• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF AUGUST 2010 Pick-Up Post! (Real pics or BAN!) Show Us Your Gaming Goods!

Quake1028

eqYJ6.jpg

JEKKI

omg these are so good!!!

9rrs6e.jpg

got them at Smart & Final, I filled my drawer at work with them and snack on em all day!!!

15p2001.jpg

so hype for this game!!

I cant wait to place it rite beside Peace Walker in the backlog since I dont got time to play it!! ;_;

fukk Starcraft.

isny said:
aww u suck.

I was tryin to buy tickets for Los Angeles show the other day.

like $150... no thanks. X_X

donkey show said:
Daikokuya! <3

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Koroshi said:
How is the image quality?

This is my second ASUS monitor and I'm very pleased with it. These monitors are great for gaming. With this one in particular, it's very hard to complain for only $199. The image quality is sharp and it's a bit brighter than the regular LCD I have. I think that the colors are not quite as vibrant as they could be, but there are different picture settings and you can mess around with the saturation levels.

CryptiK said:
Lyte Edge said:
Just got a new monitor. Or should I say, just got my second new monitor in a week. Initially I ordered the HP 2310m, but it was so bright and glossy that I was having difficulty looking at the screen without getting headaches. My eyes literally hurt looking at it, so it got shipped back, and I went with my trusted brand, ASUS.

Got the ASUS MS238H 23" LED-backlit LCD monitor. I was using an ASUS VK266H 25.5" LCD monitor prior to getting this today. It was great for PC/Mac use, but I got tired of the 16:10 aspect ratio affecting console games, so I decided to get a 16:9 monitor.

The MS238H is awesome! Very similar image to my other ASUS monitor, but the white levels are brighter/whiter and the monitor itself is incredibly thin and light. It uses a touch panel in place of buttons. The trade-off is that it doesn't have built-in speakers or a webcam, but I don't need the latter and it's got a speaker output for HDMI, so I'm good to go with my PC speakers.

It's great for console gaming (just like the "Evo monitor") and has a 2ms refresh rate with no input lag issues. Pretty nice for only $199.

06xSBl.jpg
ZBU08l.jpg

Zdv87l.jpg
wMv5Sl.jpg

If I were to hook up my PS3 would this display in 720p or upscale to 1080p in other words does this monitor support 720p HDMI.

Yes, 720P is supported and it will also upscale 720P games to 1080P. My other ASUS monitor had a problem where it would run 720P PS3 windowed (when set to a 1:1 aspect ratio; it's a 16:10 monitor so stretching was a problem and why I bought this new one), but I just set the PS3 to 720P to check and it ran full screen.

Azure Phoenix said:
That monitor is absolutely stunning, but I can't seem to find much acknowledgment of it's existence. Is it a fairly new release or something?

There aren't even any major UK stores listing it, just a few small independent ones selling it for the equivalent of $350.

I'm not sure about the UK, but it looks like this monitor came out earlier this year. It's got to be at least several months old.

There's a CNET review of it here, but they keep going off on how the ring stand is unstable, yet they are not using the included plastic wedge that you snap onto the stand for added stability.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWMlokMFePk

I tried tapping it like they did in the video and it did not tip over. It's been sitting on my desk the past few days in the same spot, just like any other monitor. And that plastic wedge they didn't use also lets you have the monitor at a closer to 90 degree angle.

I really would like to know WHY they didn't use that piece. But then again, an ASUS promo video I found didn't show it either. Maybe the initial models didn't have it or something.

Although it's difficult to find a significant fault with Asus' 23-inch LED-based MS238H--thanks to its low $190 price--the monitor does give you amble opportunity to do so. As a result of its design, the display is constantly tilted 10 degrees back, making it sometimes difficult to see the screen correctly. Because of its constant tilt, the monitor topples with the slightest disturbance, and its adds a slight green push to its images. However, its overall performance is good and its footstand has a novel design that adds to the monitor's aesthetic appeal. If paying no more than $200 for a new monitor is a priority for you, we recommend that you buy the MS238H because of its overall satisfying performance. If you can afford another $100, we recommend that you buy either the Samsung XL2370 or the PX2370 because of their superior performance.

Design and features
At first glance, the Asus MS238H strikes us as a typically stylish monitor with a thin, black, glossy chassis and a minimalist OSD array. However, the display stands out thanks to a unique, wheel-like, circular band that is the monitor's stand. The 5-inch diameter band props up the monitor from the bottom of its back, leaving no space between the bottom of the panel and the desktop. Although the panel tilts an additional 10 degrees, because of the wheel stand, the panel remains tilted 10 degree at all times and is never at a perfect 90 degree angle. The stand keeps the monitor stabilized when knocked from the sides; however, when it encounters a force from the front--like a light breeze--it topples over. OK, a light breeze probably isn't strong enough, but a light knock with your fist definitely is. The bezel is 1.2 inches wide on the sides and the panel is a short 0.6 inch deep at its most shallow and about 1.5 inches at its deepest depth. The monitor does not have height, pivot, or swivel adjustment options.

The monitor includes VGA and HDMI connections. Thankfully, Asus includes an HDMI to DVI cable. The monitor's connections are located on the back, lower-right corner and are clearly labeled and easily accessible. To the right of the VGA input is a headphone jack labeled "For HDMI."

Like the Samsung P2450h, the MS238H forgoes buttons, in favor of "touch areas." Asus denotes each area with a small white circle and each has a different function. The actual button labels, which glow white, appear above the dots once the area is touched. We were able to calibrate the monitor in a dark room easily since the buttons don't require pinpoint accuracy to function and the illumination of the button labels are enough of a guide.

The onscreen display button array consists of a Menu button, an Up and Down button, a Source button, and a preset cycle button. The monitor's Up and Down buttons also doubles as the Brightness and Contrast shortcuts. Navigating the OSD is simple, although it took us a few minutes to get accustom to using Menu as the "Enter" button. The MS238H's preset modes include Standard, Theater, Game, Night View, and Scenery. Each preset changes the color temperature and brightness of the display with the intent of them being appropriate to the task at hand. Its additional color preset options include Cool, Normal, Warm, SRGB, and User Mode; the latter letting you change the RGB values individually. Finally, the "Skin Tone" option includes a Reddish, Bluish, and Normal setting.

Design highlights:
Connectivity: HDMI, VGA
Ergonomic options: Up to 20 degree back tilt
Resolution: 1,920x1,080 pixels
Aspect ratio: 16:9
Audio: Headphone jack
VESA support: No
Feature highlights:
Included video cables? HDMI to DVI, VGA
Backlight: LED
Panel Type: TN
Screen film: Matte
Pixel-response rate: 2ms (Gray to Gray)
Number of presets: 5
Overdrive: No
Picture options: Brightness, Contrast, Sharpness, and Saturation
Color controls: Cool, Normal, Warm, sRGB, Reddish, Bluish
Gamma control: No

Again, for $199, this is a great monitor. I was initially looking to get the 23" ASUS "evo monitor" (recommended for fighting games), which is essentially a 16:9 version of the 16:10 monitor I already had, then saw the MS238H listed on Amazon for only $20 more. Not that there's anything wrong with the older models, but with the MS238H and VK266H I have set up side by side, the MS238H's picture is slightly better-- whites in particular are better.

There's also the ML Designo series from ASUS which has a different kind of ring stand (it looks better and allows for swivel; otherwise the monitor looks exactly the same), but I couldn't find any other info. Not sure if they are out yet.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
isny said:
Looking forward to these dates! (I saw them at the Apollo in Harlem, so this will be a much different experience!)

Bummed about no recording at either venue though...I can't see how they expect to enforce this though with so many thousands of people.

154f6f8.jpg

I'm going to the one Oct. 11th.

Alucrid

Banned
LiK said:
yea, it has English subs. and it cost $150USD with shipping from Amazon JP

btw, that monitor looks awesome.

*powerrangecoffee.gif

Dayum, I hope it releases for less in the US...I'd bite 60-80.

Lyte Edge said:
This is my second ASUS monitor and I'm very pleased with it. These monitors are great for gaming. With this one in particular, it's very hard to complain for only $199. The image quality is sharp and it's a bit brighter than the regular LCD I have. I think that the colors are not quite as vibrant as they could be, but there are different picture settings and you can mess around with the saturation levels.
Is it pixely or blocky at all?

Lyte Edge

Koroshi said:
Is it pixely or blocky at all?

I'm running my PC/360/PS3 through HDMI and it's pretty smooth. The drawback to that is that you get a slightly softer picture, but keep in mind I haven't gone crazy with calibration stuff yet and am just using the standard picture setting (which has no sharpness adjustment; others settings offer it). It's very easy on the eyes.

Also this monitor lacks built-in speakers. Other ASUS models have them. Thankfully you can hook up speakers/headphones for sound with HDMI.

Alucrid

Banned
Lyte Edge said:
I'm running my PC/360/PS3 through HDMI and it's pretty smooth. The drawback to that is that you get a slightly softer picture, but keep in mind I haven't gone crazy with calibration stuff yet and am just using the standard picture setting (which has no sharpness adjustment; others settings offer it). It's very easy on the eyes.

Also this monitor lacks built-in speakers. Other ASUS models have them. Thankfully you can hook up speakers/headphones for sound with HDMI.

Awesome. I just bought a 21'' monitor last year, but hey, if I ever find myself with a spare 200 I know what I'm doing. Especially since mine has a dead pixel. :|

Lyte Edge

Alucrid said:
Awesome. I just bought a 21'' monitor last year, but hey, if I ever find myself with a spare 200 I know what I'm doing. Especially since mine has a dead pixel. :|

Yeah, the other monitor I have has one dead pixel too. Right in the middle of the screen! I got used to it but man it could get annoying. Fortunately this one has no problems, and plus it seems that Amazon will replace monitors with dead pixels for free. They have a pretty nice return policy, too- the HP 2310m monitor I got from them last week that I couldn't stand? $20 restock fee, shipping already paid.

I really didn't need this new monitor, but the 16:9 1:1 options on my other monitor were annoying, and I was tired of playing games stretched. So I found $197 in old games I didn't care about and traded them into Amazon, and then used the credit to buy a monitor. Barely any money spent out of my own pocket. I've been wanting a PSP 3000 and may do the same thing again to get one of those-- can already knock $30 off the price if I trade them my old 1000.

djdac said:

Still waiting on NCSX to get these in. Man, they're slow.

Lyte Edge said:
Yeah, the other monitor I have has one dead pixel too. Right in the middle of the screen! I got used to it but man it could get annoying. Fortunately this one has no problems, and plus it seems that Amazon will replace monitors with dead pixels for free. They have a pretty nice return policy, too- the HP 2310m monitor I got from them last week that I couldn't stand? $20 restock fee, shipping already paid.
Wait - if I get that monitor and don't like it, I can get my money back?

JEKKI said:
Daikokuya! <3
Hell yeah! *fistbump* Tsukemen w/ Kotteri all day! I'm so glad they opened one up in Hacienda Heights. Instead of 35 minutes to LA, it's just 15 over there. :D

And a nice pickup at lunch:

2010augustpickups06.jpg

ACE:R (PS3), SD Gashapon Wars (Wii), and a Wendy's bacon and cheese baked potato. :D

bPod

IMG_0485.jpg

Sackboy is new; madcatz sdcc edition controller is a year old, but cracked it open for Sackboy to display

IMG_0494.jpg

A few new blu-rays

IMG_0490.jpg

Reading material

IMG_0487.jpg

more reading material

IMG_0489.jpg

...more reading material - she's so hot!

IMG_0496.jpg

IronMan 2 Arc Reactor shirt

IMG_0498.jpg

Need to go running

neoism

donkey show said:
Hell yeah! *fistbump* Tsukemen w/ Kotteri all day! I'm so glad they opened one up in Hacienda Heights. Instead of 35 minutes to LA, it's just 15 over there. :D

And a nice pickup at lunch:

2010augustpickups06.jpg

ACE:R (PS3), SD Gashapon Wars (Wii), and a Wendy's bacon and cheese baked potato. :D
I have to say man... You live goood! :)

9sw5lu.jpg
[/IMG]

Bumper was purchased a while back but got the refund from apple store, which i used for
Battery Charger.

Dexter:The Fourth Season Bluray from Amazon:D

Ultima_5

Gamecube, controllers, memory card, and games cost me a total of $30. Shadow of colsus cost me $7, and ecco cost me $3 (friend had it, didn't want it...). Tomb raider cost me $1.Metal gear was less than $8 and Megaman 8 cost me $10...
101_0702.jpg

101_0700.jpg

Tiduz

Eurogaime
bPod said:
IMG_0485.jpg

Sackboy is new; madcatz sdcc edition controller is a year old, but cracked it open for Sackboy to display

does anyone know if this is available in holland? :O ( the sackboy)

Aesius

Lyte Edge said:
Just got a new monitor. Or should I say, just got my second new monitor in a week. Initially I ordered the HP 2310m, but it was so bright and glossy that I was having difficulty looking at the screen without getting headaches. My eyes literally hurt looking at it, so it got shipped back, and I went with my trusted brand, ASUS.

Got the ASUS MS238H 23" LED-backlit LCD monitor. I was using an ASUS VK266H 25.5" LCD monitor prior to getting this today. It was great for PC/Mac use, but I got tired of the 16:10 aspect ratio affecting console games, so I decided to get a 16:9 monitor.

The MS238H is awesome! Very similar image to my other ASUS monitor, but the white levels are brighter/whiter and the monitor itself is incredibly thin and light. It uses a touch panel in place of buttons. The trade-off is that it doesn't have built-in speakers or a webcam, but I don't need the latter and it's got a speaker output for HDMI, so I'm good to go with my PC speakers.

It's great for console gaming (just like the "Evo monitor") and has a 2ms refresh rate with no input lag issues. Pretty nice for only $199.

06xSBl.jpg
ZBU08l.jpg

Zdv87l.jpg
wMv5Sl.jpg

I've got this monitor as well.

It owns. IT OWNS!!! But seriously - it's the best monitor I've ever used. No, it's not an IPS monitor and it won't give you 100% accurate color reproduction. But the image quality is great and it just looks cool. Fast response time, 1080p - yeahhh.

No, it won't stand 90 degrees unless you put something under the plastic piece that clips on the stand. Pretty easy to do. I have a stack of a few CD-Rs sitting under it and it's near 90 degrees now. I'm also considering using some kind of Velcro straps and mounting it on the wall - it only weighs about 8 lbs.

rockmang15 said:
Ikea sells too much stuff! I can't find them lol. Antiquegamer do you happen to remember the name of the cabinets?

I have 2 of these too, searched on the italian ikea web site, but cannot find them no more... they might have dismissed them.... damn in 1 year I was gonna buy 2-3 more....

Lyte Edge

Koroshi said:
Wait - if I get that monitor and don't like it, I can get my money back?

Yup! That's why Amazon is so fucking awesome! You just pay their restock fee which is pretty small. In my case, they screwed up and treated the return like a PC (larger return fee), and ended up giving me more back for the HP monitor I returned. It cost me $216 with overnight shipping, and I ended up getting $210 back! :D

Aesius said:
Lyte Edge said:

06xSBl.jpg
ZBU08l.jpg

Zdv87l.jpg
wMv5Sl.jpg

I've got this monitor as well.

It owns. IT OWNS!!! But seriously - it's the best monitor I've ever used. No, it's not an IPS monitor and it won't give you 100% accurate color reproduction. But the image quality is great and it just looks cool. Fast response time, 1080p - yeahhh.

No, it won't stand 90 degrees unless you put something under the plastic piece that clips on the stand. Pretty easy to do. I have a stack of a few CD-Rs sitting under it and it's near 90 degrees now. I'm also considering using some kind of Velcro straps and mounting it on the wall - it only weighs about 8 lbs.

Yeah, I can't get over how thin and light this monitor is. I don't even care about the 90 degree angle thing-- it looks the same to me slightly tilted as is.

I am convinced that ASUS is the manufacturer to go with for cheap LCD monitors. This thing is fuckin' perfect for me.

Akim

Banned
Some things from my time in Frankfurt

2BVBR.jpg

Eintracht kit

SNpJv.jpg

Muchen jacket so once they win the Bundesliga, I can bandwagon them in the states.

y7Cwx.jpg

backpack and soccer ball

b9W1p.jpg

Bus ticket to Paris, leaves tonight :D

N0pPU.jpg

anddd mezzo mix

bPod

practice02 said:

gotta love the Bats!

suffah said:
First steelcase BluRay I've seen in these threads. Do you collect em, or just happen to get the horizontal one for BoE?

I just happen to have ran into it; I always try to get them, but by the time I get off work, they're all gone

Tiduz said:
does anyone know if this is available in holland? :O ( the sackboy)

I got this from UK ebay seller; i think they are floating around there somewhere

-PXG-

Tokyo Rain said:
Where can I score this artwork?

Check your PMs

Big Papa Husker said:
Picked up a new cable modem today... All I have to say is HOLY SHIT its fast! :lol I also got those N64 games at a Goodwill for $1 each. :D

08-2010-4.jpg

Ogre Battle for a buck? Sumumum bitch.

Top Bottom