• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Arcade Stick Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
_dementia said:
List of things I never want to attempt again:
-Mod a Hori FS EX2

I felt the exact opposite. I was eager to mod another one as soon as I was done. It was like good sex. You're mad when it's over.

Daigoro

akuma001 said:
sorry i don't have a tutorial but the way i do the stick goes like this.

1. remove old stick and buttons
2. peel off old stick art
3. dremel down the 4 posts that hold the old stick
4. dremel down the middle of 2 of the walls so the sanwa stick fit flush to the plastic base
5. place the sanwa stick in without the restrictor and microswitches
6. use the 4 old screws to line up the sanwa into the plastic base
7. take a drill and drill through the four corner holes of the sanwa base through the hori plastic shell and metal top plate
8. flip the case over and using a countersinking bit, drill through the holes enough to fit a T shaped bolt flush to the metal
9. connect your nuts to the bolts
10. disassemble the sanwa shaft and replace with the hori shaft
11. take the actuator from the jlf and dremel it down to the size of the hori actuator
12. assemble the shaft parts together
13. cut the grounds on the sanwa pcb for each microswitch
14. assemble the pcb and restrictor and you are ready to solder

its actually easier than it sounds. just need a drill and some kind of cutting tool like a dremel. sorry but i don't have pics

awesome, thanks! ill post back if i have any questions. might be awhile before i attempt the mod, but id love to do it.

_dementia said:
The beast hath been conquered.

vxkxl.jpg

SEX! great looking stick. did you swap out the stick too, or just the buttons and the ball top? (i can read back to find out, just short on time now and wanted to tag the thread so i remember to come back to it soon)

I seek help from the arcade stick gaming gods!

I'm after a decent arcade stick for playing fighting games and shoot-em-ups. Not looking to pay the earth (I doubt I could tell the difference anyway) but I want something that works pretty well. Problem is, ideally I'd like to get one I can use on the PS3 and 360. Does such a thing exist?

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
WORLDWIDEWII said:
any one use a hrap2 with ps3?

if so what converter did you used?

Pelican or Real for flawless performance.

There is also a Japanese one and a Korean one that are good, I haven't personally tested them myself though.

Daigoro said:
SEX! great looking stick. did you swap out the stick too, or just the buttons and the ball top? (i can read back to find out, just short on time now and wanted to tag the thread so i remember to come back to it soon)
Thank you.

I just swapped out the gate for a Sanwa octagonal one and Seimitsu balltop. I might go all the way in the future, but for now it works great.

Okay, I just read through all 21 pages of this thread. Wow.

I've always been a pretty avid SF fan...but not to the point of investing in a stick. But with VF5, SSFII Turbo HD and SF IV (plus SF Anniversary, SF Alpha Anthology and Playmore anthologies), I want some good hardware.

I just bought a HRAP3 Amazon edition and the crappy Soul Calibur IV PS3 and Xbox 360 joysticks.

I do have a PS2 and PC Saturn pads...but can't find the convertors Markman recommended (the Real has been sold out like forever).

Also with the HRAP3, to swap out the buttons is it as easy as unscrewing, disconnecting the buttons from the PCB+wires and placing in the new buttons and Whoilla (sp)?

http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=95713

FoxSpirit said:
Sanwa OBSF-30 and Seimitsu PS-14 G, G-N or K, K-N or P (not D) buttons.

All Seimitsu's with an -N are screw ins, you may have some space problems, watch out for that. Aside from that, it's easy and new buttons go a long way to make the stick feel better.

Are these easy to get from Lizard Lick (or whatever the site is called)? Which would you say is the preferable purchase the Sanwa or Seimitsus?

And I wish they had a few more HRAP3s available or the 360 ones...

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Spiderjericho said:
Okay, I just read through all 21 pages of this thread. Wow.

I've always been a pretty avid SF fan...but not to the point of investing in a stick. But with VF5, SSFII Turbo HD and SF IV (plus SF Anniversary, SF Alpha Anthology and Playmore anthologies), I want some good hardware.

I just bought a HRAP3 Amazon edition and the crappy Soul Calibur IV PS3 and Xbox 360 joysticks.

I do have a PS2 and PC Saturn pads...but can't find the convertors Markman recommended (the Real has been sold out like forever).

Also with the HRAP3, to swap out the buttons is it as easy as unscrewing, disconnecting the buttons from the PCB+wires and placing in the new buttons and Whoilla (sp)?

http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=95713

Hey there Spiderjericho, you have PS2 and PC Saturn pads? ^_^ If you ever feel like selling/trading for an arcade stick, let me know. I really need some of those.

And Sanwa vs Seimitsu is strictly preference.

Sanwa is a bit more rounded, traditional Seimitsu is more flat. The PS14 (clear) Seimitsu buttons have a bit more rounded feel to them. The Sanwa buttons are definitely more sensitive, the Seimitsu ones need more of a push to activate the input.

I prefer Seimitsu, but thats just because I get annoyed if my finger grazes a button and it activates lol.

MarkMan said:
Hey there Spiderjericho, you have PS2 and PC Saturn pads? ^_^ If you ever feel like selling/trading for an arcade stick, let me know. I really need some of those.

And Sanwa vs Seimitsu is strictly preference.

Sanwa is a bit more rounded, traditional Seimitsu is more flat. The PS14 (clear) Seimitsu buttons have a bit more rounded feel to them. The Sanwa buttons are definitely more sensitive, the Seimitsu ones need more of a push to activate the input.

I prefer Seimitsu, but thats just because I get annoyed if my finger grazes a button and it activates lol.

So for the Seimitsu buttons, is it the same process, disconnect then place and plug the buttons? Also is Akihabara shop the only place to get them? Lizard Lick sells the Sanwas for 2 something while I don't see the PS 14 G except for Akihibara and a few sellers on Shoryuken.

And Markman, what is so special about the Saturn controllers? Can they be used with the PS3 or 360?

And I think I'm going to send back my Soul Calibur IV PS3 joystick and see if I can track down some HRAP3s, maybe through Markman's connect (stridjim) sp.

I have not taken any electrician courses...so I don't really want to pretend like I'm Tim the Toolman Taylor and ruin a good stick just for experimentation sake.

"I prefer Seimitsu, but thats just because I get annoyed if my finger grazes a button and it activates lol."

:lol, yeah that takes some getting used to.

Spiderjericho said:
And Markman, what is so special about the Saturn controllers? Can they be used with the PS3 or 360?

And I think I'm going to send back my Soul Calibur IV PS3 joystick and see if I can track down some HRAP3s, maybe through Markman's connect (stridjim) sp.

I have not taken any electrician courses...so I don't really want to pretend like I'm Tim the Toolman Taylor and ruin a good stick just for experimentation sake.
Yeah same here haha
the one reason I haven't attempted modding a stick is because I know that somehow I'd fuck up :lol

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Spiderjericho said:
So for the Seimitsu buttons, is it the same process, disconnect then place and plug the buttons? Also is Akihabara shop the only place to get them? Lizard Lick sells the Sanwas for 2 something while I don't see the PS 14 G except for Akihibara and a few sellers on Shoryuken.

Seimitsu buttons and Sanwa buttons, swapping them out in an HRAP is the same, just disconnect the old ones and plug em into the new buttons!

Teknopathetic said:
:lol, yeah that takes some getting used to.

Sure does! I have a bunch of Sanwa buttons in my other sticks and it's not bad, but with the Sanwa RGs for some reason I REALLY notice it...

Spiderjericho said:

I need one for 'research' ... The PC Saturn controller works with the PS3 though. Not for 360 unfortunately.

---

BTW my stick count has hit 63. Just added a brand new in box Namco arcade stick ^_^

GrayFoxPL

Spiderjericho said:

They have perfect, most responsive dpad ever created + great pad shape. It's ideal for fighting games. People steal, lie, kill and even sell their children to get one.

I know, I would :[.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
LuCkymoON said:
Will that also work on the EX Fighting Pro stick?
which do you recommend for the 360?

EX Fighting Pro Stick? Do you mean the Soulcalibur IV/Dead or Alive 4 stick? Fighting Stick EX2? If so, then yes the bat top adapter will work for those sticks.

It will also fit on an HRAP EX.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
GrayFoxPL said:
They have perfect, most responsive dpad ever created + great pad shape. It's ideal for fighting games. People steal, lie, kill and even sell their children to get one.

I know, I would :[.

I hope to keep the stealing/killing numbers on GAF down this year. So I'm sure we'll see another good fighting game pad down the road ;)

LuCkymoON

Banned
MarkMan said:
EX Fighting Pro Stick? Do you mean the Soulcalibur IV/Dead or Alive 4 stick? Fighting Stick EX2? If so, then yes the bat top adapter will work for those sticks.

It will also fit on an HRAP EX.
yes thats what I meant =p

Jonsoncao

Banned
Sanwa is the best!!!!!!!!!!!!

i still remember the fantastic touching feel back in the trip to jap during my junior high :lol

I found a HRAP2 SA on videogamecentral. Hopefully, they honor the order.

And I'm going to get the sanwa buttons and the bat top+adaptor for my HRAP3.

So...the PC Saturn controller works on the PS3? If so, that's awesome. I've never used it except once on MAME.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Spiderjericho said:

So...the PC Saturn controller works on the PS3? If so, that's awesome. I've never used it except once on MAME.

Well you can sell it to me, or we can trade for something ;)

Ruprit

Spiderjericho said:

I ordered the same thing from them on Tuesday. My only beef so far is that it has just shipped today. But, in their defense, they said it takes about 72 hours to ship.

Annnd.... my addition to the 360 arcade sticks...

It has an octagon plate, the Sanwa switches with the motherboard removed, Sanwa shaft and dust cover, ball top, and all Sanwa buttons. Originally I had it so the buttons were wired to the motherboard, but that developed all sorts of problems. For example, I would tap right really fast and the y button would magically be pressed. So, I ended up just doing the bending and the cutting of the button connectors. Which, at the end of the day was much easier than the wiring job, and much cleaner looking. Thanks for the ideas on how to do this.

MarkMan said:
Well you can sell it to me, or we can trade for something ;)

Actually...I'll use it with the PS3 when I'm in my bedroom and playing SF. I'm sorry to poo-poo on your quest...

I didn't realize they'd be so rare...

I also did an extended web search for another HRAP3. I "think" I found one on toys n joys. We'll see.

If anyone else is looking for the HRAP2 SA, supposedly videogamecentral was able to obtain a lot of 200 not too long ago.

Out of curiosity, has anyone tried modding a Wii Hori Fighting Stick to work with another console, specifically the PS3 or the 360? I have an extra one laying around here at the house and wondered if it's been done before or how easy/hard it would be.

Also, are the parts and wiring the same as the Hori PS3 Fighting Stick?

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Can someone explain to me what's so great about using arcade sticks in the first place? I consider myself a great fighter player, and I would never use an arcade stick to save my life. The big knob thing is clunky and imprecise. The buttons are so spread out that I can't get to them quick enough.

Gamepads are just better for fighters.

Just seems really silly to invest so much in these things when they don't offer any value over what you get in the console box on day 1. The personalization factor just adds to the wackiness.

...but to each his own I guess...

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
RubxQub said:

It is purely preference, and that is what YOU think.

If you ask casual gamers, most would probably say this.

If you ask hardcore/competitive tournament players, they will say otherwise (for most fighting games).

---

Spiderjericho, the PC one is USB, so just plug it in and it'll work. The PS2 saturn pads you need a converter like Pelican or Real.

The Real one has stopped production recently. The person selling them posted on my site saying that they will make more after the Olympics are over. He'll keep us posted.

RubxQub said:
Can someone explain to me what's so great about using arcade sticks in the first place? I consider myself a great fighter player, and I would never use an arcade stick to save my life. The big knob thing is clunky and imprecise. The buttons are so spread out that I can't get to them quick enough.

Just seems really silly to invest so much in these things when they don't offer any value over what you get in the console box on day 1. The personalization factor just adds to the wackiness.

Joke post?

The reason why arcade sticks are preferred to pads is that the games were born in the arcade and were designed around being used with the joystick and button configuration. I'm sure that you are one of the few people who feels that arcade sticks are clunky.

Personally, I was unable to really get good at fighters until I started to play on a stick.

edit: I forgot to post this (I was banned when I got it...) but:

2732676295_ddb33753b1_o.jpg

HRAP 1 Amazon version. Seimitsu bubble ball/Sanwa OBSF 30 and 24 buttons replacing stock Hori shit. I love it.
Also, anyone want a Tekken 5 stick? I don't use it anymore that I have the HRAP. It works fine. (PM me)

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
I've been wanting to get into hardcore fighting games for a long time because they seem so rewarding so when I saw this deal for a Hori PS3 stick and a copy of VF5 for $65.41 it seemed like the perfect entry level package. Convinced two of my friends to make the jump too, so I'm starting to build a nice little fighting game group here.

Gonna pick up SC2 here pretty soon and now I can't wait for SFIV!

edit: wow that was the most schill-sounding post I've ever made. Genuine enthusiasm, here, people.

SlaughterX said:
Whoa whoa whoa... I can use my USB Saturn pads on the PS3 now?

According to Markman, yes. The only thing is how do you get around not having the Home button?

And I'd much rather use a Saturn pad or Arcade stick than using the 360, Wii or PS3 control pads to play fighters. Gah...

MoxManiac

RubxQub said:

I can understand how you can feel gamepads are more comfortable; there's definitely a learning curve to sticks if you aren't used to them. In terms of performance though, sticks will always come out on stop assuming equal skill/experience with sticks and gamepad. There's a reason the big tournaments are stick only.

It also matters on whether you have a quality stick with quality parts or not. That's why a lot of people are fanatical about modding.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
The only big tournaments that are 'stick only' are the ones that are played in arcades (obviously stick is not an option).

But there is an option now for certain people that care. laugh on SRK forums has designed a PS1/PS2 converter that works with any arcade machine. Just some wire work is required.

So Markman...how do you get around not having the home button on the PC Saturn pad?

And for those interested in HRAP 3, Stridjn (sp), whom Markman mentioned was selling HRAP3 and HRAP1, is getting a shipment of HRAP3 Amazon editions on the 13th.

Eiji

UK GAF

Gamestation are selling the Hori Fighting Stick EX2 for £9.99 so call your local store and see if they have any!

I managed to buy 3 and am planning to mod atleast one or maybe I'll end up messing up all 3 :lol

^^^No. I looked. They're sold out mostly every where (Hori shop, Akihabara, NCSX, Playasia, etc).

The thing I'm learning with these joysticks is buy now not later. And it looks like Xbox 360 is stuck with EX2. Only those gifted with electrician skills can truly change the course of history, transcending time...

BTW, could someone answer my question regarding getting around using the Home button while using the PC Saturn pad?

manzo

Spiderjericho said:
^^^No. I looked. They're sold out mostly every where (Hori shop, Akihabara, NCSX, Playasia, etc).

The thing I'm learning with these joysticks is buy now not later. And it looks like Xbox 360 is stuck with EX2. Only those gifted with electrician skills can truly change the course of history, transcending time...

BTW, could someone answer my question regarding getting around using the Home button while using the PC Saturn pad?

Sigh... I was sure that I can buy it later. I was on my summer vacation when the stick was released... fucking hell, I guess I learned a lesson here. :(

I don't want the EX 2, since I hate the gap between the buttons and the stick; the Real Arcade is perfect for STGs because of the stick/button placement.

Edit: Looks like the next shipment of the HRAP EX 360 will be in mid-august.. this time I'll do everything to secure one. Has anyone ordered anything from Hori Store? Do they ship outside Japan or do I need a proxy?

Daigoro

id bet that they will keep producing more batches of the HRAP 360 if they keep on selling well.

id really like to pick one up some day. im running out of room to store controllers here though... still. must buy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom