• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit |OT| Do you have the Need for Speed?

scitek said:
The lack of realism isn't the issue, it's the expectation of precision with such shitty physics in place. Physics that were just as problematic in Burnout Paradise and weren't addressed in the interim. The spawning issues I mentioned above were also present in Paradise. Thankfully, I haven't been placed backwards in a race after crashing yet.

oh sorry, i was responding to your post.

this new post is ok i guess

the physics in BP and HP feel totally different to me. i'm only level 6 or so on the cop missions, though, they don't interest me like the outlaw missions do at this point in time.

scitek said:
Okay, the further I get into the game, the more I ask "What the fuck were you thinking, Criterion?" The Rapid Response races are such gutter trash. They're some of the worst thought-out events in racing game history. Am I or am I not playing as a cop? In what version of America does the traffic not pull to the side of the road when a cop is coming, let alone honk their horns as a cop passes them with his siren blaring? Seriously stupid stuff, and the penalties are totally ridiculous. Who the fuck cares if a cop brushes a guard-rail on the way to a call? GTFO with this shit.

Lol. Seriously. Every time I open a new event as an SCPD officer I get excited about another hot pursuit only to see I have nothing but Rapid Responses that I can't stand for that very reason. Rapid responses and the cutscenes for EVERYTHING that goes down in a race/hot pursuit are the two main things I HATE in an otherwise fun as fuck game.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Just picked up the game for PS3.

I only have one person on my Speed Wall though :-(, PSN lowrider007, add me please.

scitek

I just finished the last of the cop missions. Only two left for the racer. Fun game, but some annoyances in single player drag it down. Thankfully the online is a blast, especially with my roommate across the hall yelling "GOD DAMNIT!" whenever I hit him with a spike strip.

depward

newsguy said:
Damn, I've had this game since launch, but I have no friends playing it. Now that I convinced a friend to buy it, this is bad news. I guess if you luck out and get put on the same side, you stay on the same team until people start to leave the room. It's not all bad to EMP my newb buddy off a mountainside tho

My brother and I picked this up and yes, the whole party thing not transitioning over kinda sucks. We typically both get to the search for a lobby screen and then search for the same time; 9 times out of 10 we're in the same game.

Then it's all about luck with if you'll be cops or racers together or not. It's fun when you're on the same team... and it's almost as much fun when you aren't :)

scitek

depward said:
My brother and I picked this up and yes, the whole party thing not transitioning over kinda sucks. We typically both get to the search for a lobby screen and then search for the same time; 9 times out of 10 we're in the same game.

Then it's all about luck with if you'll be cops or racers together or not. It's fun when you're on the same team... and it's almost as much fun when you aren't :)

You can join your friends and it automatically puts you in the lobby with them.

Gooster said:
Lol. Seriously. Every time I open a new event as an SCPD officer I get excited about another hot pursuit only to see I have nothing but Rapid Responses that I can't stand for that very reason. Rapid responses and the cutscenes for EVERYTHING that goes down in a race/hot pursuit are the two main things I HATE in an otherwise fun as fuck game.

Those are two of my biggest gripes for this games. Lots of fluff (cutscenes) and the fact that the cop tracks are often lopsided. Chasing racers is fun. Getting penalized for a hit for those "preview" races is not. It wouldn't be so bad if there was the advantage that civilian cars pulled over but despite you being in a clearly labeled cop car with sirens on, they drive the exact same so you have to watch out for that too.

I have to be honest, I'm disappointed with this NFS outing. I really liked it when I first started playing but unlike Most Wanted, my interest dropped really quickly. I'm bored with it now.

Kryten

Goddamn - finally got "True Blue" (distinction in all cop events), the last two Rapid Responses just about bloody killed me. I'm not sure at this point if I can stomach going for the racer version :/

scitek

Holy hell are those Bugatti cop cars full of shit. The way they speed ahead of you to drop a spike strip regardless of how far behind you they were or how fast you're going. They can be such pains in the ass.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I would have liked to have unlocked a mode at the end of the game where you can play any event regardless of class with any car you want. That would have kept my interest for a bit longer, though granted it would break the leaderboards. Perhaps there could have been a practice mode for every event allowing all cars? I don't know. I just love tearing down roads in the Mclaren F1, that's when the game is at its best in my opinion.

Yes, I would have loved this as well.

I haven't played the game in a little while, but a mode like this would have helped a lot with keeping my interest. I'm probably 2/3rds through the campaign, and I have like a dozen of Rapid Response events standing in my way. No need to reiterate why this missions suck, but they're kinda turning me off from the game.

