• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Arcade Stick Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
MarkMan said:
New shoes to go with my new stick ;)

61539_436422568882_507353882_5260112_1124650_n.jpg
Perplexing why the hadn't made a Guy one

Threi

notag
h3ro said:
Got my 360 to PS3 Converter in today! :D

8y5apl.jpg

Tested it out with a few different controllers as well as some different games.

Controllers tested:

1. Mad Catz TE Round 2 Stick
2. Mad Catz SE Stick with Sanwa JLF/OBSFs
3. Hori EX-2
4. Mad Catz SFIV Controller (Flowchart Ken version :p)

I tested them using SFII HD Remix and Scott Pilgrim...

IT WORKS LIKE A CHARM!! :D

Now I'm by no means a pro fighting game player, so take this with a grain of salt for tournament use but I could feel absolutely difference in navigating the XMB or with inputs in the games. Couldn't really feel any lag during inputs in HDR either. It registered all the stick and button inputs right away. 360 Guide became the PS Button and so on. I'm thinking of picking up a wired 360 controller now and giving Uncharted a replay.

Looks like a very solid investment for those who didn't want to mod their sticks to play on PS3 with their 360 sticks.

For those that are tournament players or pro theory fighters on the SRK forums, I'd probably look for a test done by Markman or someone in the know on how to calculate lag.

Time to double dip and pick up Super and Continuum Shift for PS3. :D

forgot to ask: does this thing still work with PS3 firmware 3.50?

sifu

Neo Member
milkham said:
are these street fighter shoes rare/hard to get?

I don't know how rare they are. Here in Germany I had to search around.
These are Quickstrikes, so they are kinda limited.

There are three versions. Ryu (Mid Dunks), Chun-Li (Low Dunks) and Akuma (P-Rod 4 Hi).

Threi

notag
i swear i am never satisfied with these things (at least until i break it)

i can either stick with the art i had before or use that new one (it's a carbon-fibre texture)

Threi

notag
You guys are going to hate me for this....

I was applying the red art, but my gaze kept going over to the carbon fiber patterned one...

I probably made my stick worse looking and less unique but I just couldn't resist it.

from this template:

Yes Boss!

Question: how hard would it be to convert one of the inexpensive modern/current Hori/Madcatz sticks to a Neo Geo connector? Thinking I might want to go supergun so I can play my PCBs here on my TV. I would not care about retaining the old functionality of the stick...so long as it could hook up to a neo geo wired supergun.

McNum

So I've started looking into upgrading my SFIV SE stick. It's not bad, but the buttons have become a little too, I suppose "mushy" would be a good description, and I've had them activate even when I've just resting a finger on them without pressing intentionally. I'd like to see if I can do something about that. So, I've been looking and I think I found the parts I want, except I'm not 100% sure that they'd fit. Could you guys tell me if I'm about to do something stupid?

As mentioned I'm looking at my MadCatz Street Fighter IV Arcade Stick SE for PS3. The parts I'm looking at for replacements are:

6 Siemitsu PS-14-DN-CP buttons in white
2 Siemitsu PS-14-DN-CP buttons in black
1 Siemitsu LS-32 stick
1 Seimitsu Ball LB-39 in clear-white (for decoration)

Will this fit? Are these good parts?

I've tried doing some measurements on the stick, but I'm not sure if the button sizes are internal or external measurements, so I thought I'd ask before buying anything. Why Siemitsu? I like the clear/white look of the buttons, and from what I can tell, the stick has a slightly stronger spring than stock. Might as well get one of those while I'm ordering. I'm thinking of getting them from ArcadeShop.de, since I live in Europe, anyone got any experience with them? SRK doesn't seem to hate them, which is surprising.

McNum said:
So I've started looking into upgrading my SFIV SE stick. It's not bad, but the buttons have become a little too, I suppose "mushy" would be a good description, and I've had them activate even when I've just resting a finger on them without pressing intentionally. I'd like to see if I can do something about that. So, I've been looking and I think I found the parts I want, except I'm not 100% sure that they'd fit. Could you guys tell me if I'm about to do something stupid?

As mentioned I'm looking at my MadCatz Street Fighter IV Arcade Stick SE for PS3. The parts I'm looking at for replacements are:

6 Siemitsu PS-14-DN-CP buttons in white
2 Siemitsu PS-14-DN-CP buttons in black
1 Siemitsu LS-32 stick
1 Seimitsu Ball LB-39 in clear-white (for decoration)

Will this fit? Are these good parts?

I've tried doing some measurements on the stick, but I'm not sure if the button sizes are internal or external measurements, so I thought I'd ask before buying anything. Why Siemitsu? I like the clear/white look of the buttons, and from what I can tell, the stick has a slightly stronger spring than stock. Might as well get one of those while I'm ordering. I'm thinking of getting them from ArcadeShop.de, since I live in Europe, anyone got any experience with them? SRK doesn't seem to hate them, which is surprising.

So long as the buttons are 30mm you're fine. The ones you list are 24mm, though. And as much as the panel being metal helps with snap-ins, I would still suggest going with screw-ins, if only because the Seimitsu snap-ins are a bit... weird, IMO.

The stick should be an LS-32-01. It comes with the s-plate you'll need for the appropriate mounting height for it, and it uses a pcb + harness for the switches, so you won't have to do any soldering with it.

lettuce your stick is mounted too high. SRK says 24-25mm is standrd from panel to ball top bottom. Madcatz TE sticks are 22mm from panel to ball top bottom.

McNum

Thanks a lot, I just knew something was wrong... So better ask than do something stupid.

The buttons I'm looking at, then are:
6 Seimitsu PS-14-GN-CP, white
2 Seimitsu PS-14-GN-CP, black
These are the 30mm version of the ones before.

And for stick, I'll want this:
Siemitsu LS-32-01
I seem to remember something about needing to flip a part upside down to fit this, but it should work, right?

Well, I pretty much got it as wrong as I could, but hey, at least I got the ball right. :lol

That should get me buttons that fit, even if I'll have to screw them in (I think that should go easily enough), a stick where I don't have to solder, and a pretty ball for said stick. At least I think it should.

McNum said:
Thanks a lot, I just knew something was wrong... So better ask than do something stupid.

The buttons I'm looking at, then are:
6 Seimitsu PS-14-GN-CP, white
2 Seimitsu PS-14-GN-CP, black
These are the 30mm version of the ones before.

And for stick, I'll want this:
Siemitsu LS-32-01
I seem to remember something about needing to flip a part upside down to fit this, but it should work, right?

Well, I pretty much got it as wrong as I could, but hey, at least I got the ball right. :lol

That should get me buttons that fit, even if I'll have to screw them in (I think that should go easily enough), a stick where I don't have to solder, and a pretty ball for said stick. At least I think it should.

That will definitely work.

McNum

hikarutilmitt said:
That will definitely work.
Awesome, thanks! Not the most unique choice of colors for me, mind you, but I kind of like it the way it is, except I want it clear.

Now the stick God's Beard just posted, that is unique. Cool idea. Slightly ugly, but intentionally so, which makes it awesome. Is that wear painted on, or actually worn through?

McNum said:
Awesome, thanks! Not the most unique choice of colors for me, mind you, but I kind of like it the way it is, except I want it clear.

Now the stick God's Beard just posted, that is unique. Cool idea. Slightly ugly, but intentionally so, which makes it awesome. Is that wear painted on, or actually worn through?

Actually worn through.

Yes Boss!

MarkMan said:
Maybe, but not as of now.
Hmmm...no amazon.

Thinking I should just order one and send it to my so cal place and just carry it back with me when I visit over the holidays.

Damn, really need a PS3 stick...only got a sole 360 stick with me currently. And all my fighter games I brought are PS3 versions.

Yes Boss!

_dementia said:
Have you thought about dual-modding? It's a space saver, that's for sure.
Sounds like I should. I've got that white 360 Hori V thingie arriving in a week or two. What would I need to get that one set up for both 360 and PS3?

Glix

Guys, the art is starting to peel on my Tekken 6 wireless xbox360 stick.

I wanna take it apart and put new art on. I can do this kind of stuff, as I have already taken apart my HRAP EX and put new buttons in.

I know the Tekken stick is kind of a cheapie, does it have any insane bullshit that I shoudl know before I open it? You know, crazy shit like the buttons being soldered directly to the PCB or something...

Glix said:
Guys, the art is starting to peel on my Tekken 6 wireless xbox360 stick.

I wanna take it apart and put new art on. I can do this kind of stuff, as I have already taken apart my HRAP EX and put new buttons in.

I know the Tekken stick is kind of a cheapie, does it have any insane bullshit that I shoudl know before I open it? You know, crazy shit like the buttons being soldered directly to the PCB or something...
:lol Man, you just said what one of the biggest issues is.

Well I officially got my first arcade stick ever, thanks to the Mad Catz sale.

So far, its a bit tough to figure out. I kind of feel like I'm not in full control of my character, but I think it is more of me thinking about every action before I do it, which will go away the more I use it.

The positive, however, is that I can throw out specials, supers, and ultras like its nobody's business. The stick just flat out obliterates a pad in that department.

Now for the other issue I have...how in the world do you guys hold your hand for button use? Do you hover over the buttons? Use all five fingers? I feel like right now I'm choosing to either focus on punches or kicks at the expense of the other instead of being able to take advantage of any button simultaneously.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
SlaughterX said:
How long does it take for MadCatz to process an order? The stick I ordered on the 30th still hasn't shipped!

2 business days usually (on average). We tend to get backed up on weekends when we have this promo (note nothing get's processed on the weekend). So that might be the issue.

I'm sure they got to your order today.

---

Also, check out what I got from World Cyber Games Grand Finals!

I was very happy that the WCG organizers presented me with two of these Korean/Sanwa hybrid arcade sticks that were used for the TEKKEN 6 tournament. They're metal casings with a custom/hacked wireless Xbox 360 first party controller. Check it out:

64681_437889968882_507353882_5289855_4378476_n.jpg

blizzardjesus said:
Does this mean i can duel mod my ps3 tournament stick to work on 360?
Yeah, but you'll have to remove the original Madcatz PCB and replace it with the Akishop one. That PCB is more aimed at custom stick builds, because it's an all-inclusive solution, but you can use it with your TE and you'll just have a spare madcatz PS3 controller PCB to use for whatever.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
robotzombie said:
Well I officially got my first arcade stick ever, thanks to the Mad Catz sale.

So far, its a bit tough to figure out. I kind of feel like I'm not in full control of my character, but I think it is more of me thinking about every action before I do it, which will go away the more I use it.

The positive, however, is that I can throw out specials, supers, and ultras like its nobody's business. The stick just flat out obliterates a pad in that department.

Now for the other issue I have...how in the world do you guys hold your hand for button use? Do you hover over the buttons? Use all five fingers? I feel like right now I'm choosing to either focus on punches or kicks at the expense of the other instead of being able to take advantage of any button simultaneously.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated

Welcome to the wonderful world of joysticks!

Getting used to buttons / learning hand placement is also a matter of practice... as you use it, you'll get so familiar with the layout that you'll be able to shift your hand around to get to the buttons you need. A lot of people have a "home position" of thumb on LK, index on LP, middle on MP, ring on HP, and pinky on HK... a nice central position from which you can move your hand as needed. So maybe give that a shot?

I'd just play around with your go-to combos and getting used to hitting throws, focus attacks, etc. in training mode for a bit and your hand will probably figure out the most comfortable "fingering" on its own.

While you do, you might as well practice techniques that take advantage of the buttons like plinking, pianoing, double tapping, etc.

G'luck!

MarkMan said:
2 business days usually (on average). We tend to get backed up on weekends when we have this promo (note nothing get's processed on the weekend). So that might be the issue.

I'm sure they got to your order today.

Yeah I just got the shipping confirmation. I don't know why I am being so impatient, I probably won't even open it. The MvsC2 TE stick I bought at the begining of the summer is still unopened. I JUST WANT TO HAVE IT!

You still haven't told me how to change my password on the MadCatz site though...

MoxManiac

Hey Markman (or anyone else that would know). Got a question about the fightstick SE. I'm converting a 360 one that's been gutted, to a PS2 stick through a padhack. My question is about the start/select buttons. I notice they press on a little PCB inside, with wires attached to it. Can I just solder those wires coming from that little PCB onto the pad to get start/select functionality? The PCB just routes a signal to those wires, no specific SE commands/instructions, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom