• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit |OT| Do you have the Need for Speed?

fernoca

Ugh, the Wii version is so bad is just unbelievable. Rented it thinking, well it may be fun at least but it isn't.

I mean, they could've easily asked Criterion if they still had the code for the Burnout game for the GameCube, port that and throw some new cars (or just change the colors and the names) and it would've looked and play way better than this one.

Kweh

I am looking to sell on Hot Pursuit, but the game has this online pass which gives access to multiplayer elements. Is it access to the DLC or to play the game online? If it's the latter, then it's going to devalue it somewhat.

DasRaven

Kweh said:
I am looking to sell on Hot Pursuit, but the game has this online pass which gives access to multiplayer elements. Is it access to the DLC or to play the game online? If it's the latter, then it's going to devalue it somewhat.

It is rights to online play. 2nd owners can buy their own online pass from the store for $15.
That will devalue the game's used pricing somewhat, but you can also see it as a reward to original buyers.
And when this game was widely available for $40 on the first week, you can't really complain about reduced value used.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
fernoca said:
Ugh, the Wii version is so bad is just unbelievable. Rented it thinking, well it may be fun at least but it isn't.

I mean, they could've easily asked Criterion if they still had the code for the Burnout game for the GameCube, port that and throw some new cars (or just change the colors and the names) and it would've looked and play way better than this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCbYYGJzEY4

Whoever made this port should be ashamed they are taking people's money. That really is unfair. I think there are better looking and playing iPhone racing games than that... in fact I know that the Burnout games on PSP look and play better than that.

That looks like a community college game design class project.... just wow.

cantona222

Wohoo.
I got Gold on all Racer events, and Distinct in all Cop events. However I'm still lvl 19 as a racer and 14 as a cop. I need to get 20 on both. Then I'll try to clean up some achievements to get the 1000 points ;) Wish me luck.

The game is kinda long. It took me 48 hours to get all the above, and I'm not done yet.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
cantona222 said:
Wohoo.
I got Gold on all Racer events, and Distinct in all Cop events. However I'm still lvl 19 as a racer and 14 as a cop. I need to get 20 on both. Then I'll try to clean up some achievements to get the 1000 points ;) Wish me luck.

The game is kinda long. It took me 48 hours to get all the above, and I'm not done yet.

Holy smokes. I'm only about ten hours in and Lv 8 and 9.

About what level do you "clear" all the new events? I feel like just when I am getting close to unlocking all of the events, a couple new ones pop up. I don't know if I can go for all Gold/Distinctions. I've done a few that just seemed like they would take eternal patience. I love this game, but the Restart takes too long... haha I think that's what's going to seal it for me going back and trying to do everything perfect.

... I also tried Interceptor online, and yeah that thing is broken. It seems unfair for the cop, I was the racer and it's easy as hell to run turn direction and run away. They should have forced you to hit a finish line, like in a Hot Pursuit race, in a certain time limit that way you can't just change direction and give the cop a chance to actually nab you.

cantona222

Adam Prime said:
About what level do you "clear" all the new events?
I can say Racer:13, Cop:13 that's if getting a Bronze/pass is enough for you.
Here is a hint of a racer event that will let you know you are getting to the credits soon:
The track is too long. It's about a 50 mile race, and you need more than 13 minutes to finish the race. When you are in this race. That means your are at the end of the game

Adam Prime said:
... I also tried Interceptor online, and yeah that thing is broken. .......
Playing with strangers online in this game is not that fun for me. I only did the minimum to get the Achievements I wanted :p

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
cantona222 said:
I can say Racer:13, Cop:13 that's if getting a Bronze/pass is enough for you.
Here is a hint of a racer event that will let you know you are getting to the credits soon:
The track is too long. It's about a 50 mile race, and you need more than 13 minutes to finish the race. When you are in this race. That means your are at the end of the game

Playing with strangers online in this game is not that fun for me. I only did the minimum to get the Achievements I wanted :p

Ah wow, that's pretty early. Oh well, if I do want to go back try for Distinctions and Medals I guess that's going to give me a lot of leway into grinding events over and over before I hit level 20.

Yeah, online mode hasn't really captured me. I prefer offline just because the frame rate is smoother, I don't have cars cutting in and out of frame, and it's just more stable than racing online. I find that the cars in the normal single player game behave realistically enough to online racers that it doesn't feel any different at all.

_RT_

Can someone please confirm:

I was about to purchase this on ebay and a review indicated that there is a unique serial code needed to play online that can only be used once.

Yes? No?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
_RT_ said:
Can someone please confirm:

I was about to purchase this on ebay and a review indicated that there is a unique serial code needed to play online that can only be used once.

Yes? No?
This is correct.

cantona222

I got almost all of the Achievements. Getting to lvl 20 as a cop and racer are the pending ones. I'm currently lvl 16 as a cop, and lvl 19 as a racer. I need a lot of grinding to reach level 20 on both. I dunno if I have the patience........ Any tips?

iNvid02

i got through to phase 2 of the competition, i think its one more and the fastest gets the 3dtv.

phase 2 was summit assault scpd on eagle crest, you gotta get fastest time you can. i hit 40 seconds and im pretty sure im going to phase 3

cantona222

iNvidious01 said:
i got through to phase 2 of the competition, i think its one more and the fastest gets the 3dtv.

phase 2 was summit assault scpd on eagle crest, you gotta get fastest time you can. i hit 40 seconds and im pretty sure im going to phase 3
Dude, give us a small introduction first. I read your post 2 times in order to understand that there is a tournament of some kind that you are participating in. I thought that the "phases" thing is related to the career of the single player !!! :p

cantona222 said:
Dude, give us a small introduction first. I read your post 2 times in order to understand that there is a tournament of some kind that you are participating in. I thought that the "phases" thing is related to the career of the single player !!! :p

IGN is running some sort of tournament where each phase is a condition set for the racers to complete and the top XX move on to the next phase and people get eliminated in each phase

Curufinwe

cantona222 said:
I got almost all of the Achievements. Getting to lvl 20 as a cop and racer are the pending ones. I'm currently lvl 16 as a cop, and lvl 19 as a racer. I need a lot of grinding to reach level 20 on both. I dunno if I have the patience........ Any tips?

http://www.ps3trophies.org/game/need-for-speed-hot-pursuit/guide/

Here is a list of events you can try to get points quickly as a cop:

* Run to the Hills (15,000 points every 4 mins)
* End Of The Line (30,000 points every 6 mins)
* Chase 101 (6,000 for every 25 seconds + loading time)

Here is a list of events you can try to get points quickly as a racer:

* Coral Bay: Power Strip
* Coral Bay: Seacrest Tour
* Grand Ocean Coast: V12 For Victory

big_z

who here is still playing this on 360? im looking to add some people to get the achievements and for some added competitions when grinding levels or online.

daw840

big_z said:
who here is still playing this on 360? im looking to add some people to get the achievements and for some added competitions when grinding levels or online.

I am, GT DarkQberto. I haven't played much lately, but it's definitely still in my rotation. I am really pissed that Shift 2 is coming out so quick though. :(

Shaneus

Fuuuck, the PC performance of this game is still pissing me off. Despite my best efforts I'm still unable to get a solid 60fps, despite disabling crossfire and several other features. My PC (Q9550OC w/ 2x5850s) should be able to kick the arse of this game.

Still, I am having fun when I'm not distracted by the horrible port Criterion have done!

cantona222

Curufinwe said:
http://www.ps3trophies.org/game/need-for-speed-hot-pursuit/guide/

Here is a list of events you can try to get points quickly as a cop:

* Run to the Hills (15,000 points every 4 mins)
* End Of The Line (30,000 points every 6 mins)
* Chase 101 (6,000 for every 25 seconds + loading time)

Here is a list of events you can try to get points quickly as a racer:

* Coral Bay: Power Strip
* Coral Bay: Seacrest Tour
* Grand Ocean Coast: V12 For Victory

Thanks, I'll try grinding using your tips.

big_z said:
I'm still playing. Add me: Cantona222
What's your GamerTag?

BeeDog

Sorry for bumping this, but I'm looking for PS3 players who have the Super Sports DLC Pack. I want to get the "Biteback" trophy ("Beat a friends recommendation in the Bugatti Veyron 16.4 Super Sport") but I only have one guy on my friend list with it, and I can't beat his times. :( (curse you grandben!) Thanks in advance.

daw840

Anyone else have a problem with it randomly disconnecting you from the autolog? I have to dashboard it and restart the game to reconnect. What the hell his that?

crispyben

BeeDog said:
Sorry for bumping this, but I'm looking for PS3 players who have the Super Sports DLC Pack. I want to get the "Biteback" trophy ("Beat a friends recommendation in the Bugatti Veyron 16.4 Super Sport") but I only have one guy on my friend list with it, and I can't beat his times. :( (curse you grandben!) Thanks in advance.
For once I am not the worst GAFer at a game! You could beat me if I had more recent times...

Curufinwe

BeeDog said:

Curufinwe5503 is my PSN name and I have the Super Sports DLC.

BeeDog

I finally got that trophy, so no need to hunt for people with the DLC (since you can also get it on the regular stages as well). But feel free to add me if you want to compete against my Autolog times (PSN nick is the same as my GAF handle) :)

Pimpbaa

Shaneus said:
Fuuuck, the PC performance of this game is still pissing me off. Despite my best efforts I'm still unable to get a solid 60fps, despite disabling crossfire and several other features. My PC (Q9550OC w/ 2x5850s) should be able to kick the arse of this game.

Still, I am having fun when I'm not distracted by the horrible port Criterion have done!

You should be getting a solid 60fps. I am getting a solid 60fps with a i7 950 and a single geforce 460.

Shaneus

Yeah, I know... pretty sure that just disabling crossfire for games that don't support it is enough. Frustrating but once I get over the framerate I still have fun :)

Hoping there's some update to the Catalyst drivers with some specific optimisations...

YagizY

Is anyone using a steering wheel for this game? I'm using the DFGT on the PS3 and I'm having hard time making turns. I don't really "get" drifting. I usually lose control of the car and just slam into a wall. Any tips?

Let off the gas for a half a second or so to steer the car into the direction you want it to go, then jump right back on the gas. You shouldn't have to use any brakes, they'll slow you down too much. Using the DS3, I approach the turn from the outside and tap the gas 4-5 times in rapid succession while steering into the turn until I'm facing and drifting the right direction. If I get too out of control, I'll use a little nitrous to get me back in the right place before I finish using most/all of it out of the turn to get back up to speed.

I don't know how difficult pumping the gas would be on the DFGT since I've yet to buy one for myself.

Scored all gold medals as a Cop and am now going for all golds as a Racer.

Jesus Christ are the last few races a pain in the ass. I'm doing a duel race against the CCXR but of course with the bull shit AI it's able to drive flawlessly on the wet, snowy mountaintop and I don't like how the Bugatti handles.

I already tried that 45-mile race and placed 2nd at the last fucking second. It's like if you aren't in 1st by the time you hit the highway, you're done. Can't stop playing it but goddamn I'm annoyed!

iNvid02

twinturbo2 said:
Any news on any more DLC? Or is the Super Sports Pack it?

they might be focusing on shift 2, even though criterion aren't working on it maybe they want people to buy that instead of more dlc.

this is the one game where i would buy a few more packs of dlc but they aren't doing it

DasRaven

iNvidious01 said:
they might be focusing on shift 2, even though criterion aren't working on it maybe they want people to buy that instead of more dlc.

this is the one game where i would buy a few more packs of dlc but they aren't doing it

I hope there's at least one more DLC pack. I just got back to this game after buying SuperSports and never playing it. Finishing out the events and LVL20 on both careers now.
There's a whole lot of uncharted land in SeaCrest Co.

newsguy

I don't play many online games, but this has been the game I have played most online in a long time. It's amazing how addictive it is.

Goldrusher

Adam Prime said:
Congrats, what were the toughest events? Police time trails?
If you're a good racer, the game is fair, but challenging. No event is impossible.

Hardest was the McLaren F1 racer time trial. On the cop side, a lot of events require a bit of luck, as sometimes the bad guys hit the road blocks, sometimes they don't.

Also know you can disable the police lights, which can be very distracting, especially in nighttime events and in tunnels.

JadedOne

Goldrusher said:
If you're a good racer, the game is fair, but challenging. No event is impossible.

Hardest was the McLaren F1 racer time trial. On the cop side, a lot of events require a bit of luck, as sometimes the bad guys hit the road blocks, sometimes they don't.

Also know you can disable the police lights, which can be very distracting, especially in nighttime events and in tunnels.

You can disable the police lights?! How?! That's my main problem with the cop night missions.

big_z

JadedOne said:
You can disable the police lights?! How?! That's my main problem with the cop night missions.

hold Y for a couple seconds. i've never done a race with the lights and sirens going, annoying as hell.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
iNvidious01 said:

That stinks, hopefully they start the DLC again once Shift 2 is out.

Or Criterion gets busy on making a new Burnout...

Aspiring

So this game is fairly cheap now, was going to pick it up today, is online still good? And is the game OK on PS3 or would it be better to get the 360 version?

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Gooster said:
I already tried that 45-mile race and placed 2nd at the last fucking second. It's like if you aren't in 1st by the time you hit the highway, you're done. Can't stop playing it but goddamn I'm annoyed!

:lol The same thing happened to me! I lost in the last half mile, and I was way ahead of third place. Oh well, I'll give it a run later.

So this game is fairly cheap now, was going to pick it up today, is online still good? And is the game OK on PS3 or would it be better to get the 360 version?

I played online PS3 today, it's still fairly active, I have no problem getting into a game. My only problem with it is that I see no other reason to play over the single player missions other than the Race, because then you can actually do a race without rubber banding. Interceptor online is broken, it's way too easy to ditch a human police car by jamming the radar then U-turning and taking a side path. But the time the radar comes back on, you're going in the opposite direction 200mph, chase over. And you can get into an occasional good Hot Pursuit matches, but usually it boils down to too much space between all the racers and cops. It's not as action packed as the Single player events where the cops show up wherever you are on the course.

I mean, EVERYONE who has played this game has been a victim to losing the race at the last possible second because of the AI rubber banding back into the lead at the last possible second. But it makes for exciting races. You're on the "right side" of that equation more than half the times it seems. I've only completed all the Racer events but I feel like I was the one who rubber banded past the AI at the last second more times than the AI doing it to me.

In a way, I LIKE the rubber banding. This is by far one of the most exciting racing games because of it. Unless you have a Type A personality where you must be a perfectionist every time out, I didn't mind at all finishing second in the races. If I ever lost at the last second it was always: "Ah bullshit! Oh well, I'll just redo the race because that was a lot of fun". I think that in the end is what it all boils down to you, I think the game is a ton of fun and I don't mind doing the same events over and over because the driving is so enjoyable.

Kingpen

I'm at level 8 for cop and also for racer.

Does the gameplay get drastically different from here on out? I'm thinking this might be good trade bait now... Would I be missing a whole lot from the game (1p game) if I don't finish it up?

Top Bottom