Also, this probably makes me sound weak, but the races are getting kinda difficult. This is mostly due to the absurd rubber banding, I've never seen it to this degree in a game. It's discouraging, especially in the really long races, because nothing really matters until the last mile. I can race like a fucking champ only to have the AI pass me because they get a boost of superspeed on a turn. I hate going through the whole race only to end up with a bronze or less because it's damn near impossible to hold the lead, even if you're nailing the race.

I agree with the sentiment that it's a good game, but it's held back from being a great game by a few poor design decisions. It has it's moments, like the poster above me said, when you're tearing down the road at 200 mph in a sweet car. It has a great sense of speed, races and HP's can be really intense and the cars are badass, but lately I haven't been able to motivate myself to put the game back in my PS3. An exhibition/free play mode would have gone a long way for me. I'd love to just pick any course, any car and any event so I can stick with the good stuff while avoiding the bad. It sucks because it's all right there in the game, but we're stuck with playing new events (that can be a pain) or replaying past events (which can get boring).

I'm not ready to sell the game or anything, I'll get back to it eventually, but after spending a decent amount of time with the game, it's flaws are starting to get to me.

blame space said:
this is actually one of my favorite parts of the game. cutscenes are rewards.. the computer controls your car extremely well for a short period of time.

sure i've had a few instances where the cutscenes fuck me over, but there are many more situation where they make me feel like an awesome badass.

The bolded is the problem for me. I want to be in control of my car all of the time. I don't want the "rewards". As it is, I'd sooner have random clips of Terminator 2 shoved in my face while I'm racing, because then at least I'd be watching stuff I want to see.

I like the "hit" cutscenes. Getting a hit on the spike strip, takedowns, wrecks, etc. are all very satisfying when the cutscene shows them flipping over guard rails. The only ones I don't like are the unskippable skippable cutscenes (before an event starts), the ones that show a new cop is about to come after you, and the unskippable upgraded items ones. I know what a turbo does, I don't need to watch the video.

I feel the unskippable skippable ones at the beginning are just covering the loading of the track, but don't give me the option to skip and then tell me to wait while it prepares to skip. lol

Otherwise, this game is amazing and I have been chipping away at all the golds for racer. The cutscene things, to me, are just a minor annoyance. And I like the "freebie" control I get when in a cutscene. It's awesome timing a spike strip to get me through a road block unscathed. But, I'll take it the other way too. The game will be fun regardless.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Curufinwe said:
Those before event cutscenes aren't totally skippable because they are disguising loading times.

Nah I think he's talking about the "You got a Level 3 Spikestrip!" videos, those are annoying as hell. Let me guess, the Lv 3 Spikestrip does more damage and has better range than Lv 2? Why do you need to tell me this in the form of a cutscene for 3 minutes??!

Yeah that's really my only complaint about the entire game, those long unskippable videos that tells you when you get new stuff. Everything else in the game is so stream lined... why isn't that?

scitek

Adam Prime said:
Nah I think he's talking about the "You got a Level 3 Spikestrip!" videos, those are annoying as hell. Let me guess, the Lv 3 Spikestrip does more damage and has better range than Lv 2? Why do you need to tell me this in the form of a cutscene for 3 minutes??!

Yeah that's really my only complaint about the entire game, those long unskippable videos that tells you when you get new stuff. Everything else in the game is so stream lined... why isn't that?

Even stranger is when you receive a new item, and it happens when you're online, you can skip them.

iNvid02

IGN are doing a NFS challenge, winner gets a 46" 3DTV.

Split up into a couple of phases, with 50% of the fastest moving onto the next phase.

Phase 1 is fastest time on vanishing point, i think im good with 1:12:20

Is there a guide to getting great times on certain runs? I feel like taking every shortcut actually hurts my time since not all cars can handle off road and what have you.

cantona222

Gen X said:
One thing that irks me about this game is why is it when you're the police you're encourage to do dangerous driving to fill up your nitrous? Wouldn't it be wiser to make it that the law abiding police get nitrous for driving on the correct side of the road?
Your point's Logical

iNvidious01 said:
IGN are doing a NFS challenge, winner gets a 46" 3DTV.

Split up into a couple of phases, with 50% of the fastest moving onto the next phase.

Phase 1 is fastest time on vanishing point, i think im good with 1:12:20
Only for the UK. Darn

one_kill

I just got this game today and I'm having a blast so far. I'm currently playing as a cop.

I haven't tried online yet. I hope I'll be able to get some people on my speed wall. :D

Adam Prime said:

Actually, I was talking about both of them. Disguising the loading of the track with some cutscene that says "Press A to skip", then says "Skipping" for a little bit longer is just weird.

Also, the upgraded item cutscenes being unskippable is just annoying as hell.

one_kill said:
When racing, can you take down other racers like in Burnout? Or only cops can do that in this game?
You can take out other racers. It's called a Takedown. While the health of other racers isn't shown, seeing how beat up their car is can give you an idea of how low it actually is.

scitek

MotorbreathX said:
You can take out other racers. It's called a Takedown. While the health of other racers isn't shown, seeing how beat up their car is can give you an idea of how low it actually is.

lulz, hopefully Criterion never finds out this Burnout clone stole their idea

Curufinwe

cantona222 said:
Your point's Logical

His point is invalid because you do not get extra nitrous for driving on the wrong side of the road as a Cop. Read page 5 of the manual if you don't believe me.

I finished up all the Cop Rapid Response events tonight to get the True Blue gold trophy. Some of them have so much traffic on narrow roads that they seem impossible , but if you restart enough times you'll eventually get lucky with a run that doesn't have too many penalties.

[EDIT] Fixed the trophy name.

scitek

Curufinwe said:
His point is invalid because you do not get extra nitrous for driving on the wrong side of the road as a Cop. Read page 5 of the manual if you don't believe me.

I finished up all the Cop Rapid Response events tonight to get the Ultimate Enforcer gold trophy. Some of them have so much traffic on narrow roads that they seem impossible , but if you restart enough times you'll eventually get lucky with a run that doesn't have too many penalties.

I had one where I racked up 11 seconds in penalties and still finished with Disctinction.

scitek

What do you get if you finish all events with gold? I did, but I don't recall seeing anything unlock or whatever. I'm playing the PC version.

Curufinwe

I've only finished all the Cop events with Distinctions, and I got a trophy for that on PS3 and I think I unlocked a car, too. Nothing else. I still have about 10 Racer events I need to get gold in, but I don't really fancy it. It's so easy to get screwed half a mile from the finish line in Hot Pursuit.

Is it much easier to see the traffic on the PC in 1080p 60 fps? There's a Rapid Response event using the fastest cars with tons of traffic where you you really have to drive on the right hand side of the road, and at over 200 MPH I found it very hard to see the back of the cars ahead of me before it was too late.

It was Boulder Desert: Damage Limitation.

scitek

Curufinwe said:
I've only finished all the Cop events with Distinctions, and I got a trophy for that on PS3 and I think I unlocked a car, too. Nothing else. I still have about 10 Racer events I need to get gold in, but I don't really fancy it. It's so easy to get screwed half a mile from the finish line in Hot Pursuit.

Is it much easier to see the traffic on the PC in 1080p 60 fps? There's a Rapid Response event using the fastest cars with tons of traffic where you you really have to drive on the right hand side of the road, and at over 200 MPH I found it very hard to see the back of the cars ahead of me before it was too late.

It was Boulder Desert: Damage Limitation.

Couldn't say, my PC isn't that good. I play at 720p and get 50-60 FPS, and at 1080p I get like 40-50. I think I had trouble with Damage Limitation too though, because I recognize the name and I'm usually terrible at remembering names like that.

EDIT: If you're not looking forward to the rest of the racer events, you'll fucking hate the last one.

It's called Seacrest Tour and is a 45 mile race around the entire map. Took me 13 minutes. EDIT2: I did win the race by over 20 seconds, so it wasn't hard, just long.

Shaneus

scitek said:
Couldn't say, my PC isn't that good. I play at 720p and get 50-60 FPS, and at 1080p I get like 40-50. I think I had trouble with Damage Limitation too though, because I recognize the name and I'm usually terrible at remembering names like that.

EDIT: If you're not looking forward to the rest of the racer events, you'll fucking hate the last one.

It's called Seacrest Tour and is a 45 mile race around the entire map. Took me 13 minutes. EDIT2: I did win the race by over 20 seconds, so it wasn't hard, just long.
Long? You should play GT5 :lol

PS. Still having issues with the performance of this game. Disabled Crossfire and I still average around 45-50FPS. Sometimes it will hit 60, but rarely. This is with an overclocked Q9550 (to 3.4GHz) and overclocked 5850. Shit's pissing me off... hopefully there's a profile in the latest Catalyst drivers that fixes this shit up.

Curufinwe

Gravijah said:
How is the PS3 version of this? Plays fine?

Yup, Criterion put out almost exactly same the games on 360 and PS3.

I wouldn't buy the PS3 version unless you have the Real Triggers attachments for the Dual Shock 3, though.

Pimpbaa

Curufinwe said:
Yup, Criterion put out almost exactly same the games on 360 and PS3.

I wouldn't buy the PS3 version unless you have the Real Triggers attachments for the Dual Shock 3, though.

Not everyone has issues with the DS3 triggers.

Curufinwe

I know there are people who will put up with inferior shit like the Dual Shock 3's soft, spongy and slippery triggers. I just choose not to.

I bought the Super Sports DLC this morning and managed to finish up all the trophies by this afternoon so Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit is now my only PS3 game where I have 100% of the trophies.

Top Bottom