• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Arcade Stick Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Yea, podcast is on hold... sorry.

---

Borrow'd and copy/pasted RoboKrikit's post over in the TVC FightStick thread on SRK... Good visual goodness for ya'll.

RoboKrikit on SRK Forums said:
I picked up a TvC stick yesterday and played with it a bit. I really like the matte control panel label on the stick itself. If you've been lucky enough to play on a naked arcade control panel without any plexiglass protecting it, this is what it feels like, and it's nice. Seems like a Lexan label (polycarbonate)? If this is the same stuff mamemarquees is using for their prints I may be making an order soon...

There've been a lot of general impressions posted so I'm going to mostly focus on the stick and buttons. This is really more of a review of the new MadCatz Sanwa clone components.

The Buttons

The buttons are Sanwa OBSF-30 clones. They're more of a neutral white than the Sanwas. The button casings are virtually identical with a couple differences.

* MC buttons have little cutouts on the bottom of the button casings
* MC buttons have slightly less material on the nubs directly underneath the rim

The cutouts are pretty much irrelevant, though they may make button presses slightly louder. This is sort of like the difference in sound between screw-ins and snap-ins, where the sound of screw-ins is a little more muffled.

20100127_175545.jpg

20100127_175821.jpg

20100127_180208.jpg

The new casings are branded with the MadCatz logo.

20100127_185101.jpg

With the switches disassembled, we can see the primary difference between the two is the size of the spring. MadCatz has a similar but longer spring inside the switch. The functional pieces of the casing are essentially identical, as are the steel balls. Aside of the gold connectors the fundamental difference is the spring, and this is what lends the MadCatz button to have a slightly stiffer feel than the Sanwa.

20100127_181736.jpg

20100127_194309.jpg

Note the difference in alignment in the contacts. Sanwa seems to manufacture with a pretty low error tolerance and the contacts are virtually always very well-aligned. The MadCatz variants are sometimes slightly off, though this seems to make no noticeable difference in the behavior of the switch.

20100127_194720.jpg

20100127_195522.jpg

20100127_195707.jpg

20100127_195724.jpg

The little piece in the switch plunger that holds the spring in place is situated a little differently between the two; the MadCatz has it centered in the center of the spring hole, while the Sanwa has it off-center of the hole, which actually puts it closer to the center of the switch. This isn't due to difference in camera angle, they're actually like this.

20100127_204332.jpg
20100127_204508.jpg

After seeing the insides of these switches, it should come as very little surprise that when I swapped only the springs between the MadCatz and Sanwa and reassembled the buttons, the MadCatz button felt like a Sanwa and vice-versa.

The Joystick

The joystick is a Sanwa JLF clone. MarkMan posted previously that they were unable to get rights to the Sanwa TP-MA PCB/switch assembly that the JLF uses, so MadCatz built their own using similar (the same?) Omron microswitches and a compatible connector.

The gates appear to be functionally identical; the 8-way/4-way selector in the center is also the same. Since the casings and components of the two sticks are so similar, pretty much anything from the JLF should be able to be used as a replacement.

I accidentally swapped left and right in a couple of these pix, but they are labeled correctly.

20100127_202926.jpg

20100127_203848.jpg

The spacing between the actuator and microswitches (the "dead zone") seems the same.

20100127_212514.jpg

20100127_212527.jpg

20100127_203712.jpg

20100127_204701.jpg

20100127_204427.jpg

The microswitch contacts look decentered here due to the way they are wired to the PCB; when the stick is assembled they are firmly centered.

20100127_204434.jpg

20100127_204558.jpg

20100127_204547.jpg

The D3V-16-3A5 microswitch up close.

20100127_213002.jpg

The shafts have the same dimensions; the slot at the bottom used to unscrew the balltop is deeper on the Sanwa.

20100127_213305.jpg

Again we get to the important difference between the two sticks, and the one that makes the biggest difference in the way the stick feels and operates: the spring. This is again a little longer in the MadCatz part with its extra coil, which creates some extra stiffness. Those who dislike the looseness of the JLF may like this, and those who feel their TvC stick is too stiff have an easy option: replace the spring with its JLF equivalent. Is your shaft stiff enough? :D

20100127_221959.jpg

As for the actuators, they appear almost identical; my MadCatz sample is slightly tighter around the shaft (either shaft, they are the same). The bit that actually actuates the microswitches seems to be the same size.

20100127_222311.jpg

20100127_222734.jpg

20100127_223252.jpg

The spring covers are the same. The MadCatz stick came with an over-generous application of grease, which is what you see here and all over the shaft, actuator, spring, enclosure, PCB, washer, etc.

20100127_223045.jpg

20100127_223029.jpg

So what's the upshot of all this? The stick feels like a stiffer JLF. The buttons feel like stiffer Sanwas. If you could get an individual pack of springs for the switches, in theory you could 'upgrade' to Sanwa for a few bucks and some spare time. But if a JLF and Sanwa buttons that are a little stiffer than normal are more to your liking, you may as well keep what it comes with.

Good shit MadCatz! Hopefully we see these components in future sticks (new SE for Super?). :)

Please post or PM me any corrections.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
NOTE: THIS ONLINE PROMOTION IS ONLY VALID FROM JAN. 29 - 31, 2010!

ALSO NOTE, ONLY ONE COUPON CODE CAN BE USED AT A TIME! IF YOU WANT TO GET A DISCOUNT ON BOTH A TE STICK ORDER AND/OR FIGHTPAD/SE FIGHTSTICK YOU WILL HAVE TO CREATE SEPARATE ORDERS!

Hello everyone!

There will be a special Mad Catz Store ( http://store.gameshark.com ) promotion going on this weekend!

I'll be live in Northern California at this week's NorCal Strong Style 4 Tournament plugging this website promo and showing off some of our new Super Street Fighter IV and Tatsunoko VS. Capcom products! Stay tuned to http://iplaywinner.com for more details & watch the live stream on Saturday!

We will be doing 20% OFF all Tournament Edition sticks (Excluding Marvel VS Capcom 2 TE FightSticks) & 30% OFF all standard FightSticks & FightPads!*

The 20% OFF TE FightSticks includes the following... Please use promo code = KEYCHAIN20

4738.gif
SF4-RD2-4738.jpg
SF4-FF4738.jpg

• Street Fighter IV Arcade FightStick Tournament Edition (Round 1) for PlayStation 3 & Xbox 360
  • Street Fighter IV "Round 2" Arcade FightStick Tournament Edition for PlayStation 3 & Xbox 360
  • Street Fighter IV "Femme Fatale" Arcade FightStick Tournament Edition for Xbox 360 (VERY LIMITED NUMBERS LEFT!)
The 30% OFF product list includes the following... Please use promo code = KEYCHAIN30

4718.gif
4728-guile.jpg
ComicCon-4728.jpg

• Street Fighter IV Arcade FightStick (Standard Edition) for PlayStation 3 & Xbox 360
  • Street Fighter IV FightPad (Round 1) for PlayStation 3 & Xbox 360
  • Street Fighter IV "Round 2" FightPad for PlayStation 3 & Xbox 360
  • Street Fighter IV "Comic-Con Exclusive" FightPad for PlayStation 3 & Xbox 360
ALL ORDERS USING THE SPECIAL PROMO CODE (Either KEYCHAIN20 or KEYCHAIN30), WILL RECEIVE A BONUS MAD CATZ TE STICK PROMO KEY CHAIN (While supplies last!).

4194064755_a1d9a7526c.jpg

* Excludes Marvel VS Capcom 2 Tournament Edition FightSticks & Tatsunoko VS. Capcom FightSticks.
* Offer available to continental US residents only (Sorry International buyers! Plan ahead and see if a US buddy can help you with this deal)!

The deal is now LIVE. Go get it!

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
_dementia: unfortunately we will not, they are strictly for promotional use only... and giveaways at events...

bumpkin

MarkMan said:
We will be doing 20% OFF all Tournament Edition sticks (Excluding Marvel VS Capcom 2 TE FightSticks) & 30% OFF all standard FightSticks & FightPads!*

The 20% OFF TE FightSticks includes the following... Please use promo code = KEYCHAIN20
Fuuuuuuuuuuuucccckkkk... Why do you hate me, MarkMan? WHY? I totally don't have the money to buy a second stick; not to mention my wife would maim me if I did. :lol

...but the Round 2 artwork is so sexy.

MarkMan, thanks for getting the r2 360 sticks up on the site, I bought one and can't wait for it to arrive. I've needed a new stick for awhile now, but I gotta be honest, the keychain is what made me jump in. :D

Not sure I want to mod it, it looks great the way it is, but I do want to make a custom stick soon. I'm not sure I like wood cases so I'm wondering if you can point me towards any empty plastic cases, preferably with a Vewlix layout. Or any stick I could get on the cheap just so I can use the case. I've been searching SRK all day, put up some want ads on Craigslist for SE & TE sticks, scanned eBay... nothing yet.

Momar

aka Ryder
Question for some HRAP3 Pros: How on earth do I get to the PS3 PCB hidden underneath the buttons on the top left? I have a short somewhere in there, probably from some stray solder from the dual mod. Help!

edit: Figured it out, there were some screws on the underside of the body. Problem solved!

Garcian

Is there much difference between the HRAP & TE sticks? i've used an HRAP Ex for hundreds of hours now & the stick has begun to feel pretty unresponsive. I have zero soldering skills so don't particularly want to go down that route.

With Super just round the corner I was considering treating myself to a new stick - is there much in it?

Sealda

Banned
So i have had my TE for a month now, i do not play SF4 that much but i still love my TE, is there any game for PS3 where i can put it to test without it being a fighting game. Like Thexder Neo? Or any other SHMUP?

I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but what better place to find arcade stick experts than this thread, right?

I have a MadCatz Tournament Edition stick for PS3. I have been using it for SFIV and MvC2 on PSN. Love the thing to death, but over the holiday season I picked up SFIV for the PC due to the awesome Steam deal. The stick works good on my Core Duo system with integrated intel graphics, but the game runs like total crap.

I just got a new Alienware laptop, and the stick shows up in the control panel but doesn't register button inputs. I have heard this is due to the nVidia nforce 730i chipset that the board uses.

Is there a way to get the stick working on my laptop? I have seen people have installed PCI cards on their desktops that have intel and/or via chipsets, but obviously this isn't an option on a laptop. =((

Sealda said:
So i have had my TE for a month now, i do not play SF4 that much but i still love my TE, is there any game for PS3 where i can put it to test without it being a fighting game. Like Thexder Neo? Or any other SHMUP?
Definitely grab R-Type Delta off PSOne Classics on PSN. One of my favorite shooters ever.

Kimosabae

Banned
What's the best American style arcade stick right now? I've been using the Madcatz TE stick and I'm starting to think it's a piece of shit. I just can't seem to get used to the Japanese style joystick. I'm thinking about selling it.

Can anyone help?

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
I'm using this american stick, and my record online is 2 wins and 43928 losses. Based on that performance, this stick must suck. Where can I get some Yugoslavian arcade sticks?

h3ro

MarkMan said:
I'm using this american stick, and my record online is 2 wins and 43928 losses. Based on that performance, this stick must suck. Where can I get some Yugoslavian arcade sticks?

Triangle-gated Indian sticks or GTFO

Kimosabae

Banned
MarkMan said:

Thanks for the reply. What makes Yugo sticks different from American and Japanese style sticks?

hitsugi

Kimosabae said:
What's the best American style arcade stick right now? I've been using the Madcatz TE stick and I'm starting to think it's a piece of shit. I just can't seem to get used to the Japanese style joystick. I'm thinking about selling it.

Can anyone help?

poor phrasing, but it seems american style joysticks (fucking finally) died this gen. best option for an american stick is to find someone that does customs and send them an order.

Kimosabae

Banned
hitsugi said:
poor phrasing, but it seems american style joysticks (fucking finally) died this gen. best option for an american stick is to find someone that does customs and send them an order.

What's wrong with the phrasing??

It's not possible to mode a Jap style stick to give an American feel is it?

Kimosabae said:
What's wrong with the phrasing??

It's not possible to mode a Jap style stick to give an American feel is it?
no.

and before someone says anything, a seimitsu spring, bat top, and octo gate on a JLF still feels nothing like an american stick.

on the plus side, it's pretty cheap to build your own american stick using Happ/iL parts.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
MarkMan said:

Scrub.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Kadey said:

I still owe you my stick. Where would you like it?

I'm not a scrub :(

---

Okay serious reply to Kimosabae.

Your best bet, would be to get an Arcade In A Box stick (easiest IMO) or get a MAS style stick ( http://www.arcadeshock.com/items/pro-arcade-sticks~mas~hori~/list.htm )

There are even some on ebay.

If you don't want to spend much money on one, try to find a cheap SF 15th Anniversary NubyTech stick.

Be aware that the quality of Happ parts has gone from awesome to meh over the years. iL is now where it's at and even then they don't match to the Happ of the early 2000s (IMO).

So good luck!

Daigoro

Kimosabae said:

Can anyone help?

i can help.

its certainly not the sticks fault. you're welcome.

vulva

I really want to mod my TE so I can play it on both consoles... but am stuck in Canada. Anyone hear of any places in Toronto that can help? I'm useless at soldering, so I feel like I'm out from doing it myself

Happy Phantom said:
I really want to mod my TE so I can play it on both consoles... but am stuck in Canada. Anyone hear of any places in Toronto that can help? I'm useless at soldering, so I feel like I'm out from doing it myself
I would hit up the regional boards at SRK and ask is anyone does dual mods locally.
Here is the Toronto thread.

andymcc

Banned
i'm getting a new imac today and i was wondering, does the SFIVTE stick work on a mac? or are there drivers or something like that i'll have to get first?

andymcc said:
i'm getting a new imac today and i was wondering, does the SFIVTE stick work on a mac? or are there drivers or something like that i'll have to get first?

The PS3 one worked out of the box. I couldn't get the 360 version to get it to work, but I think there are drivers out there that makes it work. BTW, I was using the SE, not the TE... Don't think it should make too much of a difference though.

edit: beaten.

edit2: ChIMP works without drivers if you're planning to mod.

Resilient

Hey guys.

I've had a Hori Real Arcade Pro EX (360) for about a year now, and the buttons decided to finally cave in and die. I ordered 8 Sanwa OBSF-30's from Lizard Lick, and they came today. I was going through removing the quick disconnects, and while removing one from the A button, the wire has come undone from the metal quick disconnect. Now I know the thing isn' completely ruined, so I was just wondering what I'm meant to do to fix it? Do I just solder the wire (the wire is exposed, the rubber around it is there but the exposed wire at the end is visible) to the metal quick disconnect to fix it? And then connect it to the new button?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm a little new to this modding business.

It was actually my girlfriend that did it, my appendix was just recently taken out and I didn't have the strength to do it. So, as she was helping take it out, she broke it :p

kazuo

bluebird said:
It was actually my girlfriend that did it, my appendix was just recently taken out and I didn't have the strength to do it. So, as she was helping take it out, she broke it :p

OWN IT SON OWN IT

j/k. In all seriousness, easy easy fix. Here is what you do:

1) Go to electronics store, auto parts store, etc. Purchase .187 (I think) quick disconnects for like $2 for like a bazillion.

2) Go home.

3) Make food.

4) While eating, grab knife/nail clippers/scissors/whatever (wire strippers work great for this, they cost a few bucks) and strip the end of the wire that you ripped the quick disconnect off of.

5) Insert exposed wire into new quick disconnect.

6) Crimp quick disconnect onto wire using pliers, a hammer, your fingers--whatever is powerful enough to crimp the QD onto the wire. 'Crimping' the quick disconnect is basically crushing the "plastic" colored end of the quick disconnect (not the metal connector but the opposite end) so that it holds onto the wire; the metal inside that canal conducts the signal through the wire to the connector.

the end! Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom