• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neil Druckmann: The Last of Us movie has 'kind of entered development hell'

Status
Not open for further replies.

GCQuinton

i actually think games like assassins creed work better than the last of us for movies.

HEAR ME OUT.

The story in naughty dogs games are undeniably better. Which is why i think it works. Last of us is such a cool story, if the movie was anything but THAT story, its just a zombie movie.

Assassins creed looks like they used it just as the jumping off point, like the inspiration, to make a wholly original story.

That, to me, would work better than copy and pasting what naughty dog did great already

Yeah, AC feels like it was built for that. Like the comics and other transmedia stuff, it all takes place in continuity and each story can be its own thing.

Like (nearly) every single movie game adaptation ever. TLOU is basically better than a movie already, one that you get to feel and experience as you play through. It's the same reason that a Mass Effect movie would suck.

This. I hesitate to say it because some people take this as being a legitimate criticism, but what made The Last of Us unique was that it was a game that through gameplay and it's relationship to the story it was already very cinematic. It excelled in that synthesis.

Elitist1945

What makes video games so compelling is the interactivity you have with them. It helps with connecting to the characters/story better. Movies based of video games are essentially downgrades, and I probably wouldn't get emotionally involved with the plot/characters.

Just how I see it.

Memento

1.5 year without any progress? Yeah, this is never coming out.

Which is great honestly. A TLOU movie is such a stupid idea...

I'm not even bothered in the slightest. Tomb raider is still struggling to get a new movie out... hope they get Daisy Ridley. Uncharted is still a ? and last of us movie is likely dead.

Some casting ideas from me:

Josh Brolin as Joel (image is from True Grit):
2mBfEVT.jpg

Mackenzie Foy as Ellie (image is from Interstellar):
BVEpVdA.jpg

W. Earl Brown (Bill himself) as Bill:
Clo8e1D.jpg

and John Hakes as David:
etN4wnP.jpg

A Boy And His Dog, The Road, and like a thousand other post apocalyptic road trip movies exists, along with TLoUs story being pretty cliché there's not exactly a need for a movie to exist.

I don't think TLoU Story or characters would be morph into a good movie. TLoU was a nice experience as an interactive movie, but the story would not stand the test of a movie, at least not a good one.

Walpurgis

Banned
I for one am shocked a movie announced immediately after the release of a game has entered development hell.

*looks at Bioshock, Deus Ex, Dark Void, Uncharted, Mass Effect, Metroid Prime...*

LMAO at Dark Void and Metroid Prime.
Some casting ideas from me:

Josh Brolin as Joel (image is from True Grit):
2mBfEVT.jpg

Mackenzie Foy as Ellie (image is from Interstellar):
BVEpVdA.jpg

W. Earl Brown (Bill himself) as Bill:
Clo8e1D.jpg

and John Hakes as David:
etN4wnP.jpg

Those are great. Not sure about Ellie though. That girl looks soft. Maybe she was tomboyish in Interstellar though I can't remember.

You know what they need to do? Rather than retreading the game, the movie should follow Henry and Sam, ending where their interaction with Joel and Ellie ends.

4lejandro

A Boy And His Dog, The Road, and like a thousand other post apocalyptic road trip movies exists, along with TLoUs story being pretty cliché there's not exactly a need for a movie to exist.

My thoughts exactly, don't think there's much on the non interactive front that TLoU could bring to the table.

I came in to say I was proud of the board making it one page without stupid fucking photos of people that 'should' be playing these characters in a movie.

Then I clicked into the second page...

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Why do game adaptions always enter production hell?

I remember reading that most of these production studios buy up rights to video game IPs so their competitors cant buy it. The studio actually has no plans to make a movie out of it, they just want the rights so someone else wont be able to make it.

Basically they're not going to make the movie, they just dont want anyone else making it either.

...so why is it worshipped in game form?

I think it because it has moments like Ish's story to fill in the blanks of this not-so original main story. You just can't pull off all the character development and world building that Last of Us has to offer and put it into a 2 hour movie.
lastofushor6.jpg

Damn I still get chills thinking about it.

Didn't see this posted.

I'm glad this is the case, honestly. They can never get game adaptations right.
Never say never

It's absolutely a matter of when, not if

But yeah, trying to adapt TLOU, which it seemed like they were doing, wouldn't have worked. A story set in the world would have been a better idea

We already have 'The Road' so what's the point of this again?
What's the point of any movie, if the concern is that the tone or atmosphere might be similar?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom