• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need help removing some trojans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElTopo

Banned
Managed to get infected last night. I had AVG on my system but the trojan/virus would not allow me to access it or uninstall it. I had to download a program (legit) just to allow me to uninstall it. Downloaded and installed Malwarebytes and it seemed to have caught and isolated the trojans/viruses and my system is fine, but then maybe 2-3 hours later they come right back. One of them is a fake msiexec.exe. Interesting thing is that once they come back I can't run Malwarebytes, I have to uninstall and re-install it and then I can access it.

I've had Malwarebytes go through 3 scans and it keeps detecting objects and deleting them but they come right back.

Jedi2016

You're probably picking them up again from wherever you downloaded them from in the first place. Probably something piggybacking on an advertisement. Malwarebytes can't stop live attacks, only file scans (unless you get the paid version, which I did).

I've been in a similar sort of predicament before, where I wasn't able to completely remove the same kind of thing with any conventional malware removers.

Because I have everything important backed up in the cloud, I just ended up reinstalling a clean version of Windows and everything was fine again.

Is reinstalling Windows / system restores an option for you?

Chris1

You're probably picking them up again from wherever you downloaded them from in the first place. Probably something piggybacking on an advertisement. Malwarebytes can't stop live attacks, only file scans (unless you get the paid version, which I did).
Nah some viruses are persistent and keep coming back once you "delete" them.

@Op: Restart in safe mode, scan with malwarebytes. Check your startup (start>run>msconfig>startup and disable everything you don't recognize here (you're safe to disable everything here, system files won't be here), if you see the virus here use the "command" line and trace the files down on your PC and delete them manually (you may have to end the process in task manager first).

I wouldn't recommend AVG as it's crap at detecting things, but a trick around the virus blocking AVG would be to redownload the program but rename everything to like "noob.exe", when it asks you where to install change it to "C:\program files\noob" instead of "C:\program files\avg"

Another solution you could try is system restoring to before you got the virus

Jedi2016

I've been in a similar sort of predicament before, where I wasn't able to completely remove the same kind of thing with any conventional malware removers.

Because I have everything important backed up in the cloud, I just ended up reinstalling a clean version of Windows and everything was fine again.

Is reinstalling Windows / system restores an option for you?
Yeah, there's always this. There's nothing on my C: drive that can't be easily re-downloaded. That's probably why I don't worry too much about viruses.. on the rare occasion that I've had one get through, especially the more invasive ones, I just wipe the drive. Problem solved.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Totally unrelated:

my pc keeps crashing and rebooting itself over and over again if I leave it on for longer than about an hour - advice?

@Op: Restart in safe mode, scan with malwarebytes. Check your startup (start>run>msconfig>startup and disable everything you don't recognize here (you're safe to disable everything here, system files won't be here), if you see the virus here use the "command" line and trace the files down on your PC and delete them manually (you may have to end the process in task manager first).

I wouldn't recommend AVG as it's crap at detecting things, but a trick around the virus blocking AVG would be to redownload the program but rename everything to like "noob.exe", when it asks you where to install change it to "C:program filesnoob" instead of "C:program filesavg"

This is really the best sure-fire fix I ever advise people to do (and growing up in a small red neck town, I had to perform this kind of service a lot.). Never underestimate the power of safe mode for manually rooting out invasive shit like this

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
run your comp in safe mode. run anti-malware bytes and that should fix the problem. i dont know if this program is good anymore but i used to download spybot search and destroy (even though it might only do adware).

if none of that helps and you're really desperate, do a factory reset and say eff u to the virus.

edit:

at first i thought it was about removing condoms, which is why i came in the hopes that this was a "broken penis" or "im drunk thread"

ElTopo

Banned

I wouldn't recommend AVG as it's crap at detecting things, but a trick around the virus blocking AVG would be to redownload the program but rename everything to like "noob.exe", when it asks you where to install change it to "C:\program files\noob" instead of "C:\program files\avg"

I upgraded Malwarebytes to premium but the MSconfig option seems to have helped too. Seems like it's under control now. Will post if it goes tits up.

Chris1

I upgraded Malwarebytes to premium but the MSconfig option seems to have helped too. Seems like it's under control now. Will post if it goes tits up.

I could have given you a free malwarebytes key (Friend gave me one a long time ago, there might be a PC limit so not sure if it would have worked though) and saved you some money :(

Glad to see it seems to be fixed, if you run into the problems again be sure to let us know and I'll try to help out.

Rivitur

Banned
I totally had the same thought. Was wondering when it'd get mentioned...
I came in for the title then the first thing I read is, "I got infected last night" I immediately think op is a jackass for not having protection from STDs then do a 180 when I hear malware...

Seanspeed

Banned
That seems to have fixed it. Thanks dude.
Yup, Malwarebytes alone is often not enough to actually clean up your system. Its good for detecting stuff, but I've found I usually need to run several different programs to completely get rid of any pesky Trojans and certain malware.

Foaloal

What GAF imagined(?);

SVsJXKA.jpg

What GAF got;

AMUSIX

Had it happen once, though, to be fair, I really don't use condoms often, so I might have just been clumsy with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom