• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Arcade Stick Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rufus said:
What 2D fighting game would need an octagonal gate?

Need was probably a poor choice for words, but it IS useful having an octagonal gate for moves requiring more circular motions. The aforementioned American arcade sticks being a good example.

Guys, Sanwa developed their GT-Y Octagonal gate for Virtua Striker, a 3D soccer game. They weren't intended to be used for fightans.

It's hip to be square!

NeoUltima

I was going to get mad since I just bought my TE the other day, but since they're sold out, I can't be. Plus I got awesome mvc2 /w awesome yellow buttons. Seriously, I love yellow buttons XD.

Flek

Banned
“While US sales declined, Europe sales jumped 58 percent. Europe is mad about Mad Catz."

well yeha madcatz europe is a piece of shit … they dont bring new sticks over so fuck them :O

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Flek said:
“While US sales declined, Europe sales jumped 58 percent. Europe is mad about Mad Catz."

well yeha madcatz europe is a piece of shit … they dont bring new sticks over so fuck them :O

excuse me, you need to check yourself/resources before you make a huff and puff

you think we can release everything in every territory with repercussion?

I know I want to release all the stuff I work on everywhere, but that's just not how it happens.

NeoUltima

So my stick has been squeaking(slightly annoying) when I move it to the left...Is there any way to get rid of the noise without opening it up(and voiding warranty)?

I doubt it, but can't hurt to ask...

Tain said:
So is there any way to, like, clean an EX2's buttons without desoldering anything?

I miss my 2P joystick.
Theory mod time
You might be able to remove the button plungers and clean the switches that way.

Unscrew the bottom base and see if you can pop the button plungers out of their housing by pressing the tabs with a small screwdriver.

I have circled the tabs for illustrative purposes (Sanwa is pictured, but Hori is similar):

2mwf8lt.jpg

Dunno if it will work for sure without desoldering the buttons entirely; no EX2 in front of me at the moment. I know it'll be a small amount of space to work with though.

Tain

Thanks! I actually could get 'em open and cleaned, but sadly the switches themselves got pretty fucked up when the spill happened, soooo it's looking like i might just Sanwa the buttons or something. Depends on how motivated I am.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
xb360-4961818012189-2.jpg

Going to order this stick on the 25th, and wanted to get a verdict on it's quality from people who know about sticks. :lol
Wanted to know if some of the default parts would need replacing to something of more quality, and if it's possible to dual mod to work with my PS3 as well.

InfiniteNine said:
xb360-4961818012189-2.jpg

Going to order this stick on the 25th, and wanted to get a verdict on it's quality from people who know about sticks. :lol
Wanted to know if some of the default parts would need replacing to something of more quality, and if it's possible to dual mod to work with my PS3 as well.
Stick lever is amazing. Seimitsu LS-32 is my favorite for STG.
The stock buttons are shit, but super easy to replace.

PS3 dualmodding might be a hassle because Hori tends to not use PCBs with common ground for their 360 sticks

Pctx

Banned
There any major differnences between the TE1 and TE2 sticks?
Should be getting the TE2 for my bday and I can hardly wait!
Playing on the ds3 is getting old. :)

jmro

FindMyFarms said:
That's awesome. I think the TE single handedly changed their image, and I really hope MarkMan's gettin a kickback from all the excellent work he's done.

Except for all the 360 PCB issues. My buddy just bought 2 Round 2s and the RT button is dying on one of them already. They really need a proper fix for that.

GeoNeo said:
Joytron Paewang Revolution PCB. Supports 360 and PS3 and easy as hell to wire up.

http://www.etokki.com/Joytron Paewang Revolution PCB Only

That could work, but you're going to be gutting the PCB since you only want 1 wire coming out... Unless you want two coming out.

Also, if you're going to be using chimp, you're going to have to solder anyway since you're going to have to desolder the USB cord and reattach it to the chimp board... I'd also recommend soldering instead of using the solderless method... I think the Cthulhu's easier than the chimp but I think you have to press specific buttons before the system boots up to let the stick go into PS3/360 mode.

edit: If you still feel uneasy, it might be better to pay a professional to solder for you. I was lucky enough to have a friend who is really good at soldering and it took him about 30-45 mins to solder.

zlatko

Banned
I play a hefty amount of Blazblue and Street Fighter 4 and plan to get Super Street Fighter 4 and Continuum Shift this year. I've looked over a few of the guides and links about what I should go with, but I'm still not sure because of so many options.

Here's what I know:

1) I don't think I can spend over 100.00. Which is hard to do since most I've seen are 150+, but for that price I can pretty much get myself an extra Wii or DS lol.

2) Name brand means nothing to me. I just need it to be confirmed by others to not be a piece of junk after much use.

3) I don't know if I want square or octagon. Which is the preferred for SF4 players? Odds are that is what I'd go with.

So Gaf, is there a stick that exists out there with my cheap man needs? :lol

GeoNeo

I disagree.
Prototype-03 said:
That could work, but you're going to be gutting the PCB since you only want 1 wire coming out... Unless you want two coming out.

The PCB has the logic and stuff for both 360 and PS3. You just snip off the USB cable rewire it to the cable used on the T.E.

Unwire the stuff from the Madcatz PCB. And, simply rewire to this.

Also, wire up the Turbo stuff too. To switch between 360 and PS3 mode just hold down Turbo before plugging in.

There are guides for this PCB on SRK.

cramcakes

zlatko said:
I play a hefty amount of Blazblue and Street Fighter 4 and plan to get Super Street Fighter 4 and Continuum Shift this year. I've looked over a few of the guides and links about what I should go with, but I'm still not sure because of so many options.

Here's what I know:

1) I don't think I can spend over 100.00. Which is hard to do since most I've seen are 150+, but for that price I can pretty much get myself an extra Wii or DS lol.

2) Name brand means nothing to me. I just need it to be confirmed by others to not be a piece of junk after much use.

3) I don't know if I want square or octagon. Which is the preferred for SF4 players? Odds are that is what I'd go with.

Which system?

zlatko said:

Here's what I know:

1) Assuming it's PS3, get The Hori Real Arcade Pro 3. It's the best stock stick under $100
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001GDQRZM/?tag=neogaf0e-20

If it's 360, the best you can get for under $100 is the Standard Madcatz Fightstick
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001M22VCU/?tag=neogaf0e-20

2) PS3's HRAP3 is quality stuff. Reliable and its lever is an arcade-spec Sanwa JLF.
360's SE fightsticks had some quality control issues in their initial run, but they have reportedly been phased out.

3) Square gates are most common among players, and are standard on official SFIV arcade cabinets.

tribal24

Banned
yay so finally got a TE the mvc 2 one, i love this stick everything comes out so smoothly i owned a sc4 arcade stick and the quality for this stick just kills that one. ok now i kinda wanna switch the colors of the buttons and the ball can someone telll me which parrts im supposed to buy? and how easy it is to do?

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
tribal24 said:
yay so finally got a TE the mvc 2 one, i love this stick everything comes out so smoothly i owned a sc4 arcade stick and the quality for this stick just kills that one. ok now i kinda wanna switch the colors of the buttons and the ball can someone telll me which parrts im supposed to buy? and how easy it is to do?

very easy.

JLF-TP-8YT-SK is the drop in replacement for the stick... but if you want just the ball top you can use the Sanwa LB35 or Seimitsu LB35, note there are tons of variations on these. Clear bubble tops, mesh ball tops etc.

For buttons I'd suggest OBSF30s as they are the easiest to work with.

The 30/24 number after the OBSF stand for the size. 30mm is a standard action button and 24mm is the size of the start & select/back buttons.

http://www.lizardlick.com/pages/pushbuttons.shtml for more info.

I'm lazy to get into all the different options/customization stuff you can do on a TE. I'd suggest looking thru this gallery I have of different custom SE/TE sticks for any ideas on colors/schemes:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sdtekken/sets/72157613138990929/

zlatko

Banned
_dementia said:
1) Assuming it's PS3, get The Hori Real Arcade Pro 3. It's the best stock stick under $100
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001GDQRZM/?tag=neogaf0e-20

If it's 360, the best you can get for under $100 is the Standard Madcatz Fightstick
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001M22VCU/?tag=neogaf0e-20

2) PS3's HRAP3 is quality stuff. Reliable and its lever is an arcade-spec Sanwa JLF.
360's SE fightsticks had some quality control issues in their initial run, but they have reportedly been phased out.

3) Square gates are most common among players, and are standard on official SFIV arcade cabinets.

Awesome suggestions. I just recently saw that my Gamestop though has a few MvC2 tournament sticks for 99.99. I think I'll grab one of those for my PS3.

I was kind of surprised you suggested a regular fight stick though for 360. All the reviews on those are that they are a 100% waste of money and break very quickly and easily. Was there some sort of new batch that fixed the old ones crap quality ?

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Hey guys, I have a bit of an odd question.

A few weeks ago, I put a new spring in my TE stick. There was a ton of tension and I really liked how it felt. Then I kind of got bored of SF4 for a few weeks so I wasn't using the stick and now that I've come back to it, it feels just as loose as it did before I got the new spring. What could make the spring lose so much tension when not in use?

Ysiadmihi said:
Hey guys, I have a bit of an odd question.

A few weeks ago, I put a new spring in my TE stick. There was a ton of tension and I really liked how it felt. Then I kind of got bored of SF4 for a few weeks so I wasn't using the stick and now that I've come back to it, it feels just as loose as it did before I got the new spring. What could make the spring lose so much tension when not in use?
Replace it with an LS-32 spring. You can get one from lizardlick or gamingnow.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
_dementia said:
Replace it with an LS-32 spring. You can get one from lizardlick or gamingnow.

That's what I put in my stick (kept the original spring in there too for extra tension). I ordered a second LS-32 just in case, and tried that as well and there still doesn't feel like there is much tension...

Could it just feel loose because I haven't played for awhile or could something else be messing up the tension?

Ysiadmihi said:
That's what I put in my stick (kept the original spring in there too for extra tension). I ordered a second LS-32 just in case, and tried that as well and there still doesn't feel like there is much tension...

Could it just feel loose because I haven't played for awhile or could something else be messing up the tension?
i have never tired this but have you ever heard of the JLF ultimate mod?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QytcbzZmXaI

seems bit ghetto

Or you could drop an actual LS-32-01 in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom