• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neil Druckmann: The Last of Us movie has 'kind of entered development hell'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vinc

Just let ND make it a CGI movie.

Their real-time rendering tech is really at the point where I'd watch a full CG movie from them.

Also, I love Neil Druckmann's candidness. Hope the movie turns out okay, if it really has to happen.

Worshipped by a few thousand video game enthusiasts on gaming boards. Doesn't exactly mean its a great story that demands to be told in cinema.

Logan was rather close to the beats of TLOU(ignoring killer fungus/zombies with attached tropes), and was lauded for the story approach in the genre. Mind you, that was in respect to the genre, and it's not like we're talking Best Picture/Drama nominations. Children of Men was also critically received well. The Road is a bit more detached despite the traveling pair and post-apocalyptic setting, but was similar and an inspiration. Also received well.

So the story really shouldn't be seen as a negative on the film end. Personally, I'd hope it avoided trying to be a 1:1 adaptation, whether it be a more effective style to suit film over game, or something set in that world which is closely related (Joel in Texas, see what happened in the city, relive THAT night, show the journey to being a monster like a cliff note Walter White, end with Ellie and there's the sequel set up that allows breathing room).

With Neil having written the film's script, I have more confidence in this being decent than any other adaptation, but I'm still hoping this stays in development hell. The game is perfect and gains nothing from an adaptation.

Dabanton

A game is interactive which papers over some of the more 'generic' elements of the story and allows us to explore locations a bit more.

When these things become movies it becomes obvious why they should have remained as games.

I think it because it has moments like Ish's story to fill in the blanks of this not-so original main story. You just can't pull off all the character development and world building that Last of Us has to offer and put it into a 2 hour movie.
lastofushor6.jpg

Damn I still get chills thinking about it.

Holy shit uh, is that from Last of Us?

I haven't played it yet (despite wanting to, and owning the remaster on PS4 for ages) but wow that image is really.. fuck. That fucked me up right there. Damn. I bet if I'd been playing and came across that I would have cried or something, even just imagining the setting and circumstances to finding something like that is getting to me.

Getting my taxes in on time got me shook as fuck right now apparently I can't even deal with a video game screen o_O

Mr.Fox

I think Justin Theroux would make a good fit for Joel.
the-leftovers.jpeg

Dude, what was that grave digging all of a sudden. The thread is almost a year old. D:

Well, since the thread is alive again:
After seeing Logan and it not meeting my expectations at all (yeh, there were some good moments here and there, but there was a lot of shallow hollywood bullshit still, specially on the second half of the movie), I hope this Last of Us movie come out, and hope for it to be good.

Fuchsdh

wtf... I didn't even know it was a thing for that long. I'd say we are beyond development hell.

Not really. It regularly takes half a decade or more for adaptations to reach fruition. Dev hell should probably be reserved for the Duke Nukem Forevers of production histories. That said, given the amount of time since the OP, it's probably safe to say it's dead. Game adaptations seem only valuable for their "that's what the kids like these days?" impact on film execs. So this will funnel in alongside stuff like the BioShock movie in "never happening" territory. Unless Last of Us 2 does crazy numbers.

I haven't played it yet (despite wanting to, and owning the remaster on PS4 for ages) but wow that image is really.. fuck. That fucked me up right there. Damn. I bet if I'd been playing and came across that I would have cried or something, even just imagining the setting and circumstances to finding something like that is getting to me.

Getting my taxes in on time got me shook as fuck right now apparently I can't even deal with a video game screen o_O

I am actually surprised you missed it. Then again a lot of what makes this whole scenario hit you in the feels is finding the Ish's diary notes that serve as context for the whole sewer level. It was a legit good piece of environmental storytelling. I hope TLOU 2 has more.

geomon

Oh man, just wait til you find out the story behind it.

Jonnax

Logan pretty much took a lot of inspiration from the Last of Us at least from my watch of it.

Of course some film buff will tell me that Last of us actually is a copy of another film.

But what it means is that the average cinema goer will think that The Last of Us is a cheap rip off of Logan.

OniBaka

Logan pretty much took a lot of inspiration from the Last of Us at least from my watch of it.

Of course some film buff will tell me that Last of us actually is a copy of another film.

But what it means is that the average cinema goer will think that The Last of Us is a cheap rip off of Logan.
Hugh jackman will make a fantastic Joel judging from Logan.

More so, The Last of Us took a lot of inspiration from the genre. The director claimed to not know what the Last of Us was before filming. Honestly, I believe him. Patterns can be found in anything, if you want them to see them.

Neil wears his love of TLoU too overtly on his sleeve.

When he said he was writing the script for the movie while co-directing Uncharted 4...

When he occasionally drops tweets about how much he misses that universe during UC4 development...

You could tell he was so, so, so, eager to get to work on a new TLoU game.

I am actually surprised you missed it. Then again a lot of what makes this whole scenario hit you in the feels is finding the Ish's diary notes that serve as context for the whole sewer level. It was a legit good piece of environmental storytelling. I hope TLOU 2 has more.
Oh I haven't played it at all. Not super concerned about it being a spoiler because I have absolutely no context at all and I'm sure if it starts to dawn on me when I do play it that I'm in that area I'm gonna get messed up

Oh man, just wait til you find out the story behind it.

I've been putting off playing it because I SUCK at scary games, is this damn thing gonna make me cry too!?

sphinx

the piano man
Neil wears his love of TLoU too overtly on his sleeve.

When he said he was writing the script for the movie while co-directing Uncharted 4...

When he occasionally drops tweets about how much he misses that universe during UC4 development...

You could tell he was so, so, so, eager to get to work on a new TLoU game.

well, he (the dev team?) seems to be really into interactive story telling, the TLOU lends itself much better for that sort of approach.

also UC4 was very likely an order from Sony higher ups, he may like both series equally but when forced to work and develop on one of them, that has to change your appreciation of it

I agree that this could only end up being "meh" and pale in comparison to the impact the game had.

I know it wouldn't work for me without the performances that brought those characters to life in the first place.

It just would NOT be the same.

Nah. A few slip through the cracks and are horrible, or bomb horribly, or both. Like Assassins Creed. That came out, remember? It was only 6 months ago, but I had genuinely forgotten the other day.

Yeah; last year saw Assassin's Creed and Warcraft (I quite liked Warcraft but it wasn't a good movie). I wouldn't be surprised if video game movies are put on the back burner for a while.

...so why is it worshipped in game form?

If you're referring specifically to the plot, I think people "worship" it more for the storytelling than the actual story itself. It has good pacing, good dialogue, characters with depth and extremely good voice acting. The plot itself is relatively humdrum.

Worshipped by a few thousand video game enthusiasts on gaming boards. Doesn't exactly mean its a great story that demands to be told in cinema.

"A few thousand video game enthusiasts". Lol. Sure thing bud; it's only sold about 10 million copies and is one of the most celebrated games of all time (95% MC, both versions).

Good, Last of us will never work as movie anyway.

You're right. It would work way better on Netflix.

Season 1: Joel and Tommy Raider Brothers + Joel Backstory + intro to Ellie
Season 2: Joel and Tess Enforcers + Left Behind Backstory
Season 3: Escape from Boston
Season 4-5: Bills town -> ECU
Season 6: Winter -> End

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom