• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neil Armstrong has passed away

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xero

Although it doesn't have to do with the moon landing, everyone here who hasn't seen it, should watch The Right Stuff. Awesome movie about the early days of the american space program. It used to be on netflix, but they took it off.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
http://cosmiclog.nbcnews.com/_news/...lk-on-moon-dies-at-age-82?chromedomain=usnews

"Today, Neil's spirit of discovery lives on in all the men and women who have devoted their lives to exploring the unknown — including those who are ensuring that we reach higher and go further in space," Obama said in a White House statement. "That legacy will endure — sparked by a man who taught us the enormous power of one small step."

Too bad that spirit doesn't live on in our President.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Although it doesn't have to do with the moon landing, everyone here who hasn't seen it, should watch The Right Stuff. Awesome movie about the early days of the american space program. It used to be on netflix, but they took it off.

And the excellent Mini-seires "From the Earth To The Moon" which was made in the spirit of a followup to the Right Stuff, and is specifically about Apollo. And for all you Breaking Bad fans, Bryan Cranston plays Buzz Aldrin.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
And the excellent Mini-seires "From the Earth To The Moon" which was made in the spirit of a followup to the Right Stuff, and is specifically about Apollo. And for all your Breaking Bad fans, Bryan Cranston plays Buzz Aldrin.

Other good suggestions:

"For All Mankind"

"Apollo 13" (shut up, good movie.)

Completely disappointed by Obama's words:

"Neil was among the greatest of American heroes -- not just of his time, but of all time," the president said in a statement. "When he and his fellow crew members lifted off aboard Apollo 11 in 1969, they carried with them the aspirations of an entire nation. They set out to show the world that the American spirit can see beyond what seems unimaginable -- that with enough drive and ingenuity, anything is possible.

What Neil and NASA achieved was so much more than America and American spirit. These are really shallow remarks.

DarkFlow

Banned
And the excellent Mini-seires "From the Earth To The Moon" which was made in the spirit of a followup to the Right Stuff, and is specifically about Apollo. And for all your Breaking Bad fans, Bryan Cranston plays Buzz Aldrin.
I was about to post that. Hbo should marathon this ASAP.

Jimothy

"Neil was among the greatest of humanity's heroes -- not just of his time, but of all time," the president said in a statement. "When he and his fellow crew members lifted off aboard Apollo 11 in 1969, they carried with them the aspirations of an entire planet. They set out to show the world that the human spirit can see beyond what seems unimaginable -- that with enough drive and ingenuity, anything is possible.

Take the jingoistic bullshit out and it's pretty good, I guess.

Jesus Christ, #whoisneilarmstrong is trending on twitter now...

I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

dumb-and-dumber-man-walks-on-moon.png

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Obama was pretty much required to make a statement like that. Armstrong is one of the greatest heroes America has ever had. It's just hypocritical and laughable when his polices are taken into account.

Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin participated in arguably mankind's greatest achievement.

He's a legend if there ever was one.

Never mention Neil and Buzz without mentioning Michael Collins. Nor the other astronauts. These three just really won the draw.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
It would mean a lot more if not said by the president who killed NASA's manned space program, and hadn't had Armstrong publicly speaking against his policies on NASA.

But what should he say then? "Yeah, he was a good guy, but we didn't see eye to eye?"

It's kinda a Catch-22 for him. Anything he'd potentially say will fall short, but he has to and is expected to say something because he's the president. Granted, he kinda boxed himself there, but come on.

Babalu.

This is really sad. Just a few weeks ago when he had some problems, Aldrin made the comment that the two had agreed to be at the 50th anniversary together. Man was a true hero. He almost died twice in preparation to go to the moon. Once on a Gemini mission, and once when training on the LLRV (lunar lander simulator) and he ejected only seconds before crashing.

752px-LLRV_2.jpg

Humbling fact:

That flag was knocked over when they lifted off. Despite all the careful planing of the landing, and what the astronauts would do, it never dawned on anyone that a flag that close to a rocket engine would not take the blast.

The LLRV was a training vehicle only. It was not a prototype lunar lander. The LLRV had an extremely complicated propulsion and control system that attempted to mimic 1/6th gravity so that the astronauts could get a feel for what it would be like maneuvering during lunar landing. The propulsion and control system on the Lunar Module was much simpler. The LLRV was vulnerable to updrafts and crosswinds that would not be a factor on the moon. It flew successfully more than a hundred times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=6Qhcs6qiHLI

Here comes the conspiracy theorists!

On my Facebook a dude is asking "We should have asked Mr. Armstrong if he really walked on the moon? His answer might surprise many..."

Then I replied " He would probably say : No, but I took enough performance enhancing drugs to get to the moon on my bike!"

Such a sad day, the passing of a giant, and people are starting their fucking moon truther bullshit. Give it a rest at least for one day.
Not directed at you, but the facebook dude

DUXaN.png

Mr. RHC

Neil Armstrong reached out to the moon. We will keep reaching out! He will be remembered and he will keep inspiring.

On my Facebook a dude is asking "We should have asked Mr. Armstrong if he really walked on the moon? His answer might surprise many..."

Then I replied " He would probably say : No, but I took enough performance enhancing drugs to get to the moon on my bike!"

Such a sad day, the passing of a giant, and people are starting their fucking moon truther bullshit. Give it a rest at least for one day.

I think i remember reading that someone told him he didn't really walk on the moon and to quit lying.....it didn't end well for that sad, insane person. wish i could find where i read that.

RIP, Neil Armstrong. A great American, a great Trojan, a great human. Such an inspiration for me growing up.

It's a real fucking shame that he had to pass with the current state of our space program, and knowing that the president really has no interest in space exploration.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

Day Buzz Aldrin dies needs to be declared "National 'Punch Someone in the Face Who Says the Moon Was Faked Landing' Day"

B.K.

And the excellent Mini-seires "From the Earth To The Moon" which was made in the spirit of a followup to the Right Stuff, and is specifically about Apollo. And for all you Breaking Bad fans, Bryan Cranston plays Buzz Aldrin.

Which version of the From the Earth to the Moon DVDs have the original aspect ration? I bought the Signature Edition set a couple years ago, but the series was cropped and zoomed for widescreen in that release.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom