• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix's Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events | Trailer 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Edit - The OT is up.

Youtube link. Didn't see a thread.

Dear Viewer,

If you are interested in a story with a happy ending, that story is streaming elsewhere. This story has no happy ending, no happy beginning, and very few happy things in the middle.

Based on the internationally best-selling series of books by Lemony Snicket (aka Daniel Handler) and starring Emmy and Tony Award winner Neil Patrick Harris, A Series of Unfortunate Events recounts the tragic tale of the Baudelaire orphans -- Violet, Klaus, and Sunny – whose evil guardian Count Olaf will stop at nothing to get his hands on their inheritance. The siblings must outsmart Olaf at every turn, foiling his many devious plans and disguises, in order to discover clues to their parents’ mysterious death. The eight-episode series is a Netflix original production, executive produced by Emmy Award winner Barry Sonnenfeld and Daniel Handler, and premieres January 13, 2017 only on Netflix. A Netflix Original Series.

Fury451

Banned
I love the look of this but if I'm being honest I'm pretty iffy on NPH and the child actors.

It looks like NPH will give a great performance, but in the pettiest of hangups his voice just does not match what I expect Olaf to sound like.

ibyea

Banned
Man, these trailers keep confirming to me that Neal Patrick Harris is the wrong choice to play count Olaf. Such a terrible casting choice, what a bummer. Everything else seems pretty good though, and my anticipation for this show is pretty high.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
This trailer, I felt, was better than the first. Still not 100% convinced but ultimately I'm gonna watch all of it unless it's completely terrible.

Dmax3901

While I agree NPH isn't a great Olaf this trailer made me realise how great he'll be in all the different disguises.

Wanderer5

Not feeling Olaf, but otherwise looking good so far and is probably when I will finally jump on Netflix. How many books are they covering for this season, 4? Just notice it being only 8 episodes, so that probably it.

hamchan

I see Old Don Draper is Lemony Snicket.

Maybe the ending of this series will make the ending of the books more clear for me.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I liked it better than the first one. NPH looks more convincing in his disguises than as Count Olaf, but I think I'll live. I just hope the kid actors have some charisma that isn't totally outshined by the adult actors. They are the leads, after all.

I don't like that Sir's head is clearly visible, it's supposed to be "hidden by a thick layer of smoke from his ever-burning cigar."

latest

Should have picked Jim Carrey Again imo.

He hasn't really committed to any TV roles since In Living Color, 22 years ago.

munroe

Hmm not sure about count olaf or the children, I really enjoyed the actors in the movie. I've never read the books but are the descriptions of the children explicitly described or are they just trying to match the look of the children in the movie?
I'll still watch it though , still looks entertaining.

I see Old Don Draper is Lemony Snicket.

Maybe the ending of this series will make the ending of the books more clear for me.

The ending is a copout because he was too lazy to think of a proper conclusion so just wrote "haha it was all a clever ruse" and ended with a non-ending like it was on purpose.

The series, for as meta and jokey as it was, had a clear, cogent narrative that was pretty much just tossed out with the ending to be "clever".

Creaking

Hmm not sure about count olaf or the children, I really enjoyed the actors in the movie. I've never read the books but are the descriptions of the children explicitly described or are they just trying to match the look of the children in the movie?
I'll still watch it though , still looks entertaining.

The books have (really nice) illustrations that show very distinct designs for the characters

Bit of a shame that the actress for Violet is head-for-head with Klaus, but what can you do? The Hobbit/Gandalf method would probably be a bit too much.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
The ending is a copout because he was too lazy to think of a proper conclusion so just wrote "haha it was all a clever ruse" and ended with a non-ending like it was on purpose.

The series, for as meta and jokey as it was, had a clear, cogent narrative that was pretty much just tossed out with the ending to be "clever".

...and that explains why, despite reading all the books, I have no recollection of what the plot turned out to be.

Kas

...and that explains why, despite reading all the books, I have no recollection of what the plot turned out to be.

The plot actually hit me one day at work, over this past summer. And I haven't read the books since the last one came out.

But basically,
The Beatrice he always writes about is their mother, and it's basically his attempt at making sure the kids stay safe, since he couldn't protect her. At least, that's the story of what Lemony went through.

Creaking

It's a shame they couldn't get Thomas Newman to score this. His work fit so well with the movie.

hank_tree

Oh it sucks to hear you didn't like The End ,man. I love how it ends personally.

Stopdoor

I'm not really sure about this. It's a 'dissatisfying' ending but isn't really off-base for how it was being set up the whole time.

Kathian

Banned
This looks great but omg NPH is fucking awful. NOOOO. This could be great :(

Suspect it goes up to the lake, you know cause its the best fucking book in the series. I hope so anyway. Love that story.

zeemumu

Weird that they'd put so much emphasis on Miserable Mill in that trailer. That book felt like filler compared to the rest of the series.

A Series of Unfortunate Events |OT| The Gloomy Gaffers

A Series of Unfortunate Events |OT| The Dreary Discussion

A Series of Unfortunate Events |OT| The Streaming Series

Need a better S-word to do alliteration with but that's all I got.

Hah

A Series of Unfortunate Events |OT| The Theoretical Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom