generic. The only difference in cars is acceleration and top speed. In that sense, i could'nt care for which cool supercars they add, since there's no difference in feel of driving the cars.

Still, its a fun game and a welcome change from what the series had become. I'd love it if they'd put T junctions on the sequel - and a ton more traffic.

one_kill

Any tips for drifting so as to get the Slip and Slide trophy/achievement? I can enter a drift, but I don't know how to sustain it.

Goldrusher

Platinum!

time played as cop: ~39h
time played as racer: 47h 43min

Good value.

edit: Though you can probably deduct about a third from that. Those timers/clocks don't stop in between races. So even idling in the menu for a while adds time.

Dibbz

Why is the ai so shit in this game?

Doing a Duel and the other guy crashed, I saw him the mirror and got a Avoided Crash thing pop up. Then 2 seconds later he was up my ass. Right before the finish after like 5 minutes he fucking takes a shortcut that I missed and wins the race.

It's fucking cheating, piece of shit. Gonna trade it in. Suck ma balls.

big_z

one_kill said:
Any tips for drifting so as to get the Slip and Slide trophy/achievement? I can enter a drift, but I don't know how to sustain it.
It doesn't have to be all one drift. Just pick the right car and drive up and down the track until you think you've drifted far enough and then finish the race.

cantona222

Goldrusher said:
edit: Though you can probably deduct about a third from that. Those timers/clocks don't stop in between races. So even idling in the menu for a while adds time.

You don't need to deduct that time. Because you also restart races in the middle of the race. I don't think this time is added to the counter.

big_z said:
It doesn't have to be all one drift. Just pick the right car and drive up and down the track until you think you've drifted far enough and then finish the race.
You're thinking of "Imprezive" in the WRX STI. "Slip and Slide" is part of the Super Sports DLC.

one_kill said:
Get in the Porsche 911 GT2 RS and free-roam to Oakmont Valley (a road in the middle of the map with two loops). It might help if you can get the roads to be wet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHY_dK3S640&t=0m22s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xltmAKvR4d8&t=0m53s

Just try to maintain a constant speed around 160 mph through the turn and use light control on the analog stick, being careful not to oversteer or understeer. You should be able to get it after a few tries.

DasRaven

New DLC Announced: http://www.criteriongames.com/
HD Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olkCwXwd9w4

Armed and Dangerous - out 22nd Feb.

Armed and Dangerous brings you two all-new game modes - "Most Wanted" is an open world battle where the cops are out to bust a specific racer whilst the racers battle to protect them. Use the open world, weapons and team tactics to win. "Arms Race" is free-for-all racing with all weapons active. Get three new achievements and trophies. Get it for $6.99 or €6.99 (560 Microsoft Points) on the PlayStation®Network or Xbox LIVE™ Marketplace.

Lamborghini Untamed - out 1st March.

Lamborghini Untamed adds Cop and Racer versions of the legendary Lamborghini Diablo, Countach and Sesto Elemento. We've got 10 new events and 4 new achievements and trophies. Get it for $6.99 or €6.99 on the PlayStation Network or 560 Microsoft Points on Xbox LIVE Marketplace.

Porsche Unleashed - out 8th March.

Porsche Unleashed brings you yet more Porsche love - the classic '82 Porsche 911 Turbo, Porsche 959 and 911 Speedster. Check out 10 new events and 4 new trophies and achievements. Get it for $6.99 or €6.99 on the PlayStation Network or 560 Microsoft Points on Xbox LIVE Marketplace.

A bit spendy, but probably worth it.

Damn, 21 dollars for all three ... as much as i love the game, 6 cars and 2 gameplay modes are just not worth it, especially when its going to be impossible to even have the game modes playable online

Curufinwe

No way will I be paying $21 for that. $7 for the Super Sports DLC was fine, but this is taking the piss.

And if I don't get the update I can keep my 100% Trophy number. :)

jred2k

I haven't played this in a while. Have they made it so you can play on a team with your friends yet or is matchmaking still the fuck up it was when the game launched?

Curufinwe

Before he stopped posting the NFS PR guy said the PC was lucky to get the game at all. He didn't say that in a rude way - he was just stating the fact that originally NFS:HP was only going to be released on the 360 and the PS3, but at some point it was decided that the expected returns justified using time and resources to make a PC version.

It was also apparently decided that the expected returns from making DLC for the PC version could not be justified.

Pandemic

The Armed and Dangerous DLC is pretty exciting,
''On Feb 22nd Armed & Dangerous brings two new online game modes and 3 achievements/trophies. “Most Wanted” is an open world battle where the cops are out to bust a specific racer whilst the racers battle to protect them.''

Mainly the Most Wanted online mode.

iNvid02

Curufinwe said:
Before he stopped posting the NFS PR guy said the PC was lucky to get the game at all. He didn't say that in a rude way - he was just stating the fact that originally NFS:HP was only going to be released on the 360 and the PS3, but at some point it was decided that the expected returns justified using time and resources to make a PC version.

It was also apparently decided that the expected returns from making DLC for the PC version could not be justified.

ah yeah i remember. guess i'll keep my ps3 version because those new modes look fun, im ok with paying $7 for them just not for a bullshit car pack. on second thought those modes should really have been included in the first place, 3 modes at launch is terrible. i sort of hate how dlc does this to games

CozMick

Banned
Since when did Criterion (or is that EA) become greedy bastards?

They practically gave an extra game away with Burnout Paradise.

bridegur

CozMick said:
Since when did Criterion (or is that EA) become greedy bastards?

They practically gave an extra game away with Burnout Paradise.

And they practically sold half a game with Hot Pursuit.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Hot Pursuit is definitely a very shallow package, missing the most basic of options such as a sandbox mode to set up custom races / events to play with its open world in.

The problem is that these DLC packs do give an impression of nickle and diming in context of Criterion's paid DLC for Burnout Paradise. Look how much content one got in Big Surf Island, for the price...

Curufinwe

I don't know about shallow. I got 40 hours out of it and I only played the multiplayer enough to get the multiplayer trophies.

I got bored of Burnout Paradise after about 15 hours.

Oneself

The game feels complete to me... I think it's just that the downloadable content packs are overpriced.

Also, next time, they need to come out with a new location or something, they keep adding new events in the same tracks we've race on times & times.

DonMigs85

Oneself said:
The game feels complete to me... I think it's just that the downloadable content packs are overpriced.
Also, next time, they need to come out with a new location or something, they keep adding new events in the same tracks we've race on times & times.
Indeed. It's almost at the level of the insane Metal Sonic DLC for Sonic All-Stars Racing.

iNvid02

wait, the pc version got super sports dlc in the 1.02 patch. so it might eventually get this too after a while or is it definitley no.

i just played hot pursuit on pc (2560x1600 @ 60fps) and i dont wanna go back to ps3

Top Bottom