• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neil Patrick Harris to play Count Olaf in Netflix 'Series of Unfortunate Events'

Status
Not open for further replies.

EpicBox

Don't think he can possibly do as well as Jim Carrey but we'll see.

I really hope they change the ending from the books. From the very start of the series it said no happy ending, but it didn't say unresolved plot threads left, right and centre.

I'll take NPH as anything, I don't know how he handles dramatic materiel but he can pull off anything with a lighter tone on charm alone.

Luigi87

My legit reaction
giphy.gif

CazTGG

Not my first choice, but a good one nonetheless. Much as I enjoy Jim Carrey's performance in the movie... he's not Count Olaf. He's far too likable and nowhere near the sadistic, inhuman arson-loving monster (who, if I recall, was implied to want to have sex with Violet in the book which...yeah. They're related, by the by.) that the character should have been in the film. Maybe they planned to get more into that narcissistic nature of Olaf in the teased sequel but even if that's the case, Carrey's portrayal was played too safely. While I am cautious that they may see a repeat of that in this miniseries, ultimately I would imagine that they won't repeat that mistake yet again. Personally, i'm still waiting on hearing who will direct this (Tim Burton would be a match made in heaven) before I get overly excited about a new Series of Unfortunate Events adaptation.

Maximus.

Loved the books growing up, was disappointed the movie series didn't go very far. Have high hopes for this show!

Walpurgis

Banned
NPH is a good fit.

Lets see if he can get Jim Carrey's rendition out of my head tho.
Me too. I hope the new actor is so good that he erases Jim Carrey.
A good pick on paper. We'll see. Jim Carrey was fucking perfect.
He really was. I don't know why they didn't just give him a call. It's not like he's doing anything.
Loved the books growing up, was disappointed the movie series didn't go very far. Have high hopes for this show!
I never read the books but I absolutely loved the movie. I waited years for them to adapt the rest of the books.
giphy.gif

A good pick on paper. We'll see. Jim Carrey was fucking perfect.
He had the potential to be, and there are moments where he is, but I think he swung to far towards the goofy side of Olaf and not enough towards the malicious side. You need the humor, for sure, but you also need to be somewhat afraid of him.

He had the potential to be, and there are moments where he is, but I think he swung to far towards the goofy side of Olaf and not enough towards the malicious side. You need the humor, for sure, but you also need to be somewhat afraid of him.

I mean, he did slap the shit out of Klaus and that railroad scene in particular was pretty malevolent. I still think Carrey did a spectacular job. I hate that the film didn't see more success. It's absolutely wonderful.

I never finished the series. I remember wanting to finish the books back in third grade, but after some point I stopped paying attention because of the time in between releases.

VFD, what the fuck do you mean? I refuse to wiki a summary to spoil myself.

I mean, he did slap the shit out of Klaus and that railroad scene in particular was pretty malevolent. I still think Carrey did a spectacular job. I hate that the film didn't see more success. It's absolutely wonderful.
I recall it doing pretty well, but it seems like the fact that they didn't have like three sequels in the pipeline immediately doomed it because the kids got too old.

Glad they're doing this though. I would have even taken Carrey back as Olaf but I'm looking forward to seeing what NPH does with the role, especially later on in the series when he develops a bit out of just being a mustache-twirling villain (I mean he still is, but there's shades of a normal person there).

I recall it doing pretty well, but it seems like the fact that they didn't have like three sequels in the pipeline immediately doomed it because the kids got too old.

Glad they're doing this though. I would have even taken Carrey back as Olaf but I'm looking forward to seeing what NPH does with the role, especially later on in the series when he develops a bit out of just being a mustache-twirling villain (I mean he still is, but there's shades of a normal person there).

It didn't make a return on it's 140m dollar budget. I think the studio was wary of letting Silberling do sequels considering the bloated budget and no sizeable return.

chiimisu

Those photos. Bruh

Will this be a remake or continuation of 2004 movie? I really hope they'll move directly to The Miserable Mill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom