• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit |OT| Do you have the Need for Speed?

Secret_Riddle said:
I'd like a new Criterion racing game..I haven't played one since Burnout 3 back on my PS2. Should I get this or Burnout Paradise? Price isn't really an object..I just want the better game.

I know both have open world elements, although it's more of a focus for Paradise..The design really doesn't matter to me..I'd just prefer whichever one is their stronger effort.

What's the GAF consensus?

If you want the best RACING, then go with Need for Speed Hot Pursuit.

If you want the most variety of stuff to do, racing, road rage, marked man, crashing, unlockables, environment interaction, etc, then go with Burnout Paradise.

I work on the Need for Speed franchise, so take this opinion for what it's worth...Burnout Paradise is my favorite racing game of this generation. I've put more hours into that game than any game not named Halo.

EDIT: :D

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Does this game have forced triple buffering enabled?

Anyone else having issues running this game with D3DOverrider?

dejan

Shaneus said:
I think I do... I mean, it *is* playable, but even when winding down the res to 1600x900 with full detail, it still sits at around 70-80%@30fps and 20-30%@60fps, even with the latest patch. I can run Metro 2033 fine so I'm more inclined to believe something's up with my config... I know there were crashing issues with quad-core CPUs, maybe there's issues with Crossfire as well?

Update: Found some other people resolved the issue by renaming the NFS11.exe to Dirt2.exe... so I guess it's (at least partially) a complete lack of Crossfire optimisation in the latest Catalyst drivers. Only very minimal dips below 60fps, even on highest resolution/detail levels. A lot happier now :D
Same problem with a SLI setup btw. Disable SLI in Nvidia's Control Panel for Hot Pursuit and watch the framerate skyrocket.

Kryten

I've just finished my first session of online multiplayer and may never go back to the single player again. "Kryten NZ" on 360 if anyone is looking for some more times to beat :)

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
The Antitype said:
If you want the best RACING, then go with Burnout Paradise.

If you want the most variety of stuff to do, racing, road rage, marked man, crashing, unlockables, environment interaction, etc, then go with Burnout Paradise.

I work on the Need for Speed franchise, so take this opinion for what it's worth...Burnout Paradise is my favorite racing game of this generation. I've put more hours into that game than any game not named Halo.

What what. Burnout paradise had TERRIBLE racing, It was a laughable mess. For the guy who last played burnout 3, pick up NFS. BO3 is still my all time favorite criterion game, it's the only one they got right when it came to the actual racing. NFS isn't as good as it should be but it's a ton of fun if you play online with mates or randoms. The autolog is a nice feature if you believe you're good at the game and want to be first on everyones list :D

I would say go NFS. It's the latest game, more people are probably playing it so you can at least play online and mess around with the autolog.

evlcookie said:
What what. Burnout paradise had TERRIBLE racing, It was a laughable mess. For the guy who last played burnout 3, pick up NFS. BO3 is still my all time favorite criterion game, it's the only one they got right when it came to the actual racing. NFS isn't as good as it should be but it's a ton of fun if you play online with mates or randoms. The autolog is a nice feature if you believe you're good at the game and want to be first on everyones list :D

I would say go NFS. It's the latest game, more people are probably playing it so you can at least play online and mess around with the autolog.

FUCK ME. I meant if you want the best racing, go for HP.

Worst. PR. Ever.

Daft_Cat

The Antitype said:
If you want the best RACING, then go with Need for Speed Hot Pursuit.

EDIT: :D

Haha, I was about to thank you for an answer so brutally honest that I wondered if you were risking your position just to help me out.

I think I'll go with Need for Speed. Like someone else said, the online is in its prime right now, and the world looks so beautiful I could see myself spending hours just joyriding in it. I'm also more interested in the game having a solid racing core (along with the awesome crashes I expect from criterion), and I love the cops and racers stuff.

After all, if I ever decided to be lttp with Paradise, it's only like 10 bucks now.

Thanks guys!

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
The Antitype said:
FUCK ME. I meant if you want the best racing, go for HP.

Worst. PR. Ever.

Haha don't worry. Nobody believed you when you said Burnout had better racing than Hot Pursuit. :lol

Just stated this game up, my 360 controller randomly disconnects when I crash or run into a wall, dont have any other problems with any other games and I just put a fresh pair of batteries in, wtf is this?

derFeef

dreamer3kx said:
Just stated this game up, my 360 controller randomly disconnects when I crash or run into a wall, dont have any other problems with any other games and I just put a fresh pair of batteries in, wtf is this?
Congrats, you discovered controller vibration?

yophlow

Banned
I had no idea people considered Burnout Paradise to have bad racing. Not that I bought it, but I remember B3 being unreal. What changed?

Are there any players who are OK but not amazing who I can add to my leaderboard and genuinely have a good competition with? Sick of being completely dominated by pretty much everyone :)

Been playing the game for the past couple of days thanks to the Steam sale.

For me, it's one of those, "Just one more stage" types of games. Criterion has really outdone themselves.

