• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Arcade Stick Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

kurahadol

If you read just a few posts earlier you would see that the stick is complete Sanwa (it just isn't specified which model), MarkMan is working with Mad Katz on these sticks and are going to be complete quality.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
41VfalGKonL._SS400_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0018OCJ5Q/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Not the greatest stick but for 40 dollars its a great deal.

kurahadol

Pretty killer deal, can be a really nice stick if you're willing to put the man hours into it too. If Amazon shipped to Canada I'd be all over that :/

I'll wait for the upcoming SFIV sticks.

kurahadol said:
If you read just a few posts earlier you would see that the stick is complete Sanwa (it just isn't specified which model), MarkMan is working with Mad Katz on these sticks and are going to be complete quality.

isnt the higher end model only sanwa (120 most likely) and the lower end comparable to the normal hori stick but by madcatz. i was refering to the lower end stick being full of typically madcatz wankery (no offense to markman). The sanwa model is a really great deal.

edit. i really wanna make my own custom stick. but i dont know the least amount of depth needed for a seimitsu stick to fit into a box.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Not only do I plan on having the higher end stick be the best retail out the box (with real arcade parts), I plan on having the lower end stick be the best out of all the arcade sticks without authentic parts.

No joke!

.... dammit markman i really wanna make my own custom stick but you may just talk me out of it.

i talked to a gamestop manager on my break at work to see if they were getting these in. they said the limited edition was 80.... i dont really know what she was talking about. but she kept mentioning the art and not the quality assuming it was the lower end stick?

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Shinz Kicker said:
.... dammit markman i really wanna make my own custom stick but you may just talk me out of it.

i talked to a gamestop manager on my break at work to see if they were getting these in. they said the limited edition was 80.... i dont really know what she was talking about. but she kept mentioning the art and not the quality assuming it was the lower end stick?

lol I have no idea what she's talking about either.

GameStop. lol.

So, I'm a noob with arcade sticks. The SF4 sticks looks great, MM. What are ''sanwa'' parts exactly? And why the markup for these parts?

I see the name thrown around a lot in this thread, but I have no clue what it means.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
@ biggkidd32

Sanwa parts are the parts that are most common in actual arcade machines in Japan. They are considered the standard if not the best(which is debatable and entirely up to preference at the end). But quality wise, Sanwa delivers.

----

@ Shinz Kicker

The REAL converter works fine with DS1 and non Dual Shock PCBs. It's just Dual Shock 2 (PS2) controllers where it has an issue.

I suggest an inPin. Check the review on it at my site: http://sdtekken.com ...

taku

stick.jpg

Edit: I kind of want to paint/spray it white and throw in a silver plate + my pink buttons instead. Black is a little dull :'(

CAVE343

bad-joey said:
O yeah, they are coming to pal land! Thanks!

edit: O and I have a question. I have Street Fighter Anniversary Edition Arcade Stick from Nuby. Its seems it has a kind of hardware problem, every half a minute the stick inputs a "up" movement. So in SFIII my character starts to jump by itself which is pretty annoying and kind of gamebreaking. Is this a known problem with sticks and is it fixable?

Anyone?

KdoubleA

ArcadEd said:
Snapshot,
I don't think you ordered from me, but if you did I send the original square restrictor with the stick if you order the octo gate.

In other news.
PS3/360 sticks are now available on the site. I tried hard to get the price at $199 but I just couldn't do it. The labor involved is almost as much as doing 2 sticks. They are starting at $219.

www.arcadeinabox.com

Thanks all.

I just bought a PS3/ X360 True Arcade Custom from AIAB a couple of hours ago.

The total price was over $250...I know CRAZY :lol I figured I'd be needing one for both the PS3 and xbox 360 (Tekken 6 and Virtua Fighter 5 online....and whichever console VF5R might be released for). I don't have the time to mod my own so I wanted to go with what I heard and read; that AIAB has the best quality out there. The Hori EX2 I'm currently using is an unresponsive annoying stick, so hopefully I'll be pleased with my purchase.

I went with an all Sanwa (square gate ofcourse) and a curved layout...Can't wait for it to get here :D

in search of a ps3 ready board to solder too i found 5 dollar ps3 usb controllers on ebay with 7 dollar shipping if anyone is gonna make another custom stick we could probably go in together to get cheap shipping on multiples.

i just dropped 56us at Lizard Lick on Seimitsu buttons and Stick. i think im gonna change the design of the stick a bit dunno what graphic to use. more updates as i get farther into the project.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
I just came from Tao's(MAS SYSTEMS) crib tonight. He had a controller made by Hori with Sanwa stick in it. This was the first time I ever felt one, and I was a bit dissapointed. Mind you, I didn't actually get to play any games, but the stick was much more loose than I thought. I was a bit taken aback by the feel....I had assumed the Japanese sticks were stiff like Happ sticks, but I guess I was wrong. It was way too loose and clickity for me, and I wasn't fond of the height of the stick from the base either.

Are all Sanwa sticks this loose?

Anyway I came away tonight with two completely revamped Xbox 360 MAS sticks....one with competition stick(hard spring) and concave buttons, and one with a Perfect 360(MAS improved hard spring) stick and convex buttons. Can't wait to test 'em out tomorrow :D

PS-PS2&DC-2.jpg

str8-h4x

Oh! My Car! said:
There is indeed less throw on sanwa sticks, you might want to try a seimitsu instead.

Actually, the seimitsu sticks are known for a shorter throw, hence they are preferred by many shmup players.

The reason the sanwa feels "loose" is due to the spring. You can get a harder spring, but the beauty of a light spring is the endurance factor. You can play comfortably, MUCH LONGER on a lighter spring than on your standard happ/iL stick. YMMV

dfyb

Banned
I built a stick from scratch over the summer, and for the most part logged it in my artblog (biggest missing entity is the soldering/wiring, since i lost the pics --

IMG_5541.jpg

IMG_5539.jpg

IMG_5544.jpg

It's not necessarily finished, as I do plan on going back and finishing the wood (sanding it to a more refined shape and surfacing it), and I will most likely replace the art with something more unique later. The wiring was done really quickly, so I may go and redo that, too. But the stick is functional, so I'm more than happy to take a break :p.

PCB_SFAC.jpg

Deciding on button layout, buying wood and ordering parts.

woot_assemble3.jpg

Assembling main body.

holes_drilling3.jpg

Drilling out holes for the buttons and stick.

routing_done_bottom.jpg

Routing and other woodwork.

IMG_5537.jpg

Wiring and a temporary back. (again, sorry for this entry being less detailed - I might go back and add more sometime)

Just got the Tekken Anniversary Stick by Hori from viewtiful_dru (found it in this thread!). I don't know enough about sticks to decide what I want in terms of premium parts, so I figured I would just get a cheap, decent stick to start. It is tougher to relearn SF and Tekken on a stick than I anticipated! I'm really enjoying it so far, though, and this might get me to pick up a premium SFIV stick when they come out.

Guymelef

Some days ago I asked this in the Tatsunoko Vs Capcom thread without response, maybe here...

Any good PS2 to NGC controller adapter?
I have this:
1-2.jpg

but the buttons assignment with a Hori Real Arcade Pro is awful, some buttons doesn't work.

Strike

What 's the best arcade stick available for the PS2/PS3? I'd like to get back into MvC2 without ruining another controller.

Strike said:
What 's the best arcade stick available for the PS2/PS3? I'd like to get back into MvC2 without ruining another controller.
Commercially? Virtua Stick High Grade or HRAP2/3

Why you're playing MvC2 on PS2 though? :X

dfyb

Banned
Shinz Kicker said:
do some board even need soldering? i was thinking i could hot glue to keep the wire in place on the board if its touching the metal.
that's pretty hard to do and it'd easily come undone. using hot glue to protect solder joints is a great idea (shown in my wiring pic), but hot glue alone is not going to be reliable.

str8-h4x said:
Actually, the seimitsu sticks are known for a shorter throw, hence they are preferred by many shmup players.

The reason the sanwa feels "loose" is due to the spring. You can get a harder spring, but the beauty of a light spring is the endurance factor. You can play comfortably, MUCH LONGER on a lighter spring than on your standard happ/iL stick. YMMV
You're right! I got it backwards, oops.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I went from being stickless to having a normal ex2, sc4 ex2, and t5 anniversary. I plan to mod one of the EX2s. Link me.

what type of parts were typically in american arcade cabs back in the 90's? those are the type of sticks i'm used to and, after using the hori stick for the 360, i realize i prefer sticks that are tigther and provide more resistance. the hori stick is extremely loose.

MikeHaggar said:
what type of parts were typically in american arcade cabs back in the 90's? those are the type of sticks i'm used to and, after using the hori stick for the 360, i realize i prefer sticks that are tigther and provide more resistance. the hori stick is extremely loose.
Happ

noooooo, im all finished but im missing the use of square and triangle and left and down. im gonna look at my solders. but i was soo close now im soo far.

edit: Pcb board is fail. i bought 2 more comming soon hopefully ill get it up and running.

Glix

So today is my birthday.

I found out my girlfriend pre-ordered a HRAP EX for me!!!! They will ship at the end of Nov!!

I'm super pumped! :D :D :D :D

I've heard conflicting info about the HRAP EX, are the buttons the ones you can just swap out easily, ED or whatever its called?

Yes Boss!

Glix said:
So today is my birthday.

I found out my girlfriend pre-ordered a HRAP EX for me!!!! They will ship at the end of Nov!!

End of November? Did you order from Arcade Shock? I preordered one from them but could not find a release date (or when they plan to get them in).

Yes Boss! said:
End of November? Did you order from Arcade Shock? I preordered one from them but could not find a release date (or when they plan to get them in).

Same here. Kind of strange... Maybe, an e-mail will help.

"I've heard conflicting info about the HRAP EX, are the buttons the ones you can just swap out easily, ED or whatever its called?"

Yes, they have quick disconnect terminals.

Glix

Yes Boss! said:

The news section has been updated as of 9-24. They say the sticks will ship late Nov/early Dec. They say the wait is because Hori is whipping up a whole new batch, just for them.

I CAN'T WAIT!

PS - GafExperts, am I going to want to Sanwa out my buttons right away? Or are the cheaper buttons good for a while until they take a pounding?

fubarduck

Glix said:
PS - GafExperts, am I going to want to Sanwa out my buttons right away? Or are the cheaper buttons good for a while until they take a pounding?

Personally, I play MUCH better on Sanwa buttons than the Hori buttons. I'd put the Sanwa buttons in right away, but YMMV.

FoxSpirit

Play for a week with the Hori, then swap them out. Or at first, swap only half of them. Just to REALLY appreciate the difference.

Matt_C

I wonder if anybody wants to mod my Sega Saturn Virtual On stick to work with a PSX PCB? I did the whole Saturn to Xbox to PS2 adapter business and it lagged like a mofo. I just want to play Virtual On on my JPN PS2 and maybe play it on a PC. I do not know how much should I ask for since I am new to the whole stick modding stuff.

virtualon_ps_sticks.jpg

This is what I want done to my sticks.

I live in East Prospect PA 17317 USA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom