• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Anime of the Year 2016 Results

Status
Not open for further replies.
The surprise is perhaps March Comes on in Like a Lion in number 36. Damn people really didn't like it. It wasn't in my top 5, so I'm also not the biggest fan, but in position 36 is way too low.
March Comes In Like A Lion was the only show I consistently watched, was fantastic. Good mix of light-hearted humour and serious subject matter about expectations, abuse, and existentialism. But I didn't watch many others enough to vote.

Cornbread78

So, if Konosuba is a satire/parody, is it making fun of the fanservice throughout and how pathetic the protagonist is?

I think it's frequently compared to "It's Always Sunny in Phili" just because of how flawed each character is and how terrible they are to each other. The comedic timing and character interactions are what make the show so funny.

shira

Your name got robbed again

Also what does it say if your taste do/dont align with AnimeGAF rankings

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Your Name hasn't even had a disc release and under the usual rules we've used wouldn't have even been eligible this year.

I thought films that had general cinema showings in ones region were eligible. The problem is Japanimation films has scattered releases throughout the world so we never have a year where everyone could go see it.

Cornbread78

I thought films that had general cinema showings in ones region were eligible. The problem is Japanimation films has scattered releases throughout the world so we never have a year where everyone could go see it.

Thats the assumption I went on as well from previous years.

Narag

Your Name's NA release was one week in one theater in L.A. IIRC.

Sword Art Online Ordinal Scale & Yu-Gi-Oh! Dark Side of Dimensions better make every list in 2017!!!

LProtag

This year I watched: Mob Psycho 100, Jojo's (I'm behind though), Haikyuu, and My Hero Academia.

So I think I chose what to watch wisely.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Your Name's NA release was one week in one theater in L.A. IIRC.

Was a pretty limited showing in the UK too (but not as extreme as that).

For a previous year example, Love Live only had two showings for the whole of Europe, and they were both in the UK, whereas the States had a whole load scattered about. And if we were to go by the DVD/BD release, well, the UK is still waiting for that.

Movies are never going to have a nice hard and fast rule that can suit everyone unfortunately. I know I've voted for films one year after the majority simply because of how slow the UK was to get it.

That's cool. Mob Psycho and Diamond is Unbreakable were the only anime I watched last year.

I thought Mob Psycho was alright but I understand why it's #1. The animation and opening is crazy good but the writing and characters were nothing to me. DiU is much more well rounded.

ionitron

Was Kiznaiver really that popular? The thread here looked pretty dead and I didn't see much hype around it.

Mob is deserving. I want to write an essay about it, tbh. Currently reading the manga.

Cornbread78

Was Kiznaiver really that popular? The thread here looked pretty dead and I didn't see much hype around it.

Mob is deserving. I want to write an essay about it, tbh. Currently reading the manga.

We had a lot of fun with Kiznaiver. It's nothing groundbreaking, but it was entertaining as hell.

I think it's frequently compared to "It's Always Sunny in Phili" just because of how flawed each character is and how terrible they are to each other. The comedic timing and character interactions are what make the show so funny.
Eh... i tried KonoSuba and it's not near Sunny.

Xisiqomelir

Every year I:

1) Remind myself that I really should vote at some point

2) Nod at the 30-40% of the top 10 I agree with

3) Peruse the replies for the real gold

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Also, anyone who votes for Your Name next year over A Silent Voice and In This Corner of the World is a bad person.

Silent Voice has an even more limited release in the UK than Your Name did.

Seems I missed the one London showing cos it clashed with my holiday.

But really, we need some better rules for films than "year you saw it in the cinema" cos it just spreads the votes too much over a bunch of years.

duckroll

But really, we need some better rules for films than "year you saw it in the cinema" cos it just spreads the votes too much over a bunch of years.

That's the point? It dilutes the casual votes via confusion and allows the cartel who actually care about politicking the process to push through the winners that need to win.

shira

This isn't the Crunchyroll awards sweetheart, go there.

gcib.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom