• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neil Druckmann's Response To Uncharted 4 Black Character Controversy

Status
Not open for further replies.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
You ever stop to think that maybe there are more white VA because they pursue the industry harder and become more talented, regardless of color?

Much like how Black sprinters typically run faster and are more prominent in the Olympics. Is it down to color, or maybe because they train harder than other people, regardless of color?

This focus on color over character furthers the divide between ethnicities. Again the lack of black characters in games can be attributed to those with creative power, the lack of highly talented black VA or any other number of reasons.

Or are you so focused on a video games characters skin that the person voiceing them must also be black? Are you so insecure about the identity of the character being associated as simply a "black woman" that you feel the need to reinforce it with a black voice actress?

When I see Nadine Ross, I see more than her skin. Apparently you dont.
You stack the bullshit pretty high, don't you?

McBryBry

It would be a problem if white characters and VA actors where the minority on this industry, which is clear not the problem we are facing...

Is there an issue that black actors are the minority? Yes. I acknowledge that. But there's nothing wrong with the white woman playing this character, just like there is no problem with the black VO playing the white character. Laura Bailey was picked for her talent, that's why she got the role. They didn't pick her because she's white, otherwise they probably wouldn't have gotten a black VO in the first place for a different character. I think they're under represented. I don't think this is the place to try and start a revolution. Nothing wrong has happened here.

PBY

Banned
So you post a gif and say my argument is bizarre without critiquing it critically like I did yours?

You're doing a good job of standing your ground and backing your opinion. Im not saying the reason for so few black characters is solely down to few black VA's, its an example that no one including myself has proven or disproven.
You made a bigoted post. It's not on the world to educate you. You can look inward and try to see why it's so problematic, but most people won't be swayed on issues like this.

So I'll leave it by saying that it's a supremely shitty way to view this world.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
TLOU is a good video game story but nothing more .
It does not deal with issue like where characters grow up , race, how it effect them etc etc .
Nadine as a character within the game world won't go into those aspect .
I hope you are understanding my point ?
Well, the thing is that if you decide to make a certain character a specific gender, race, or sexuality you are making some kind of point - whether you intend to or not.

I'm sure they didn't think it was a problem when they did it and didn't expect this discussion to happen at all... but because these issues are important now, it's one of the unavoidable realities of cultural production.

Kazaam

The point you're making is logically sound and the ideal but sadly isn't representative of reality. Yes, ideally, race should not influence the decision of casting. In an ideal world, casting would be done solely on merit.

But we don't live in an ideal world. If we did, black people wouldn't be so woefully underrepresented in the industry and the market wouldn't be so susceptible to racial biases.

We can work towards fixing that - or come as close to as it possible anyhow - by promoting diversity on and off the screen, but in the meantime, given the realiy we live in, casting black actors in white roles isn't going to hurt representation of white people, on or off the screen.

Casting white actors in black actors will because there are so little black roles to begin with.

I perfectly understand what you're saying and why in many ways you are right. However just because the world is not ideal, I don't think my idealistic views should be limited and therefore I should think white people shouldn't play a certain character. My liberal self thinks we should all think like this (and we need to keep fighting to get there) and while I perfectly realise that is not the case, once again I don't think limiting or forbidding is the right way to go. We discussed earlier that in order to reach equality we have to go through equity.
Because in the US republicans have some fucked up ideas in their head doesn't mean they shouldn't be able to vote. I don't know if that's actually a good example, but my point is that in a democracy everybody has the right to vote.

I also want to say that this has definitely been the most interesting discussion I've been a part of on neogaf and I'm very glad. I think there's so much to talk about and I hope this discussion keeps going. I also hope people are open minded enough that they don't come into a/this dialogue with an already set mind that doesn't accept change or understanding of opinions. I also think this thread for a long time now hasn't been about Naughty Dog, Nadine or Uncharted anymore.

Yes. Seems like its not enough for some people though. Even after listening to Neil's explanations there are posts here that he didnt commit fully to diversity or whatever.

And they're well within their right to feel that way — ND can consider that in the future, and they could've thought ahead whether they want a main character to be black so that they can take up the opportunity to cast a black actress. It's not unreasonable to not be 100% satisfied with the situation, either because one thinks ND's at fault or otherwise. They're not in the wrong for being unsatisfied, and my opinion isn't any more valid because I am, partially.

Also, as an aside, some people said the issue doesn't matter at all, and made comments like this:

Horrible complains generally don't need responses, so I have to give props for bothering.

and I wouldn't assume everyone who disagrees with me to hold such opinions (and those happen to not deserve much credence), or use that as reason to shut down the discussion overall.

Akara

Banned
Something interesting I just read

"Interestingly enough, since you ask about voice-over work, you'd be amazed at how much voice-over work, especially today, is about as close to being "racially blind" as any industry could be. I'd highly recommend seeing the documentary I Know That Voice (2013). John DiMaggio (best known as the voice of Bender in Futurama) is actually mentioned by some of his co-actors as the "blackest white man they know" because of his ability to perform black characters so convincingly. In voice-over work, you'd be amazed at how many of the voices in things that you have heard are completely opposite of what you'd think the voice actor would look like.

What it comes down to is that, like all performance art forms, it's entirely subjective. If an actor does something tastefully and for a valid artistic purpose, things like playing another race entirely can be perfectly acceptable. But 90% of the time, you'll find that any attempt to play race differently usually ends up a gross caricaturization of racial stereotypes that does more harm than good."

Linky https://www.quora.com/Is-an-actor-p...politically-incorrect-What-about-voice-acting

He didn't understand how your view could be so shitty. Double down tho.

You really think underrepresentation is a product of white people trying harder in the industry?

One reason given as an example. Clearly you guys don't read counter arguments fully, nor do you take them in and think beyond your initial thoughts. If you can't be constructive and continue to be dismissive then there is no point in discussion.

You stack the bullshit pretty high, don't you?

If my opinion really is as wrong or bigoted as you say, without telling me why I wont learn. Prove me wrong.

This whole topic spiraled out from a black character being voiced by a white VA's. All my arguments are relating to this original discussion point. You all made it about the entire misrepresentation in the industry, which I can accept and understand your viewpoints. However the points I raised I didn't say were gospel, you all had kneejerk reactions to it without explaining why.

PBY

Banned
One reason given as an example. Clearly you guys don't read counter arguments fully, nor do you take them in and think beyond your initial thoughts. If you can't be constructive and continue to be dismissive then there is no point in discussion.
What is the rational counter to an argument based on a bigoted premise?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Something interesting I just read

"Interestingly enough, since you ask about voice-over work, you'd be amazed at how much voice-over work, especially today, is about as close to being "racially blind" as any industry could be. I'd highly recommend seeing the documentary I Know That Voice (2013). John DiMaggio (best known as the voice of Bender in Futurama) is actually mentioned by some of his co-actors as the "blackest white man they know" because of his ability to perform black characters so convincingly. In voice-over work, you'd be amazed at how many of the voices in things that you have heard are completely opposite of what you'd think the voice actor would look like.

What it comes down to is that, like all performance art forms, it's entirely subjective. If an actor does something tastefully and for a valid artistic purpose, things like playing another race entirely can be perfectly acceptable. But 90% of the time, you'll find that any attempt to play race differently usually ends up a gross caricaturization of racial stereotypes that does more harm than good."

The Knick, the tv show starring Clive Owen, recently featured two characters in black face. But it's a show set in the early 20th century making a point about race relations in the United States, so no one is up in arms about it.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
It's good that he explained the matter, but I am still confused as to why people view others making it a controversy (before the explanation) was such a wrong thing to do, what's with all the "wait, there's a controversy?" blah blah comments.

I mean, people rightfully condemned Hollywood when they whitewash actors like in the case of 21 or Gods of Egypt. Why can't people expect black characters to be played by black actors here as well, in the sense that it gives black actors more opportunity to flourish in a field dominated by white performers?

Again, it's good that he explained it, and hearing his explanation was satisfactory enough I guess, but people blaming others for getting upset when they find out that the black character was played by a white actor was just weird for me personally.

You're probably not getting "constructive" comments because you post asinine stuff like this:

a type of response that gets tossed around a lot in order to dismiss talk of race issues. You might not have that intention, but it is a well-worn type of attempt to sabotage and undermine discussion.

you guys (internet) will literally bitch and complain about anything.

Not saying anyone here in particular.

Such a cop out, cowardly comment.

Akara

Banned
It's good that he explained the matter, but I am still confused as to why people view others making it a controversy (before the explanation) was such a wrong thing to do, what's with all the "wait, there's a controversy?" blah blah comments.

I mean, people rightfully condemned Hollywood when they whitewash actors like in the case of 21 or Gods of Egypt. Why can't people expect black characters to be played by black actors, in the sense that it gives black actors more opportunity to flourish in a field dominated by white performers?

Again, it's good that he explained it, and hearing his explanation was satisfactory enough, but people blaming others for getting upset when they find out that the black character was played by a white actor was just weird for me personally.

I think because that's different. VA is known to be a racially blind profession apparently.

Well, the thing is that if you decide to make a certain character a specific gender, race, or sexuality you are making some kind of point - whether you intend to or not.

I'm sure they didn't think it was a problem when they did it and didn't expect this discussion to happen at all... but because these issues are important now, it's one of the unavoidable realities of cultural production.

You don't have to be making a point or it being a major aspect of it .
You can just think it's cool or is a awesome idea.

You ever stop to think that maybe there are more white VA because they pursue the industry harder and become more talented, regardless of color?

Much like how Black sprinters typically run faster and are more prominent in the Olympics. Is it down to color, or maybe because they train harder than other people, regardless of color?

This focus on color over character furthers the divide between ethnicities. Again the lack of black characters in games can be attributed to those with creative power, the lack of highly talented black VA or any other number of reasons.

Or are you so focused on a video games characters skin that the person voiceing them must also be black? Are you so insecure about the identity of the character being associated as simply a "black woman" that you feel the need to reinforce it with a black voice actress?

This can't be real.

I refuse to believe it.

This is just another Neogaf meme I didn't know about.

This is an awful situation for me because I love Laura Bailey but the rare appearance of a black woman in a video game being voiced by a white woman is one of those ass-backwards moments that spawned as a result of the shockwaves left behind by a nation founded on white supremacy. People talking about meritocracy are either blind or ignorant to the reality of American history. This is a country that was literally founded on the destruction and exploitation of brown people; the Civil Rights Movement was only a few decades ago. There are people alive right now that found their basic human rights consistently denied based on the color of their skin and jokers are talking about meritocracy like the starting line is the same for everybody, or ever has been in America. This industry is still lacking diversity and has managed to give birth to monsters like GamerGate doing their damndest to keep women out of the gaming. These discussions need to happen and anyone complaining about "outrage culture" or how this was magically not a problem before can fuck right off into outer space while I change the stupid lock and smelt their key.

Nadine Ross is a bizarre half-step in an industry in desperate need of a giant leap, and America hasn't earned the benefit of the doubt yet. It sounds like a fucked up situation for Druckmann, though I guess that's what happens when a character is black after the fact, instead of fully committing from the get-go.

"Lack of diversity is because only whites are interested" + "talking about racial issues makes you the real racist," all wrapped up in one, huh?

Come on folks.

The voice actor of DARTH VADER, you know...Luke Skywalker's DADDY...is
a black man.

Can't have a problem with this, regardless of industry representation, and not have a problem with Darth Vader.

Yes, representation is an issue.

In this instance though, I don't see one.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I don't really have a problem with somebody voice acting somebody of a different race.

Voice acting and "regular" acting are different things to a certain degree.

Essentially as long as you sound convincing it doesn't really matter.

When you start getting into performance capture and stuff, it starts to blur the lines a bit, so I'm not really sure how I feel about that stuff in general.

I think Naughty Dog is okay here.

Is there an issue that black actors are the minority? Yes. I acknowledge that. But there's nothing wrong with the white woman playing this character, just like there is no problem with the black VO playing the white character. Laura Bailey was picked for her talent, that's why she got the role. They didn't pick her because she's white, otherwise they probably wouldn't have gotten a black VO in the first place for a different character. I think they're under represented. I don't think this is the place to try and start a revolution. Nothing wrong has happened here.

The intention, which by all lights, seems pure enough, regarding the decision, dosn't matter, what matters is the result, which is a black character portrayed and voiced by white VA actor.

People are taking issue with this fact, which people has all the right to do so, when the current industry has such a great problem with diversity. Because we, people, question these things is how we can face and resolve such problems.

Facing these issues with arguments like "is ok when a black dude voices a white dude" dosn't really take into consideration the problem.

Maybe this particular instance isn't as aggravating as others (like the lack of non-white leads), but dosn't mean they aren't worth taking into consideration and discuss about it.

Why it was even an issue is just weird.

Exactly, where can I find the thread on Gaf where there was a issue over this? I am reading YouTube comments which one should never do and most of the comments are people shitting on Gaf calling it a racist community that supports pedophiles. I have been a Gafer for almost 2 years and I can't remember ever experiencing anything like that on here.

I think because that's different. VA is known to be a racially blind profession apparently.

Mocap introduces a new type of acting that blurs lines between VA and live-action — really realistic characters that have to be a certain percentage similar to their actor in order to work. In the context of history where (white, at least in America) people have mocked/dehumanized other races through media, it can hearken back to that time (though it still happens, just not as outwardly).

I think people are kind of focusing on the wrong problem here.
The fact that the skin color was decided so late in the process pretty much means that skin color has absolutely nothing to do with her character, but that also means that her cultural background probably doesn't have anything to do with her character, which means that all the people praising ND for diversity and what not should not do so in this case. It is easy for developers to just palette swap characters and fill their minority quotas, but it would be even better if they actually took time to incorporate the different experience and culture that the character would exhibit as a result of the said color.

However I think this is why more diversification needs to occur behind the scenes in the video games industry. It is tough for people to write about the cultural experiences and problems that certain skin colors and geographical backgrounds may entail if the designers and writers don't have a lot of experience with that demographic/culture/history.

A similar thing happened to the Witcher 3 where people complained that the main game had almost no minority presence, so they tried to improve it in the DLC and they did, but mostly on the outside, you had cool Eastern weapon and clothes design, but from a story and character perspective there was still nothing.

Really nice to see Gaf have a sober conversation about this. ND didn't do anything wrong. The problem was when I saw a black character I mistook it for black representation. What ND actually gave us was blackness as decoration.

If you ask 10 black people how they want to be represented in media you'll get 10 different answers. It's complicated and personal. It's also extremely difficult to explain to folks that see "themselves" in media all the time why it's important.

I'm one of the people that was disappointed. It wasn't a controversy. I'm not mad at ND. But, I did express my disappointment with a handful of other people and I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

Slayven

This post actually reminded me of an interview done by Reagan Gomez-Preston a VA, you might know her as Roberta on the Cleveland Show. She talked a good bit about how it is hard for POC voice actors, in some ways worse than regular hollywood because the voice acting community is way more close knit.

So i am calling bullshit on your post

PBY

Banned
Really nice to see Gaf have a sober conversation about this. ND didn't do anything wrong. The problem was when I saw a black character I mistook it for black representation. What ND actually gave us was blackness as decoration.

If you ask 10 black people how they want to be represented in media you'll get 10 different answers. It's complicated and personal. It's also extremely difficult to explain to folks that see "themselves" in media all the time why it's important.

I'm one of the people that was disappointed. It wasn't a controversy. I'm not mad at ND. But, I did express my disappointment with a handful of other people and I don't think there's anything wrong with that.
This is a good post.

If a black VA voiced a white character it wouldn't bother me, as long as the VA was chosen as they best represent the character, regardless of color.

How am I a bigot or a racist because I can acknowledge that there is more to a characters portrayal than their skin color?

To address this controversy more specifically:

There seemingly being fewer minority voice actors to portray their minority is an industry problem, but no single company should be vilified or criticized simply because they used a white voice actor to play a minority. Context matters. Was the minority character always supposed to be a minority character? Does the studio have a good relationship or even a contract with a talented voice actor they feel capable of capturing the performance? Do they want the voice actor to voice multiple different races/characters?

Basically, if the voice acting in the finished product sounds insensitive, like a caricature, then we can call into question the casting choice. But if a British person plays an American, should we get upset? If a female plays a teenage boy, should we start threads about it? They are essentially the same thing.

Again, I'll repeat: there being an industry wide issue of minority voice actors is an issue. Frankly, at least in America, there is a general issue of minority representation in a lot of fields be it art, industry, etc. It is a problem unfortunately. But we shouldn't question every artist, every business without context and without responsibility.

Cant believe Druckmann actually answered to this. This is a non-issue. It's a fucking videogame goddamnit. They have the choice of choosing the voice actor for any character. If Nathan Drake was voiced by a 3 year old asian girl and would FIT in the game.. I dont see the problem. Bart simpson was voiced by an adult woman. Druckmann said a white character is voiced by a black person so where is the issue? I really don't understand the problem Give developers the choice to choose who voices their fictional characters for gods sakes

U make great points. I think the analogies may be off.

Lack of black characters is the real issue. ND did good!

Companies who lack minority characters in their AAA games should be ashamed.

Wish people would put their energy there instead.

Daingurse

Come on folks.

The voice actor of DARTH VADER, you know...Luke Skywalker's DADDY...is
a black man.

Can't have a problem with this, regardless of industry representation, and not have a problem with Darth Vader.

Yes, representation is an issue.

In this instance though, I don't see one.

The inverse is not the same, and it's irritating to see it come up again and again. There's no under representation of white characters, they are the incredible majority in both movies and games. It's not the same shit.

One of my favorite baseball players is Curtis Granderson, but I don't think his kind should be allowed to play baseball. They force their way into a great land with a rich, established tradition. You would think they would respect that. Instead they try to make their own rules and push their own bastardized culture on those coerced into putting up with them. It doesn't seem right because it's not. Sometimes I wish they would just let things be and stop trying to push their own agendas and appreciate that we even give them the time of day. And that's why I hate the fucking Mets.

MisterR

Wrote this in another thread

I hope people don't see this as a reason to disregard issues like this in the future but I'm afraid some have already done so.

Unfortunately the consequence of people creating bullshit controversy about everything is that when there are actual issues they are disregarded.

Akara

Banned
Mocap introduces a new type of acting that blurs lines between VA and live-action — really realistic characters that have to be a certain percentage similar to their actor in order to work. In the context of history where (white, at least in America) people have mocked/dehumanized other races through media, it can hearken back to that time (though it still happens, just not as outwardly).

Until Dawn uses the likeliness of all the actors so there's no problem with that. All the actors are basically the characters in the video game.

Mo-Cap definitely blurs that line and for many different reasons. A character is developed from the ground up and isn't an exact copy of that person unless its a game like Until Dawn. Laura Bailey seemed to have nailed a character for herself and Naughty Dog went with it right?

How do we portray characters such as children utilizing a much older person for voice acting purposes?

This is an interesting conversation and I think Mo-Cap stands between VA and Acting.

PBY

Banned
U make great points. I think the analogies may be off.

Lack of black characters is the real issue. ND did good!

Companies who lack minority characters in their AAA games should be ashamed.

With people put their energies there instead
You make good points? I'm talking crazy pills.

I can change "black" with "women", "white" with "men" and I could see a gamergate post right here.

Ricky_R

You don't need to be more direct. You need to peel your eyes and take the time to comprehend what you read instead of trying to catch me with a "Gotcha!"

I wasn't trying to "get ya", I was genuinely curious to know since I got the impression you weren't convinced by it.

lol, again with that controlling BS. ND don't "deserve" anything. They made one game that I really enjoyed where they did right by their black characters. One.

It's not only one, but their last one. They not only represented black people well, but they also tackled homosexuallity very respectfully.

Anyway, If they don't deserve the benefit of the doubt when they had good reason to, then they don't deserve the criticism they got for no reason at all. It works both ways.

Hispanics and Latinos pretty much enjoy the same ain't status as black people so I hope your dream comes true. In the meantime, it'd be dope if you wouldn't moan about the process of getting there.

What do you mean by moan? Does it bother you that there's people who think that there's a place for everything? That you don't need to discuss every issue, everywhere, every time, specially when it's unreasonable given the context?

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016

"If you see color you have issues"

This is a classic dismissive response used all over the Internet in relation to race issues. A response that shows the author is woefully ignorant about the real factors at play.

Curufinwe

I mean, people rightfully condemned Hollywood when they whitewash actors like in the case of 21 or Gods of Egypt. Why can't people expect black characters to be played by black actors here as well, in the sense that it gives black actors more opportunity to flourish in a field dominated by white performers?

Again, it's good that he explained it, and hearing his explanation was satisfactory enough I guess, but people blaming others for getting upset when they find out that the black character was played by a white actor was just weird for me personally.

Because there's no reason a voice actor has to look like the character they are playing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom