• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neil Druckmann interested in making Punisher and Half-Life Games

VulcanRaven

Greg Miller asked this on Twitter:

It would actually be really interesting to see The Punisher game made by Naughty Dog. I'm not sure if they should do it but they know how to make good and violent action games so they might be the right studio for it. I liked The Punisher game from 2004:

Last edited:

Hudo

Half-Life could be a challenge for him because he'd need to figure out how to make something that doesn't take agency away from the player to tell the story, which would be new ground for him.
I mean, I wouldn't ask Miyamoto if he could do a The Last of Us.

MiguelItUp

That PS2/XBOX Punisher game was so good. The gore was ridiculous. Loved it.

Love Half-Life as well! Alyx was great, though I'm still hoping for 3!

That being said, keep that man away from both of these, lmao.

Edit: Well, more so Half-Life than The Punisher, I'm not devoted to anything The Punisher related. Well, and honestly, considering the games he's been attached to in the past I suppose The Punisher could work pretty well. 🤔

Last edited:

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
HAHAHAHAHAHA

No No No GIF

Well, Druckmann did say on record that Half Life 1 was the game that made him want to make games:

"Which video game made you first want to make games?
Half-Life [the seminal 1998 shooter in which you play as a doctor who must fight his way out of a research facility following a botched experiment] was unlike anything I had experienced in a game before. It made me want to dissect it and figure out how the developers were able to achieve it."

Ogbert

Half Life and Valve are the antithesis of ND. They use the craft of game design to teach players how to interact with their world. They’re pretty much the best ‘pure’ designers out there.

Still, I can see why he likes the IP. He’d make a moody corridor game where you press triangle to karate chop a headcrab.

VulcanRaven

That PS2/XBOX Punisher game was so good. The gore was ridiculous. Loved it.

Love Half-Life as well! Alyx was great, though I'm still hoping for 3!

That being said, keep that man away from both of these, lmao.

Edit: Well, more so Half-Life than The Punisher, I'm not devoted to anything The Punisher related. Well, and honestly, considering the games he's been attached to in the past I suppose The Punisher could work pretty well. 🤔
I liked the Punisher game too. The interrogations scenes were great. These would be great with The Last of Us 2 graphics:

Last edited:
Sequel to the Punisher game would be dope with Max Payne 3 gameplay and physics. Gore should be like in Soldier of Fortune but made with modern tech.
Just without Mr. Druckmann.

PSlayer

They do know how to make brutal games but The punisher is right wing-ish at its core no? not sure they can stay faithful to the comics

All his games have been largely the same style/format and he'd really need to break that to tackle some of these, especially H/L. Does he have it in him?

sainraja

I can't wait for Half Life 3, where every jump is semi scripted and every 3 minutes something breaks off beneath you faking danger.

OH and sitting in a bush! can't wait for that.
This is the stupidest criticism that people level at the type of games naughty dog has been making. Linear games existed before naughty dog entered the scene with their games; they decided to put in more effort to make their linear games have a little more depth and realism by focusing on good animations and focusing on character development/interaction and the best you can say to negate all that is scripted?

What type of games are you playing that are not scripted or allow you to do something outside of what the game was designed to allow?

Last edited:

Enjay

Banned
Jeez that'd suck. The Punisher stuck in cover + I could def see them using that punisher story The Final Days where he turned black.

]
PunisherBlack05.jpg

Last edited:
It is interesting that he mentioned Half-Life. Half-Life 2 and The Last of Us are two games I hold in very high regard as examples of well-crafted, memorable single-player campaigns. They're two games where I can remember almost every single moment, despite only playing through one time many years ago. In particular, I remember exploring some of the dilapidated houses in TLOU, not knowing what I'd find, and I recall how at the time that it really reminded me of Highway 17. During gameplay, I get a lot of the same vibes.

Top Bottom