• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Series of Unfortunate Events |OT| The Dreary Discussion - Netflix 1/13

Status
Not open for further replies.

hydruxo

Just finished this, and overall I liked it quite a bit.

One question though - what time period is it supposed to be set in? A lot of the clothing/set design makes it seem like it's not modern times, yet they bring up current technology here and there. That stuff just seemed out of place. Are they just going for an "It Follows" type thing where they purposefully have a mix of time periods?

Edit: Oh, one other general question, how much of Sunny was CG? It seemed like there was a weird CG-ness to her even when you could tell that it was the real baby.

As far as the time period goes, there isn't meant to really be a specific time period. ASOUE has always been purposely anachronistic. It's meant to add to this whole bizarre situation that the Baudelaires find themselves in, and the odd things that they discover. There's computers and telegrams, walkie talkies and fiber optic cables.

A fair amount of Sunny was CGI, but most of it was a real baby. Sometimes it was definitely obvious when it was and when it wasn't, and I hope Netflix ups their budget enough for them to improve her CGI because that was one of my few complaints about the show. All things considered they did a good job with her, because a talking baby who does the weird stuff that Sunny does can't be easy to adapt on screen.

Alastor3

Should I read the books before watching this show?

What I mean is, those the books this worth be reading? is it for children or does adult can still enjoy them?

hydruxo

Should I read the books before watching this show?

What I mean is, those the books this worth be reading? is it for children or does adult can still enjoy them?

Definitely. I mean it's not a must, but the books are fantastic. Anybody can enjoy them, though they were originally written as childrens books. Adults can absolutely still enjoy them. I reread the whole series again in December and they hold up really well.

I'm very happy with how this has been adapted. I feel like the strange humor of the original books is almost perfectly conveyed. I'm very impressed with most of the locations. The music is great, too.

The actors are all great (especially Olaf's troupe) though the children are sometimes wooden. The only casting I felt was poor was Aunt Josephine. The actress seemed to overdo it a little bit. I was skeptical of NPH as Count Olaf but he really sold it. The only critique I would offer is that I hope he and everyone else on the crew take care not to lose the darkness of the books, especially the books that are ahead. I think some of it has been lost already but it isn't too bad at this point. It will be more consequential as they go through the rest of the series.

Speaking of which, I hope The End is rewritten to some extent and we get something more connected to the rest of the series. I don't mind mysteries being left open. But I think the final book felt disconnected and that should be repaired.

Can't wait for the next season.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Slightly late to the party, but as a huge fan of the books, I've just gotten through watching the first season. On the whole, I found this show a little disappointing.

Disliked:
-On the whole I thought the young actors they cast as the Baudelaire Orphans weren't very convincing and a lot of the time seemed thoroughly overwhelmed with the material, although they have shown (very gradual) signs of improvement.
-Neil Patrick Harris made for a very poor Count Olaf. I found his performance far too comical and cartoony, without projecting even so much of an ounce of menace. Although a darkly-comic character on occasion, Count Olaf is the kind of character who you could easily see happily carving up a group of children with a butcher's knife. You never once get such an aura of menace from Harris' rendition of the character, who seems much more interested in delivering punchlines like he's on a particuarly weak episode of How I Met Your Mother.
-Tonally, I think the show is far too whimsical and light...unable to conjure up the almost palpable sense of despair that proved so fundamental to the books. You never get the feeling the children are in any real danger (for instance, take the sequence where Aunt Josephine's house is collapsing, and Klaus is doing inexplicably Matrix cartwheels to whacky music).
-Some very off-putting CG work, especially in relation to Sunny.

Liked:
-Much like with the 2004 film, I felt the series absolutely nailed the quasi-surrealist, timeless aesthetic of the world. Some astonishing set and prop design work.
-Although I ultimately disliked a lot of the performers, I thought Aasif Mandvi was fantastic as Uncle Monty as was Usman Ally as the Hook Handed Man.

REALLY disliked:
-Alfre Woodard. I've enjoyed her in previous roles, but she delivered an astonishingly poor performance as Aunt Josephine. There are certain kinds of actors who seem to feel they don't need to put in much effort when they're performing for children's shows, and I think that was very much the case here.

hydruxo

- First look at Carmelita and some other random cakesniffers

yd923wf629ty.jpg

hydruxo

- Vulture: It’s Hard for Neil Patrick Harris to Text With His Long Nails for A Series of Unfortunate Events

^ He previews his voice as Count Olaf's disguise Coach Genghis in The Austere Academy

- Slashfilm: Barry Sonnenfeld on ‘A Series of Unfortunate Events’ Season 2 [Interview]

When can we expect it to be released? Have you started production yet?

Barry Sonnenfeld: We’re working seven days a week. We’re currently in production for Season 2. I’m not sure that Netflix has officially decided yet, but I would expect it would be sometime in the first quarter of 2018. It won’t be before that but we’re still trying to figure that out based on post-production and some other issues that we got to make sure we can deliver on time.

You took some creative license with the first season, mostly with the twist with the parents at the end. Will you be doing a couple creative flairs like that in the second season?

BS: Yes, we’re creating characters that are not in the book, we’re creating them with Daniel. I was able to convince Daniel that we had to open up the material a little in the book, so there will be some new characters. For instance, in the first season, Larry and Jacquelyn — Larry the waiter who was the anxious clown and Jacquelyn who was the secretary— weren’t really in the books, and they will have a bigger role in the second season. So we’re creating additional great characters that will have entire emotional arcs in season 2. That will hopefully be emotionally satisfying.

Vashetti

Banned
I expect the wait will be longer because they're filming Season 2 and 3 at the same time.

It'll work out for the better though as there won't be an awkward situation of the kids ageing too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom