• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Arcade Stick Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parks

Banned
My stick came! I can't wait to try it out when I get home. I can't believe I got it less than 36 hours after ordering from PlayAsia.com. International Overnight shipping FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hero

I always love to lurk this thread for the amazing and beautiful mods of the arcade sticks. I think I might bite.

Question though, the HFS EX2 is considered a decent stock arcade stick and is easily modded, right? I'm looking at Amazon and they have the Soul Calibur IV HFS EX's in stock but the 360 version is 10 dollars more. Is it possible to mod either version to be able to use on both systems?

Hero said:
I always love to lurk this thread for the amazing and beautiful mods of the arcade sticks. I think I might bite.

Question though, the HFS EX2 is considered a decent stock arcade stick and is easily modded, right? I'm looking at Amazon and they have the Soul Calibur IV HFS EX's in stock but the 360 version is 10 dollars more. Is it possible to mod either version to be able to use on both systems?
The EX2 is NOT easily modded. The buttons are soldered to the PCB. It's a pain.

I'm sure dual modding is possible, but the stick itself is so small I don't think it could house all the components. HRAP3/EX and VSHG are better candidates for dual-platform mods.

so im looking to make/buy a stick that i could use in the future with a Mame cabinet, as well with my PS3 at the moment for soul calibur, whats the price range for out of box and cost of making one.

kazuo

Spiderjericho said:
Amazon and most retailers (NCS, Playasia, SNK CAPCOM, EB) sell the EX2 Soul Calibur IV variant.

Now if you mean the Xbox HRAP EX then it's sold out. There was a link a page ago linking to SNK-Capcom's store in which they had a preorder available for it.

http://www.arcadeshock.com/items/pr...de-pro-ex-for-xbox-360-horixboxpro-detail.htm

Fixed.

Also, did anyone notice NCS either didn't get their stock of HRAP EX for 360 yet (or forgot I made a preorder with them)?

Their ETA was mid-July, and so far, nothing... I should just email them and ask but I'm lazy.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
_dementia said:
The EX2 is NOT easily modded. The buttons are soldered to the PCB. It's a pain.

It's really not that difficult if you have a little experience soldering stuff. And that's only the buttons. The gate and stick itself are super-easy.

Ruprit

viewtiful_dru said:
That's not too bad, but the ones where you have to install a JLF or something are pretty difficult.

Completely installing the JLF isn't necessary. All the measurements are the same, so the micro-switches are what makes the difference. With the JLF switches and the octagon plate, you won't know the difference.

1.) If you have a JLF stick then remove the mobo that is holding the switches and then get some cutters and remove the switches from the mobo.

2.) Unsolder the old switches and place the new ones from the JLF in. They should fit with no problems.

3.) Then re-solder the original wires to the new switches and your done.

The all the shaft components including the shaft can stay. Side by side, there is no difference between a stock Sanwa and the modded one that I just explained. Though I do recommend the octagon plate.

The most tedious part is the filing of the button holes. The rest of it I found relatively easy. Besides, you feel much more proud when you complete this that just swapping out some buttons in the HRAP. :D

To MarkMan, have you ever thought of just building a Saturn usb controller? I found a site with a tutorial and it doesn't seem too difficult.

akuma001

Ruprit said:
Completely installing the JLF isn't necessary. All the measurements are the same, so the micro-switches are what makes the difference. With the JLF switches and the octagon plate, you won't know the difference.

1.) If you have a JLF stick then remove the mobo that is holding the switches and then get some cutters and remove the switches from the mobo.

2.) Unsolder the old switches and place the new ones from the JLF in. They should fit with no problems.

3.) Then re-solder the original wires to the new switches and your done.

The all the shaft components including the shaft can stay. Side by side, there is no difference between a stock Sanwa and the modded one that I just explained. Though I do recommend the octagon plate.

The most tedious part is the filing of the button holes. The rest of it I found relatively easy. Besides, you feel much more proud when you complete this that just swapping out some buttons in the HRAP. :D

To MarkMan, have you ever thought of just building a Saturn usb controller? I found a site with a tutorial and it doesn't seem too difficult.

if you go this route, you would want to change the actuator too because the stock hori one is a tad fatter and you can get stuck inputs because the omron switches in the jlf engage closer than the matsushita ones in the hori. also probably change out the spring since the tension (at least to me feels different). also the part of the actuator on the sanwa that hits the restrictor is thinner compared to hori making your corners feel more defined if you prefer a square gate.

i've tried all combinations and i still think having the whole jlf in there feels better. but if it works for you thats all that matters. especially if you use an octagon and don't need to feel the corners as much.

Ruprit

akuma001 said:
if you go this route, you would want to change the actuator too because the stock hori one is a tad fatter and you can get stuck inputs because the omron switches in the jlf engage closer than the matsushita ones in the hori. also probably change out the spring since the tension (at least to me feels different). also the part of the actuator on the sanwa that hits the restrictor is thinner compared to hori making your corners feel more defined if you prefer a square gate.

i've tried all combinations and i still think having the whole jlf in there feels better. but if it works for you thats all that matters. especially if you use an octagon and don't need to feel the corners as much.

Neat, I'll give these combinations a shot.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
viewtiful_dru said:
Honestly, I was just thinking of changing the stock Hori ex2 switches for cherry switches. I don't know how it'd turn out though.

Cherry switches? Just change the buttons out to Sanwa buttons, that'll do.

Crappy button with other switches won't fix anything.

j^aws

viewtiful_dru said:
Honestly, I was just thinking of changing the stock Hori ex2 switches for cherry switches. I don't know how it'd turn out though.

Never tried the joystick in the EX2; but if you're replacing the joystick microswitches with Cherry ones, depending on the model/ series, you'll get different tactile/ audible feedback.

I've tried D42 and D44 series' (both have fast on/off response and often found in Suzo sticks), they differ in how early they engage; resistance before/ after engage; audible/ tactile feedback etc...

Markman said:
...Crappy button with other switches won't fix anything.

Never tried the EX2 buttons but what exactly contributes to a "crappy" button?

Microswitches in buttons play a significant role in how a button 'feels' (besides the build quality, of course)...

MarkMan said:
Cherry switches? Just change the buttons out to Sanwa buttons, that'll do.

Crappy button with other switches won't fix anything.

I was talking about the joystick, not the buttons.

Can Cherry switches even fit in there? lol. I've never seen ones that could fit a japanese button.

IMO some of the stock Hori buttons are unresponsive. Isn't that why we always swap the to Sanwa or Seimits?

str8-h4x

j^aws said:
Never tried the EX2 buttons but what exactly contributes to a "crappy" button?

Microswitches in buttons play a significant role in how a button 'feels' (besides the build quality, of course)...

The buttons on my ex2 feel like soft rubber like any other controller. No click of a microswitch at all. They have got to be the shittiest button I've ever played with, period.

The joystick however, feels (to me) nearly as nice as my jlf's on my namco exceleena2 cab. However, it does seem "loose" and requires a longer throw. Not a problem w/ me for fighting games, but I'll likely swap a semit. for my shmups.

Geezer

Broken water pistol loaded with piss
I read somewhere that Capcom will go on a stick/pad blitz when SF4 is released on the 360 and PS3. Do you reckon they'll release anything on the level of the HRAP EX and Saturn pads or are we looking at Nuby shit?

Geezer said:
I read somewhere that Capcom will go on a stick/pad blitz when SF4 is released on the 360 and PS3. Do you reckon they'll release anything on the level of the HRAP EX and Saturn pads or are we looking at Nuby shit?
As long as it's something decent and moddable like the 15th Anniversary stick was, I don't see a problem.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
ok, I want to take the plunge. Looking for opinions on what the best "starter" stick is. Is the SCIV stick actually decent? At this point I guess I don't really care about modding.. just more something to get me started and then I can move forward from there. system of choice is mostly PS3.

Ruprit

borghe said:
ok, I want to take the plunge. Looking for opinions on what the best "starter" stick is. Is the SCIV stick actually decent? At this point I guess I don't really care about modding.. just more something to get me started and then I can move forward from there. system of choice is mostly PS3.

The SCIV stick is more than fine. Which is a good thing because it's practically the only choice.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Geezer said:

I'm hoping this is true, as I would kill for a nice pad for 360 so I could use it for XBLA games. I also wouldn't mind as SF themed HRAP instead of the Fighting Stick series stuff.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
yea if the sfiv pad and stick are decent i might get one of each and leave my ex2 for my trial modding purposes

Ruprit

So I ending up switching out the Sanwa buttons and ball top for the Seimitsu variant. The Sanwas felt too responsive with Soul Calibur 4. So far, I'm really liking the difference. Plus, it looks much nicer.

Thanks akuma001 for the tips. I ended up switching out the stock spring with the Sanwa one, turned out to be a noticeable difference.

jon bones

Ruprit said:
Thanks akuma001 for the tips. I ended up switching out the stock spring with the Sanwa one, turned out to be a noticeable difference.

how does the new spring feel vs the old one? looser/tighter? does it feel as flimsy at neutral position?

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Ruprit said:
So I ending up switching out the Sanwa buttons and ball top for the Seimitsu variant. The Sanwas felt too responsive with Soul Calibur 4. So far, I'm really liking the difference. Plus, it looks much nicer.
so all you have to do for the buttons on that are desolder the old ones, file off the tabs, and solder/bend the new ones? What kind of gate is on it?

Ruprit

jon bones said:
how does the new spring feel vs the old one? looser/tighter? does it feel as flimsy at neutral position?

It feels a bit tighter. Maybe ever so slightly more effort from neutral. My final say is that if you have a spare Sanwa stick lying around, then buy all means do it. But, if you have to buy a Sanwa for the spring, then don't bother. It might be a placebo, but it seems snappier when going back to neutral.

borghe said:
so all you have to do for the buttons on that are desolder the old ones, file off the tabs, and solder/bend the new ones? What kind of gate is on it?

You got it! The filing is annoying though. I have the octagon gate on it right now.

jon bones

Ruprit said:
It feels a bit tighter. Maybe ever so slightly more effort from neutral. My final say is that if you have a spare Sanwa stick lying around, then buy all means do it. But, if you have to buy a Sanwa for the spring, then don't bother. It might be a placebo, but it seems snappier when going back to neutral. .

luckily, www.lizardlick.com sells JLW and JLF springs for like a dollar :D

from your comments should i assume the JLF fits the stock hori stick?

I think one of the main reasons that Hori swaps out the buttons on the joysticks for their own concoction is that the Sanwa and Seimitsu variety are very loud compared to the ones Hori uses. And in Japan's small apartments, quietness is much appreciated.

MoxManiac

Ruprit said:
Both the SCIV stick and the Sanwa stick come with a four-way restriction plate. You'll have to buy the octagon separately.

What's the difference between the four-way and the ocatgon? All this stuff is confusing :(

I don't think it's accurate to call them 4 way, as I believe there are 4 way sticks and they're different from 8 way sticks like the sticks mentioned in this thread.

A square restrictor plate (gate) is quite literally a square. If you move the stick around in all directions, it you will feel the stick moving around in a square manner.

Basically: Imagine taking a stick and your movement was "restricted" to that of a square or an octagon. That's what the difference is.

http://www.gopodular.com/support_articles/arcade_joystick_comparison_happ_sanwa_seimitsu.htm

I think someone posted that earlier in the thread.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
MoxManiac said:
What's the difference between the four-way and the ocatgon? All this stuff is confusing :(

When moving the stick around the stock/standard square gate, it'll feel like a square.

Octagonal restrictor plates will make it feel like an octagon.

Badabing!

CPS2

Teknopathetic said:
I don't think it's accurate to call them 4 way, as I believe there are 4 way sticks and they're different from 8 way sticks like the sticks mentioned in this thread.

Yeah I think 4 way refers to the top half of the seimitsu gate.

LS-32parts.jpg

Blue thing in the middle row, on the right.

MoxManiac

MarkMan said:
When moving the stick around the stock/standard square gate, it'll feel like a square.

Octagonal restrictor plates will make it feel like an octagon.

Badabing!

Okay, so is octagonal generally the perferred type?

Nikorasu

Hmm, alright, question. The EX2 recognizes properly as a 360 controller, but the stick is bound as a hat-switch, aka the 360 controller's d-pad. This is very bad. No PC fighting games or MAME support hat switch controls. Is there any way for me to fix this or alternate drivers that are actually vista 64-bit compatible?

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Nikorasu said:
Hmm, alright, question. The EX2 recognizes properly as a 360 controller, but the stick is bound as a hat-switch, aka the 360 controller's d-pad. This is very bad. No PC fighting games or MAME support hat switch controls. Is there any way for me to fix this or alternate drivers that are actually vista 64-bit compatible?

Use xpadder if ya have to. ;)

Nikorasu

Well, looks like the newest version of MAME has hatswitch support, so its just stuff like melty blood that needs xpadder. Good stuff. Really needs an octagonal gate though...circular movement is kid of iffy. The buttons seem somewhat insensitive too. Can't wait for those seimitsus. Good stick though, perfect size.

i have spare DS2 laying here and have means and wants to make a box would it be easier to more cost effective to padhack my ds2 and make a custom.

OR

buy a hori non prostick and mod that eventually ( i heard soldering is a pain but i have experience with small metal work so i dont see that as a problem.)

Nikorasu said:
Well, looks like the newest version of MAME has hatswitch support, so its just stuff like melty blood that needs xpadder. Good stuff. Really needs an octagonal gate though...circular movement is kid of iffy. The buttons seem somewhat insensitive too. Can't wait for those seimitsus. Good stick though, perfect size.
I agree. I really like the fact they aren't hulkingly massive.

purg3

slept with Malkin
U K Narayan said:
So, I'm having a custom stick made by Arcade-In-A-Box. It should be awesome. I'll post some pictures when I get it. :D

Nice, what did your total come to if you don't mind me asking?

Argh. I tried playing Street Fighter III Strike and SFA (PSN) with my HRAP3. I could not do double fireball motions worth anything nor quickly snap out a dragon punch. I'm going to see if swapping the ball for a bat top + adaptor will rectify the situation. And I do see what some mean by cheap buttons.

Overall, I'm pleased with the quality so far. I can also see why some would block out the L1 and L2 buttons.

Off to Lizardlick. I'm also happy it has the Home button so I can play PS2 games now...even if there is a bit of lag.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom