• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need For Speed Unbound revealed, coming to PS5, XSX/S and PC on December 2

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
The series s is running the game at 1296p 30 fps. why would a polaris card with the same performance profile run the game at half the framerate and lower resolution???
Maybe because the series s version is running with everything on high/ultra settings and not with everything on low?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Maybe because the series s version is running with everything on high/ultra settings and not with everything on low?
What are you even talking about? The series s is equivalent to a 570. Why would 570 be a 1080p 30 fps and low settings like you claim and the series s be ultra settings at 1296p at 60 fps?

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
The flourishes are customizable.....which almost certainly means there will be an option for "none".
I dont mind the cell shaded smoke, but the flourishes....nahh Imma skip on those, if im forced to use one, the most uninstructive one then.

wdVnLZn.gif

SlimySnake

I think Series S is comparable to RX 5500 XT which is better than RX 580.
Nope. The 5500xt is a 5.19 tflops RDNA 2.0 GPU. Series S is 4.0 tflops.

The reason why 5500xt is better than the 6 tflops 580 is because its almost 5.2 tflops and gets the 1.25x IPC gains going from Polaris to RDNA. 5.2*1.25=6.48 tflops.

Last edited:

Isa

GIF by CBC

LoL, I'm struggling to understand here. I'm guessing drip feeding hype, and trying dangerous moves to overtake the competition?

In all seriousness it doesn't look bad, I kind of like the wannabe anime-stylized avatars they have going on, though the west is still in dire need of looking up or paying some Japanese artists to teach them how to do it properly, they look too bright and lack any shading detail as usual, same problem as Fortnite. I don't mind the FX in gameplay, some environments look quite nice and I'm a sucker for lovely skyboxes.

Yeah, I'm not gonna participate in that discussion. I think Series S is fine and much needed in current economic climate.
This person gets it. Thank you. Its not just a recession. Its a push towards population control(the great reset and all that entails) coupled with a potential 3rd World War and the effects are already being seen. I'm wondering what the sales are going to be for games and systems across the west, namely Europe for this holiday into next year and beyond. If people are struggling to make ends meet and can barely afford not to lose the lights and freeze to death during winter, how the bloody hell are they supposed to buy completely unnecessary luxury items and entertainment? Even here in the States families have been buying groceries and such with credit and credit lines. Its insane and I expect the housing market to finally buckle under that pressure with many foreclosures.

Seriously, my best friend's brother got a Series S for an early holiday present, and it works totally fine(save for the limited space but he's got a nice cheap external), and another sibling is trying to get one too since he's stuck with the One S. They've all got wives and children and still had to move back in with their parents due to the housing/rent crisis going on here. People poopoo the lower tiered option and I get it, but I think its a godsend for those who can't normally afford our more hardcore spending habits in the hobby.

mortal

I appreciate the effort with this stylized presentation, gameplay seems more arcade as well.
At least it's something different than just another photo-realistic racing game. It's just nice to have some variety in the genre imo.

How do you do fellow kids!
I don't get this mentality at all here, Need For Speed has always been about incorporating the music, subcultures, and fashion of the era.
Were people taking issue with the Underground titles with its presentation and playlist, or any other NFS for that matter?

Some of you are more the grandpa Simpson meme than Criterion are the fellow kids meme lol

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
Hmm was hoping it would be even more stylized but it seems like the visuals in that latest clip still adhere to quite a bit of (hyper) realism. Oh well, still very much looking forward to seeing more.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
I appreciate the effort with this stylized presentation, gameplay seems more arcade as well.
At least it's something different than just another photo-realistic racing game. It's just nice to have some variety in the genre imo.

I don't get this mentality at all here, Need For Speed has always been about incorporating the music, subcultures, and fashion of the era.
Were people taking issue with the Underground titles with its presentation and playlist, or any other NFS for that matter?

Some of you are more the grandpa Simpson meme than Criterion are the fellow kids meme lol
You are right, I am just getting old and am completely out of touch to be honest.

I just post stupid GIFs for my own entertainment more than anything, I didn't mean any offence at all.

It is part of the car culture, and I am driving a family wagon these days, jealous of cool cars lol

I loved Underground back in the day, with my pearlescent Nissan Skyline, with riders of the storm remix, absolutely loved it.

This looks cool, I am just not sure about the mixing comic book, miles morales film style in with cars.

Seriously, my best friend's brother got a Series S for an early holiday present, and it works totally fine(save for the limited space but he's got a nice cheap external), and another sibling is trying to get one too since he's stuck with the One S. They've all got wives and children and still had to move back in with their parents due to the housing/rent crisis going on here. People poopoo the lower tiered option and I get it, but I think its a godsend for those who can't normally afford our more hardcore spending habits in the hobby.

I'm definitely more on a hardcore side of gaming spending, have a good PC, PS5, Series S, and I still prefer Microsoft's console the most for its power efficiency, quietness and performance per cost ratio. Amazing value.

It's just frustrating to see the same comments about it since 2020.

SlimySnake

There are other ways to make affordable consoles. It should not come at the expense of people who paid nearly 2x more for just a resolution increase. MS is a $2.5 trillion company. They make $50 billion in profit every year. They couldve released a $400 console for $300 if they really cared about poor people. Thats why they did in 2001 and in 2005. Thats what Sony used to do. Everyone used to take a loss back then. Now we sell them at cost so we can make the money back immediately.

An 8 tflops console wouldnt have gimped an entire generation. Devs couldve used that as the baseline. But nope, they just passed the cost on to the consumer unlike back in the day when they would swallow the cost.

Starfield is also targeting native 4k 30 fps on the series x? Why? Because native 4k games run at 1080p games on the series s. So the baseline is a 4 tflops console in their biggest exclusive of the year. It doesnt even come close to looking as good as the Matrix. Is it fair to the people who paid $500 for the series x in this bad economy?

mortal

You are right, I am just getting old and am completely out of touch to be honest.

I just post stupid GIFs for my own entertainment more than anything, I didn't mean any offence at all.

It is part of the car culture, and I am driving a family wagon these days, jealous of cool cars lol

I loved Underground back in the day, with my pearlescent Nissan Skyline, with riders of the storm remix, absolutely loved it.

This looks cool, I am just not sure about the mixing comic book, miles morales film style in with cars.
No offense taken and that's understandable.
There's nothing wrong with not liking the art design or music, as that's really a matter of preference more than anything.

Like you, I think many of us just need to accept that we're no longer the same gamers in their teens and 20's and that an entirely new generation of younger gamers has taken that place.
The industry isn't static either so naturally, some developers and publishers will adapt to newer trends and cater to the taste of new players.
Obviously, there's still marketing taken into account here, especially with the inclusion of celebrity figures in the game.
Although it's not so much pandering as it is that the times have changed, I think there's a discernible difference there at least imo.

At the end of the day, people like what they like so it's whatever.

Last edited:
Starfield is also targeting native 4k 30 fps on the series x? Why? Because native 4k games run at 1080p games on the series s. So the baseline is a 4 tflops console in their biggest exclusive of the year. It doesnt even come close to looking as good as the Matrix. Is it fair to the people who paid $500 for the series x in this bad economy?

Who cares what's fair? You paid 500$, you get 60 FPS, better setting, ray tracing, resolution, you name it. Funny how PC gamers are not in an uproar because one bought RTX 4090 for 2000$ and the other Intel ARC A770 for 350$.

That Matrix demo wouldn't run any better than 30 FPS with heavy reconstruction with or without Series S existence.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

Isa

There are other ways to make affordable consoles. It should not come at the expense of people who paid nearly 2x more for just a resolution increase. MS is a $2.5 trillion company. They make $50 billion in profit every year. They couldve released a $400 console for $300 if they really cared about poor people. Thats why they did in 2001 and in 2005. Thats what Sony used to do. Everyone used to take a loss back then. Now we sell them at cost so we can make the money back immediately.

An 8 tflops console wouldnt have gimped an entire generation. Devs couldve used that as the baseline. But nope, they just passed the cost on to the consumer unlike back in the day when they would swallow the cost.

Oh it sucks to be sure. I also don't think any Corpo is a friend to anybody, not even a shareholder or the lenders they get backing from for big investments like console launches. Honestly though I haven't seen any devs really pushing much in the way of next-gen possible boundries anyway sadly. Some fun titles to be sure, but with enough finesse I bet most of what's current-gen could be made to work on last-gen with some finagling. Its partially why I haven't gotten a new gaming PC yet. I feel mine is still sufficient. I could upgrade to some serious beast, but with the very few select games that really push the hardware I don't see the return on my investment save for being set for roughly a few decades by the time game development really needs to use all that horsepower. Not saying there isn't value in there for people that enjoy it however.
I'm definitely more on a hardcore side of gaming spending, have a good PC, PS5, Series S, and I still prefer Microsoft's console the most for its power efficiency, quietness and performance per cost ratio. Amazing value.

It's just frustrating to see the same comments about it since 2020.
That's cool to hear. I love reading the user reviews on games and such on the MS store. Some great perspectives regarding each user's performance. During recent mp games our own group played a few games like Conan(each had much better performance than last gen by far), CoD beta(we had very little problems and great perf while the last gen user often suffered bugs and crashes), and during ESO the last gen user was the most experienced and he'd be all "when you guys load in here's what you should do etc while the rest of us had already loaded in super quick and were running around doing things. Going into dungeons and whatnot is kind of annoying waiting for the last-gen guy. Every-time I see the Series S its hanging with the big dogs just fine.

Zathalus

If the PS5 and XSX are targeting 4k (likely dynamic) then the Series S is not holding back anything. Unless you expected PS5 and XSX to target 1080p which would have looked horrible.

SlimySnake

Who cares what's fair?
Literally the people justifying the existence of a cheaper console.

I dont think its fair because life isnt fair. I would like to own a Ferarri and bang a victoria secret model. I dont see people feeling sorry for me. Consoles come out once every 7 years. For us to get a 2x improvement in fidelity or (1x in this case since they are now targeting 60 fps on a 4 tflops console) is fucking ridiculous.

Literally the people justifying the existence of a cheaper console.

I dont think its fair because life isnt fair. I would like to own a Ferarri and bang a victoria secret model. I dont see people feeling sorry for me. Consoles come out once every 7 years. For us to get a 2x improvement in fidelity or (1x in this case since they are now targeting 60 fps on a 4 tflops console) is fucking ridiculous.

Then maybe ask Sony why they still support PS4 and plan on doing so in the future. Other devs too for that matter.

That's much bigger bottleneck than Series S will ever be.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

Isa

Those people would go bankrupt if they spend 200 more dollars on a Series X?
Perhaps. I'm mainly referring to people struggling to make ends meet. As a long-term investment it makes sense for sure to go for a Series X or PS5. But I know people who were begging others for a month of PS Plus or Gold/GP just to play the open-beta of CoD with the rest of us. Husbands trying to convince the wife that they "need" a new system when the wife says "but we already have such and such at home". That 200 hundred could go to car repairs, bills, baby stuff, maybe one new game a year etc. So few having proper savings or have dipped into them for food and gas. One of those games I mention is still gaming on a super old small TV and can barely read the text in games, constantly getting things wrong which the rest of us then correct.

Not trying to be rude. I just think the larger market trends will skew towards fewer purchases and spending habits will change significantly in the coming months. I can only imagine the effect this will have on the gaming industry but I don't think it will be good.

SlimySnake

If the PS5 and XSX are targeting 4k (likely dynamic) then the Series S is not holding back anything. Unless you expected PS5 and XSX to target 1080p which would have looked horrible.
Need for Speed on PS4 was 1080p targeting 30 fps. Looks stunning to this day.

Next gen consoles dont have to have a 4x increase in pixels. From PS3 to PS4 we went from 720p to 1080p. A 2x increase in pixels. Why must we go to native 4k when 1440p looks just fine?

The fact that they are going 60 fps also limits what they can do with the GPU since it effectively uses half of the GPU to run at double the framerate. Had they targeted 1440p 60 fps, we couldve still gotten a game that used 5 tflops to increase the visual fidelity. Now what we are seeing is a game designed around 2 tflops and the remaining 2 tflops on the xss are simply used to double the framerate.

This is basically a last gen game in disguise.

Last edited:

Zathalus

Need for Speed on PS4 was 1080p targeting 30 fps. Looks stunning to this day.

Next gen consoles dont have to have a 4x increase in pixels. From PS3 to PS4 we went from 720p to 1080p. A 2x increase in pixels. Why must we go to native 4k when 1440p looks just fine?

The fact that they are going 60 fps also limits what they can do with the GPU since it effectively uses half of the GPU to run at double the framerate. Had they targeted 1440p 60 fps, we couldve still gotten a game that used 5 tflops to increase the visual fidelity. Now what we are seeing is a game designed around 2 tflops and the remaining 2 tflops on the xss are simply used to double the framerate.

This is basically a last gen game in disguise.
Very few people want to go back to 30 fps and I certainly don't want to stick at 1080p forever considering higher resolutions look quite a bit better. Higher resolution eats up rendering budget but you're acting as that is going to waste, 1440p+ is quite a bit better then 1080p.

As for 4k, I doubt either of these consoles will actually reach 4k that often and will likely scale in resolution widely. Like plenty of games this generation prove.

And again, none of this is held back by the Series S, if the PS5 or XSX target 1440p then the Series S can just target 900p with some targeted cutbacks. Problem solved, as has been proven time and time again so far.

And again, none of this is held back by the Series S, if the PS5 or XSX target 1440p then the Series S can just target 900p with some targeted cutbacks. Problem solved, as has been proven time and time again so far.

It can also be 720p reconstructed to 1080p. In today's era od DLSS, FSR etc it doesn't have to be native to look good and give enough performance gains.

SlimySnake

Then maybe ask Sony why they still support PS4 and plan on doing so in the future. Other devs too for that matter.

That's much bigger bottleneck than Series S will ever be.
you must be new here.
That's not how it works. Better CPU is there for a reason too.
They help, but GPU is the one doing all the heavy lifting. You cant plug an i9-12900k in a series s and have it magically turn into a series x. The GPU is primarily responsible for both the resolution AND the framerate rendering.

Reactions: GHG

SlimySnake

Very few people want to go back to 30 fps and I certainly don't want to stick at 1080p forever considering higher resolutions look quite a bit better. Higher resolution eats up rendering budget but you're acting as that is going to waste, 1440p+ is quite a bit better then 1080p.

As for 4k, I doubt either of these consoles will actually reach 4k that often and will likely scale in resolution widely. Like plenty of games this generation prove.

It can also be 720p reconstructed to 1080p. In today's era od DLSS, FSR etc it doesn't have to be native to look good and give enough performance gains.
Could would should. Bottomline, they arent doing that. Both NFS and Starfield are doing what cross gen games did by targeting native 4k on premium consoles. The game is running at 1296p at 60 fps on the series s. I literally said that they shouldve targeted 1440p 60 fps on the PS5 and Series X which would put the Series S around 900p maybe 720p in some cases.

So it seems we all agree.

Last edited:

Zathalus

Could would should. Bottomline, they arent doing that. Both NFS and Starfield are doing what cross gen games did by targeting native 4k on premium consoles. The game is running at 1296p at 60 fps on the series s. I literally said that they shouldve targeted 1440p 60 fps on the PS5 and Series X which would put the Series S around 900p maybe 720p in some cases.

So it seems we all agree.
Targeting 4k is a different matter entirely from the claim that the Series S is holding back anything though. Even if they targeted 1440p, the Series S can chug along fine at 900p.

Last edited:

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
No offense taken and that's understandable.
There's nothing wrong with not liking the art design or music, as that's really a matter of preference more than anything.

Like you, I think many of us just need to accept that we're no longer the same gamers in their teens and 20's and that an entirely new generation of younger gamers has taken that place.
The industry isn't static either so naturally, some developers and publishers will adapt to newer trends and cater to the taste of new players.
Obviously, there's still marketing taken into account here, especially with the inclusion of celebrity figures in the game.
Although it's not so much pandering as it is that the times have changed, I think there's a discernible difference there at least imo.

At the end of the day, people like what they like so it's whatever.
100% agree

People need to accept that certain aspects of gaming are now “mainstream” in a way. Gaming used to be, and still has elements and genres that are niche, but overall it’s more accessible and mainstream than ever.

Do I like Fortnite, FIFA, COD? No I don’t, but I used to be a massive COD player in my late teens, early 20’s. I tried the MW2 Beta and was so bad at it. I couldn’t hit a barn door with a rocket launcher 😂. But I respect people that enjoy them for what they are, as I once did.

Peoples tastes change and develop, play whatever you want to play is my motto.

I’m currently playing Hot Wheels unleashed that was on PS Plus this month, it’s a fantastic little game but it’s clearly made for kids. Fun in short bursts and I would have only bought it on a deep sale, but it’s good to try different things.

They help, but GPU is the one doing all the heavy lifting. You cant plug an i9-12900k in a series s and have it magically turn into a series x. The GPU is primarily responsible for both the resolution AND the framerate rendering.

GPU is doing a lot of work but so is CPU and the rest. That's why Xbox One X would never reach anywhere near 120 FPS (or 60 in many games), no matter the TFLOPS, graphics settings or resolution, and Series S is sometimes doing it with ease.

That's why games like Assassin's Creed struggle at 30 FPS on lower core CPUs while 6 core/12 thread or 8 core/16 thread ones have no problem reaching 60+.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
The flourishes are customizable.....which almost certainly means there will be an option for "none".
I dont mind the cell shaded smoke, but the flourishes....nahh Imma skip on those, if im forced to use one, the most uninstructive one then.

wdVnLZn.gif

Quoting myself cuz its as I called it.

The effects are likely their MTX for this game.....thank god cuz IDGAF about them, I wont even be tempted to spend on them.
And confirmed we can turn them off.

Isa

I kind of like what I'm seeing so far despite not being the market demo for the style at all...
Being able to turn off effects is good, some might be nice. Not in to stancing cars at all, its gross. Hopefully, and I'm assuming we will be able to, get a custom character. But the main sticking point for me will be the handling. The world looks great, I love the water effect on the cars. But those drifting turns look so off I don't think I could ever get used to them. Especially after putting so much time into learning the handling models of more sim-styled games.

Top Bottom