• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need For Speed Unbound revealed, coming to PS5, XSX/S and PC on December 2

hgc6dmz5v7s91.png

rofif

Banned
Is any NFS in last 15 years good?
I loved underground1,2,Most wanted and Carbon but I think I tried "new" most wanted and didn't liked it on 360 or something.
I see that HEAT is 95% off on ps5 lol. anything else to get ? Are any of these games actually good ?

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I loved underground1,2,Most wanted and Carbon but I think I tried "new" most wanted and didn't liked it on 360 or something.
I see that HEAT is 95% off on ps5 lol. anything else to get ? Are any of these games actually good ?
e2c923a5ae1ec95e64d1206c8c6e741c.jpg

They made a remaster relatively recently thats like 30 bucks on PC, probably less if you get it on console.
If you can find a code or DVD for the OG on PC it should be pocket change and the remaster brought nothing to the table cept all the DLC.

tusharngf

nfs heat and Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit remaster both are good games.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
It is usually but NFS: The Run was also on Frostbite and that game looked stunning at the time, it was a great game too imo. In fact i feel like playing it now lol.
It’s not just about looking nice. ME Andromeda’s woes are partly due to the fact that Frostbite is very, very difficult to get working for anything that is not an FPS.

Black_Stride

I wouldn't even call this a NFS game
Why?
Its closer to:
The Need For Speed
Need For Speed II
Need For Speed III: Hot Pursuit
Need For Speed: High Stakes
Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit 2

Its probably one of the most pure Need For Speed experiences in the last 15 years.

Need For Speed going tuner culture was actually a shift in the series.

<---Agrees its actually a Burnout Sequel without the Crash mode.

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
I appreciate that they are trying something uniq will keep an eye out and probably will play when it comes to EA play on xbox

Banned
Why?
Its closer to:
The Need For Speed
Need For Speed II
Need For Speed III: Hot Pursuit
Need For Speed: High Stakes
Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit 2

Its probably one of the most pure Need For Speed experiences in the last 15 years.

Need For Speed going tuner culture was actually a shift in the series.

<---Agrees its actually a Burnout Sequel without the Crash mode.

it doesn't feel like NFS. the physics feel like a less crazy Burnout.

NFS had a very weighty feel since forever, and Criterion's games did so far not feel like NFS

Last edited:

tommib

Gold Member

They made a remaster relatively recently thats like 30 bucks on PC, probably less if you get it on console.
If you can find a code or DVD for the OG on PC it should be pocket change and the remaster brought nothing to the table cept all the DLC.
The remaster is amazing and runs at native 4K on PS5/X - and you can get it for like 9.99 on sale. It’s indeed the last good Need for Speed. No cringe characters, classic art style, all races, no fat.

This new edgy thing is not for me. NFS lost me years ago. Happy to be proved wrong and that the game is amazing, though.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

it doesn't feel like NFS. the physics feel like a less crazy Burnout.

NFS had a very weighty feel since forever, and Criterion's games did so far not feel like NFS
By since forever which games are you talking about that "feel like NFS".

Cuz Underground, Underground 2 and Most Wanted had a very different feel to the prior titles. (Tap drifting was pretty much introduced with these, and HP'10 uses that driving style too).
Carbon and Undercover felt very different to ProStreet and Shift.
Shift 2 felt different to everything else in series cept maybe Porsche 2000.
The Run was a new handling model that also didnt last beyond its title.
Most Wanted'12, Rivals, No Limits again had a different driving physics most similar to Hot Pursuit'10 but still different.
Need For Speed'15 for me felt and looked good, but the always online and shoddy servers made it a chore to get through.
We wont talk about Payback.
Heat was decent.
Will wait for Unbound to see how this feels.
Im hoping its Criterions handling model though.

So which of all the varied driving and physics models is the one you say "feels like NFS"?

Just dawned on me:
My family are such hoarders, I could probably find all the boxes for the entire NFS series prior to NFS'15.
Even a PC cardboard box of Porsche 2000.

GHG

Gold Member
The remaster is amazing and runs at native 4K on PS5/X - and you can get it for like 9.99 on sale. It’s indeed the last good Need for Speed. No cringe characters, classic art style, all races, no fat.

This new edgy thing is not for me. NFS lost me years ago. Happy to be proved wrong and that the game is amazing, though.

Thanks for mentioning this, it prompted me to see whether it was on sale at the moment on PSN and it is. £3.49. Absolue steal.

Burnout paradise is also on sale for a fiver. Both run at 4k/60fps on the PS5 so I'll take that. And people say digital isn't any good, all you have to do is wait for sales.

Shakka43

The Remaster was 3 bucks a few days ago when I bought it(PC), definitely a great buy at that price.

MarkMe2525

I was down on the art direction when those leaks came out. Now seeing it in motion, I dig it. I could be wrong, but it seems like they have a path to a Switch release with the type of visuals on display.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
this is lame. 570 is a 5 tflops polaris card roughly equivalent of a 4 tflops RDNA2 card like the xss. This game should be targeting 10 tflops as the minimum baseline. Right now the xss is basically the lowest common denominator. just a 2x increase from last gen. Insane decision by Criterion.

this is lame. 570 is a 5 tflops polaris card roughly equivalent of a 4 tflops RDNA2 card like the xss. This game should be targeting 10 tflops as the minimum baseline. Right now the xss is basically the lowest common denominator. just a 2x increase from last gen. Insane decision by Criterion.

Why should it? Why insane decision?

Besides, Dead Space Remake requires RX5700 (8 TFLOPS) as minimum yet works on much weaker Series S.

GHG

Gold Member

Ahem.

A lot of us knew this was coming.

Because it's about where the baseline sits.

The lowest powered console in a given generation tends to dictate where that baseline sits. There's a huge delta between 4tf and 10tf.

It's the PC baseline I'm talking about.

If the mass market can get away with having 4TF GPUs for too long then that means the prices of the higher powered parts wont come down as quickly due to the lack of demand for advancement and innovation. That's why we typically see the graphics cards that coincide with the final couple of years of a console generation being a piss take, both in terms of prices and in terms of performance increases (see the RTX 2XXX series). The demand for mid and higher end parts dries up as no AAA console ports are pushing the boundaries anymore, they are designed around hardware that PC gamers already had years ago. Going from 90fps to 105 fps makes no difference for most people and is not a reason to upgrade.

If the baseline is 10tf (which will be around where the 3060 will sit) then it means the 3060 will be a card in high demand. That will be recognised and then for the 4XXX series of cards Nvidia will have a huge incentive to create a low end 4050 that is 10tf and very affordable. The pricing and perfomance level has a direct impact on the rest of the 4XXX series lineup. The 4060 needs to be significantly better than 10TF, so on and so on. Everyone wins.

If 4TF is the baseline it will lead to both Nvidia and AMD taking the piss as the generation goes on. They already have cards that hit that performance benchmark at reasonable prices, they will simply keep on recycling those cards and the mid/high end of the market will suffer for pretty much a whole generation.

If you watch the Nvidia event from today, they make several references that make it clear they are putting these cards up against next gen consoles. IMO that is where the motivation for pricing the 3070 has come from at the moment. They want to make it clear you can have better than next gen console performance for under $500.

And then at the same time people want to complain about how we are stuck with the same games over and over again despite being in support of this. It's laughable.

SlimySnake

Why should it? Why insane decision?

Besides, Dead Space Remake requires RX5700 (8 TFLOPS) as minimum yet works on much weaker Series S.
Because its a next gen only game? Minimum specs should be the console specs, not a GPU thats 2.5x slower than the PS5.

This just proves that its next gen in name only.

SlimySnake

Ahem.

A lot of us knew this was coming.

And then at the same time people want to complain about how we are stuck with the same games over and over again despite being in support of this. It's laughable.
Yeah, that was my fear all along, but after seeing UE5 target the PS5 as the baseline and the downport to the xss causing it to dip significantly below 530p I was happy that it wont be the case. This is the first time we've seen a next gen only multiplatform game and its targeting the series s specs. All at 60 fps so basically a 2 tflops game. Very disappointing.

GHG

Gold Member
Because its a next gen only game? Minimum specs should be the console specs, not a GPU thats 2.5x slower than the PS5.

"Next gen" is meaningless now. We are beyond generations and that's how it's going to be. Get used to it.

Regarding your specific question about console generations, this is why I still see games themselves evolving beyond generations, and I'd like to keep evolving hardware as multi-generational too."

I look at investing into three key areas: content, cloud, and community – that is, making great games, making the experience of accessing and playing them better and improving things for the players overall. It helps lead gaming for everyone – not just Microsoft – into a better place for everyone.

That was said over 4 years ago. Is the industry producing more great games than it was then? Nope. Is gaming now in a better place for everyone than it was then? Is it hell.

Yeah, I'm not gonna participate in that discussion. I think Series S is fine and much needed in current economic climate.

We've had recessions before and we will have them again. Never before has it stifled attempts at technological advancement and innovation though. The current economic climate is just a convenient and timely excuse at the moment.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life

Do the console versions run on 1080p with everything on low settings? Because that is what minimum specs should run. Maybe even on lower resolutions...

GHG

Gold Member
Do the console versions run on 1080p with everything on low settings? Because that is what minimum specs should run. Maybe even on lower resolutions...

Well the matrix UE5 demo ran similar to that on consoles and look at how good that looked. That was a good indication of what would be possible if the next gen consoles were actually the min spec for PC going forwards.

I'm not even sure what these companies are aiming for anymore. It makes no sense to make a game "next gen" only for consoles but then have minimum specs on par with last gen consoles on the PC side.

Maybe they plan on doing a last gen port of the game at a later date (or at least want to keep the option open in case the game flops).

SlimySnake

"Next gen" is meaningless now. We are beyond generations and that's how it's going to be. Get used to it.

That was said over 4 years ago. Is the industry producing more great games than it was then? Nope. Is gaming now in a better place for everyone than it was then? Is it hell.

We've had recessions before and we will have them again. Never before has it stifled attempts at technological advancement and innovation though. The current economic climate is just a convenient and timely excuse at the moment.
the current economic climate isnt even that bad. We went through the great recession and still got next gen consoles. Albeit with underpowered CPUs, but the GPU and RAM upgrades were substantial.

It's a bs excuse. Series S was designed in 2018. No one knew bats had covid back then.

The series s runs the game at 1296p at 60 fps. The 570 isnt running the game at the lowest settings at 1080p 30 fps. The baseline is the series s. PS5 and XSX are basically going to be the same setting only at 3-4x the resolution.

Last edited:
Reactions: GHG

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
The series s runs the game at 1296p at 60 fps. The 570 isnt running the game at the lowest settings at 1080p 30 fps. The baseline is the series s.
It is not? Source?
Well the matrix UE5 demo ran similar to that on consoles and look at how good that looked. That was a good indication of what would be possible if the next gen consoles were actually the min spec for PC going forwards.

I'm not even sure what these companies are aiming for anymore. It makes no sense to make a game "next gen" only for consoles but then have minimum specs on par with last gen consoles on the PC side.

Maybe they plan on doing a last gen port of the game at a later date (or at least want to keep the option open in case the game flops).
Because the game on the lowest setting on pc could look on par or even worse than it would look on last gen?

SlimySnake

It is not? Source?

Because the game on the lowest setting on pc could look on par or even worse than it would look on last gen?
The series s is running the game at 1296p 60 fps. why would a polaris card with the same performance profile run the game at half the framerate and lower resolution???

Last edited:
Top Bottom