• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit |OT| Do you have the Need for Speed?

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
One thing that irks me about this game is why is it when you're the police you're encourage to do dangerous driving to fill up your nitrous? Wouldn't it be wiser to make it that the law abiding police get nitrous for driving on the correct side of the road?

Gen X said:
One thing that irks me about this game is why is it when you're the police you're encourage to do dangerous driving to fill up your nitrous? Wouldn't it be wiser to make it that the law abiding police get nitrous for driving on the correct side of the road?

I haven't even played this game yet, but seriously, little design decisions like that ... you just wonder why disconnects like that exist in the first place. I mean, is there a single gamer (above the age of 12, to be fair) who would disagree with you here? And if not, where are these devs coming from?

You guys are too damn bitchy. It's a game for fucks sake; learn to enjoy it.

In other news, I got all gold medals today. Had all distinctions for a while. Enjoying online lots.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
salva said:
You guys are too damn bitchy. It's a game for fucks sake; learn to enjoy it.

I do enjoy the game, it's just something I noticed when I first started playing and thought I'd mention it.

Ikopi

Gen X said:

Er .. Doesn't the police nitrous fill automatically? I thought it filled up slowly even when I was driving on the correct side of the road, should check again though.

DSc

Yeah, what are you on about? Police nitrous doesn't fill from driving in oncoming or near misses. It fills automatically. I think you get a boost for slipstreaming.

Gowans

I Keep falling through the ground of a tunnel 5.4 from finish I do the Power Struggle event. In doing with the striking moss.

How do I get past this bug?
I have to reboot my 360 to restart :(

Shaneus

Gen X said:
You, law abiding :lol

If anyone would be kind of enough to help me get the "Socialite" achievement, it would be much appreciated. I really want to S-rank this little gem. Gamertag: Welcome to Die.

Mar

Gen X said:

It doesn't. The racers get nitrous for doing that, the police do not get any bonus nitrous for any of those things.

I've now completed both modes of the game and have gold on all events. I really can't put my finger on it, but there's something stopping me really loving the game. I like it, but the 'fuck yeah' moments are short lived. For every time I start to get really into the game and believe it to be extraordinary, in about 10 minutes I start to question that feeling, and I still don't know why that is. I don't find it frustrating, I don't get annoyed with the random traffic (to the contrary, I love random elements in games as it keeps it dynamic and interesting). I think I just get bored after a while?

I can't say enough how much I hate the unskippable reward cut scenes though. When all I want to do is restart an event, having a reward come up and then show me a cut scene that I don't care about that takes me all the way back to the map is infuriating. The worse ones are the equipment upgrades. It's cool having equipment upgraded, but why do I have to watch a completely useless cut scene about it? They are completely imaginary items and worse, the parts they show on screen wouldn't even fit in most of the cars in the game. That doesn't matter of course, reality isn't represented in this game and I don't fault them for that. But having to watch those when all I want to do is retry an event shits me to no end.

I would have liked to have unlocked a mode at the end of the game where you can play any event regardless of class with any car you want. That would have kept my interest for a bit longer, though granted it would break the leaderboards. Perhaps there could have been a practice mode for every event allowing all cars? I don't know. I just love tearing down roads in the Mclaren F1, that's when the game is at its best in my opinion.

Originally I thought I'd like the cop events more but gravitated to the racer events and completed that much earlier than the other. Initially I didn't mind the rapid response events but later began to hate them. Probably as the cars got faster it became more annoying to play those.

I'll be doing a proper review on my site at some stage but I'm going to wait until I can get a good deal of time with the online mode. I have played a bit of it but have had no internet for the past few weeks so want to get stuck into it again before I cast my final verdict. For now though it's a good game but gets boring during long play sessions.

Curufinwe said:
It's not hard to guess.

Shame, though. He gave some good insight into the game.

Well, hopefully you're not guessing that I was fired or anything, cause I definitely wasn't.

The online marketing and community management team is just one of many teams working at EA, and we all have the same goals. Some members of my team and the other teams would prefer that I stay closer to the approved marketing messages than I have.

And that's totally fair, because we all have to trust each other if we're going to work together.
But IMO neogaf isn't the place for that. You guys are all well informed, you know where to get that kind of information. I don't need to be some kind of news bot, alerting you to the latest developments.

CM is a new thing, everybody is trying to figure out new ways to engage the community and earn trust, without stepping on toes. Posting here was an idea that I undertook because I felt like GAF was a high concentration of informed, passionate games. Centers of influence, the type of people that let their friends and other people know what games are worth checking out. And I'm sure I was right about that. But I still have PR lines to walk, and it can be tricky.

And like I said, if you guys have questions, hit us up on twitter or Facebook. We'll answer everything we can. :)

scitek

Mar said:
It doesn't. The racers get nitrous for doing that, the police do not get any bonus nitrous for any of those things.

I've now completed both modes of the game and have gold on all events. I really can't put my finger on it, but there's something stopping me really loving the game. I like it, but the 'fuck yeah' moments are short lived. For every time I start to get really into the game and believe it to be extraordinary, in about 10 minutes I start to question that feeling, and I still don't know why that is. I don't find it frustrating, I don't get annoyed with the random traffic (to the contrary, I love random elements in games as it keeps it dynamic and interesting). I think I just get bored after a while?

I can't say enough how much I hate the unskippable reward cut scenes though. When all I want to do is restart an event, having a reward come up and then show me a cut scene that I don't care about that takes me all the way back to the map is infuriating. The worse ones are the equipment upgrades. It's cool having equipment upgraded, but why do I have to watch a completely useless cut scene about it? They are completely imaginary items and worse, the parts they show on screen wouldn't even fit in most of the cars in the game. That doesn't matter of course, reality isn't represented in this game and I don't fault them for that. But having to watch those when all I want to do is retry an event shits me to no end.

I would have liked to have unlocked a mode at the end of the game where you can play any event regardless of class with any car you want. That would have kept my interest for a bit longer, though granted it would break the leaderboards. Perhaps there could have been a practice mode for every event allowing all cars? I don't know. I just love tearing down roads in the Mclaren F1, that's when the game is at its best in my opinion.

Originally I thought I'd like the cop events more but gravitated to the racer events and completed that much earlier than the other. Initially I didn't mind the rapid response events but later began to hate them. Probably as the cars got faster it became more annoying to play those.

I'll be doing a proper review on my site at some stage but I'm going to wait until I can get a good deal of time with the online mode. I have played a bit of it but have had no internet for the past few weeks so want to get stuck into it again before I cast my final verdict. For now though it's a good game but gets boring during long play sessions.

I think that cutscene complaint is just Criterion being Criterion. They're a very arrogant developer. It's not a bad thing, per se, but they're just a very proud bunch. Every single Burnout game has those cutscenes, but for some reason in Burnout Paradise they saw fit to make them super-annoying. I remember turning off the Takedown cutscenes in Burnout Revenge on the Xbox because they interrupted the flow of the races, but there was no option to do that in Paradise. Almost like, "we made these cutscenes, they're not going to waste!"

Also, the lack of a retry option in Paradise for-fucking-ever because it "wasn't how the game was meant to be played" or whatever reason they gave was I think just an example of the attitude they have. You get the feeling that they think we're not just playing any Need For Speed game, it's Criterion's Need For Speed. We should be so lucky!

Still, I'm enjoying the game, but I can't stand the Rapid Response races. Really, I think they're just a bad idea. And the damage system on the takedowns is way too picky in Hot Pursuit. If I slam a racer into a wall, or get in front of him and knock the front half of him with my ass-end, it should still do damage to him. Instead, it seems like I really have to hit him from behind for it to count. It can be really annoying when I lay into someone really hard and I don't see the meter budge.

scitek

The Antitype said:
Well, hopefully you're not guessing that I was fired or anything, cause I definitely wasn't.

Nah, I think he was getting at the notion that Sony and Microsoft might not appreciate you spilling the beans on their "stern talking-tos" and whatnot since they probably have people that read these boards. I think you being here is awesome, personally, but I can understand why you'd stop posting. Tough to have things you wanna say here but ultimately can't. That's why you should just make another account and start posting anonymously. :D

EDIT: Sorry for the DP.

EDIT2: You see my vid, BTW? It'll probably be taken down again soon, so hurry! Show it to your co-workers, too. It's a testament to how much I like the game. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUUz6A6IofQ

Well, from what I've noticed, you do get bonuses for near misses and drifting. Which, to be completely honest, is pretty damn dangerous.

Still, it's the best racing experience from 2010. I just love taking down a whole slew of street racing scum bags.

Curufinwe

The Antitype said:

The online marketing and community management team is just one of many teams working at EA, and we all have the same goals. Some members of my team and the other teams would prefer that I stay closer to the approved marketing messages than I have.

My guess was just that someone at EA thought you were being a little too candid on here.

Oh well, it was fun while it lasted. :D

Curufinwe

scitek said:
Still, I'm enjoying the game, but I can't stand the Rapid Response races. Really, I think they're just a bad idea.

I really enjoy those races, even though are often extremely frustrating. It's nice to have one, fairly small section of the games that demands Wipeout-style precision instead of allowing you to bump off walls and other cars with no real penalty.

scitek said:
And the damage system on the takedowns is way too picky in Hot Pursuit. If I slam a racer into a wall, or get in front of him and knock the front half of him with my ass-end, it should still do damage to him. Instead, it seems like I really have to hit him from behind for it to count. It can be really annoying when I lay into someone really hard and I don't see the meter budge.

I agree with this 100%.

scitek

Curufinwe said:
I really enjoy those races, even though are often extremely frustrating. It's nice to have one, fairly small section of the games that demands Wipeout-style precision instead of allowing you to bump off walls and other cars with no real penalty.

I can see that. And, to be fair, they aren't really hard at all to pass, just get a gold in. So progression in the game isn't hampered by their difficulty.

EDIT: I need more friends on the PC. My name's "fdupdon"

V_Ben

Banned
Aww, sad to see The Antitype having to go, it was nice to see such a transparent community manager. Game is being discounted somewhat over here, so I'm going to be picking up the PS3 version in a sale when I get back to Uni :D Can't wait :)

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
Curufinwe said:
I agree with this 100%.

Getting in front then slamming on the brake doesn't do anything either. It's really annoying that I am forced to slow down so that the car can get in front of me, so that I can take him down. If I've used up all my spike strips, slamming the brake in front of the car should at least take SOME damage.

Ah, that's nice then. The only NFS games that I've liked are the older ones.

It's raw fun. It's like back in the old days. You pick the controler up, and you enjoy the game. it feels natural, familliar, yet, brand new. You don't ask yourself for the first ours " can I do this ? Oh no... I can't... " you just do.

I had no such a pleasure arcade racing experience since Burnout 3. Paradise was really awesome, but it's not the same at all. It's just this good, it's feels natural and compelling the moment you start racing.

gragy10

Been waiting over 2 weeks for play.com to deliver my PC version. Sod's law dictated that shortly after I ordered the disc copy it turned up in the steam sale :lol

Question for Xbox 360 players of the game:

A couple buddies and I played about 60 hours of Burnout Revenge, and after initially writing this game off as just another NfS game, it actually looks awesome! Question is, in the Hot Pursuit mode, it splits you into two different sides (obviously). If you're in a party, will it split party members up, or can the same three people be on the same side every time?

THANKS!

jred2k

It splits you up, the party system in this game is really shitty. You have to create a private game, invite your friends, then make it public and hope other people join. Then once the game starts it randomly assigns teams.

I really can't believe that in 2010/11 developers still do shit like that.

newsguy

jred2k said:
It splits you up, the party system in this game is really shitty. You have to create a private game, invite your friends, then make it public and hope other people join. Then once the game starts it randomly assigns teams.

I really can't believe that in 2010/11 developers still do shit like that.

Damn, I've had this game since launch, but I have no friends playing it. Now that I convinced a friend to buy it, this is bad news. I guess if you luck out and get put on the same side, you stay on the same team until people start to leave the room. It's not all bad to EMP my newb buddy off a mountainside tho

scitek

Okay, the further I get into the game, the more I ask "What the fuck were you thinking, Criterion?" The Rapid Response races are such gutter trash. They're some of the worst thought-out events in racing game history. Am I or am I not playing as a cop? In what version of America does the traffic not pull to the side of the road when a cop is coming, let alone honk their horns as a cop passes them with his siren blaring? Seriously stupid stuff, and the penalties are totally ridiculous. Who the fuck cares if a cop brushes a guard-rail on the way to a call? GTFO with this shit.

Curufinwe

The Rapid Response can be very frustrating and luck plays a part, but they are also thrilling and a great test of skill. Have you tried sucking less? The whole game is unrealistic so complaining about traffic not pulling over is ridiculous.

I finished the last racer events last night and I finally noticed that Criterion apparently think that 12:00AM is noon and 12:00PM is midnight, heh.

scitek

Curufinwe said:
The Rapid Response can be very frustrating and luck plays a part, but they are also thrilling and a great test of skill. Have you tried sucking less? The whole game is unrealistic so complaining about traffic not pulling over is ridiculous.

I finished the last racer events last night and I finally noticed that Criterion apparently think that 12:00AM is noon and 12:00PM is midnight, heh.

Really? It's ridiculous to complain about shit design now? I didn't say I can't beat them, did I? They just suck. :p

Is there a trick to using a wheel with this game? I played a couple races and I'm kind of all over the place and can't really get into a good drift.

I have the Fanatec wheel so I was able to adjust the deadzone and such and made it feel a lot better but drifting is tricky ... just practice?

Also, does it not support the shifter? I couldn't find an auto/manual option.

I think this game might be a little tricker later on because I'll have to use the D-pad and such.

Barberetti said:
Gah! Trying to love this game, I really am, but the fucking cutscenes are driving me up the wall! They are hands down the most annoying thing I have experienced in a game ever!

I'm in a race, neck and neck with another car at 200mph, with a cop car so close behind me that he might as well be trying to get an EMP lock on my fucking colon, when *BAM*, cutscene to a cop car parked half a mile down the road!

LIKE I CARE! THAT CAR IS THE LEAST IMPORTANT VEHICLE WITHIN A MILE RADIUS OF MY POSISION AT THIS PRECISE MOMENT IN TIME, SO GET IT THE FUCK OUT OF MY FACE!

*lays spike strip*

*BAM*, cutscene to the copper behind me hitting my spike strip, right at the moment that the car I was neck and neck with WHO IS NOW IN FRONT OF ME THANKS TO THE LAST CUTSCENE PUTTING ME OFF MY DRIVING dumps a spike strip in the road right in front of me!

AARRGGHH!

RANT

RAGE!!!

Someone please tell me that it's possible to disable this shit! The person who thought this was a good idea should be ... should be ... GIVEN A STERN TELLING OFF!

this is actually one of my favorite parts of the game. cutscenes are rewards.. the computer controls your car extremely well for a short period of time.

sure i've had a few instances where the cutscenes fuck me over, but there are many more situation where they make me feel like an awesome badass.

scitek

Curufinwe said:
It's not shit design to have traffic on the road that you have to avoid.

Oh, there's LOTS of shitty things in Hot Pursuit. Strategically placed, braindead traffic that stops irrationally on a dime is just one.

blame space said:
this is actually one of my favorite parts of the game. cutscenes are rewards.. the computer controls your car extremely well for a short period of time.

sure i've had a few instances where the cutscenes fuck me over, but there are many more situation where they make me feel like an awesome badass.

Being spawned on top of other racers after a needless cutscene is something I've inexplicably experienced more than once, in addition to multiple other issues. I've also been directed into a roadblock by the CPU after a cutscene, and forced to hit my own spike strip after a cutscene, which I had pressed the button to have deployed 4 seconds earlier.

scitek said:
Really? It's ridiculous to complain about shit design now? I didn't say I can't beat them, did I? They just suck. :p

it SUCKS and the design is SHIT because it's UNREALISTIC

i'm behind you brother.. Criterion is not representing Real America with this game.

scitek

blame space said:
it SUCKS and the design is SHIT because it's UNREALISTIC

i'm behind you brother.. Criterion is not representing Real America with this game.

The lack of realism isn't the issue, it's the expectation of precision with such shitty physics in place. Physics that were just as problematic in Burnout Paradise and weren't addressed in the interim. The spawning issues I mentioned above were also present in Paradise. Thankfully, I haven't been placed backwards in a race after crashing yet.

Keikoku

Banned
So how is the PC version of this game ? I remember that I couldn't get more than 15-20 FPS with Shift for some reason, even with everything on low... with and HD 4890.

hamchan

Are people supposed to pull over for cops? Aren't they supposed to not make any movements so the cops can go around them without suddenly getting surprised? I don't really know American road rules.

Top Bottom