• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit |OT| Do you have the Need for Speed?

JRW

Played a little bit on 360 at a friends house and now its making me want to buy PC version. Only downside to 360 version is the 30fps cap.

newsguy

Guys, I need help. Maybe the community guys know something about this. I have a 360 in the bedroom and one in the living room. I switch the HD back and forth when I want to go to one or the other. This last time I switched, NFS freaked out. It refuses o recognize my saved game. So every time I start up, it tells me thanks for redeeming my code etc., then it plays that damn trailer. My profile is fine, the save is there, and all my other games load fine. Please help.

EDIT: I'm assuming it has to do with the fact that the game auto saves and loads. I'm looking somewhere for a load option because I can see the saves in my profile, the game just doesn't recognize them.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I really need to jump back into this game. I haven't had time to play much recently. But I am loving it.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
While I love the autolog I think it could have been better from competitive purist view.

Shortcuts, alternative routes, whatever you wish to call them, are crap by default in a racing game. They should never exist and only bring down the enjoyment of the game. Having said that, i do wish that autolog would distinguish which times were achieved by using the alternative routes or if they were a "pure" time. Having say an (A) next to the time would let players know this was done by using alternative routes.

If I was able to see that a friend has beaten my time by 5 seconds and we both did it in a pure form then I would have reason to go back and try to beat his time . To figure out what corners he took differently, drifts and lines throughout the track would bring out a real sense of competitive nature. To see that he is 5 seconds quicker now makes me go oh, fucking alternative routes.

Also a replay feature like sc2 would have been awesome. Every game should have that now, especially on pc, Share replays, tips and help friends become better.

Im still enjoying it, dont worry PR guy :D . Seeing fellow ausgaffers beating my times by .50 gives me reason to go back and kick their ass or at least try to.

Hawk SE

I do wish there was still a World Leaderboard to compare against. Like most games have you cycle to get to the Friends leaderboard. This game should just have you cycle to get to the World Leaderboards.

newsguy said:
Guys, I need help. Maybe the community guys know something about this. I have a 360 in the bedroom and one in the living room. I switch the HD back and forth when I want to go to one or the other. This last time I switched, NFS freaked out. It refuses o recognize my saved game. So every time I start up, it tells me thanks for redeeming my code etc., then it plays that damn trailer. My profile is fine, the save is there, and all my other games load fine. Please help.

EDIT: I'm assuming it has to do with the fact that the game auto saves and loads. I'm looking somewhere for a load option because I can see the saves in my profile, the game just doesn't recognize them.

It shouldn't have anything to do with auto-saving and loading unless you removed the hard-drive while the game was trying to save or load.

Have you tried clearing the Xbox 360 cache?

Shaneus

evlcookie said:
Im still enjoying it, dont worry PR guy :D . Seeing fellow ausgaffers beating my times by .50 gives me reason to go back and kick their ass or at least try to.
Is there a list of the AusGAFfers who have this somewhere? I haven't looked in the Community area of GAF so I'm guessing there...

On another note, are the Autolog friends cross-platform compatible? I'd love to see others on 360 and PS3 to compare with on PC.

Shaneus said:
On another note, are the Autolog friends cross-platform compatible? I'd love to see others on 360 and PS3 to compare with on PC.

We wanted to do that sooooooo bad. It was working, in game, for awhile before the first parties caught wind of it and said 'uh....no'.

We're not even allowed to say the words 'Playstation, PS3, Microsoft, Xbox 360, Apple or iPhone' on the in-game news feed because we get stern words from Sony or Microsoft. :lol

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
You should have said "no Need For Speed for you then", and then just released it solely on PC. And of course made an official statement as of why the game wasn't coming to consoles.

As of now, too few players are on PC.

Peterthumpa

StarEye said:
You should have said "no Need For Speed for you then", and then just released it solely on PC. And of course made an official statement as of why the game wasn't coming to consoles.

As of now, too few players are on PC.
NFS PC only? As much as I love my rig and the master race, money doesn't grow on trees you know.

BTW, I want the PC patch so badly, engine sounds are really low on the PC version :'(

newsguy

The Antitype said:
It shouldn't have anything to do with auto-saving and loading unless you removed the hard-drive while the game was trying to save or load.

Have you tried clearing the Xbox 360 cache?

Both systems were off. All the other games load properly. I'll try clearing the cache now.

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
felipepl said:
NFS PC only? As much as I love my rig and the master race, money doesn't grow on trees you know.

BTW, I want the PC patch so badly, engine sounds are really low on the PC version :'(

Yeah, I was only half joking. :)

Gah! Trying to love this game, I really am, but the fucking cutscenes are driving me up the wall! They are hands down the most annoying thing I have experienced in a game ever!

I'm in a race, neck and neck with another car at 200mph, with a cop car so close behind me that he might as well be trying to get an EMP lock on my fucking colon, when *BAM*, cutscene to a cop car parked half a mile down the road!

LIKE I CARE! THAT CAR IS THE LEAST IMPORTANT VEHICLE WITHIN A MILE RADIUS OF MY POSISION AT THIS PRECISE MOMENT IN TIME, SO GET IT THE FUCK OUT OF MY FACE!

*lays spike strip*

*BAM*, cutscene to the copper behind me hitting my spike strip, right at the moment that the car I was neck and neck with WHO IS NOW IN FRONT OF ME THANKS TO THE LAST CUTSCENE PUTTING ME OFF MY DRIVING dumps a spike strip in the road right in front of me!

AARRGGHH!

RANT

RAGE!!!

Someone please tell me that it's possible to disable this shit! The person who thought this was a good idea should be ... should be ... GIVEN A STERN TELLING OFF!

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Shaneus said:
Is there a list of the AusGAFfers who have this somewhere? I haven't looked in the Community area of GAF so I'm guessing there...

Not really. I should probably try to get a list of who is who and throw it up in the ausgaf thread tonight. If you're in steam chat then there's a good chance you will also get the majority of the names that way.

Fredescu

Shaneus said:
You need to come idle in Steam chat! Last count was 14 of us with NFS.

Barberetti said:
Gah! Trying to love this game, I really am, but the fucking cutscenes are driving me up the wall! They are hands down the most annoying thing I have experienced in a game ever!

I'm in a race, neck and neck with another car at 200mph, with a cop car so close behind me that he might as well be trying to get an EMP lock on my fucking colon, when *BAM*, cutscene to a cop car parked half a mile down the road!

LIKE I CARE! THAT CAR IS THE LEAST IMPORTANT VEHICLE WITHIN A MILE RADIUS OF MY POSISION AT THIS PRECISE MOMENT IN TIME, SO GET IT THE FUCK OUT OF MY FACE!

*lays spike strip*

*BAM*, cutscene to the copper behind me hitting my spike strip, right at the moment that the car I was neck and neck with WHO IS NOW IN FRONT OF ME THANKS TO THE LAST CUTSCENE PUTTING ME OFF MY DRIVING dumps a spike strip in the road right in front of me!

AARRGGHH!

RANT

RAGE!!!

Someone please tell me that it's possible to disable this shit! The person who thought this was a good idea should be ... should be ... GIVEN A STERN TELLING OFF!

I understand where you're coming from. I think the option to turn those cut-scenes off should be included. I turned them off in Burnout 3 and Burnout Revenge. I'm used to them now because of all the time I put into Burnout Paradise, where they couldn't be turned off.

The cut-scenes shouldn't cause you to actually lose ground to other racers through. They can fuck with your concentration, I understand that, but they shouldn't cause you to deviate from your current driving line or smash into anything. If you get into a cut-scene and a corner approaches, you'll automatically go through the corner...or even through a roadblock.

cantona222

The Antitype said:
If you get into a cut-scene and a corner approaches, you'll automatically go through the corner...or even through a roadblock.
Yep. I noticed that. I am trying to develop a strategy where I launch the spike strip just before a road block so that it can hit a cop or a racer, cut into a cut scene where I am guaranteed to pass the roadblock safely. It is tough to time it though :)

cantona222 said:
Yep. I noticed that. I am trying to develop a strategy where I launch the spike strip just before a road block so that it can hit a cop or a racer, cut into a cut scene where I am guaranteed to pass the roadblock safely. It is tough to time it though :)

Haha, good luck with that. If you can time it right, you deserve it.

It's great when it just happens though. You save your ass AND hurt an opponent in one fell swoop. :D

The Antitype said:
I understand where you're coming from. I think the option to turn those cut-scenes off should be included. I turned them off in Burnout 3 and Burnout Revenge. I'm used to them now because of all the time I put into Burnout Paradise, where they couldn't be turned off.

The cut-scenes shouldn't cause you to actually lose ground to other racers through. They can fuck with your concentration, I understand that, but they shouldn't cause you to deviate from your current driving line or smash into anything. If you get into a cut-scene and a corner approaches, you'll automatically go through the corner...or even through a roadblock.

Cut scene never bought me anything but good thing or event winning move. Perferct corner, spike/emp attack towards me vanishing, roadblock being in blind corner at 200mph passed without a scratch...

I understand they can be anoying to some people, but I never felt cheated by one of these.

cantona222

Guys, anyone got 1000 Gamer points in the 360 or Platinum trophy in PS3?
Also, Who is trying to go for that? I am trying, the 2 achievements that I know I will face difficulties with are: Getting gold in all racer and cop events :|

crispyben

cantona222 said:
Also, Who is trying to go for that? I am trying, the 2 achievements that I know I will face difficulties with are: Getting gold in all racer and cop events :|
Platinum'd here, though it wasn't especially difficult, just a few hair-pulling events :D

NHale

cantona222 said:

Cop events are easy. Racer events are usually harder because the rubberbanding works against you + a couple of harder events (i.e. gauntlets where you can't choose the car you want). Don't be too frustrated and if you can't Gold an event after a couple of tries, advance to another event.

BTW, did Criterion remove the time penalties for some of the rapid response and time trial events? I say this because I returned to the game after the patch and played 2/3 of both careers without playing any event with time penalties. That was a relief.

The Antitype said:

Yeah, this is the problem. The game is continuing while the cutscene is playing, so when the cutscene finishes I am not at the point I was before. This means I have to immediately re-evaluate everything that is going on around me, and I should not be having to do this in a racing game. It is causing me to make mistakes and lose races!

I have just finished another hour session (which is about all I can handle before it gets too annoying), and I am finding that I am avoiding using anything that will cause a cutscene to kick in because it might end up making my situation worse than before. This isn't good, and I'm not having much fun at all.

Next time, please make the cutscenes an option. Infuriating does not even begin to describe them.

newsguy said:
Both systems were off. All the other games load properly. I'll try clearing the cache now.

Any updates?

NHale said:
Cop events are easy. Racer events are usually harder because the rubberbanding works against you + a couple of harder events (i.e. gauntlets where you can't choose the car you want). Don't be too frustrated and if you can't Gold an event after a couple of tries, advance to another event.

BTW, did Criterion remove the time penalties for some of the rapid response and time trial events? I say this because I returned to the game after the patch and played 2/3 of both careers without playing any event with time penalties. That was a relief.

No, you just run into fewer of them as the game goes on. Like I said earlier in the thread, the primary point of those races was to give you a preview of cars you haven't unlocked yet, and to give you some experience on the tracks you'll be racing on.

The time penalties were there to make those events somewhat challenging in the process. But yeah....they're not popular. So I wouldn't expect to see them make much of a comeback. :lol

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I love the non-popular events, That shouldn't shock anyone in Ausgaf :lol

I enjoy the time trials with penalties. It forces you to learn the car and track, to become a better drive and I'm all for it.

Kryten

I really wish the game cribbed from Forza and let me start by selecting a car I want to drive, then presenting me with events I can enter with that car. Pretty please :)

Hawk SE

cantona222 said:

I had 1000/1000. Now i'm working for 1195/1195 after buying the DLC.

KaYotiX

Banned
cantona222 said:
Have had it for awhile, even the DLC achievements. Got em all :D

Yo, fuck this game.

I've been trying to play it for a while now. Except I can't, because every time I try and connect to the Autolog servers, when the game boots up, it won't do it, claiming I need to be connected to Xbox Live to use Autolog (which I am). And then when I try and connect again, the fucking game ALWAYS freezes. Always. Without a hitch. I was able to get around the freezing once with a well timed hit of the guide button, but it only worked once and didn't do much good aside from getting me to the main menu and making me watch that stupid Shift 2 trailer.

Any advice, GAF?

EDIT: never mind. It finally worked this time.

EDIT 2: never mind the never mind. Now it just keeps disconnecting me from the Autolog servers for no reason!

LCGeek

formerly sane
The Antitype said:

I just started playing this game a few days ago and this problem sticks out like a sore thumb. While it's useful at times as it can have you go through roadblocks and other situations that are unavoidable due to timing it equally can cause you too lose. I've lost a few games because the cutaways cause a speed drop and allow racers or enemy cops to get ahead. The worst was on the exotics hot pursuit level on the coast just as I get within a mile and take down a cop his buddy and helicopter instantly appear then nail me.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
salva said:
PrsqL.jpg

Sweet, I'm level 20 Most Wanted!

:lol

eviltasan

Barberetti said:

*lays spike strip*

AARRGGHH!

RANT

RAGE!!!

This.

This, precisely one million times.

glaurung

eviltasan said:
This.

This, precisely one million times.
Yes, I have been feeling the same a couple of times now.

But it can also work in your favor: a road block is coming up that I don't think I can swerve - drop a spike strip that immediately registers, a cut scene triggers and once that is complete, I resume my race magically teleported through the road block.

But yes:

Criterion, give us a settings patch to disable all cutscenes. All events are displayed in the upper left corner anyhow, who wants to know what's happening, read from there.

Hey guys, I'm not going to be able to come on here anymore.

Feel free to send any and ALL questions to the community team at @NeedforSpeed on twitter, or facebook.com/needforspeed. They see it all, and will respond.

Thanks for your support of the game!

The Antitype said:
Hey guys, I'm not going to be able to come on here anymore.

Feel free to send any and ALL questions to the community team at @NeedforSpeed on twitter, or facebook.com/needforspeed. They see it all, and will respond.

Thanks for your support of the game!

why not?

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
I'd just like to use this opportunity to say a well deserved FUCK OFF to any developer who decides that a two-player splitscreen mode isn't essential in basically any racer. Online is NOT a substitute. Should I really have to buy two copies of the same game, two computers/consoles and two TVs/monitors to play two-player with my wife? REALLY? Seriously, I HATE ONLINE GAMING FOR THIS PARTICULAR REASON!

Thanks for listening.

Top Bottom