The soundtrack on the other hand...

Woof!

I imagine freeroam mode online is where it's at? I played it single player and it just seems to be endless driving with no random goals or anything around the entire map. Maybe I'm missing something.

Anyways, I can't wait to tackle the online mode and bust some offenders!

FrostuTheNinja said:
Been playing the game for the past couple of days thanks to the Steam sale.

For me, it's one of those, "Just one more stage" types of games. Criterion has really outdone themselves.

The soundtrack on the other hand...

Woof!

I imagine freeroam mode online is where it's at? I played it single player and it just seems to be endless driving with no random goals or anything around the entire map. Maybe I'm missing something.

Anyways, I can't wait to tackle the online mode and bust some offenders!

I don't like the soundtrack either. I turned it off pretty quick.

I'm a lot easier on game soundtracks these days now that I've seen what goes into negotiating them. Record labels wanting certain percentage of the soundtrack for their artists, demanding that you add another 'up and coming' artist onto the list if you want such and such a track by an established band, on and on and on. Telling Lamborghini we're going to trash their cars is an easier sell....and that's a big pain in the ass too, let me tell you.

There's 4 songs I really like in the soundtrack. The remix song from the limited edition trailer, the main theme by 30 Seconds to Mars, MIA Born Free and another one that I don't know the name but the tune goes well with the game.

In the other side, there's not song that I hate enough to auto switch to next one.

dralla

why is there no custom soundtrack on PS3? in the options theres a soundtrack selection option but it only lets you pick 'game soundtrack'. what is with criterion and shit sound tracks, and what is with euro racing devs and pendulum

japtor said:
Living up to your name yet again.

Which car companies were the least/most pain in the ass to convince for crashing?

I'd have to ask Brad, our licensing guy, for the details...but generally speaking, none of the car companies like seeing their top of the line models get torn apart. They feel it hurts their brand.

And we only deal with their top of the line models. :lol

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
HalfbrickPhil said:
I had no idea people considered Burnout Paradise to have bad racing. Not that I bought it, but I remember B3 being unreal. What changed?

Are there any players who are OK but not amazing who I can add to my leaderboard and genuinely have a good competition with? Sick of being completely dominated by pretty much everyone :)

B3 was unreal, BP was not :D

What system are you playing on? If on PC there's a few of us in ausgaf who picked it up, most of our names in the the ID thread in the community forum. If you picked it on a console then i got no idea :lol

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I didn't lilke Burnout Paradise. People kept cutting corners while I was lost in the city.

HP is so fun in multiplayer. Glad I bought it on PC, because with 60 fps it feels almost like Burnout. But I'm glad that I didn't buy it on the launch day because I wasn't able to run it without a patch.

Kweh

Did anybody have trouble with the Biteback achievement not unlocking?

I beat a friends autolog recommendation with the correct car, but the achievement didn't pop. Am I missing something?

EDIT: Wait a minute, I'm guessing there is a standard 'Bugatti Veyron 16.4' and a 'Bugatti Veyron 16.4 Super Sport' and I've used the wrong one

crispyben

Kweh said:
Did anybody have trouble with the Biteback achievement not unlocking?

I beat a friends autolog recommendation with the correct car, but the achievement didn't pop. Am I missing something?

EDIT: Wait a minute, I'm guessing there is a standard 'Bugatti Veyron 16.4' and a 'Bugatti Veyron 16.4 Super Sport' and I've used the wrong one
Yeah, you need to use the orange and black one that comes with the DLC.

derFeef said:
Congrats, you discovered controller vibration?

yes, everytime my controller vibrates it disconnects, its only this game, anyone else experience this, I cant even play, thought it was a loose battery pack or dead batteries but both not the case, crazy, just this game.

oh I really dont want to turn off vibration.

subversus

Ok, so I have a few questions:

1)How can anybody move faster than me even if there are no curves?? Are there any widespread cheats for PC?
2)Does anybody have this strange glitch when the car doesn't accelerate with arrow keys? I use gamepad, but my friend uses a keyboard.

Davedough

So I picked this up on the 360 yesterday along with Gran Turismo 5 on the PS3 from Toys R Us' buy one get one sale.... I put about an hour into GT5 before I popped in this gem. When I got racing on this, I ended up staying up until about 3am, then forcing myself to go to bed and inevitably waking up late for work this morning.

Brilliant friggen game. I really dont understand the complaints in this thread. Its an arcade racer that is balls out fast and addicting as hell. I'd love to race against some gaffers on the 360. Add my gamertag Davedough if anyone would like to do some racing. I'll be on this game for a while.

subversus said:
1)How can anybody move faster than me even if there are no curves?? Are there any widespread cheats for PC?
Well, some cars are obviously faster than others, they could be using nitro or they are slipstreaming.

subversus

slaughterking said:
Well, some cars are obviously faster than others, they could be using nitro or they are slipstreaming.

how can I look through their characteristics?

Hawk SE

When will PC Patch #2 come out for Hot Pursuit? I know the holidays delayed it's progress and release. Just curious if you have an update.

mm04

Hawk xSx said:
When will PC Patch #2 come out for Hot Pursuit? I know the holidays delayed it's progress and release. Just curious if you have an update.

This! I have this game on the backburner until that patch comes out. Thanks to the Steam sale, I have a whole bunch of other games that don't require patching to play instead. But it would be nice if that patch, which has been talked about for over a month, would be released soon.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
subversus said:
I didn't lilke Burnout Paradise. People kept cutting corners while I was lost in the city.

And this is what people really mean when they say BP is "horrible".

Davedough said:
So I picked this up on the 360 yesterday along with Gran Turismo 5 on the PS3 from Toys R Us' buy one get one sale.... I put about an hour into GT5 before I popped in this gem. When I got racing on this, I ended up staying up until about 3am, then forcing myself to go to bed and inevitably waking up late for work this morning.

Brilliant friggen game. I really dont understand the complaints in this thread. Its an arcade racer that is balls out fast and addicting as hell. I'd love to race against some gaffers on the 360. Add my gamertag Davedough if anyone would like to do some racing. I'll be on this game for a while.

It's a nicely put together game, but the driving is just so piss poor. I bought this game on PC on the Steam sale like some others here, and I've driven quite a bit now (you can check, I'm Arwin_ST and can use some Autolog friends). The Autolog remains its best feature by a mile, but it's just a feature, not the main gameplay.

This game is a snack. A very good snack, with very addictive qualities. And there's nothing wrong with that. It's incredibly impressive how cleverly they turned Burnout into something like this, and a game like GT5 could learn a lot from it. But out of the two, give me GT5 anytime.

jergrah

That final 43 mile race is kicking my ass! Ive only finished it once, coming in 4th by less than 1 second after getting passed on the final curve. Previous attempt I got wrecked by another racer with Damage Critical with under 1 mile to go when I was in 2nd. Other times I completely wrecked out around the 4 mile mark.

Back at it tomorrow!

Davedough

Loaded up my first multiplayer experience with the game last night with 2 other buddies. We made a public room and had it set up to randomly assign equal cops and outlaws with some good people and holy crap what a blast. This game is quickly earning its way into my GOTY spot. That was so much pure unadulterated fun. Cant wait to get back into it.

bj00rn_

Banned
I bought a new 360 (Bigger HDD) yesterday on my way back home from work. It came with one free game out of five available. The girl behind the counter asked me which game I wanted. I didn't think think much of it, I have all the games I want at this time, so I didn't really care too much.
So I quickly browsed the available titles and said, "I'll just take that Need for Speed thingy". I went home and set up the system, didn't have time for much else that evening.

But then I had a litte extra time today and I thought "what the hell, let's check this thing out." and started playing. After couple of races I thought "Hmm, well, better than I thought". And then it got better, and better, until I realized that this is much of the game that I wanted Burnout Paradise to be! So what a nice surprise, I'm having a ton of fun.

Anyway, stupid me thought that the game had a limited number of set tracks, noe free roam, no dynamic time and no dynamic weather (Didn't follow previews of this game), so that this game had all of the above was another great surprise as well :)

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Anyone else having issues running this game with D3DOverrider?

I now this game has v-sync by default but what about triple buffering?

Glad you guys are enjoying the game so much. I'll pass on the kind words to the dev team.

Remember, there are a lot of features in the game that extend to the website.

hotpursuit.needforspeed.com/autolog

Your photos are automatically uploaded along with stats, so you can share with friends...or you know, rub their face in how much better you are. Whichever. :D

Hawk xSx said:

Still targeted for the early part of January.

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
Finally got this yesterday, installed and tried it as soon as possible but didn't really put much time into it. Today I played a few more races, but I'm wondering how I'm supposed to get anything out of the autolog feature when I'm on PC and I don't have any friends in my list. How do I add friends? And where do I find them? I don't have the Steam version, only the disc version which I activated in the EA store so I don't have to use the disc.

bj00rn_

Banned
The Antitype said:
Glad you guys are enjoying the game so much. I'll pass on the kind words to the dev team

I've free roamed continuously for over 45 minutes now, exploring the NFSHP world and its consistency. Tell the team that they don't have to worry that all the awesome small details they put in is going to waste :)

StarEye said:
Finally got this yesterday, installed and tried it as soon as possible but didn't really put much time into it. Today I played a few more races, but I'm wondering how I'm supposed to get anything out of the autolog feature when I'm on PC and I don't have any friends in my list. How do I add friends? And where do I find them? I don't have the Steam version, only the disc version which I activated in the EA store so I don't have to use the disc.

We've set up a sticky forum thread on the official need for speed forums for users to post their online IDs.

We also have discussion threads for each platform on our official Facebook page.

AcridMeat

Banned
StarEye said:

I had a question about the boxed PC version, does it have steamworks?

Top Bottom