• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neil Patrick Harris to play Count Olaf in Netflix 'Series of Unfortunate Events'

Status
Not open for further replies.
bQexUqb.gif

Via Hollywood Reporter.

Mark Hudis ('True Blood') is exiting his role as showrunner on the straight-to-series adapatation.

Neil Patrick Harris is returning to the small screen.

How I Met Your Mother grad Harris is in negotiations to star in Netflix’s adaptation of the best-selling children’s book A Series of Unfortunate Events, The Hollywood Reporter has learned. Additionally, Mark Hudis has exited the straight-to-series drama as showrunner. A replacement has yet to be named. Netflix declined comment.

Paramount Television is producing the series in association with Netflix with Daniel Handler, the author of the books who uses the pen name Lemony Snicket, executive producing.

A Series of Unfortunate Events tells the tale of orphaned children Violet, Klaus and Sunny Baudelaire who finds themselves in the villainous clutches of an evil uncle named Count Olaf who has designs on their family fortune.

Jim Carrey played the plum and showy role of the uncle in the 2004 movie that also starred Meryl Streep. Now Harris would play him. The movie was directed by Barry Sonnenfeld who has also been tapped to direct the new series.

Jim Carrey played the plum and showy role of the uncle in the 2004 movie that also starred Meryl Streep. Now Harris would play him. The movie was directed by Barry Sonnenfeld who has also been tapped to direct the new series.
Netflix is a genius.

Kas

He was a great Dr Horrible, but Jim Carrey nailed Count Olaf in the movie. It was the only true to the books part, in my feel.

harSon

Banned
I would have never came up with that casting on my own, but now that it's out there... it's actually a really good fit. I like it.

HowZatOZ

Banned
I actually enjoyed the movie despite it not following the books closely. Was rather enjoyable for its time. Keen to see how the Netflix series will turn out but I'm sure Harris will be great.

Toothless

I'll be the minority but this was my reaction.

NPH has yet to impress me dramatically, and this makes me think they'll go Jim Carrey broad with this show. Ugh. Hopefully he proves me wrong.

Curiocity

What! But..he's so adorable! I can't see it. I mean I willsee it, like hell yeah, but I agree with Jim Carrey being such an easy default great Olaf, so this is shakin up my turf a little.

I'm not crazy about this choice. I'm surprised it's received so well so far here. But I'm willing to stay optimistic. It just leaves me curious as to where the tone of the show will be. The books were always straddling being incredibly dark and funny at the same time. I'm afraid the show will go too goofy. NPH's presence doesn't assuage that fear. But I'm going to keep my hopes up. Daniel Handler is involved in the show, so hopefully he can keep everything on message. Still incredibly hyped.

Valhelm

contribute something
That's not great casting. I like Neil Patrick Harris, but Olaf's character has a necessary darkness that I don't think he could provide.

Gimme Tim Roth or Ralph Fiennes

SpaceWolf

Banned
Really disappointed with this choice.

One of the most crucial lynch-pins in regards to Count Olaf's characterization in the books is that he's an older man who's long past his prime. He's a narcissistic, incredibly vain character who often indulges in arrogant fantasies that allow him to convince himself that he's younger than he really is...often boasting about his youthful good looks and his natural flair for style, whilst in actuality, he's just a grotesque, conceited old man who can do nothing but envy and abuse the people around him.

All that works in tandem with Count Olaf's relatively advanced age, I feel. So casting a good looking, young actor like Neil Patrick Harris to my mind kind of entirely defeats the purpose of the character.

e9vl3UD.png

Doesn't help that the guy is literally one of my most hated celebrities either.

Ah well. I'll try to remain positive. It all comes down to Harris's performance in the end.

Sai

I didn't even know this was a thing. I kind of enjoyed the movie, and still recall the soundtrack when I'm reminded of it. The Letter that Never Came was pleasant.

The ending of this show is gonna piss so many people off.
Only seen the movie, but it seems to
just kind of trail off right when you expect exposition
, based on the wiki description.

[EDIT] - Not even sure if that's worth a spoiler tag, but I'm doing it just in case. :/

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Didn't Hudis get booted from the showrunner role of True Blood as well, like midway through a season? I wonder what the story behind that is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom