• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Arcade Stick Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karmacide

MarkMan said:
What is wrong with your current joystick lever in your HRAP1 currently?

You can go for the same one JLF-TP-8Y-SK and if you want Sanwa buttons then yea go with OBSF-30.

If you want to replace the start/select buttons those are OBSF-24s.

Nothing really wrong with the joystick. It still works, I just want that new feeling again and figured I'll replace the stick too if I'm going to open it up to replace the buttons.:D

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
UC1 said:

2901223980084014115S600x600Q85.jpg

:\

That's the only schematic I can find... :(

Goodeats

Hey Markman, I've been following your threads all over the internet (CAG, here, your website, and SRK) and was wondering if it would be worth the price difference to order the HRAP 2 SA over the HRAP? Do you feel the price difference is worth it, or would you suggest ordering one a HRAP through your friend?

Also, I currently have a Hori FS3, and was wondering what you would recommend? Modding the FS3 (never done it before) or going and just ordering whichever stick you would recommend between the two I previously mentioned?

Thanks for the help Markman!!

Daigoro

goldenticket said:
so i have an agetec dreamcast stick and i want to put sanwa parts in. how hard is that to do. im wondering if i should do it myself rather then send it to someone. i dont have any experience dong this sort of thing.

do it yourself. it will be cheaper and its not that hard a mod.

i used this guide: http://tychom.org/stick/index.html and asked a couple of questions on the net.

you'll just need a file or a dremmel to round out the holes on the metal plate a bit (not hard, just a bit of work. i did mine manually). and you would either need to solder or use quick disconnects to attach the wires to the osbf30's.

i did one with a PSX OCB and one straight Dreamcast mod. both great sticks.

here's a crappy pic of the PS modded one:

100_0269.jpg

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Goodeats said:
Hey Markman, I've been following your threads all over the internet (CAG, here, your website, and SRK) and was wondering if it would be worth the price difference to order the HRAP 2 SA over the HRAP? Do you feel the price difference is worth it, or would you suggest ordering one a HRAP through your friend?

Also, I currently have a Hori FS3, and was wondering what you would recommend? Modding the FS3 (never done it before) or going and just ordering whichever stick you would recommend between the two I previously mentioned?

Thanks for the help Markman!!

Hi Goodeats! It really depends on you, if you can find a good price on the HRAP2 SA and are satisfied with the stick/button colors, I'd say go for it. It has all Sanwa parts so you won't have to replace them with anything unless you want to go the Seimitsu route.

The only advantage of getting an HRAP2 SA over a regular HRAP is that you can access the control panel from the top instead of opening the bottom panel and removing the nuts. It's much quicker/easier with the HRAP2 SA. Just need the right size allen wrenches.

Me personally. I would just get the HRAP with the color casing I like and replace the buttons with whatever. I don't mind PS2/PS3 because I have good USB converters. (Then again I bought one of each just to have lol).

For the Hori FS3, I'd have to shoot you over here for modding that stick, very informative thread:

http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=136372

Goodeats

MarkMan said:
Hi Goodeats! It really depends on you, if you can find a good price on the HRAP2 SA and are satisfied with the stick/button colors, I'd say go for it. It has all Sanwa parts so you won't have to replace them with anything unless you want to go the Seimitsu route.

The only advantage of getting an HRAP2 SA over a regular HRAP is that you can access the control panel from the top instead of opening the bottom panel and removing the nuts. It's much quicker/easier with the HRAP2 SA. Just need the right size allen wrenches.

Me personally. I would just get the HRAP with the color casing I like and replace the buttons with whatever. I don't mind PS2/PS3 because I have good USB converters. (Then again I bought one of each just to have lol).

For the Hori FS3, I'd have to shoot you over here for modding that stick, very informative thread:

http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=136372

Thanks for the info. I now am leaning towards just getting the HRAP. I still am unsure about modding the FS3. It seems the mod would cost half the price of a new HRAP, but I have zero experience soldering. Any idea how difficult a mod as described in the link you provided would be?

purg3

slept with Malkin
The parts I ordered came in today (damn that was fast) so I didn't waste any time putting them to use.

DSC01068.jpg

DSC01070.jpg

Personally, I like it much better now. Nice improvement for little cost. Buttons are next, and I'm probably going to paint or change the case and maybe add custom artwork to spruce it up a bit.

FoxSpirit

Well, anyone looking for something only you can make, try this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QytcbzZmXaI

Works awesomely, though you may have to modify stuff depending on what you use. I had the paper fittings folded to 6 layers but had to take 80cm of tape for the restrictor part since it seems the one I used was much thinner.

MarkMan said:
A friend of mine is selling the Amazon HRAPs for a real good price.

http://sdtekken.com/2008/07/29/great-deal-new-exclusive-hori-real-arcade-pro-sticks/

If you're interested, contact him... info is in the link above.

I saw the same PS3 stick on Playasia and bought them instead. I was thinking of buying the PS2 one...but I mainly just play on the PS3.

I'm going to get the EX2 through Amazon for the Xbox 360.

From reading a few of the posts...I hope it's easy to modify the buttons and stick. I prefer the bat stick over the ball.

Awesome thread...

Duke Togo

Please pardon my ignorance, but which Seimitsu/Sanwa buttons will work in the HRAP3 for PS3? I've tried reading the threads at shoryuken and all I've done is confuse myself. :lol

FoxSpirit

Sanwa OBSF-30 and Seimitsu PS-14 G, G-N or K, K-N or P (not D) buttons.

All Seimitsu's with an -N are screw ins, you may have some space problems, watch out for that. Aside from that, it's easy and new buttons go a long way to make the stick feel better.

Daigoro said:
do it yourself. it will be cheaper and its not that hard a mod.

i used this guide: http://tychom.org/stick/index.html and asked a couple of questions on the net.

you'll just need a file or a dremmel to round out the holes on the metal plate a bit (not hard, just a bit of work. i did mine manually). and you would either need to solder or use quick disconnects to attach the wires to the osbf30's.

thanks alot for the info Daigoro. i think ill give it a shot. what kind of file did you use? since ive never soldered anything i guess ill use quick disconnects.

FoxSpirit

Karmacide said:
Nothing really wrong with the joystick. It still works, I just want that new feeling again and figured I'll replace the stick too if I'm going to open it up to replace the buttons.:D

The only thing you'd need to replace then is the spring... that's all. You can get those at most places where you get the other stuff also.

Duke Togo

FoxSpirit said:
Sanwa OBSF-30 and Seimitsu PS-14 G, G-N or K, K-N or P (not D) buttons.

All Seimitsu's with an -N are screw ins, you may have some space problems, watch out for that. Aside from that, it's easy and new buttons go a long way to make the stick feel better.
Ah very nice, thank you FoxSpirit. :)

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
purg3 said:
The parts I ordered came in today (damn that was fast) so I didn't waste any time putting them to use.

Personally, I like it much better now. Nice improvement for little cost. Buttons are next, and I'm probably going to paint or change the case and maybe add custom artwork to spruce it up a bit.

Looks great, dude! Makes me want to get cracking at my EX2...

kurahadol

Just ordered an octagonal gate, should make my KoF XI playing much more fluid, the square gate is great for VF and Tekken, but man is it a pain for 2d fighters. I'm probably going to pick up a High Grade stick purposely for 3d fighters later down the road.

I posted this like, many pages back, but I figured I'd show it again, this is my custom finkle stick, once I make the gate adjustments I'll take some inner pictures.

fddbpe.jpg

She's my baby :D

jon bones

akuma001 said:
just a couple i've modded over the last year or so. all are full sanwa button and joysticks.

:D

Damn dude, sweet! They all look great but that Ikaruga one is <333

How did you create art for these? Do you have an EX2 template on your pc or just know the dimensions? I'm considering what art I should make when I throw in an LS-33/Sanwa 30mms and don't really know how to go about doing it.

Also if I may ask: is there a reason you have so many? :lol

akuma001

jon bones said:
Damn dude, sweet! They all look great but that Ikaruga one is <333

How did you create art for these? Do you have an EX2 template on your pc or just know the dimensions? I'm considering what art I should make when I throw in an LS-33/Sanwa 30mms and don't really know how to go about doing it.

Also if I may ask: is there a reason you have so many? :lol

haha, nah those are all just various ones i've modded for people on srk/vfdc. i don't even own one anymore since i've moved to modded vshg's. :p

i used to have a template but just looked and can't find it. you should just be able to scan your top plate if you have a scanner. thats pretty much what i did. after finalizing each art for the person getting their stick modded i would go to a print shop and just get the art printed on a photo paper and get it laminated then cut it to size. i used a spray on adhesive to apply the laminated art to the metal plate. easy peasy.

good luck with your mod. let us know how it goes. :D

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
akuma001 does great work, they look very nice!

You know you want to mod me a dual PCB PS1/360 EX2 :)

---

My brother has a finkle stick, it's hot stuff.

Daigoro

goldenticket said:
thanks alot for the info Daigoro. i think ill give it a shot. what kind of file did you use? since ive never soldered anything i guess ill use quick disconnects.

no problemo.

i just have some cheap file set i got from somewhere. the file i chose was large and had a flat and a rounded edge (use the rounded edge on the inside of the holes where the buttons go). if youre from the US go to a home depot or something and get a file set. or just buy one with a rounded filing edge.

just file around on the inside for a bit then test the button to see if it will fit every once in a while. eventually you'll get a snug fit and the button will be able to squeeze in. takes maybe 5-10 min per hole. (you get better at it as you do it more). real simple stuff, just take your time until you get used to it, and try not to scratch the top surface.

and soldering is super easy for this job, you dont really have to be skilled at all to do it, just read a soldering tutorial somewhere (google it). but quick disconnects would be cleaner if you want to go that route.

good luck. if i dont respond to this thread PM me with questions.

akuma001 said:
just a couple i've modded over the last year or so. all are full sanwa button and joysticks.

:D

HOLY SMOKES! those are really beautifull.

do you have a tutorial somewhere on how to do them? i didnt realize that Sanwa sticks would fit. or is there some real effort involved?

id love to mod my EX stick. so hot!

help! :)

jon bones

have any of you guys had issues with the stock ex2 pcb? the last thing stopping me from modding my ex2 at this point is the longevity of the stick... not sure if it'll be worth the time and money to modify if the stock pcb is prone to crapping out

purg3

slept with Malkin
jon bones said:
have any of you guys had issues with the stock ex2 pcb? the last thing stopping me from modding my ex2 at this point is the longevity of the stick... not sure if it'll be worth the time and money to modify if the stock pcb is prone to crapping out

That's what I'm worried about, so I'm probably just going to use mine as a backup for when friends come over. My main goal right now is to get a HRAP3 dual modded :) I figure that as much as I play/will play SCIV and with SFIV around the corner, it will be worth the investment.

Shit.

I'm modding my Hori FS EX2 360 and I have a problem. I desoldered the first four buttons fine, but I just accidentally removed that shiny circular contact off the fifth button.

Am I fucked? Is there a way to fix this?

akuma001

Daigoro said:
HOLY SMOKES! those are really beautifull.

do you have a tutorial somewhere on how to do them? i didnt realize that Sanwa sticks would fit. or is there some real effort involved?

id love to mod my EX stick. so hot!

help! :)

sorry i don't have a tutorial but the way i do the stick goes like this.

1. remove old stick and buttons
2. peel off old stick art
3. dremel down the 4 posts that hold the old stick
4. dremel down the middle of 2 of the walls so the sanwa stick fit flush to the plastic base
5. place the sanwa stick in without the restrictor and microswitches
6. use the 4 old screws to line up the sanwa into the plastic base
7. take a drill and drill through the four corner holes of the sanwa base through the hori plastic shell and metal top plate
8. flip the case over and using a countersinking bit, drill through the holes enough to fit a T shaped bolt flush to the metal
9. connect your nuts to the bolts
10. disassemble the sanwa shaft and replace with the hori shaft
11. take the actuator from the jlf and dremel it down to the size of the hori actuator
12. assemble the shaft parts together
13. cut the grounds on the sanwa pcb for each microswitch
14. assemble the pcb and restrictor and you are ready to solder

its actually easier than it sounds. just need a drill and some kind of cutting tool like a dremel. sorry but i don't have pics

in other news check out this dual ps1/360 stick i'm working on for vegit814 on srk. still needs qd's for the buttons

PICT0670.jpg

PICT0668.jpg

akuma001

_dementia said:
Shit.

I'm modding my Hori FS EX2 360 and I have a problem. I desoldered the first four buttons fine, but I just accidentally removed that shiny circular contact off the fifth button.

Am I fucked? Is there a way to fix this?

if you can trace the contact to the line it connects to on the pcb all you have to do is take an exacto knife and scrape the green until you see copper. from there you can solder a wire to your button.

you have to be extremely careful though because the line is prone to lift as well from heat. you might want to dab it with some flux and tin it with some solder before you try connecting something to it.

jon bones, to be honest i think the ex2 pcb sucks. i've come across 3 that up and died on me for no reason. you know its dead when inputs stop working in pairs.

FoxSpirit

Crayon said:
They feel better the way alot if luxury items feel better.

The best thing is they last longer, imo.

Have you ever had a Hori button and a Sanwa button side to side in a stick to compare?
There's a quite nig difference.

Grecco

The Hori sticks are the best option for X360 right?

(Sorry for the noobish quesiton i just got SC4 and wanna jump in to get a stick")

DaCocoBrova

jon bones said:

If it craps out, just get a wired 360 pad and mod it with that as the PCB. I've dogged the shit out of mine and haven't had any problems.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Grecco said:
The Hori sticks are the best option for X360 right?

(Sorry for the noobish quesiton i just got SC4 and wanna jump in to get a stick")

Yeah, unless you want to get something custom built or modded.

Sallokin

I have a Hori Fighting Stick 3 for the PS3. Will this suffice or are there better options out there? I've been playing SCIV with it and I really like the feel but if there's something a little better I'd like to explore that option.

DaCocoBrova

^^

There are 20 pages in this thread. Have you taken the time to read any of them?

thuway

I was going through my attic recently and found an Old Playstation1 arcade stick. Its called "The Fighter's Choice Arcade Stick" - it looks official, only in fine print it says "This product is not affiliated with Sony Computer Entertainment." On the back there is a logo that has the words "Toy" in front of the number "200".

Talk about surprise of awesomeness. I can take photos. Also, OT: If anyone wants to sell a stick to a poor medstudent, PM me :D .

Sallokin

DaCocoBrova said:
^^

There are 20 pages in this thread. Have you taken the time to read any of them?

Just a few, but I honestly didn't see the answer I was looking for. I'm really just curious if the stick I have is ok or if the are better options out there for the PS3 that don't involve custom sticks.

Proc

For someone who wants to get a stick but will have to pay ridiculous shipping (ex2s are hard to come by in canada) is the stick worth the price of ~$80 (with shipping and tax)? I'm just looking to escape the d-pad for soul calibur 4/Virtua fighter online, and for future and present XBLA games. I shouldn't be disapointed? Seems like the options are limited for xbox360.

The beast hath been conquered.

vxkxl.jpg

242j51d.jpg

Sanwa octagonal gate
Seimitsu buttons and balltop
some SnR artwork to finish off the look.

Thank you so much for your help DaCocoBrova and akuma001.

List of things I never want to attempt again:
-Mod a Hori FS EX2

qcf x2

Proc said:
For someone who wants to get a stick but will have to pay ridiculous shipping (ex2s are hard to come by in canada) is the stick worth the price of ~$80 (with shipping and tax)? I'm just looking to escape the d-pad for soul calibur 4/Virtua fighter online, and for future and present XBLA games. I shouldn't be disapointed? Seems like the options are limited for xbox360.

It should suit you fine for those games. It's very sensitive. I can't use it for shit but all I play is 3rd Strike. I'm in the US and paid about $80 for my DoA4 stick.

akuma, you've been pm'ed!

Ruprit

First I just want to say that this tread has been a missive help. I want to thank everyone for being so informative and helpful. I definitely wouldn't have ordered, let alone modded any of my arcade sticks without this thread.

Now, down to business. I have a Hori EX2 arriving this week, with Sanwa buttons also on order. From a previous mod, I have a spare Sanwa stick lying around gathering dust. I've noticed that you can mod the stock stick quite nicely, or with a bit more work just swap it out with a Sanwa. Both seem very similar. But, in the long run a couple months down the road, would it be worth it to bite the bullet and just mod it out with a full Sanwa stick? I'm worried that the stock stick will just feel awful in a couple of months.

Sorry if this question has been asked already, I could find it within the thread.

Been looking around this thread for quite some time now
and its really inspired me to want to go out and make/mod an arcade stick
shits real intimidating though (at least in my eyes) but thanks to this thread maybe an idiot such as myself can achieve arcade stick greatness
in other words
Bumped For Awesomeness (that and the guy above me had a question)

Duke Togo

Well shit, HRAP3's are tough to find these days. Anybody know a retailer that isn't currently out of stock/backordered?

edit: nm, found one.

_dementia said:
The beast hath been conquered.

vxkxl.jpg

Sanwa octagonal gate
Seimitsu buttons and balltop
some SnR artwork to finish off the look.

Thank you so much for your help DaCocoBrova and akuma001.

List of things I never want to attempt again:
-Mod a Hori FS EX2
What is that character from?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom