• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Anime of the Year 2016 Results

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nibel

Guess I should check out Mob Psycho 100 then.. only watched the first episode and while the animation is spectacular at times it was hard to care about the premise that I instantly dropped it

Other than that I loved JoJo P4, liked Erased, but there wasn't much else imo (no. 3 on the list sounds interesting, might check that one out)

Guess I should check out Mob Psycho 100 then.. only watched the first episode and while the animation is spectacular at times it was hard to care about the premise that I instantly dropped it

Other than that I loved JoJo P4, liked Erased, but there wasn't much else imo (no. 3 on the list sounds interesting, might check that one out)

You have a Saitama avatar but didn't give Mob a better chance than 1 episode? It's ONE's better series.

LotusHD

Banned

You get to episode 3 on Mob Psycho and you'll know if you like it or not.

Mob is fantastic

Rakugo is no hyperbole the best tv anime in years

Hypron

You get to episode 3 on Mob Psycho and you'll know if you like it or not.

Yep. I kinda forced my brother to watch the series. After the first episode he was like "what is this shit why are they yelling all the time why are you making me watch this", but then by episode 3 he was into it.

Taruranto

Rakugo alone pretty much made the year worth, it's really the best anime in the last 7 years or so, and the quality of the writing is on a totally next level compared to... almost everything.

YoI was also a fairly revolutionary show all things considered.

Cornbread78

But seriously Cornbread, why does the JoJo picture have some weird guys face in the corner

Holy shit, I didn't even notice that when grabbing images this morning. (The masses were restless and I was rushing)

If someone else can grab me an image the same size, I'll replace it right away.

I can't believe Rakugo didn't win. Truly heartbroken.

On the other hand I got a quote chosen for the OP which is the first time that has ever happened to me so I am mega chuffed!

wait wtf my quote for jojo got in the OP, okay then

anyway Mob and Jojo getting 1 and 2 is great, it put then the other way around but it's still good

also Jojo has now been in the top 10 for the past 5 years and this is the highest it's gotten

Stardust Crusaders at #8

GAF fucked up

2014 was the first half of Stardust Crusaders, the first half isn't the best

wait wtf my quote for jojo got in the OP, okay then

anyway Mob and Jojo getting 1 and 2 is great, it put then the other way around but it's still good

also Jojo has now been in the top 10 for the past 5 years and this is the highest it's gotten

It's the best Jojo has been, so that's appropriate.

Wanderer5

My list in comparison:

1 - 1
2 - 9
3 - 4
4 - 14
5 - 7
6 - 15
7 - 25
8 - 12
9 - 22
10 - 11

Not too bad with 4 in the top 10, and another 4 in 11-15 range. Furthest off was Bungo Stray Dogs at 25.

Jex

The amount of people who are apparently dissatisfied, in some way, with the results speaks to the quality and diversity of anime in 2016. No-one aspect of the fandom really dominated the voting because so many people enjoyed so many different kinds of shows. That's the sign of a vibrant industry.

I dunno man. The fact that a show with a panty stealing protagonist, whom most of GAF would normally dogpile for the obvious , is getting highly favourable reviews on here should be telling in of itself.
GF and I watched 3 episodes and it was so crude and gross. He just used his skill to get panties and we turned it off. Even having some drinks we couldn't find an ounce of humor. It seems to be a bunch of wink wink nudge nudge to weird anime tropes that you need to know beforehand but even then not done well.

FluxWaveZ

I watched about 5 minutes or something of KonoSuba when I saw a header for it on Crunchyroll, got reminded of ReZero, immediately quit out. Seeing it in this top 10 makes me think of giving it another shot, but ReZero is also on this list, so maybe not.

Recently watched through all of Haikyuu!! It's a show I warmed up to the more longer I stuck with it. I liked Kuroko and I wasn't feeling it too much at first, but I started to like it more and more as it went on. Great soundtrack, characters that come into their own and intense matches that don't devolve into magic battles ala Kuroko. The thing I think of right now that I disliked the most about it is how everyone constantly fawns over the manager. Annoying.

I'll have to check out Rakugo. Not really a premise that I find compelling, but I'm sure that I might enjoy it greatly despite that.

Rakugou should have been first.
Other than that its an okay list.

HeroAca Season 2 will take 2017 though.
VP6NAdp.png

Surprised ReZero isnt higher lol

LayLa

Wow only one show I voted for in the Top Ten, "it says nothing to me about my life" as an asshole once sang

LotusHD

Banned
Whole time I'm watching Season 2 of Rakugo, and I'm like... Damn, I'm really watching an amazing series, aren't I...

Moonlight

Banned
I realize I basically forfeit my right to complain about this list as I didn't actually get around to voting, but seeing Erased and Re:Zero in that list kinda annoys me, lol. Especially when Euphonium, Kuromukuro, and Flying Witch didn't make the cut.

Otherwise the top 5 is alright. Mob Psycho definitely deserves the spot.

TWILT

Banned
Forgot to vote this year, but this...is a surprisingly good top 5! Really happy to see Mob Psycho 100 and Jojo Part 4 as the top 2 (I'd swap the order for me personally, but I'm not complaining.)

Cornbread78

I realize I basically forfeit my right to complain about this list as I didn't actually get around to voting, but seeing Erased and Re:Zero in that list kinda annoys me, lol. Especially when Euphonium, Kuromukuro, and Flying Witch didn't make the cut.

Otherwise the top 5 is alright. Mob Psycho definitely deserves the spot.

Well, Re;Zero was actually pretty damm good and really stood out despite having a real piece of shit for an MC. Plus the show had Rem, so....

Erased had a very memorable cast and story for most of it, but suffered from a weaker ending. I mean, the first half+ are abput as good as you can get.

Many people found Flying Witch good, but "boring" in it's approach, even by comfy SoL standards.

Eupho, was a poor teanage drama this time around and a big step down from S1 (dammit)

Kuromukuro is lower because not many people actually watched it since it was not broadcast via Crunchy or Funi.

I agree with the top 5 (6) though, they all deserve it..

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I watched about 5 minutes or something of KonoSuba when I saw a header for it on Crunchyroll, got reminded of ReZero, immediately quit out. Seeing it in this top 10 makes me think of giving it another shot, but ReZero is also on this list, so maybe not.

Konosuba is like the complete opposite spectrum of ReZero. It's satire/parody. It becomes pretty obvious in the first episode.

KraytarJ

Well, Re;Zero was actually pretty damm good and really stood out despite having a real piece of shit for an MC. Plus the show had Rem, so....

Erased had a very memorable cast and story for most of it, but suffered from a weaker ending. I mean, the first half+ are abput as good as you can get.

Many people found Flying Witch good, but "boring" in it's approach, even by comfy SoL standards.

Eupho, was a poor teanage drama this time around and a big step down from S1 (dammit)

Kuromukuro is lower because not many people actually watched it since it was not broadcast via Crunchy or Funi.

I agree with the top 5 (6) though, they all deserve it..
I agree with what you said about ReZero, Erased, and Flying Witch. I disagree about Subaru and Eupho. Sure Subaru's not a great person but he's a great terrible person, and while I agree 2pho was a step down from its predecessor I wouldn't say it was a poor drama. Like many things I enjoyed last year it was let down by its ending and in particular the choice to skip the nationals performance for whatever reason. I would say the top 4 deserve it, not so sure about 5 & 6.

Edit: actually MHA is fine, Haikyuu just isn't my thing. That part was the salt talking.

FluxWaveZ

Konosuba is like the complete opposite spectrum of ReZero. It's satire/parody. It becomes pretty obvious in the first episode.

The thing is that, while it reminded me of ReZero, there were two main reasons why I dropped it that early:

1. If the protagonist dying of shock, pissing his pants and then being laughed at by everyone because of it was an example of the show's humor, that's not really something that clicks for me.
2. Second actual character in the show is an ethereal fanservice anime girl.

Combined with the wish fulfilment premise, and it had all the makings for something that is absolutely not for me. Seeing someone compare it to Gintama in the OP got me curious, but then I look at that character design and I'd be real surprised if this is something I'd enjoy.

Only two of my picks made top 10. Probably the furthest year I can think of I was this far off.

Glad to see last year we had one punch man and this year we had MP100 though

I'm also surprised konosuba made it. I'll eventually watch it but Anime comedies are extremely hit or miss.

PK Gaming

The thing is that, while it reminded me of ReZero, there were two main reasons why I dropped it that early:

1. If the protagonist dying of shock, pissing his pants and then being laughed at by everyone because of it was an example of the show's humor, that's not really something that clicks for me.
2. Second actual character in the show is an ethereal fanservice anime girl.

Combined with the wish fulfilment premise, and it had all the makings for something that is absolutely not for me. Seeing someone compare it to Gintama in the OP got me curious, but then I look at that character design and I'd be real surprised if this is something I'd enjoy.

The show runs it back a bit by the 2nd episode, but it really starts to come around when the group gets fully formed. It's hard to put into words, but it's not like your typical wish fulfillment schlock. The show hits this great sweet spot in tone that's kind of like "It's Always Sunny" (moreso in Season 2) where things go up and down for the protagonists.

The MC isn't a total punching bag, but he isn't Jesus either. He has a surprisingly good dynamic with his party members that go beyond the standard "the girls want to bang the MC." Honestly, everyone in the group has a good dynamic with each other, which is refreshing.

Ir might not be your show in the end, but I think you should give it a chance. 3 episode rule!

zulux21

oh rank results... lets see

1- 8
2- 24
3- 23
4- 49
5- 1
6- 13
7- 29
8- 6
9- 10
10- Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress does not seem to have made the top 50 o_O huh.

my results are not that surprising though as I rarely get along with animegaf :p

though I get along far better than some other members that start with a D :p

Thunderbolt Fantasy would have gotten way more votes had there not been that drama of anime/not anime that caused so many people to put it in their Honorable Mentions.

I don't think the discussion affected people's willingness to vote for it. I think being puppets made a decent amount of anime fans to not watch it in the first place, and people can't vote what they haven't seen it.

My opinion. Not bad for AOTY. Mob and Rakugo are up there, good. I think Jojo and Konosuba are a bit overrated in the list but what you gonna do, opinions and all that.

I think Mob won over Rakugo or other series not only because it's good (Which it is), but because it's mainstream enough to have a bigger crossover potential in types of fans that watch anime. Action/comedy with psychic powers and Bones studio has a bigger appeal than a historical character-driven drama. It was always going to be more popular.

I didn't watch MHA, Re:Zero is at least outside top 5 (I think the last episodes served to cool off opinions about it even among fans), and Kiznaiver and Erased in the last positions is something I can agree with, they are flawed series with some good or interesting parts.

The surprise is perhaps March Comes on in Like a Lion in number 36. Damn people really didn't like it. It wasn't in my top 5, so I'm also not the biggest fan, but in position 36 is way too low.

Cornbread78

The surprise is perhaps March Comes on in Like a Lion in number 36. Damn people really didn't like it. It wasn't in my top 5, so I'm also not the biggest fan, but in position 36 is way too low.

It just keeps getting better, so I'm sure it will get more attention next year.

OPM S2 already won AOTY and it hasn't even aired an episode yet.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
I loved My Hero Acadamia. I'm surprised it came in as low as it did.

blakep267

Am I the only Dururara fan in the entire world? Like the show is in my top 5 of all time and the last 2 years had great seasons. Yet I don't think anybody noticed at all

I refuse to believe a Girls und Panzer movie can be better than it. I have seen some if the trash show.
Ive never seen GUP but the Boy and the Beast was one of the most disappointing anime movies I've ever seen. It had so much potential

It is similar to Gintama in terms of character dynamics. The main characters are basically a bunch of weird, greedy, selfish people who keep backstabbing each other - which is where most of the comedy come from - but ultimately care about each other.

And despite the wish fulfillment setup, it really is far from that. The protagonist has the luck of Donald Duck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom